Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 am 
Welterweight

With the participation of Caruana and Mamedyarov, not to mention Kramnik, in this year’s edition of the tournament, Tata Steel Chess (Masters) 2018 is definitely stronger than the previous one. I think it’s going to be a tough ‘free-for-all’ among the top five players, and it certainly is a daunting task for Wesley to defend his title. Nevertheless, our boy is already ‘battle-hardened’ when it comes to combating these tough fellows.

Wishing him the best -- and here’s hoping that he will produce more instructive games in this tournament. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 am 
Cruiserweight

TheEnigma wrote:
With the participation of Caruana and Mamedyarov, not to mention Kramnik, in this year’s edition of the tournament, Tata Steel Chess (Masters) 2018 is definitely stronger than the previous one. I think it’s going to be a tough ‘free-for-all’ among the top five players, and it certainly is a daunting task for Wesley to defend his title. Nevertheless, our boy is already ‘battle-hardened’ when it comes to combating these tough fellows.

Wishing him the best -- and here’s hoping that he will produce more instructive games in this tournament. :)

Defend your title Wesley! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
joeyj wrote:

Round 1 pairings at Tata Steel Masters:
Today at 1:30 p.m. NED time (8:30 p.m. PHI time).

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:25 pm 
Welterweight

Tough first round opponent in the shark.Remember that this guy was the one who stopped wes' no loss streak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:37 am 
Welterweight

Round 1 game versus Mamedyarov was a ‘draw by repetition’ after 29 moves. Wesley, playing White, opted to open with 1. e4 (best by test, according to Bobby Fischer). However, Mamedyarov somehow surprised Wesley by employing a rare system of the Sicilian (2...Nf6, dubbed as the Nimzo-Rubinstein system). Wesley, refusing to be intimidated, was quick to adopt the Larsen variation of the system, beginning with the pushing of his e-pawn further forward on the third move (3. e5). I would like to guess that this is the current favored line to use against the Nimzo-Rubinstein set-up. Indeed it’s the suggested best choice by Stockfish for the third move, but the available literature devoted to this line is only very limited. Nothing could be considered conclusive.

I tried to make a quick survey of the games of Bobby Fischer (as he was one of the most dominant players with White when playing against any variation or system of the Sicilian), and I found only two of his games in which he was playing White against this 2...Nf6 Sicilian system. One was versus Pomar (Interzonal – Stockholm 1962) which ended in a draw after 77 moves. The other one was versus Sherwin (US Championship 1962/63) which Fischer won after 29 moves. In both of these games, Fischer employed the more positional approach (3. Nc3). The point is that this move allows for some flexibility of the central position, as it can lead to transposition to more common lines or to the line adopted by Fischer when his opponents played 3...d5.

I think Mamedyrov was well prepared for this 2...Nf6 line, and we can only surmise what could have transpired had Wesley adopted Fischer’s treatment of this system.

Good luck on the next round.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:44 pm 
Heavyweight

Round : Date White Vs Black  (Player, FIDE rating) : Result : Rating : +/- : Live Rating
R1 : 13 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Mamedyarov,Shakhriyar(2804) :  ½-½ : 0.2 : 2792.2
R2 : 14 Jan : GM Matlakov, Maxim (2718) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) :

https://chessaccount.com/live-ratings-phi/wesley-so-live-ratings/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:59 am 
Welterweight

It was an uneventful draw against Matlakov in Round 2, ending in another repetition of moves. It appeared that Wesley was moving fast and consumed relatively little time on his clock. After the final move (30th move) was played, Wesley had still about 1 hour and 23 min. left on his clock, in contrast to Matlakov who had merely 31 min. left.

We can only guess that Wesley might be on familiar grounds with respect to the opening line chosen and the resulting ‘fluid’ structures in the middle game. Although the subsequent play appeared to be unexciting and run-of-the-mill, who knows (and I hope) that Wesley could have been holding back some prepared lines in this system for the coming Candidates tournament.

That’s our consololation... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 am 
Heavyweight

Round : Date White Vs Black  (Player, FIDE rating) Result Rating +/- Live Rating TPR
R1 13 Jan GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Mamedyarov,Shakhriyar(2804)  ½-½ 0.2 2792.2
R2 14 Jan GM Matlakov, Maxim (2718) –  GM So, Wesley (2792)  ½-½ -1 2791.2
R3 15 Jan GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Karjakin, Sergey(2753)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 pm 
Heavyweight

2 draws so far in the first 2 rounds. Hopefully a win in the next round... Go Wesley So. More Power... :angel: :angel: :angel:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 am 
Welterweight

The So - Karjakin encounter in the third round ended in a draw after 46 moves. Wesley (playing White) opened with his queen’s pawn, and the game quickly transitioned into a familiar set-up -- the Queen’s Gambit Declined, Ragozin variation. Wesley obtained the initiative and had a slight advantage at some point, but he missed the recommended best continuation on his 18th move. He could have played 18. c4, instead of 18. O-O, but it was actually difficult to foresee the ramifications of such a ‘risky’ pawn advance with the White king still on its original square. Castling first for safety seemed to be the most logical choice. Nevertheless, Black was soon able to equalize -- his only potential weakness being the weak d-pawn.

In spite of that, Karjakin defended well, so it was never an easy task to exploit Black’s weakness. After the rooks have been exchanged, only the bishops of opposite color remained with equal number of pawns for both sides. Draw was therefore inevitable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:35 am 
Heavyweight

Round : Date : White Vs Black  (Player, FIDE rating) : Result : Rating +/- : Live Rating
R1 : 13 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Mamedyarov,Shakhriyar(2804) :  ½-½ : 0.2 : 2792.2
R2 : 14 Jan : GM Matlakov, Maxim (2718) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) :  ½-½ : -1 : 2791.2
R3 : 15 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Karjakin, Sergey(2753) :  ½-½ : -0.5 : 2790.7

R4 : 16 Jan : GM Caruana, Fabiano (2811) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) :

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm 
Welterweight

wesley is losing :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am 
Welterweight

mukhang kaya pang i draw..go wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:16 am 
Heavyweight

R4 : 16 Jan : GM Caruana, Fabiano (2811) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) :  ½-½ : +0.3 : 2791

R5 : 17 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Adhiban, B. (2655) :

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 am 
Heavyweight

Go Wesley So... Hoping for a win in the next round... :) :D 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659  Next