Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:23 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALA: NO EXCUSES
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:55 am 
Heavyweight

Pacwan wrote:
The ALA boxers are technically the best boxers in the Philippines in my opinion.
I disagree from other posters that they are not world class but they are.
That doesn't mean there is no more room for improvement though.
The statements made by ALA are music to the ears after experiencing defeat,
"No Excuses" seems to be the honorable statement.
Some of the statements caught my attention and if you read between the lines,
Ala has actually pointed most of the mistakes to their fighter AJ Banal. Sorry, correct
me if i'm wrong because im only human and bound to commit mistake in reading and understanding:

First point: He said Concepcion wanted it more
- seems to me that he implied that AJ fell short in in this department.
His team was asking AJ to get up but AJ didn't. Ala implied from the
interview that he still doesn't know what AJ was thinking then. They believe
he can finish the fight and can still win on points.

-> My point of view is this, AJ Banal collapsed twice before reaching the hospital.
The doctor found that he is low in sodium and electrolytes, dehydrated, tired. Isnt this enough
to prove that the body of AJ cannot do it ? As AJ said, my mind wanted me to continue but
my body cannot do it.

Second point: Ala said "AJ allowed himself to get hit in the body"
- what is his team or his coach doing in between rounds. The responsibility of his team especially the
coach is to guide their fighter. AJ Banal is only 19 yrs old, still a boy in boxing terms,
not enough experience and needs a lot of guidance from his trainer and coach.

Yes he is right there is "No Excuses" but some of this should be accepted as a team.
Training, conditioning, defense, these are some of the things that the stable should
look into and improve. Just my constructive criticism po :)

agree. including that opinion about the corner.

however, we also dont know if inded the corner reminded AJ to not allow concepcion to pound him on the body recklessly... if the corner reminded aj, then it will again boil down to aj's maturity atop the ring. if the corner missed it, then its the corner's fault. thats just that simple.

i just cant understand why the hate of some on ala management. their bashing borders on the extreme.

If you have been criticized and charged with negative things by other people; don't get affected. Their opinion is not your reality. It's theirs. Their negativity is a reflection of their own unhappy existence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 am 
Light Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:

But one must look at the statement of ALA himself as thought provoking when he said, "Concepcion wanted it more," because it can only mean that Banal wanted it less.

The question is then raised, is Tony himself taking a closer look at Banal's "desire"? Is that what is meant by that statment, given the fact that Tony himself is circumspect about his take on why Banal refused to beat the count, as he merely said, "I do not know what was on his mind"?

If that is so, then there's a bigger problem than just the apparent physical issues. Lack of desire is much more difficult to cure than stamina issues, I think.

Tony is an experienced boxingman; 20 years in the sport. On top of that, he is like a father to Banal. He is in the best position to do something about it. But before he can administer the cure, he has to know the ailment. His statements above tell me that he thinks he does, and I believe he's right.

Lack of desire? Come on. His body broke down. It gave up on him. Period.

He even collapsed on the way to the dressing room according to Ed Picson.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 am 
Heavyweight

can somebody post the article here? i can't open it. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:00 pm 

JAXAN wrote:
can somebody post the article here? i can't open it. :(

Pages: ALA says: ‘No excuses, he wanted it more’
By John Pages
Match Point

WHEN Antonio Lopez Aldeguer speaks, you listen. Yesterday morning, exactly 36 hours after his most prized apprentice, AJ “Bazooka” Banal, collapsed in one of Cebu’s monumental upsets, I listened.

When I asked how he felt, ALA didn’t suppress his feelings.

“Very, very low,” he replied.

Understandably so. AJ Banal, only 19, lived half of his life with the Aldeguers. Residing in Brgy. Ermita, he was plucked from the doldrums and hand-picked as The Chosen One. To the ALA clan, he’s “a member of our family.”

How is AJ? I asked.

“He’s doing okay,” Mr. Aldeguer said. “He’ll be out of the hospital today. Nothing serious, no injuries.”

What transpired next was an 11-minute phone conversation I had with ALA, whose insights and acumen are unmatched in boxing.

What happened? I queried.

“His body collapsed,” ALA said. “He allowed himself to be hit. AJ took a lot of punches to the liver. He received too many body punches.”

Should the referee, I inquired, have stepped in more to stop Concepcion from punching while they were locked together?

“I don’t want to make that as an alibi,” he said. “AJ just got hit and hit in the body. AJ should not have held Concepcion’s arm and allowed him to box him using his other hand.”

Excuses, you see, ALA despises. Always, he is direct and candid.

Over-trained? Was AJ?

“No,” he said. “I’ve been reading a lot of reports saying that. That’s not true. On the matter of conditioning, AJ was better-conditioned.

“Factor one: AJ’s weight was a perfect 115 lbs. The opponent? He had to shed 1 ½ lbs. the day before. The week before the fight, Concepcion also had to reduce weight. Next, jet lag, which Concepcion had to endure. Plus, we were at our place (Cebu) while the opponent had to adjust to the hotel, to the food...”

When I mentioned to ALA that, based on many reports, AJ Banal was superbly trained—and that’s why his looking fatigued starting the seventh round was perplexing—he agreed.

“AJ is actually the perfect athlete to train,” he said. “He is very dedicated and disciplined. He is a good boy. And his attitude is fantastic. His mistake was that he allowed himself to be hit.”

In that 10th round, I next asked Mr. Aldeguer, we all saw that AJ stood up right after the referee’s 10th count. Why didn’t he stand before the final count and, instead, run around to exhaust the remaining 25 seconds?

“We don’t know what’s on his mind,” said ALA. “Yes, he was winning comfortably in points and could have easily won the fight had he stayed on. But we don’t know. Only AJ can answer that. We don’t know what he was thinking at that point.”

As to Rafael Concepcion? Like all of us who witnessed the fight at the jam-packed Cebu Coliseum—and to the tens of thousands more who watched on TV—ALA was all praises for “El Torito.”

“Concepcion wanted it more,” said ALA. “No excuses. We lost the fight because the other guy wanted it more.”

True. In boxing, more than any other sport because it’s one-on-one, that adage is unquestionable: Whoever wants it more, wins. And, last Saturday, the Panamanian had more guts, tenacity, spirit.

Asking where he was inside the Cebu Coliseum because I didn’t see him, Aldeguer replied, “You’ll never see me near the ring. I watched fronting the TV because I can analyze the fight better. Also, I don’t want the limelight. I don’t want the TV focus. In my 20 plus years in boxing, I’ve never stood beside the ring. I’ve never gotten up the ring. I want the honor to go to the boxers.”

Finally, I asked, “What, to you, is failure? You’ve witnessed, through the decades, a lot of defeats in boxing. How do you define failure?”

His answer, as expected, was awe-inspiring. An ALA to AJ admonition, he said: “You never reach the top unless you reach the bottom.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:01 pm 
Welterweight

if i may add...

ALA is almost there. almost.

when AJ allowed himself to get hit everytime they clinched, how come his corner did not made any adjustment? an obvious scenario the whole time. if they did then how come AJ did nothing?

winning is still a team effort. if only the cornermen made the right adjustment at the right time... haayyyy...

ALA needs a boxing clinic from team Roach for all the boxers, coaches and trainers.

imo, AJ did the right thing to just wait til the count of ten. if he listened to his corner, then it could have been more humiliating. at least i saw a thinking fighter.

a thinking fighter? then how come he allowed himself to receive those "free kick" (in soccer)?

my answer: AJ is still young and such a clean fighter and doesn't know how to do dirty tricks. he needs this kind of experience to his ticket to the top. ALA boxers esp the young should learn to be "magulang" (smart).

also, i think ALA should invite/hire "dirty" sparring partners.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:02 pm 

HeHitsTheFloorAgain wrote:
IronWood_Cebu wrote:

you got me wrong, why would he do that, its his boxers anyway??? 8)
i said that ALA has s0me faults also, get it?
im also saying that hyping is really one of the reasons. :shock:

i dont think ALA hyped AJ.. if you happen to follow AJ's career, he has been paired with quality opponents... you go through the records of his previous opponents, theyre good.

the kid, prior to this loss, was simply extra-ordinary. he have been knocking out good quality opponents... of course, if you have that kind of record, the media will pick it up.

i dont expect ALA to prevent the media to report AJ's exploits, do you?

that's my point, very well said.! 8)

Now you're agreeing to someone who just disagreed with your previous post. Do I get it? NO :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:04 pm 
Heavyweight

“His body collapsed,” ALA said. “He allowed himself to be hit. AJ took a lot of punches to the liver. He received too many body punches.”

Should the referee, I inquired, have stepped in more to stop Concepcion from punching while they were locked together?

“I don’t want to make that as an alibi,” he said. “AJ just got hit and hit in the body. AJ should not have held Concepcion’s arm and allowed him to box him using his other hand.”

what puzzled me was that why AJ's corner never gave instructions to hold both concepcion's arms when clinching. or was there an instruction? it looked like there wasn't as AJ never made any attempt to held on to concepcion's right arm that was so free in pumelling his kidney section everytime they clinched. the clinching and the body punches during the clinch was the very big factor why AJ ran out of gas. his corner should have corrected that in the earlier rounds. obviously they never did.........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:13 pm 
Light Heavyweight

What puzzled me more was why the hell Raul Caiz didn't do anything to stop Concepcion from punching AJ while clinching.

Light Heavyweight

the_answer wrote:
grayfist wrote:

But one must look at the statement of ALA himself as thought provoking when he said, "Concepcion wanted it more," because it can only mean that Banal wanted it less.

The question is then raised, is Tony himself taking a closer look at Banal's "desire"? Is that what is meant by that statment, given the fact that Tony himself is circumspect about his take on why Banal refused to beat the count, as he merely said, "I do not know what was on his mind"?

If that is so, then there's a bigger problem than just the apparent physical issues. Lack of desire is much more difficult to cure than stamina issues, I think.

Tony is an experienced boxingman; 20 years in the sport. On top of that, he is like a father to Banal. He is in the best position to do something about it. But before he can administer the cure, he has to know the ailment. His statements above tell me that he thinks he does, and I believe he's right.

Lack of desire? Come on. His body broke down. It gave up on him. Period.

He even collapsed on the way to the dressing room according to Ed Picson.
I am not the one saying Banal lacks desire. I am interpreting what Tony Aldeguer meant when he said, "Concepcion wanted it more". Like I said, such a statement can only mean that Aldeguer himself thinks Banal wanted it less. How else can such a statement be understood?

As for Banal's body breaking down, I am sure Mr. Aldeguer knows more about that than I can ever learn, so I won't offer anything in that regard other than the fact that inspite of that knowledge, Mr. Aldeguyer compared Concepcion's desire to that of AJ's. This is saying something.

On top of that, he spoke of not knowing what was on AJ's mind when he could have just stopped at saying the body just could not take it anymore. To use your word, "Period". But he went on. He even is quoted in the article to the effect that he thinks AJ could have stood up, finished the bout by staying away from Concepcion and win. (Refer to the article here kindly posted in full by DaBizz).

I think you should refer your points to Mr. Aldeguer, not me.

Last edited by grayfist on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heavyweight

DaBizz wrote:
caloy76 wrote:
A reaction to Ala's quote.

"the higher you fly, the harder the fall"

"the bigger the hype, the bigger the disappointment"

;)

Question: Is it ALA's fault if the Philippine and some foreign sportswriters are hyping his fighters up?

no, but they have s0me faults also,. :shock:
the hyping is the factor h0w deep is our downfall is. 8)
who is hyping the ala boxers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:17 pm 
Cruiserweight

Hype becomes a fault when it gets inside someone's head....;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:18 pm 
Heavyweight

the_answer wrote:
What puzzled me more was why the hell Raul Caiz didn't do anything to stop Concepcion from punching AJ while clinching.
after so many clinching and punching by concepcion....it became very obvious that the ref have plans of his own. so, AJ's corner should not wait for the ref to intervene anymore.....they should have corrected that themselves......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm 
Cruiserweight

yeah to ALA boxers, STOP being good boys or trying to be good boys. They must learn to use headbutts and low blows when needed. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Ramrod wrote:
the_answer wrote:
after so many clinching and punching by concepcion....it became very obvious that the ref have plans of his own. so, AJ's corner should not wait for the ref to intervene anymore.....they should have corrected that themselves......

And now presenting the million-dollar question: Did AJ open up to his corner during the in-between round breaks that those sucker punches by Concepcion was bothering him?

The corner may have ignored those punches simply because they may have thought those were non-factors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 pm 
Light Heavyweight

dear MODS,

the problem is only few here are actually boxing fans, most people here are Pacfans that's why when you ask for constructive criticism, few could only do that because they are unfair to other boxers besides their idol. When Pac is the one who's in trouble they are quick to make excuses like on his 2nd fight w/ Marquez, clearly he was owned in that fight but when it comes to other Philippine boxers most people here judge them easily, calling them names and saying the most harmful things they can imagine. see how few people can only reply here? where are those haters now?

Here are the reasons I think why AJ lost that fight.

1. He failed to finish Concepcion when he got him hurt and he paid for that with a lot of body punches w/ clinging.

2. He didn't do anything with those body punches of Concepcion that somehow looked illegal because Concepcion is holding him while he's doing that. I think that greatly contributed to his downfall.

3. I think his will was broken when he couldn't finish Concepcion, while his opponent on the other hand continues to keep coming at him.

4. I think he was surprised at how tough Concepcion is, he was never pressured that way before and i think he succumbed to it.

5. So all in all the reason I think why AJ didn't stand up when he got knocked down is because of the things I mentioned. I think AJ's conditioning is good btw.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next