Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:51 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 am 
Cruiserweight

dencioPT101 wrote:

i likewise don't understand his basis of saying he made the right choice. by giving a person loop diuretics it maybe the most potent diuretic but it also produces hypokalemia. maybe he meant it is effective in losing weight in time for the weigh in but disregarding it's potential side effects like hypokalemia.

Its very unfortunate bro that some of our fellow Paclanders here dont have enough knowledge about the detrimental effects of loop diuretics like Furosemide. They think the drug is so safe that neither oral nor intravenous preparations of this drug causes no harm to them when in fact it is one of the most potent drugs out there causing hypokalemia, aside from exerting a hypotensive effect. They have made the wrong choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:57 am 
Welterweight

I stand by my statement. Im a doctor by profession and I already know all of the basics coz weve been taught about these things in medical school. I just wanna make things clear that Furosemide is not the drug of choice for those kind of procedures.

Its Triamterene, not Triamtere as you have mentioned. Peace![/quote]

i likewise don't understand his basis of saying he made the right choice. by giving a person loop diuretics it maybe the most potent diuretic but it also produces hypokalemia. maybe he meant it is effective in losing weight in time for the weigh in but disregarding it's potential side effects like hypokalemia.[/quote]

I was pertaining to junpals guys...and its IRONY....Sorry for the typo error, no need to say what you do, I know with the way you post...Cheers colleague!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:09 am 
Welterweight

robzuki wrote:
dencioPT101 wrote:

i likewise don't understand his basis of saying he made the right choice. by giving a person loop diuretics it maybe the most potent diuretic but it also produces hypokalemia. maybe he meant it is effective in losing weight in time for the weigh in but disregarding it's potential side effects like hypokalemia.

Its very unfortunate bro that some of our fellow Paclanders here dont have enough knowledge about the detrimental effects of loop diuretics like Furosemide. They think the drug is so safe that neither oral nor intravenous preparations of this drug causes no harm to them when in fact it is one of the most potent drugs out there causing hypokalemia, aside from exerting a hypotensive effect. They have made the wrong choice.

You might have misunderstood me, let me say it straight...They were wrong when they took lasix instead of the other family diuretics which are the potassium sparers, loop diuretics(including furosemide) shouldnt be taken by any boxer because of the potential effects of hypokalemia, but if they took the potassium sparers, could have been much acceptable because they would keep the potassium inside the cells. Forgive me for confusing you...It's all good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 am 
Heavyweight

doknochrisan wrote:
robzuki wrote:
dencioPT101 wrote:

You might have misunderstood me, let me say it straight...They were wrong when they took lasix instead of the other family diuretics which are the potassium sparers, loop diuretics(including furosemide) shouldnt be taken by any boxer because of the potential effects of hypokalemia, but if they took the potassium sparers, could have been much acceptable because they would keep the potassium inside the cells. Forgive me for confusing you...It's all good.

no harm done bro. doc robz and i are just here to share what we know so that others maybe informed. in the same way that we give advises at the pacland health clinic we really don't know if our fellow paclanders follow them. at the end of the day when all facts and opinions are in, it's still the person/patient's choice that will prevail. PEACE!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 am 
Welterweight

robzuki wrote:
dencioPT101 wrote:

Forgive me for the IRONY...Its was nice brainstorming once again, lookin forward....Cheers guys. GTG.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:25 am 
Light Heavyweight

"SAGING LANG ANG MAY PUSO"---Mark Lapid

trans: Banana is a good source of Potassium 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:45 am 
Middleweight

robzuki wrote:
The potassium level issue is one thing. Hypokalemia (decrease in blood potassium levels) leads to gradual weakening of muscles which further causes weakness and fatigue. It is also detrimental if detected in lower amounts as it would sacrificed the heart and the intestinal tract having arrythmias and severe constipation and bowel distention (respectively). In short, having severe hypokalemia is a life-threatening condition. Banal must have been negelcted by his medical personnel during his training thus resulted to his frustrating defeat.

I was surprised when Aldeguer remarked about maintaining Banal's heart rate to an average of 34-38 beats/minute! That is really abnormal! It is true that in most of the athletes their heart rates are below the usual normal heart rate of 60-100 beats per minute, but with 34 beats per minute?! nah, that would really cause much exhaustion to Banal in the long run. IMHO, this is probably the major reason why Banal didnt last for 12 rounds during the fight! Cmon Mr. Aldeguer you dont want to lose your precious fighters do you with that type of conditioning? Luckily for Banal, he didnt experienced arrythmia after the fight coz otherwise it would be the start of the end of his career as a professional fighter under ALA.

if the news reports are accurate wherein aldeguer allegedly said that they were maintaining banals heart rate at 34 to 38 beats per minute, then ALA has not progressed to scientific training. patsamba tsamba lang ang sistema kung totoong sinabi ni aldeguer ito. there are lots of internet sites that can accurately advise athletes about optimum cardio training and 34 to 38 bpm is way too low to be true.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:49 am 
Light Heavyweight

I think even potassium or other medical theory they must check the fighter before the fight happens to ensure the boxer's health.

But i think due to accumulation of body punching that paid off that brutal KO loss of AJ banal in latter rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 pm 
Light Heavyweight

jmix wrote:
Guys check this out:

http://philboxing.com/news/story-18154.html

According to a medical practitioner, Dr. Eduardo De Los Reyes earlier told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that if Banal’s potassium levels were very low as reported then he would be “like a vegetable and his mind blank” which largely accounted for his defeat. Low potassium levels cause weakness, fatigue and muscle cramps which appeared to hit Banal after the first four or five rounds.

Further:

“Danding” Cojuangco said he was impressed by Banal who was good while both he and Henry Cojuangco noted that Banal appeared to be disoriented during the fight when he sometimes would merely walk away during a break with his mind apparently blank.

I don't know if you've noticed it also but I did plenty of times saw this during the fight. In fact, in one of the threads here in PACLAND, I did mention that AJ was "off" missing plenty of power shots. Somehow he's timing was off especially the moment when Rafael was bulldozing inside.

I am not trying to come up with excuses. It was rather clear and unquestionable that AJ lost that fight. However, I am very curious about this issue. Are there medical experts or even students in this profession who can perhaps shed some more inputs on this?

kulang pala sa saging si AJ!.... trans: banana rich in potassium

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:30 pm 
Welterweight

did you know that a new born baby injecting a potassium right after the delivery. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:39 pm 
Heavyweight

timothytantan wrote:
did you know that a new born baby injecting a potassium right after the delivery. :D

bro, you might have a misconception here. what the pediatricians inject to new borns are vitamin K to prevent a condition called hemorrhagic disease of the new born. potassium is a different drug and is only administered if the body's potassium level is low which may happen in severe dehydration, diarrhea, taking diuretics and kidney diseases.

now the chemical sympbol of potassium is "K" so this is probably where your misconception happened. no offense meant bro, i'm just here to correct you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:39 pm 
Welterweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
timothytantan wrote:

bro, you might have a misconception here. what the pediatricians inject to new borns are vitamin K to prevent a condition called hemorrhagic disease of the new born. potassium is a different drug and is only administered if the body's potassium level is low which may happen in severe dehydration, diarrhea, taking diuretics and kidney diseases.

now the chemical sympbol of potassium is "K" so this is probably where your misconception happened. no offense meant bro, i'm just here to correct you.

im sorry..my wife told me last night it was vitamin K..not potassium.BTW thank you bro! this thing will not happen again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6