Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1667, 1668, 1669, 1670, 1671, 1672  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Mullato wrote:
joeyj wrote:
Oww it's you again mr rob. As i review your previous warnings this is your 2nd around in this thread. U never learned. +2. pahinga ka muna. :(

Goodbye Mr. Rob. See you in 2118. Or, create another handle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mullato has risen!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:43 pm 
Welterweight

zorro05 wrote:
TheEnigma wrote:

DOES GOD EXIST?

I have read from somewhere that atheists deny the existence of God for moral reasons, not for philosophical reasons. They usually employ “moral arguments” to deny the existence of God.

Although God’s existence is not self-evident, it can be demonstrated logically. This means that God’s existence is not known immediately, but one can reason to the conclusion that God exists (take as example, Thomas Aquinas’ “5 ways” for demonstrating the existence of God). In this sense, however, philosophy only asks whether God exists. It cannot answer questions such as “Who is God and what is his plan for me?” (That is the realm of theology).

As it is said, the atheist is not a logical man because he refuses to acknowledge what is demonstrable. Usually, atheists or heretics are what they are because of scandal and moral scruples, not because of logical failures.

When you consider atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, their strongest arguments are “moral arguments” against the existence of God. Why are children sold through human trafficking for prostitution? Why does God allow hurricanes to destroy the innocent? Why do babies die? In reality, these are not arguments about God’s existence, but rather arguments about the goodness of God. The atheist first creates scandal regarding God’s goodness, and then rejects Him.

This atheistic attack requires a theological answer that includes a doctrine of free will, original sin, and divine providence. However, at the end of the day, there is not a sound philosophical answer to the moral arguments against God. The most compelling response is to cast light on the fact that God Himself entered the world to suffer and die on the cross for the sake of human happiness in eternity. God does not reign like a Turkish Sultan over sin, evil, and death. Rather, God reigns from the cross as a Suffering Servant.

(based on notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)

`` a wonderful world of magic and imaginations..'

:smoke: '''

A world of magic and imagination?

It’s no wonder then that Gorio doesn’t believe in the saying: “ang utang ay dapat bayaran”... :lol:

Kidding aside, the answer to this is simple enough – it’s a wonderful world of faith and reason!

Whereas philosophy pertains to reason alone, theology pertains to divine revelation. When the Greek philosopher Plato discussed whether the human soul existed after death, he was engaged in philosophy -- a reasoned argument. However, when Moses spoke of the will of the “God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,” he was engaged in revealing divine truths. This accords with theology.

Philosophy and theology, like reason and faith, are distinct but complementary. It is said that philosophy is the “handmaiden” of theology. This means that the power of reason and the truths known through reason are able to aid and assist men in theology.

For example, a pagan living on an island in the middle of nowhere can know the truth that God exists. This is something that unaided reason can lead a person to know. It is a philosophical truth that does not require religion. There have been plenty of people in history who believed in one God without the help of the Bible. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Cicero are examples of pagan thinkers who postulated a highest God who reigned over all. Other philosophical truths include the fact that God is different from creation, that humans are different from other animals, that humans have a soul, and that there are moral laws. Thou shalt not kill is a philosophical truth that can be known by reason. Even these moral norms can be known without recourse to religion or the Bible.

Examples of Philosophical Truths Known by Reason
• God exists
• God is one
• Humans have immortal souls
Do not steal

Examples of Theological Truths Known by Divine Revelation
• Jesus is the Son of God
• Heaven and Hell
• Jesus shall judge the living and the dead

So, once again, what can a pagan know? A pagan can know there is a God and know that he has an immortal soul long before he becomes a Christian. The theological truths, like those in the second set of examples presented above, answer the “so what” questions occasioned in the first set of examples. For instance, “If there is a God and I have a soul, then what do I do about it?” The philosophical question leads to a theological question.

Finally, in the exact words of drk_schultz (in PRMO section of Lounge Area in this forum), and I quote, “MAGIC is the FOUNDATION of RELIGION na inbolb ang god”. That, to me, is an absurd statement. I don’t see any magic involved here. On the contrary, I only see reason leading to faith. I only see philosophical truths finding fulfillment in the theological truths.

(with notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)

Back to topic...

We would like to say that Wesley had, at least, a good learning experience in his first try in the Candidates Tournament. Many great players in the past (Paul Keres, Efim Geller, etc) never became challengers to the world title because they had never won first place in the Candidates Tournament. Even the legendary Bobby Fischer had to pass through three attempts in the Candidates before he finally made it to the world championship.

We, therefore, continue our support for Wesley – wishing him the best and hoping and praying for his many triumphs that are still to come.

As a footnote then, did God fail us in our earlier hope and prayers? No. God is faithful to His promises. Our part is to ask, and we must be persevering and humble in our prayer.

So many times we hear people saying: “Oh, I used to ask God for this and that and the other, but He never gave it to me. Now, ten years later, how glad I am that He didn’t!”

One thing is certain: God will not fail to answer a humble and persevering prayer. Whether He chooses to grant what we ask immediately or make us wait, we must trust that He, regardless of appearances, is doing us good. (Our thoughts are not His thoughts, nor our ways His ways.)

Another consideration pertaining to non-believers is this: If God were to grant us absolutely everything we ask at a moment’s notice, such people might start believing purely out of self-interest. They would look at God as a wand-wielding wizard (a magician!). And God Our Lord is infinitely more than that. He wants us to know, love, and serve Him for Himself so that He can treat us as children and heirs and grant us unending happiness in Heaven.

So, in the end, we may throw back the question: where is magic here? :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:25 am 
Light Heavyweight

Thanks Bro. Enigma to that 'philosophical' explanation!

To the atheists out there, you will never understand the power of faith in our everyday life. In Wesley's case, as in most of us believers, faith strengthens us when we are down or when it seems everything else in our life fails. Faith gives us the hope to carry on no matter what. Love is the image of God within us. Whenever we show love to our fellow men, that is God working in us. How then can atheist explain the goodness within us if not for the existence of God? Conversely, how to explain the evil in us unless the Devil likewise exists? If you at least believe in the Devil, then believe also in God because the Devil himself recognizes the power of God. 'I will be like the Most High' shows that Satan did not intend to surpass God but just to be 'equal' with Him.

I still believe that believers like Wesley are stronger mentally and spiritually than non-believers. That's why most non-believers would buckle under pressure in the face of successive failures and may even commit suicide.

Success is measured not by what you have achieved,
but by the degree of satisfaction you derive from it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 am 
Cruiserweight

The read bro Enigma, bro Rizal :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm 
Featherweight

Congrats to Wes for reaching Candidates tournament! I hope next time he gets a great coach! :)
It never is wrong having another input/great mind at your disposal. It is a great investment !

Ego is something we all eventually tame, as we add more yrs. :)
Whatever it is, i’m sure he can muster it to get a needed 2nd.

I’ll keep it brief and within chess bounds. :)
For I think if we deviate much then this becomes out of topic.

Thanks for making us proud, represent bro!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 am 
Heavyweight

The way Wesley so speak during the interview, Mukhang hinde talaga decisive ang preparation niya he thinks hinde pa niya time para e challenge si Magnus carlsen .

Mukhang satisfy na siya na makarating sa candidate matches and gain experience .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:36 am 
Heavyweight

Go Wesley So. No matter what happens in the outcome of the recent Candidates tournament. We support you all the way. Bounce back big time on the next tourney... God Bless you and more power... :angel: :angel: :angel:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 pm 
Cruiserweight

Nice read bro Enigma, bro Rizal :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Up

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:02 am 
Light Heavyweight

keep playing and enjoy. anand at his age still playing brilliant chess. you are still young and plenty to learn. keep trying, the whole nation is behind you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 am 
Featherweight

Love reading it Bro.
Just have 2 questions. :)
1. There have been plenty of people in history who believed in one God without the help of the Bible. I personally believed that one cannot understand the Godhead except by revelation. And I believed that we need the bible or we need evidence in Scripture for us to understand Godhead but on the contrary it may not so. A man may believed in ONE God but does not mean it was a revelation because many Christians believed in One God but do not share the same views. Like 3 person in one God, Almighty God and mighty God, Jesus is the God itself or One God and Jesus is a man. So is Philosophical truth enough for us to understand ONE God?

2. Thou shalt not kill is a philosophical truth that can be known by reason. Even these moral norms can be known without recourse to religion or the Bible. Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” Where does this moral norms came from if not in the bible?

Thank you so much bro. Excited to hear your response. :)

It’s no wonder then that Gorio doesn’t believe in the saying: “ang utang ay dapat bayaran”... :lol:

Kidding aside, the answer to this is simple enough – it’s a wonderful world of faith and reason!

Whereas philosophy pertains to reason alone, theology pertains to divine revelation. When the Greek philosopher Plato discussed whether the human soul existed after death, he was engaged in philosophy -- a reasoned argument. However, when Moses spoke of the will of the “God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,” he was engaged in revealing divine truths. This accords with theology.

Philosophy and theology, like reason and faith, are distinct but complementary. It is said that philosophy is the “handmaiden” of theology. This means that the power of reason and the truths known through reason are able to aid and assist men in theology.

For example, a pagan living on an island in the middle of nowhere can know the truth that God exists. This is something that unaided reason can lead a person to know. It is a philosophical truth that does not require religion. There have been plenty of people in history who believed in one God without the help of the Bible. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Cicero are examples of pagan thinkers who postulated a highest God who reigned over all. Other philosophical truths include the fact that God is different from creation, that humans are different from other animals, that humans have a soul, and that there are moral laws. Thou shalt not kill is a philosophical truth that can be known by reason. Even these moral norms can be known without recourse to religion or the Bible.

• God exists
• God is one
Do not steal

• Heaven and Hell

So, once again, what can a pagan know? A pagan can know there is a God and know that he has an immortal soul long before he becomes a Christian. The theological truths, like those in the second set of examples presented above, answer the “so what” questions occasioned in the first set of examples. For instance, “If there is a God and I have a soul, then what do I do about it?” The philosophical question leads to a theological question.

Finally, in the exact words of drk_schultz (in PRMO section of Lounge Area in this forum), and I quote, “MAGIC is the FOUNDATION of RELIGION na inbolb ang god”. That, to me, is an absurd statement. I don’t see any magic involved here. On the contrary, I only see reason leading to faith. I only see philosophical truths finding fulfillment in the theological truths.

Back to topic...

We would like to say that Wesley had, at least, a good learning experience in his first try in the Candidates Tournament. Many great players in the past (Paul Keres, Efim Geller, etc) never became challengers to the world title because they had never won first place in the Candidates Tournament. Even the legendary Bobby Fischer had to pass through three attempts in the Candidates before he finally made it to the world championship.

We, therefore, continue our support for Wesley – wishing him the best and hoping and praying for his many triumphs that are still to come.

As a footnote then, did God fail us in our earlier hope and prayers? No. God is faithful to His promises. Our part is to ask, and we must be persevering and humble in our prayer.

So many times we hear people saying: “Oh, I used to ask God for this and that and the other, but He never gave it to me. Now, ten years later, how glad I am that He didn’t!”

One thing is certain: God will not fail to answer a humble and persevering prayer. Whether He chooses to grant what we ask immediately or make us wait, we must trust that He, regardless of appearances, is doing us good. (Our thoughts are not His thoughts, nor our ways His ways.)

Another consideration pertaining to non-believers is this: If God were to grant us absolutely everything we ask at a moment’s notice, such people might start believing purely out of self-interest. They would look at God as a wand-wielding wizard (a magician!). And God Our Lord is infinitely more than that. He wants us to know, love, and serve Him for Himself so that He can treat us as children and heirs and grant us unending happiness in Heaven.

So, in the end, we may throw back the question: where is magic here? :)[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 pm 
Welterweight

smacks1879 wrote:
Love reading it Bro.
1. There have been plenty of people in history who believed in one God without the help of the Bible. I personally believed that one cannot understand the Godhead except by revelation. And I believed that we need the bible or we need evidence in Scripture for us to understand Godhead but on the contrary it may not so. A man may believed in ONE God but does not mean it was a revelation because many Christians believed in One God but do not share the same views. Like 3 person in one God, Almighty God and mighty God, Jesus is the God itself or One God and Jesus is a man. So is Philosophical truth enough for us to understand ONE God?

2. Thou shalt not kill is a philosophical truth that can be known by reason. Even these moral norms can be known without recourse to religion or the Bible. Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” Where does this moral norms came from if not in the bible?

Feeling that I might be digressing from the thread’s topic in posting my reply to the questions, I must ask for Mod Joey’s lenient judgment.

To question no. 1:

First of all, we must remember that philosophy pertains only to what we can know by raw reason, whereas theology pertains to truths known through prophecy or divine revelation. Theological discussions begin with God and then descend from him to the world. Philosophy, on the other hand, works in the opposite direction. Philosophical discussions begin with knowledge of the world and then ascend to a very limited and abstract understanding of God. So, there are truths that can never be known by reason, but are nevertheless true. For example, God is the Blessed Trinity (like you said, 3 persons in one God) is a revealed truth. The Trinity cannot be known by reason alone. It is revealed by God and held by faith. Similarly, Jesus will come to judge the living and the dead is a theological truth known by revelation and apprehended by faith.

Secondly, there is a distinction between knowing “that” there is a God and knowing “what” God is. With philosophy and unaided reason, we only know “that” there is a God and have only a knowledge of “what” God is not. Now, this brings us to the third point and to the question: So what can we know about God?

According to Thomistic philosophy, we can come to know the general attributes of God. We can know what he is like, but we cannot know him directly because he is beyond us. This means we can know God through reason in two ways. First, we can know him by negation. Second, we can know him by analogy. (These two ways are not new. In fact, they are found in the Jewish literature of the Old Testament.)

By using denial or negation, we can accurately say what God is not. For example, God is not a cat. God is not a dog. God is not a tree. God is not a star. God is not a planet. As you can see, this could go on for quite some time! However, it eventually leads to the most general negations. For example, God is not in time or space. We take the Latin word finis which means “boundary” and we negate it by adding the negative prefix in- to get “infinite.” This form of theology by denial is called apophasis, the Greek word for denial.

Finally, we can also speak of the general attributes of God even though it is impossible for us to know what God truly is, by applying the principle of analogy of being. We don’t have enough time and space here to discuss this principle in detail. Here’s the main idea:

God’s essence is his existence. We share in his existence. We exist because he called us into existence. Therefore, since we participate in him, we can have an analogous knowledge of God. So when we say, “God is love,” that should be understood as, “God is like our human love but in an infinitely higher way.” When we say, “God is perfect,” that should be understood analogously, as in, “God is like our notion of perfection but infinitely more so.” By insisting on analogy and “similarity,” we can speak meaningfully about God without getting bogged down in literalism.

(based on notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 pm 
Welterweight

To question no. 2:

The answer to this has something to do with natural law.

After creating the universe from nothing, God did not abandon His creatures to chance and leave them without purpose or guidance. On the contrary, He ordered and directed them to an end according to the plan established by His Divine Wisdom.

In an ordered universe guided by understandable physical laws, man also must have a final end and moral laws tailored to his nature that guide and govern him. It would be absurd if such ordering laws existed but were not easily knowable by man.

A moment’s reflection suffices to conclude that such laws exist and that man, too, is subject to the supreme order God established in Creation.

Man’s sense of being tells him that he is a man and a human being. His reason concludes that he exists within the limits of human nature. He knows that he is not a rock or a plant or a mere animal. He also knows he is not an angel but a man. Human nature is the “blueprint” for man’s conduct as a human being.

Part of the law governing man refers to non-free acts: physiological acts like sensation, digestion, breathing, blinking or growth. They are contained in this human “blueprint” and occur “automatically,” as it were, independent of a direct command from the will.

However, not all acts are automatic. Man performs free acts in his capacity as a rational being endowed with intellect and will. As such, he has the power to do or not do these actions as he so chooses.

Nevertheless, these acts are also subject to rules of behaviour established by the Creator. This supreme ordering of human conduct, this moral “blueprint” inscribed by the Creator in man’s very nature, is called “natural law.”

As its name indicates, natural law flows from human nature. It is that law which man can know with the light of reason without the aid of Divine Revelation, since God inscribed it in the depths of all hearts as Saint Paul teaches:

“For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law. They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them” (Rom. 2:14-15).

Since it is inscribed on the hearts of all men, it is the same for everyone, everywhere and throughout time. Thus, natural law is universal. It is also immutable; time does not affect it. Moreover, there is no dispensation from natural law. All men must observe it. Lastly, it is perceptible and knowable by all men who have reached the age of reason.

Though they may err at times in their application, the most primitive peoples believe in the existence of universal principles such as, “We must love the supreme good,” “Do good and avoid evil,” “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” and “Live according to right reason.”

All other principles stem from these universal principles: the respect due to one’s parents; the prohibition of homicide, theft, adultery, incest, lying and calumny; in sum, all of the Ten Commandments except the third (Keep holy the Sabbath), which is a Divine positive law.

(with notes from the book “Defending a Higher Law” by TFP Committee on American Issues)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 am 
Welterweight

I think the 2018 U.S. Chess Championship is coming, and Wesley will be defending his title.

Wishing him the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 am 
Light Heavyweight

smacks1879 wrote:
Love reading it Bro.

• God exists
• God is one
Do not steal

• Heaven and Hell

Back to topic...

So, in the end, we may throw back the question: where is magic here? :)
[/quote]

Let me answer your first (and only) question in 1, because 2 is not a question.

1. We will know that there is one God by means of philosophy. God is spirit, the One SPIRIT that is the source of LIFE, the same spirit or breath of life that was blown into our nostrils to make us living souls. This means that all spirits that give life came from God and are part of God. The living spirits within us all came from God and must return to Him when we die. We are one with God in spirit, because our spirits that keep us alive came from Him. The same with the Word that dwelt in the physical body of Jesus, it is also the Spirit of God. In fact, the Word is not only the spirit that kept Jesus alive, that same Word was also with God in the beginning and was in fact God. For how can IT not be God when that spirit was part of the same ONE God? Every living soul has the spirit of God (life) within it. When that soul dies because of sin, the spirit returns to God and the dead soul or body sleeps in the grave. No one can give life except God, the source of life. The only difference between the Word or spirit of Jesus and the spirit within us is that the spirit within us is one that keeps us alive, whereas the spirit (Word) within Jesus is part of God which created us in the beginning. The Bible says that Jesus manifests the 'FULLNESS' of God because the Word is God. The physical Jesus is man, not God. The spirit of Jesus (Word) is God, and God being spirit, is ONE. That is, God the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit, are ONE and the same spirit of the ONE GOD.

2. The LAW points to the sins that we have committed, that is, it condemns us to die because of that sin. The 10 Commandments judged us as sinners who deserve to die. There is no escape from this punishment because God does not change. How then can we be saved? Through the Grace of the SON, the Heir of the Father who bequeathed everything to His only begotten Son. If the Son had not been born, we would not have received salvation because we would all die without redemption. The blood of Jesus has redeemed us from certain death.
By analogy, an earthly King may pass a law that anybody who violates his command will be sentenced to die. But if the King abdicates the throne and transfer all authority to His Son, the Son may pass a new law that would not change the command of His Father, but would absolve offenders on condition that they obey the Son. The Law of the Father did not change but the Law of the Son has redeemed us from that Law.

This promise of salvation by the Son is the foundation of Christianity, of which Wesley is a member. The more Wesley believes in Jesus, the more his faith will deepen and take him to greater heights in the pursuit of his dreams.

Success is measured not by what you have achieved,
but by the degree of satisfaction you derive from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1667, 1668, 1669, 1670, 1671, 1672  Next