Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:02 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:04 pm 
Middleweight

robzuki wrote:
bisaya ispisyal wrote:

The sole purpose of the kidney is to filter and not store electrolytes
. AJ doesnt have the aerobic fitness to match his output .His skills is world class but his conditioning is amateurish . During Pacman's fight with Diaz.. Manny is just cruising just below his lactic threshhold and didnt go anaerobic [well, sometimes] and the rest is history. If Aldeguer wants his fighters to mirror Pacmans performance [without resulting in using performance enhancing drugs] He must use the same conditioning method Pacman uses [and mentality].Lotsa roadmiles then work just below LT . Interval training .. taper off . Manny trains his system to hold on to his mojos and he shocks his body during training that mere mortals would only think the guy is crazy by killing himself in training.

The kidneys have several functions bro not just filtering blood. When it comes to electrolytes, our kidneys try to retain the necessary electrolytes especially during dehydration, occurring primarily at the loops of Henle and water retention to prevent excessive dehydration and occurs primarily at the distal tubules. Aside from these, it also participates in the maintenance of normal glomerular pressure and blood pH. Just a piece of information from my stock knowledge.

It also maintains Acid-Base balance by controlling HCO3 secretion or retention.. The kidney also synthesize erythropoetin that stimulate production of RBC.. Just to add more..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:41 pm 
Featherweight

Quote:
According to a medical practitioner, Dr. Eduardo De Los Reyes earlier told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that if Banal’s potassium levels were very low as reported then he would be “like a vegetable and his mind blank” which largely accounted for his defeat. Low potassium levels cause weakness, fatigue and muscle cramps which appeared to hit Banal after the first four or five rounds.

Hmmm, but why was Banal still jumping around even until the 10th round? Didn't seem like he was acting disoriented, weakened or fatigued to me...he was quite light on his toes for somebody that is supposed to be "like a vegetable". :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:35 am 
Cruiserweight

monkeybiz wrote:
potasium level or any other thing should not be an issue at all he should have been prepared mentally and physically if not 100%.
He lost no excuse about it
better luck next time.
case close

Amen.

Potassium level crap, how about Ring Generalship? Or if his heart was 1/2 and inch bigger we could have gotten up.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:48 am 
Welterweight

Let's all stop the bickerings. He lost plain and simple. It's time to get out of ALA. Maybe, let's pray that Freddie's training team and Uncle Bob would accommodate him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:29 am 
Middleweight

It also maintains Acid-Base balance by controlling HCO3 secretion or retention.. The kidney also synthesize erythropoetin that stimulate production of RBC.. Just to add more..[/quote]

Yes, but it's still not a storage for electrolytes but regulates and filters excesses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:04 am 
Middleweight

RebzNgLA wrote:
monkeybiz wrote:
potasium level or any other thing should not be an issue at all he should have been prepared mentally and physically if not 100%.
He lost no excuse about it
better luck next time.
case close

Amen.

Potassium level crap, how about Ring Generalship? Or if his heart was 1/2 and inch bigger we could have gotten up.....

Nah, I believe you have to have a big heart BEFoRE you face your opponent . The training/conditioning should be made more fearsome than the opponent and if they take that stuff lightly then they have no business being in the boxing business.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:48 am 
Light Heavyweight

YawYan wrote:
junpals1 wrote:
AJ is taking diuretics to make his weight. This is nothing new. This is a dirty secret in Philippine boxing. The situation with AJ was desperate. Banal actually has weight problems making the 115 lb. limit. No wonder he got exhausted and dehydrated easily. AJ needs to fight in the bantamweight division. He probably will do better in that division. This is better than taking diuretics. He could die of irregular heart rhythm in the ring or out of the ring if he continues doing it. Try researching hypokalemia in the internet. It was the diuretics that made it. The loss was medication induced. I bet it was Lasix 40 mg. he was taking before the weigh in. It would have worked if that fight was short. A longer fight would be too much. He needed big time potassium tablets. Fruits and vegetable might not work.

If this is true, it is not good. If he ever used one, he probably used a potassium-wasting diuretic. If he/they plan to do it again, try to drink tea instead because it is also a diuretic. :D

Tea is diluted in water. At least one cup. The key is to stay away from any fluids. Lasix is the drug of choice. It is small and taken easily. It is also cheap. I had seen fighters with Lasix pills handy during weigh ins. Ask any fighter if they know what "Lasik" is all about. They will tell you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:50 am 
Cruiserweight

junpals1 wrote:
YawYan wrote:
If this is true, it is not good. If he ever used one, he probably used a potassium-wasting diuretic. If he/they plan to do it again, try to drink tea instead because it is also a diuretic. :D

Tea is diluted in water. At least one cup. The key is to stay away from any fluids. Lasix is the drug of choice. It is small and taken easily. It is also cheap. I had seen fighters with Lasix pills handy during weigh ins. Ask any fighter if they know what "Lasik" is all about. They will tell you.

Are you saying that you recommend Lasix to boxers having problems during weigh-in? Furosemide (Lasix is only a brand name) is not an over the counter drug bro. Indeed it is cheap however it is a regulated drug meaning you have to get prescription from the doctor concerned. Try to have a research more on Furosemide and you can see what are the adverse effects of the drug if taken indescriminately. Boxers or fighters doesnt have enough knowledge of what Lasix is all about, and what it does to the body in the long run. Forget taking Furosemide because it is not a drug of choice on this kind of condition. You are clearly misinformed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:58 am 
Featherweight

astig_119 wrote:
jmix wrote:
Guys check this out:

http://philboxing.com/news/story-18154.html

According to a medical practitioner, Dr. Eduardo De Los Reyes earlier told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that if Banal’s potassium levels were very low as reported then he would be “like a vegetable and his mind blank” which largely accounted for his defeat. Low potassium levels cause weakness, fatigue and muscle cramps which appeared to hit Banal after the first four or five rounds.

Further:

“Danding” Cojuangco said he was impressed by Banal who was good while both he and Henry Cojuangco noted that Banal appeared to be disoriented during the fight when he sometimes would merely walk away during a break with his mind apparently blank.

I don't know if you've noticed it also but I did plenty of times saw this during the fight. In fact, in one of the threads here in PACLAND, I did mention that AJ was "off" missing plenty of power shots. Somehow he's timing was off especially the moment when Rafael was bulldozing inside.

I am not trying to come up with excuses. It was rather clear and unquestionable that AJ lost that fight. However, I am very curious about this issue. Are there medical experts or even students in this profession who can perhaps shed some more inputs on this?

Common guys, let's leave this issue about potassium behind, let's all accept it, we lost fair and square, I am too, is with Banal, he got that talent, but needs some more adjustment, timing, defense, and train not to get hit too often. About this potassium, well, try having it before the fight and check it after six rounds, gradually it should diminish as fight goes on.

:D You mean you want the boxer to have a blood exam in the middle of the bout just to check ih he's hypo-K :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:21 am 
Light Heavyweight

If AJ Banal's potassium level is abnormal during the fight, that's why he lost, there must be something abnormal too.

I remember what a mexican reporter/photographer said about AJ months ago. what do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:29 am 
Light Heavyweight

AJ potassium level was abnormal during the fight, that's why he lost.
If his potassium level was abnormal then there must be something abnormal.

I remember what a mexican reporter/photographer said about AJ months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:06 am 
Welterweight

robzuki wrote:
junpals1 wrote:
YawYan wrote:

Are you saying that you recommend Lasix to boxers having problems during weigh-in? Furosemide (Lasix is only a brand name) is not an over the counter drug bro. Indeed it is cheap however it is a regulated drug meaning you have to get prescription from the doctor concerned. Try to have a research more on Furosemide and you can see what are the adverse effects of the drug if taken indescriminately. Boxers or fighters doesnt have enough knowledge of what Lasix is all about, and what it does to the body in the long run. Forget taking Furosemide because it is not a drug of choice on this kind of condition. You are clearly misinformed.

Potassium-sparing diuretics - Spironolactone, Amiloride, Triamtere

Loop diuretics - Furosemide, Ethacrynic acid, Bumetamide.....Lasix is a brand name for Furosemide...Boxers taking this
made the right choice...Go figure!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:17 am 
Cruiserweight

doknochrisan wrote:
robzuki wrote:

Loop diuretics - Furosemide, Ethacrynic acid, Bumetamide.....Lasix is a brand name for Furosemide...Boxers taking this

I stand by my statement. Im a doctor by profession and I already know all of the basics coz weve been taught about these things in medical school. I just wanna make things clear that Furosemide is not the drug of choice for those kind of procedures.

Its Triamterene, not Triamtere as you have mentioned. Peace!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:31 am 
Heavyweight

robzuki wrote:
doknochrisan wrote:
robzuki wrote:

I stand by my statement. Im a doctor by profession and I already know all of the basics coz weve been taught about these things in medical school. I just wanna make things clear that Furosemide is not the drug of choice for those kind of procedures.

Its Triamterene, not Triamtere as you have mentioned. Peace!

i likewise don't understand his basis of saying he made the right choice. by giving a person loop diuretics it maybe the most potent diuretic but it also produces hypokalemia. maybe he meant it is effective in losing weight in time for the weigh in but disregarding it's potential side effects like hypokalemia.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 am 
Heavyweight

Rusfil wrote:
Let's all stop the bickerings. He lost plain and simple. It's time to get out of ALA. Maybe, let's pray that Freddie's training team and Uncle Bob would accommodate him.

nobody is questioning that aj banal was clearly outclassed during that fight. a lot of fans however don't realize that the issue on aj's potassium level is something alarming. had he developed arrythmia as a complication aj's life might have been in great danger. and if the allegations of using diuretics is common among ALA boxers is true, that is a criminal offense by putting the life of their boxers in danger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next