Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum
http://forum.philboxing.com/

AJ's potassium level issue
http://forum.philboxing.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=105964
Page 1 of 6

Author:  jmix [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:09 am ]
Post subject:  AJ's potassium level issue

Guys check this out:

http://philboxing.com/news/story-18154.html

According to a medical practitioner, Dr. Eduardo De Los Reyes earlier told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that if Banal’s potassium levels were very low as reported then he would be “like a vegetable and his mind blank” which largely accounted for his defeat. Low potassium levels cause weakness, fatigue and muscle cramps which appeared to hit Banal after the first four or five rounds.

Further:

“Danding” Cojuangco said he was impressed by Banal who was good while both he and Henry Cojuangco noted that Banal appeared to be disoriented during the fight when he sometimes would merely walk away during a break with his mind apparently blank.

I don't know if you've noticed it also but I did plenty of times saw this during the fight. In fact, in one of the threads here in PACLAND, I did mention that AJ was "off" missing plenty of power shots. Somehow he's timing was off especially the moment when Rafael was bulldozing inside.

I am not trying to come up with excuses. It was rather clear and unquestionable that AJ lost that fight. However, I am very curious about this issue. Are there medical experts or even students in this profession who can perhaps shed some more inputs on this?

Author:  YotipDako [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

dapat kumain ng kumain ng saging! dami naman saging sa Pinas ah!

Trans: needs to eat more banana...

Author:  caloy76 [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

What are they feeding him???

Post weigh-in diet is important. ;)

ALA should start adapting a scientific approach.


Maybe he was still eating skyflakes and craving for Tinola even after making the weight....LOL

Author:  robzuki [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

The potassium level issue is one thing. Hypokalemia (decrease in blood potassium levels) leads to gradual weakening of muscles which further causes weakness and fatigue. It is also detrimental if detected in lower amounts as it would sacrificed the heart and the intestinal tract having arrythmias and severe constipation and bowel distention (respectively). In short, having severe hypokalemia is a life-threatening condition. Banal must have been negelcted by his medical personnel during his training thus resulted to his frustrating defeat.

I was surprised when Aldeguer remarked about maintaining Banal's heart rate to an average of 34-38 beats/minute! That is really abnormal! It is true that in most of the athletes their heart rates are below the usual normal heart rate of 60-100 beats per minute, but with 34 beats per minute?! nah, that would really cause much exhaustion to Banal in the long run. IMHO, this is probably the major reason why Banal didnt last for 12 rounds during the fight! Cmon Mr. Aldeguer you dont want to lose your precious fighters do you with that type of conditioning? Luckily for Banal, he didnt experienced arrythmia after the fight coz otherwise it would be the start of the end of his career as a professional fighter under ALA.

Author:  dencioPT101 [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

if a person's potassium level is very low he will have generalized muscle weakness that he may not even have the strength to stand up. i believe that he may have a low potassium level before that fight but not at a very low level and was only aggravated by dehydration on the course of the fight.

Author:  robzuki [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

dencioPT101 wrote:
if a person's potassium level is very low he will have generalized muscle weakness that he may not even have the strength to stand up. i believe that he may have a low potassium level before that fight but not at a very low level and was only aggravated by dehydration on the course of the fight.


Exactly!

Author:  timothytantan [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

We hope AJ is in good condition right now. I hope ALA gym will find the answer what went wrong. This problem might an eye opener to other boxer preparing to the upcoming fight.

Author:  jmix [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

robzuki wrote:
The potassium level issue is one thing. Hypokalemia (decrease in blood potassium levels) leads to gradual weakening of muscles which further causes weakness and fatigue. It is also detrimental if detected in lower amounts as it would sacrificed the heart and the intestinal tract having arrythmias and severe constipation and bowel distention (respectively). In short, having severe hypokalemia is a life-threatening condition. Banal must have been negelcted by his medical personnel during his training thus resulted to his frustrating defeat.

I was surprised when Aldeguer remarked about maintaining Banal's heart rate to an average of 34-38 beats/minute!o That is really abnormal! It is true that in most of the athletes their heart rates are below the usual normal heart rate of 60-100 beats per minute, but with 34 beats per minute?! nah, that would really cause much exhaustion to Banal in the long run. IMHO, this is probably the major reason why Banal didnt last for 12 rounds during the fight! Cmon Mr. Aldeguer you dont want to lose your precious fighters do you with that type of conditioning? Luckily for Banal, he didnt experienced arrythmia after the fight coz otherwise it would be the start of the end of his career as a professional fighter under ALA.



Thanks for that in-depth medical analysis. However, are those things you mentioned be a product of gradual process due to any particular ailment? Does potassium level drop at one instant, like in the case of AJ, at fight night? The symptoms you mentioned, can they not be detected earlier like severe constipation or bowel detention. Now you mentioned heart rate. Don't you think the ALA Camp with their physicians know about all these, as according to ALA, they've been monitoring it prior to fight night. It appears to me this is the heart rate they are accustomed to and basis of standard for all there boxers. This is getting very interesting!!!!

Author:  monkeybiz [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

potasium level or any other thing should not be an issue at all he should have been prepared mentally and physically if not 100%.
He lost no excuse about it
better luck next time.
case close

Author:  Crisostomo Ibarra [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

timothytantan wrote:
We hope AJ is in good condition right now. I hope ALA gym will find the answer what went wrong. This problem might an eye opener to other boxer preparing to the upcoming fight.

Wow, a Demolay!!!

Author:  Whirlwind [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

To ALA gym boxer's eat 2 banana's before your fight. It will give your more extra strength than any other food you will take before the fight. I know because I did weight lifting. After I eat 2 or 3 banana's and I can exercise 1-2 hours without feeling tired. The Banana also have a lot of health benefits especially those who want to lower the high blood pressure and many more. Its really worked on me! Here's the link. http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/food ... _cure.html

BANANA. "Containing three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose - combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proved that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions making it a must to add to your daily diet."

Author:  Whirlwind [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

I hope ALA gym will correct their training regimen on their boxer's who always show better in the fight but lost their strength on the later rounds.

Author:  Sargo [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

Ala could use the guidance of a sports physiologist/sports medicine expert.

Author:  robzuki [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

jmix wrote:
robzuki wrote:
The potassium level issue is one thing. Hypokalemia (decrease in blood potassium levels) leads to gradual weakening of muscles which further causes weakness and fatigue. It is also detrimental if detected in lower amounts as it would sacrificed the heart and the intestinal tract having arrythmias and severe constipation and bowel distention (respectively). In short, having severe hypokalemia is a life-threatening condition. Banal must have been negelcted by his medical personnel during his training thus resulted to his frustrating defeat.

I was surprised when Aldeguer remarked about maintaining Banal's heart rate to an average of 34-38 beats/minute!o That is really abnormal! It is true that in most of the athletes their heart rates are below the usual normal heart rate of 60-100 beats per minute, but with 34 beats per minute?! nah, that would really cause much exhaustion to Banal in the long run. IMHO, this is probably the major reason why Banal didnt last for 12 rounds during the fight! Cmon Mr. Aldeguer you dont want to lose your precious fighters do you with that type of conditioning? Luckily for Banal, he didnt experienced arrythmia after the fight coz otherwise it would be the start of the end of his career as a professional fighter under ALA.



Thanks for that in-depth medical analysis. However, are those things you mentioned be a product of gradual process due to any particular ailment? Does potassium level drop at one instant, like in the case of AJ, at fight night? The symptoms you mentioned, can they not be detected earlier like severe constipation or bowel detention. Now you mentioned heart rate. Don't you think the ALA Camp with their physicians know about all these, as according to ALA, they've been monitoring it prior to fight night. It appears to me this is the heart rate they are accustomed to and basis of standard for all there boxers. This is getting very interesting!!!!


Potassium level cannot drop at an instant, it is usually a gradual process. Take for instance, perspiration, electrolytes such as potassium and sodium along with chlorides are gradually excreted through our body in this process, and are constantly replenished by our body. In AJ's, the complications of having hypokalemia is already imminent with dehydration experienced accompanied by muscle fatigue brought by serious, rigid training likewise the main fight.

I think the medical personnels around AJ have been on constant monitor with regards to the boxer's health status however you cannot expect a 100% assurance that AJ is ready to take on the grueling 12 rounds when in fact potassium levels can can greatly influenced both your cardiac health and muscular activity. Having a low potassium level in the blood had seriously exhausted AJ's arsenal and thats what they have observed/seen during the fight. They havent addressed the situation of having AJ subject to serum electrolyte determination prior to the fight. Thats part of the conditioning I supposed better than rehydrating at instant wherein you never know what type of electrolyte is gradually lost--for in Banal's case--potassium.

Author:  bisaya ispisyal [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: AJ's potassium level issue

The 34-38 bpm [if its true] is probably the RESTING heartrate of AJ . Thats an indication of a well conditioned athlete [same as Lance Armstrong] . The pressure and roughousing style of Concepcion can be a problem to AJ especially if he puts hs weight and ties him up constantly ala HAtton [remember Tzyu?]. I dont think they trained him how to handle that kind of fight [same as our Concepcion] .O baka ... nag-jakol siguro si AJ nung gabing yun. ALA ng electrolytes.

If they want to emulate the Pacman they better have Pacman's mentality . train hard, train right, and be vicious and go hard on your opponents .. show them that your heart will devour them all the way to twelve rounds. As of right now...

Theres only one Manny Pacquiao

" if fit Im hard to beat" Walang pa-cute-cute

Page 1 of 6 All times are UTC + 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/