Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1571, 1572, 1573, 1574, 1575, 1576, 1577 ... 1647  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
Carlsen, So, Caruana Advance To PRO Chess Championship Weekend

The top three players in the world (Magnus Carlsen, Wesley So, and Fabiano Caruana) have helped drive their teams (The Norway Gnomes, the Montreal ChessBrahs, and the St. Louis Arch Bishops) to the semi-finals in the inaugural season of the Professional Rapid Online (PRO) Chess League.

They are joined by a more balanced team, the Stockholm Snowballs, who handily defeated the Marseille Migraines, another team lead by a top-five player, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave.

Saint Louis Arch Bishops vs Webster Windmills: 8-8

The primary story of this match is that GM Wesley So is really, really good at chess. He won all four of his games this week and made it look relatively easy.

So's score thus far in the PRO Chess League is 26/28! His teammates sometimes suffered as Webster's strategy sometimes seemed to be to field a lineup with a weaker player against So to bolster their chances on the other boards.

The consequence was a strong showing from Webster, but they could not overcome the draw odds. The Arch Bishops, with the better tiebreaks, advance to the semi-finals.

It will be St Louis Vs Montreal (Caruana's team) in the semis.

In the other semi-final pairings, it will be Norway (Carlsen Team) Vs Stockholm.

Championship Weekend will be March 25-26 with both semi-final matches on Saturday and the finals on Sunday.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/carlsen-so-caruana-advance-to-pro-chess-championship-weekend-2996

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:05 am 
Lightweight

Blunt Predictions: Greg on the US Championship

By IM Greg Shahade|March 17, 2017|News, Super Grandmaster Chess

IM and PRO Chess League commissioner Greg Shahade contributes his annual blunt predictions on the US Chess Championships, coming up in Saint Louis from March 28-April 10.

The U.S. Championship is coming and in this preview I’m going to be very blunt with you:
One of three players is going to win this tournament. No one else has much of a chance.

The three contenders are: Wesley So, Fabiano Caruana and Hikaru Nakamura

Who do I think is going to come out on top out of these three amazing players?
I’m going with the 2016 Sinquefield Cup Champ.

I think that Wesley has a very legitimate chance to become World Champion. He seems to be constantly improving, has a somewhat similar style to Carlsen, and is three years younger. In fact if they played a 12-game match next week, I wouldn’t be so confident in Carlsen’s chances. Wesley just has to hope he makes it through the crapshoot that we call the Candidates Tournament, but if he can do that I can easily see him taking the title. His nerves are strong, he plays well in all kinds of positions, and is still getting stronger. Needless to say, if I think he may beat Carlsen soon, I’m going to pick him to win this tournament.

Source : https://new.uschess.org/news/blunt-predictions-greg-us-championship/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:48 am 
Lightweight

Just January of 2015 Nakamura crushed Wesley 21.5 to 11.5 in Chess.com's Online Blitz Death Match so much so that commentator GM Irina Krush said, "I've seen good players before, but I've never seen someone play blitz like Hikaru...When he's playing a normal GM it's like watching an adult play a toddler."

https://www.chess.com/news/nakamura-dominant-in-highest-rated-death-match-ever-6760

Then

Fast forward to 2017.. if they ever play another Blitz Death Match i don't think Nakamura will win.

That's how fast Wes is improving. Other super GMs seem to be hitting the wall performance-wise while Wes keeps on gaining.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:56 am 
Lightweight

I can imagine iba na ang kartada ni idol Wes kapag pumasok sa playing hall of any tournament..

bulong-bulungan.. kinatatakutan.. ipinag-darasal na maiwasan makaharap kapag swiss... and sana white ang color nila kapag round robin..

mga inihandang linya ay para maka draw.. laban ke Wes.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 pm 
Middleweight

Let us pray God will continue to bless him and always show him the light in every game as He has gifted him this glowing talent and brilliance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 am 
Lightweight

Viswanathan Anand: ‘Wesley So is the guy everyone is keeping an eye on’

http://www.sportstarlive.com/other-sports/viswanathan-anand-wesley-so-is-the-guy-everyones-keeping-an-eye-on/article17521439.ece

"Carlsen remains No.1. But the gap is now closer than it had been for a long time. And, generally you can see that the youngest players are the ones making up a lot of ground. Wesley So is the guy everyone’s keeping an eye on at the moment."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:08 am 
Lightweight

Can You Play The Endgame Like Wesley So?
By Jennifer Shahade|March 21, 2017|News, Problems & Puzzles, Super Grandmaster Chess

Source : https://new.uschess.org/news/can-play-endgame-like-wesley/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 am 
Cruiserweight

Anna Rudolf is like having an orgasm.."bc5, wow" :lol:

MVL must be swearing in French by now :lol:

Wes should get this chick hehe

____
Cowards hide behind anonymity
Live Responsibly!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Amazing Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 pm 
Middleweight

Wes is fast becoming the darling of US chess fans.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 pm 
Cruiserweight

So and Caruana ( USA ) are the real threats to carlsen not the russians not the ukrainians nor the chinese.

Last edited by hayden_agenda on Thu Sept. 10, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:56 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
Stunning victory
Bobby Ang
March 21, 2017

It is now official. Based on the FIDE March Rating list Wesley So is the no. 2 chessplayer in the world.

I was at the Awards Night of the Philippine Sportswriters Association last Feb. 13 and wondered why Wesley So was not one of the honorees. Shouldn’t he be at the very least the major awardee for chess? Maybe even Athlete of the Year? Admittedly Hidilyn Diaz won a silver medal in the 2016 Rio Olympics and that would be a tough act to beat for the coveted award, but shouldn’t he at least get nominated? For being no. 2 in the world for chess is one heck of an achievement -- even Eugene Torre at the very height of his powers only reached no. 17. If Oliver Barbosa could be given the award for chess in 2011 when he picked up the grandmaster title and breached FIDE 2600, shouldn’t Wesley whose rating breached FIDE 2800 be given an award too?

Wesley So wasn’t nominated for any award because he is now representing the United States? He still is a Filipino citizen, grew up and got to be a very strong grandmaster while still in the Philippines, and shifted his Federation to the USA only when the tournaments dried up in the Philippines. You can’t blame him for that, right?

Can somebody representing another country be an awardee in the Philippine Sportswriters Association? The answer is yes. One of my friends, Mr. Joey Jereos, did some research and points out some precedents:

Dorothy Delasin (golf), PSA Athlete of the Year 2001 was the first-ever PSA award bestowed on a Fil-Am talent. She is a US citizen.

Brian Viloria (pro boxing) PSA awardee 2011, the “Hawaiian Punch” is an American professional boxer of Filipino descent, born and raised in the United States

Ana Julaton (pro boxing) PSA awardee 2011, a Fil-Am boxer, US born representing USA

Brandon Michael Vera received a citation for Mixed Martial Arts this year. He is an American of Filipino descent, born and raised in Norfolk, Virginia.

I submit that there really is no reason why Wesley So should not be a PSA Awardee. I move that we correct this injustice soon, for we really should all be proud of him.

An excerpt Read more: http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Sports&title=stunning-victory&id=142459

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:45 am 
Heavyweight

I agree Mod J, in fact Wesley So deserves to win Athlete of the Year honors IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am 
Heavyweight

joeyj wrote:
Stunning victory
Bobby Ang
March 21, 2017

It is now official. Based on the FIDE March Rating list Wesley So is the no. 2 chessplayer in the world.

I was at the Awards Night of the Philippine Sportswriters Association last Feb. 13 and wondered why Wesley So was not one of the honorees. Shouldn’t he be at the very least the major awardee for chess? Maybe even Athlete of the Year? Admittedly Hidilyn Diaz won a silver medal in the 2016 Rio Olympics and that would be a tough act to beat for the coveted award, but shouldn’t he at least get nominated? For being no. 2 in the world for chess is one heck of an achievement -- even Eugene Torre at the very height of his powers only reached no. 17. If Oliver Barbosa could be given the award for chess in 2011 when he picked up the grandmaster title and breached FIDE 2600, shouldn’t Wesley whose rating breached FIDE 2800 be given an award too?

Wesley So wasn’t nominated for any award because he is now representing the United States? He still is a Filipino citizen, grew up and got to be a very strong grandmaster while still in the Philippines, and shifted his Federation to the USA only when the tournaments dried up in the Philippines. You can’t blame him for that, right?

Can somebody representing another country be an awardee in the Philippine Sportswriters Association? The answer is yes. One of my friends, Mr. Joey Jereos, did some research and points out some precedents:

Dorothy Delasin (golf), PSA Athlete of the Year 2001 was the first-ever PSA award bestowed on a Fil-Am talent. She is a US citizen.

Brian Viloria (pro boxing) PSA awardee 2011, the “Hawaiian Punch” is an American professional boxer of Filipino descent, born and raised in the United States

Ana Julaton (pro boxing) PSA awardee 2011, a Fil-Am boxer, US born representing USA

Brandon Michael Vera received a citation for Mixed Martial Arts this year. He is an American of Filipino descent, born and raised in Norfolk, Virginia.

I submit that there really is no reason why Wesley So should not be a PSA Awardee. I move that we correct this injustice soon, for we really should all be proud of him.

An excerpt Read more: http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Sports&title=stunning-victory&id=142459

Yes, I strongly believe that Wesley So should be a PSA awardee too... Hope somebody from the PSA can correct the injustice very very soon... 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 am 
Heavyweight

` Politics, sick-minded interest reared its ugly head, again.

A foreign citizen can win the award but a filipino citizen,
representing a foreign sports federation and won honor as a filipino native,
was not even nominated ?

:smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1571, 1572, 1573, 1574, 1575, 1576, 1577 ... 1647  Next