Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660 ... 1677  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 am 
Light Heavyweight

TheEnigma wrote:
Wesley’s final round game versus Anand was quite pleasing to follow.

Although Anand did not play this game as well as he might have, Wesley’s performance was consistently methodical. Probably no other master would have pressed home the slight positional advantage so forcefully and impressively.

Wesley’s tactical shot on 27...Nxc3 jolted all chess fans following the game live on ChessBomb. Everyone was expecting the more obvious 27...Qe4, as it was the best suggested move by chess engines. Needless to say, Wesley’s 27th move paved the way for the ex-world champion’s capitulation six moves later.

Congratulations and best wishes for the future! :)

Excellent win by Wesley. Nothing against Wesley, but Carlsen is master at winning games with a slight positional advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
Isn't that what Wesley doing now, convert that slight positional advantage into a win ? e.g. to Anand :)

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am 
Light Heavyweight

joeyj wrote:
Isn't that what Wesley doing now, convert that slight positional advantage into a win ? e.g. to Anand :)

Yeah, Wesley did that and he did fine. I just disagreed that no other master will win such position. Carlsen is considered as the best at winning position that has slight positional advantage. Carlsen is impressive at doing this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:58 pm 
Welterweight

TheEnigma wrote:
Wesley’s final round game versus Anand was quite pleasing to follow.

Although Anand did not play this game as well as he might have, Wesley’s performance was consistently methodical. Probably no other master would have pressed home the slight positional advantage so forcefully and impressively.

Wesley’s tactical shot on 27...Nxc3 jolted all chess fans following the game live on ChessBomb. Everyone was expecting the more obvious 27...Qe4, as it was the best suggested move by chess engines. Needless to say, Wesley’s 27th move paved the way for the ex-world champion’s capitulation six moves later.

Congratulations and best wishes for the future! :)

On the contrary,most GMs would capitalize on any small positional advantage,not only wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 pm 
Welterweight

I think there is no question about GMs capitalizing on any positional advantage, no matter how small it may appear. However, the ‘economy’ with which Wesley capitalized on his slight advantage in that last-round game was impressive. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm 
Welterweight

TheEnigma wrote:
I think there is no question about GMs capitalizing on any positional advantage, no matter how small it may appear. However, the ‘economy’ with which Wesley capitalized on his slight advantage in that last-round game was impressive. :)

Sorry but i have a different view on that game. It was technically equal until vishy blundered with his knight. Engine eval drastically changed from an equal evaluation to -2 something in favor of wesley.It was a repeat of anand vs caruana game on the earlier round when vishy blundered big time from an equal evaluation.Wes of course capitalized in this, but not as impressive as you were implying.Wes in fact blundered a couple of moves later to basically give anand a chance to survive. But anand countered that with another red move and resigned few moves later. Wesley might not be as sharp in this tournament compared last year.He had an advantage over nepo and aronian but couldn't capitalize and both games ended in a draw. Although what impressed me most is wesley's ability to defend. That game against magnus was a defensive masterpiece.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:09 am 
Welterweight

Unbreakable wrote:
TheEnigma wrote:

Sorry but i have a different view on that game. It was technically equal until vishy blundered with his knight. Engine eval drastically changed from an equal evaluation to -2 something in favor of wesley.It was a repeat of anand vs caruana game on the earlier round when vishy blundered big time from an equal evaluation.Wes of course capitalized in this, but not as impressive as you were implying.Wes in fact blundered a couple of moves later to basically give anand a chance to survive. But anand countered that with another red move and resigned few moves later. Wesley might not be as sharp in this tournament compared last year.He had an advantage over nepo and aronian but couldn't capitalize and both games ended in a draw. Although what impressed me most is wesley's ability to defend. That game against magnus was a defensive masterpiece.

Good observation. Sorry too, but to each his own. I think it would be a bit harsh to say that Wesley ‘blundered a couple of moves later’. It was not a blunder in the real sense of the word. You see, if you trust on engine evaluations, even if one has made a fairly good move but different from the best suggested move by the engine by a couple of points, it would appear as red.

Nevertheless, you’re also right on your assessment of the game and about Wesley’s overall performance in the tournament. My only point is that Wesley had shown in that game ‘economy’ of force and time in converting his slight positional advantage into a win. Given the position after all the rooks have been exchanged, the excellent coordination of Black’s two knights and queen in creating threats and exerting pressure on White’s king position, the timely pawn push to c5 (29...c5) to drive away White’s queen from the center of the board, and the relatively short time it took to finish off the game – I think Wesley’s play from that position on cannot be improved upon even by Carlsen himself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 am 
Cruiserweight

chess engines now are rendered obsolete since the arrival of deep minds AlphaZero
:lol:

Last edited by hayden_agenda on Thu Sept. 10, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:34 pm 
Heavyweight

joeyj wrote:
R9 : Dec 11 : Anand, Viswanathan (2782) - So, Wesley (2788) : 0-1 : 4.9 : 2791.7

Live rating:
https://chessaccount.com/live-ratings-phi/wesley-so-live-ratings/

Good job. Congratz Wesley So... 8) :) :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am 
Light Heavyweight

hayden_agenda wrote:
chess engines now are rendered obsolete since the arrival of deep minds AlphaZero
:lol:

The AlphaZero vs Stockfish match is not conclusive because what we have seen is not an optimize Stockfish. This is probably only part of google’s marketing campaign. Stockfish is only allowed 1 minute per move. This means Stockfish does not have depth when it is looking for moves. Stockfish is also not allowed to use its table and book knowledge. The stockfish used in the match is not the latest version. Also AlphaZero is run on googles’s computer, while Stockfish is run on ordinary computer. I like to see this match in a fair condition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 am 
Cruiserweight

Any updates?

____
Cowards hide behind anonymity
Live Responsibly!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:16 pm 
Cruiserweight

Kamatis wrote:
Any updates?

https://www.tatasteelchess.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:43 pm 
Cruiserweight

magandang tourney ito, hope Wes gets back to his more deadly form :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
Countdown to Tata Steel Chess 2018 ...

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180113T1330&p0=16&msg=Tata+Steel+Chess+2018&font=cursive

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 am 
Heavyweight

More power Wesley So. Hopefully you will be the champion again in Tata Steel Chess tournament... :angel: :angel: :angel:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660 ... 1677  Next