Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:33 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:39 pm 
Heavyweight

junpals1 wrote:
AJ is taking diuretics to make his weight. This is nothing new. This is a dirty secret in Philippine boxing. The situation with AJ was desperate. Banal actually has weight problems making the 115 lb. limit. No wonder he got exhausted and dehydrated easily. AJ needs to fight in the bantamweight division. He probably will do better in that division. This is better than taking diuretics. He could die of irregular heart rhythm in the ring or out of the ring if he continues doing it. Try researching hypokalemia in the internet. It was the diuretics that made it. The loss was medication induced. I bet it was Lasix 40 mg. he was taking before the weigh in. It would have worked if that fight was short. A longer fight would be too much. He needed big time potassium tablets. Fruits and vegetable might not work.

doc robz and i of course understands the mechanism of hypokalemia as a side effect of diuretics use. what i'm interested in is where you got the idea that aj banal is really having difficulty making the weight and is taking diuretics. is this just a rumor or you have solid evidence to back your claims? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm 
Welterweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
junpals1 wrote:
AJ is taking diuretics to make his weight. This is nothing new. This is a dirty secret in Philippine boxing. The situation with AJ was desperate. Banal actually has weight problems making the 115 lb. limit. No wonder he got exhausted and dehydrated easily. AJ needs to fight in the bantamweight division. He probably will do better in that division. This is better than taking diuretics. He could die of irregular heart rhythm in the ring or out of the ring if he continues doing it. Try researching hypokalemia in the internet. It was the diuretics that made it. The loss was medication induced. I bet it was Lasix 40 mg. he was taking before the weigh in. It would have worked if that fight was short. A longer fight would be too much. He needed big time potassium tablets. Fruits and vegetable might not work.

doc robz and i of course understands the mechanism of hypokalemia as a side effect of diuretics use. what i'm interested in is where you got the idea that aj banal is really having difficulty making the weight and is taking diuretics. is this just a rumor or you have solid evidence to back your claims? :shock:

I would like to second the motion. This is very scary. AJ Banal having problems at 115lbs. Are you an insider of the ALA camp? Are Z Gorres and Donnie Nietes doing the same too bro?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:50 pm 
Light Heavyweight

junpals1 wrote:

you have anything to back that up and confirm?
cos that would i answer why i was asking myself why he looked pale and thin than the usual Banal i have seen in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:55 pm 
Heavyweight

englishbritish wrote:
junpals1 wrote:

cos that would i answer why i was asking myself why he looked pale and thin than the usual Banal i have seen in the past.

this is really a scary situation and if proven true, ALA can be held responsible to what happened to aj banal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:33 pm 
Middleweight

gatorade

very convenient and fast absorbing.
ala gym should upgrade if it wants to
be a world class training gym.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 pm 
Heavyweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
englishbritish wrote:
junpals1 wrote:

this is really a scary situation and if proven true, ALA can be held responsible to what happened to aj banal.

Interesting posts. If this is true, then I can not blame Banal for the loss. ALA has a lot of explaining to do.

“I sympathize with those who would minimize economic entanglement between nations. Ideas, knowledge, art, hospitality, travel should of their nature be international. But let goods be homespun and finance be primarily national.”
-Keynes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:50 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Until now I am still shocked on AJ'S lost I cannot shake it off. He is the only brightest future champion Id seen in PI not next to PACMAN but PACMAN in the making. I am glad to know the real caused of AJ's Lost and hoping ALA does not have so much Pride about their World standard facility and will improve their staff and scientific approach. They should take care of AJ he has all the potential to become the next big thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:53 pm 
Heavyweight

USSCurtisWilbur wrote:
gatorade

very convenient and fast absorbing.
ala gym should upgrade if it wants to
be a world class training gym.

just a piece of information. i heard the nevada state athletic commission is currently studying the possibility of allowing boxers to drink gatorade in between rounds. i just don't know when they will be coming out with a decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:01 pm 
Lightweight

jmix wrote:
Guys check this out:

http://philboxing.com/news/story-18154.html

According to a medical practitioner, Dr. Eduardo De Los Reyes earlier told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that if Banal’s potassium levels were very low as reported then he would be “like a vegetable and his mind blank” which largely accounted for his defeat. Low potassium levels cause weakness, fatigue and muscle cramps which appeared to hit Banal after the first four or five rounds.

Further:

“Danding” Cojuangco said he was impressed by Banal who was good while both he and Henry Cojuangco noted that Banal appeared to be disoriented during the fight when he sometimes would merely walk away during a break with his mind apparently blank.

I don't know if you've noticed it also but I did plenty of times saw this during the fight. In fact, in one of the threads here in PACLAND, I did mention that AJ was "off" missing plenty of power shots. Somehow he's timing was off especially the moment when Rafael was bulldozing inside.

I am not trying to come up with excuses. It was rather clear and unquestionable that AJ lost that fight. However, I am very curious about this issue. Are there medical experts or even students in this profession who can perhaps shed some more inputs on this?

AJ SHOULD TRAIN AT FREDDIE ROACH WILD CARD GYM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:37 pm 
Welterweight

analyst_1 wrote:
jmix wrote:
Guys check this out:

http://philboxing.com/news/story-18154.html

According to a medical practitioner, Dr. Eduardo De Los Reyes earlier told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that if Banal’s potassium levels were very low as reported then he would be “like a vegetable and his mind blank” which largely accounted for his defeat. Low potassium levels cause weakness, fatigue and muscle cramps which appeared to hit Banal after the first four or five rounds.

Further:

“Danding” Cojuangco said he was impressed by Banal who was good while both he and Henry Cojuangco noted that Banal appeared to be disoriented during the fight when he sometimes would merely walk away during a break with his mind apparently blank.

I don't know if you've noticed it also but I did plenty of times saw this during the fight. In fact, in one of the threads here in PACLAND, I did mention that AJ was "off" missing plenty of power shots. Somehow he's timing was off especially the moment when Rafael was bulldozing inside.

I am not trying to come up with excuses. It was rather clear and unquestionable that AJ lost that fight. However, I am very curious about this issue. Are there medical experts or even students in this profession who can perhaps shed some more inputs on this?

AJ SHOULD TRAIN AT FREDDIE ROACH WILD CARD GYM

No offense bro, but is Freddie Roach and Wild Card Gym the only person and place to make out champions? I mean, before Pacman, I don't seem to remember anything about that gym. I hope you won't drop names like James Toney and company. Surely, they've proven that they can deliver. But for goodness sake are they going to be the only option out there? Damn, not all champions have gone to see that place. I see nothing wrong with the ALA gym except perhaps the scientific approach in conditioning. Apart from that, nada!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:11 pm 
Middleweight

Well, thats you opinion bro. Our body initially has its own countermeasures whenever there is something wrong within its system. I would like to take for instance our very own red blood cells. Potassium is generally stored within our red blood cells and not on our plasma. When the serum/plasma levels of potassium is low, RBCs will try to compensate for the loss of such electrolyte via facilitated diffusion or active transport of potassium from the red blood cells going to the plasma environment, and thats what you call basically equilibrium/maintaining a constant environment at all times for normal cellular activity. This is a type of replenishment our body initially offers. Whenever such level of potassium becomes too low, by which our body could not anymore compensate, thats the time wherein exogenous intake of potassium either in oral or intravenous route is done.[/quote]

Lemme say that again.... the BODY does not replenish itself with electrolytes! Capish?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:21 pm 
Featherweight

junpals1 wrote:

Is this true? :shock: Isn't this illegal?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 pm 
Heavyweight

bisaya ispisyal wrote:
Well, thats you opinion bro. Our body initially has its own countermeasures whenever there is something wrong within its system. I would like to take for instance our very own red blood cells. Potassium is generally stored within our red blood cells and not on our plasma. When the serum/plasma levels of potassium is low, RBCs will try to compensate for the loss of such electrolyte via facilitated diffusion or active transport of potassium from the red blood cells going to the plasma environment, and thats what you call basically equilibrium/maintaining a constant environment at all times for normal cellular activity. This is a type of replenishment our body initially offers. Whenever such level of potassium becomes too low, by which our body could not anymore compensate, thats the time wherein exogenous intake of potassium either in oral or intravenous route is done.

Lemme say that again.... the BODY does not replenish itself with electrolytes! Capish?[/quote]

care to explain further? the doctor sounds more credible! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:38 pm 
Welterweight

I notice that he was dehydrated when the fight was over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:47 pm 
Middleweight

This is all bullcrap... Have you asked El Torito about his electrolytes status before the fight? Surely, El Torito has troubles making the weight initially... He was to shed some more pounds to get the weight limit... Plus, the jetlag..the new environment, etc...
But why was El Torito came out the winner???? Because El Torito wanted the Title more than AJ...came out well-prepared along with his coach...

Stop this non-sense about AJ electrolytes, blah..blah... the bottomline is, it wasn't AJ's fault why he lost that fight.. It was all down to his trainer/ conditioning coach.. Plus poor insight into the fight....

Aj is still young.. It's only his first loss... He'll learned from this debacle.. But I doubt his current trainers will ever learn from this poor showing... That's why, AJ needs a new trainer, then, we'll see a new AJ... But if he stays with Sir Edito, then, we'll be seeing AJ's second KO loss.. that's a shame... Mr Aldeguer, I'm sure, can afford to hire a much better trainer than what he has at the moment...

just my 2 centavo...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next