Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 11:55 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 1692  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
Hard to surpass
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/

‘What Campo did will be hard to surpass’
BY CHRISTINE MONCADA

GRANDMASTER Eugene Torre yesterday said Philippine chess will mourn the passing of Florencio Campomanes, adding his contributions to the game will be hard to forget and surpass.

Although shocked by Campomanes’ passing yesterday, Torre said: "Talaga namang dadating na rin ‘yan, nahirapan na rin siya, mahina na rin."

He chose instead to focus on what Campomanes did to chess here and the whole world, especially when he brought two big events here–the 1978 World Championship between Viktor Korchnoi and Anatoly Karpov and the 1992 Chess Olympiad.

"Napakalaki ng contribution niya sa chess, hindi lang sa Pilipinas kundi sa buong mundo. His being FIDE president was in itself a remarkable achievement. He had good relations with presidents of various federations. And under his term, he focused on the development of young players. That explains kung bakit napakaraming mga batang magagaling ngayon," said Torre, who became the country’s and Asia’s first GM as a 22-year-old back in 1974 when the Philippine team finished a fighting 11th overall in the World Chess Olympiad in Nice, France.

"We worked together during those days. Although the PCF (Philippine Chess Federation) was led by Bombi Aznar then, Campo was our titular head. He helped us strategize and he took care of all the team’s needs," said Torre, now 58.

Along with Torre, making up the RP team in the Nice Olympiad were Ramon Lontoc Jr., Renato Naranja, Rosendo Balinas Jr., Rodolfo Tan-Cardoso, and Glenn Bordonada.

That team’s 11th place finish stood as the best for the country until another squad that also included Torre finished seventh overall in 1988.

"Practically we were a father-and-son tandem. But make no mistake about he, he was the godfather of Philippine chess. Almost all of the country’s best players, especially the veterans, grew up with Campo at the helm," said Torre.

"It’s a great privilege na nagkaroon ako ng close association sa kanya. I won’t forget it. He was a great man of the chess world, parang Fischer," Torre concluded.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/05042010/sports5.html

::: :( :::

Our Condolences to the Campomanes Family !

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:22 am 
Heavyweight

Campo makes his final move
Sports
TUESDAY, 04 MAY 2010 18:53
http://businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24785:campo-makes-his-final-move&catid=31:sports&Itemid=65

FLORENCIO Campomanes, the first Filipino—and Asian for that matter—to head the World Chess Federation (Fide), died yesterday after a lingering illness. He was 83.

The chess icon, who stunned the world by capturing the Fide presidency as an underdog in 1982 in Lucerne, Switzerland, breathed his last at 1:30 p.m. at Iggy’s Inn in Baguio City.

“He moved on peacefully, and with quiet gentleness all around him,” said Des Bautista, who built the Iggy’s Inn with wife Auring. “He was a giant in Philippine sports and his passing created a void that will be hard to fill in.”

Bautista and Campomanes—Pocams to his dear friends—had been bosom buddies since ’60s.

“I lost a man who was more than a brother to me,” said Bautista. “And, if I may add, I also lost a poker mate, whose passion for and skills in the card game are rivaled only by his love for and deft-laden moves in chess.”

Before his ascent to chess officialdom, Campomanes, a national master, had been a professor of Political Science at the University of the Philippines Diliman and had also played for flag and country.

He was playing team captain, Philippine delegate and media reporter (he wrote columns for The Manila Times and the defunct Daily Express) in the Cuba World Chess Championship in the 1960s, with Carlos Benitez, Renato Naranja and Rodolfo Tan Cardoso as his teammates.

Until his election as Fide president, Campomanes had been a virtual outsider as the world chess body was then dominated virtually by Europeans.

Under his watch, Campomanes, a linguist who also spoke Spanish fluently, literally opened the Fide doors to the world—from Asia to Africa, from the Arab world to South America.

Using his battle cry “One World Through Chess,” he courted nonchess-playing nations to join Fide, including the Middle East countries and such African countries like Tunisia and Nigeria and even Trinidad and Tobago.

In his pre-Fide days, he produced Asia ’s first grand master, the legendary Eugene Torre, in 1973.

Campomanes would also soon bring to the country the world’s top grand masters from Europe and the United States for world-caliber tournaments, triggering a surge of the sport’s popularity.

His staging of the Karpov-Korchnoi World Championship Match in Baguio in 1978 would further cement Campomanes’s place in sports history, not to mention that he had also brought to the Philippines other former world chess champions like Tigran Petrosyan, Boris Spassky, Garry Kasparov and Bobby Fischer, not only once but many times.

Upon his rise to the Fide presidency in 1982, Campomanes would quickly author a renaissance in chess, creating an atmosphere that also saw the sprouting of many more Filipino grand masters.

In 2009,the University of Baguio awarded him a doctorate in Humanities, Honoris Causa.

At the time of his death, Campomanes was the president emeritus of Fide.

“It was his wish that we hold a short wake at Iggy’s Inn,” said Bautista. “His remains would be laid beside that of our son’s, Iggy, at the Baguio Cathedral.”

::: :) :::

Florencio Campomanes, February 22, 1927 – May 3, 2010

pls read more articles:

http://sports.inquirer.net/sportsevents/sportsevents/view/20100504-267916/Campomanes-visionary-ex-FIDE-president-83

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6302

http://reports.chessdom.com/news-2010/florencio-campomanes-passes-away

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 am 
Light Heavyweight

let not his legacy go onto waste,i hope the (new)goverment will continue and do more effort in supporting chess and aspirants in our country.Condolence for the loss of the great Filipino who represent the face of Philippine chess to the whole world.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 pm 
Heavyweight

Hugo Boss wrote:
let not his legacy go onto waste,i hope the (new)goverment will continue and do more effort in supporting chess and aspirants in our country.Condolence for the loss of the great Filipino who represent the face of Philippine chess to the whole world.

So be it (amen) to that bro "Hugo Boss" ! Let those great efforts & achievements ... the legacy left behind ... by our chess hero "Florencio Campomanes" be an inspiration to our country and its people specially our leaders, chess officials & players to aspire greatness in this field we call ... CHESS ! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:08 pm 
Heavyweight

RIP Campo :(

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 pm 
Heavyweight

RIP mr Campo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:28 pm 
Heavyweight

Wesley So, the only player w/o a coach among the World’s Top 10 Juniors
by: joeyj 5 May 2010

Do you know that GM Wesley So PHI (2665) is the only player among the World’s Top 10 Juniors without a coach ?

A closer look at FIDE's TOP 10 Juniors as of May 2010 had produced these results:

1. GM Magnus Carlsen NOR(2813) born Nov 30, 1990, did have as coach/trainor in the person of GM Garry Kasparov, the former World Champion & arguably the greatest player in the history of the game, for almost a year in 2009. Carlsen attributed his significant progression to the World’s Nr 1 spot in FIDE rating list since January 2010, considerably ahead of schedule, in his cooperation with Garry Kasparov. For 2010 they had entered into a new stage of cooperation … still as Carlsen’s consultant & adviser as well as trainor. (source: Der Spiegel interview reprinted by ChessBase)

Kasparov and Carlsen working together in 2009 in a summer camp in Croatia

2. GM Sergey Karjakin RUS(2739) born Jan 12, 1990, decision to transfer to Russia from Ukraine is producing best results. His decision according to Sergey (as reported by chessvibes.com) is “mostly because of the coaches. And I also need to train with good coaches and there are a few good coaches in Russia, for example Yuri Dokhoian, who worked with Garry Kasparov and now in this tournament he is working with me”. Additionally, he said … “This decision was made because I didn’t have enough support inside the country, in Ukraine”.

As of May 2010 FIDE rating list GM Karjakin had reached its peak ELO rating of 2739, and rose as the 2nd best among the world’s juniors and now ranked 3rd best player of Russia and also 14th best in the world. Currently, he is now being trained by GM Alexander Motylev, the coach of the Russian national team.

3. GM Maxime Vachier-Lagrave FRA(2710) born Oct 21, 1990 and the reigning World Junior Chess Champion do have coaches too ! In his interview at chessdom.com he said … “I also have some trainers who I see during tournaments and some training sessions with Arnaud Hauchard and Pavel Tregubov”.

France's GM Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (right), with trainer GM Arnaud Hauchard

4. GM Ian Nepomniachtchi RUS(2695) born on July 14th, 1990 and as of May 2010 FIDE ratings is the Top Junior candidate to 2700+ ELO zone or the hyper-GM status. He only needs +5 ELO to attain that status.

He was the 11th European Individual Men Chess Champion held in Rijeka on 5-19 March 2010. He is a textbook example of a talent cultivated and produced by the world famous Russian chess school. Been in the hands of one of Russia’s most reputable coaches (and trainer of Russia’s national junior team) GM Sergey Janovsky.

5. GM Le, Quang Liem VIE(2687) born on Mar 13, 1991 is a product of an ambitious Vietnam government chess program & investment hiring foreign coaches (Russians & Ukranians) to train the National Chess Team. Le was the 1st Asian chess player to win the Moscow Aeroflot (2010), the toughest open tournament in the world. The victory and a 3rd place in the earlier Moscow Open put him where he is now. After the victory @ Aeroflot, Le told Thanh Nien newspaper that he would stay in Russia for one month to consult Russian coach GM Alexander Khalifman, a former 1999 FIDE champion. Le also attributed his two Major accomplishment this year were due to his collaboration with GM Evgeny Bareev a year ago and this is what he said … “I believe that my good results arrived mostly thanks to him. Evgeny did a lot to help me to progress, he can identify weaknesses in my game and help me make steps for the overall improvement”.

6. GM Fabiano Caruana ITA(2675) born Jul 30, 1992, is the first player ever to win both Corus C (2008) and Corus B (2009) in consecutive years placing clear first in both. His trainers were National Master Bruce Pandolfini and GM Miron Sher. He also trained with GM Pal Benko, when Pal was spending summers in New Jersey, and via the Internet with GM Gregory Kaidanov. GM Alexander Chernin HUN is his current trainer.

7. GM Wesley So PHI(2665) born Oct 9, 1993

Wesley recent interview @ The Chess World Cup 2009 to the question … Do you have a personal coach? His answer was … “Unfortunately I don't. But I think that the moment is coming: I will need it soon”.

8. GM Dmitry Andreikin RUS (2643) born Feb 5, 1990, is a Russian Junior Chess Champion. He is another example of a young talent cultivated and produced by the world famous Russian chess school. Also been in the hands of Russia’s national junior team coach GM Sergey Janovsky.

9. GM Anish Giri NED (2642) born June 28, 1994. At 15 is the youngest player ever to win the Dutch Championship (Sep 2009). He also won the 2010 Corus “B” Tournamament in Wijk aan Zee. Who said he don’t have a coach? In his interview after winning the Dutch Championship with chessvibes.com he said … “I have already had a short training session with Vladimir Chuchelov (trainer of the Dutch Chess Federation) in July, and I think we will continue working on chess. Daniel Fridman also helped me and I had a contact with him during the championship. I think those cooperations helped me in this tournament and I hope they will help me in the future as well”.

According to chessbase (18.01.2010) … “Only recently did Anish start practicing with a coach.”

10. GM Nguyen, Ngoc Truong Son VIE (2642) born in Feb 23, 1990 is another top Vietnamese Chess player. Also a recipient of his government & private sponsorship, he trained under coach Hoang Minh Chuong in Hungary.

If these World’s 9 top young players and their respective countries had recognized the value to train with good (world class) coaches/trainers and they had attributed as well their achievements & progress in the ranking chart on their collaboration to their coaches ... It is also but proper and a must that GM WESLEY SO be also provided with a good & worldclass Coach/Trainer!

As to what level of success we expect of him to progress soonest … will also largely be dependent on the level of coach/trainer this country could provide him!

::: :D :::

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:33 am 
Heavyweight

Update on CARLSEN & KASPAROV Collaboration ...

Kasparov and Carlsen – together again in Oslo

An excerpt: from chessbase.com

05.05.2010 – Former World Champion Garry Kasparov was in Norway to speak at the Oslo Freedom Forum – but also to meet up with his young colleague and sometime student Magnus Carlsen, currently number one in the world rankings. The two were interviewed by the national NRK TV.

Kasparov was in Norway not just for the Freedom Forum. He was greeted at Oslo's Gardermoen airport by his friend and colleague Magnus Carlsen, whom he has trained in the past. Kasparov participated in an event with one of Magnus's two main sponsors, the law company of Simonsen, which has published nice blog reports on their national chess hero in the past. They also sent Magnus to Bergen to play blitz at their recruiting exhibition stand. Simonsen promised a permanent job to any student who could beat him, but based on the outcome of the 26 games," Magnus said, "they will have to select a different criteria for recruiting." The opposition varied from beginners up to one grandmaster. TV 2 and other media covered the event, and the sponsor was very satisfied with the atmosphere and attention.

"Right now I believe that Magnus Carlsen can serve the cause of chess better than anyone else. He is young, he is Norwegian, from the Western World, very attractive for the media. That could symbolise a new era." (Kasparov)

Kasparov and Carlsen at the meeting centered around the Tromsø Olympiad bid for
2014. The speaker is Jøran Jansson, the president of the Norwegian Chess Federation.

"Garry has helped me a lot really. Not the least in the opening phase, where he was the greatest expert in the world, but also in the area of psychology."

Q: "Is your next goal to become World Champion?" Magnus: "Of course that is a goal, but it is not something I think about every day. It is not an all-consuming goal. I feel it will just be a natural step at some point in time."

What could we learn from these ???

1. GM Magnus Carlsen has a coach named Garry Kasparov ... one of the greatest if not the greatest player of all time & a topnotched coach & trainer as well.

2. GM Magnus Carlsen has two main Sponsors ... & one of them is the law company of Simonsen !

The company is using Carlsen to promote chess as well as for recruitment for a permanent job at the company & for the company's midea mileage too for sure. TV and other media coverage adds up to the excitement and the sponsor was very satisfied with the atmosphere and attention.

3. Carlsen confirmation of his satisfaction of having Kasparov as his coach ...

"Garry has helped me a lot really. Not the least in the opening phase, where he was the greatest expert in the world, but also in the area of psychology."

read more: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6308

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:46 pm 
Heavyweight

Pls read link below ...

Wesley So, the only player w/o a coach among the World’s Top 10 Juniors

http://www.gmwesleyso.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150:wesley-so-the-only-player-wo-a-coach-among-the-worlds-top-10-juniors&catid=38:featured-article&Itemid=64

:celebrate:

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 pm 
Heavyweight

Hi & Hello ... ka Barangay Wesley ! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:34 pm 
Lightweight

Bro Joey, any info on Wesley's next tournament?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:35 pm 
Heavyweight

GM Wesley So PHI

CALENDAR OF EVENTS FY-2010 (TENTATIVE)

Seq : DATE : EVENT : Venue
1 : May 24 - 31 : BATTLE OF GRANDMASTERS : Tagaytay City
2 : Jun 20 - 30 : ASIAN BATTLE OF GRANDMASTERS : Manila
3 : Aug 11 - 23 : Rising Star Vs. Experience : NH Grand Hotel Kransnapolsky in Amsterdam
4 : Sep 19-Oct 4 : WORLD CHESS OLYMPIAD : Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia
5 : Oct 28-Nov 7 : 2010 SPICE Cup  : Texas Tech University, Texas, USA.
6 : Nov 12-27 16th ASIAN GAMES 2010 : Guangzhou, China

Additionally, according to Barangay Wesley(BW) @ chess.com, Wesley’s Manager Reggie Tee had mentioned that another tournament in Europe sometime in July after Wesley’s 1 week training with GM Susan Polgar in the U.S. is being worked out & communicated directly with the organizers.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:15 am 
Lightweight

thanks sir joey

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:05 pm 
Heavyweight

builder wrote:
thanks sir joey

you're welcome bro "builder" ! T.Y. too ! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:26 pm 
Heavyweight

VOTING UPDATE ...

7 Days To Go !!!

Who do you think should compose the RP Men's Team which will represent the country in the 2010 Chess Olympiad?

Current Standing (Result as of 02:15AM 09 May 2010)

1. GM Wesley So 410(92%)
2. GM Joey Antonio 362(82%)
3. GM Mark Paragua 309(70%)
4. GM John Paul Gomez 297(67%)
5. GM Eugene Torre 258(58%)
6. GM Darwin Laylo 237(53%)

7. GM Rogelio Barcenilla 84(19%)
8. IM Richard Bitoon 73(16%)
9. GM Buenaventura Villamayor 45(10%)
10. IM Barbosa, Oliver 35(7%)
11. IM Oliver Dimakiling 35(7%)
12. GM Gonzales, Jayson 31(7%)
13. GM Sanchez, Joseph 28(6%)
14. IM Dableo, Ronald 28(6%)
15. IM Sadorra, Julio Catalino 26(5%)
16. IM Yap, Kim Steven 23(5%)

Total Votes so far: 441
Days left to vote: 7

Pls Vote (click link below)

http://chesswindows.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 1692  Next