Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:09 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1608, 1609, 1610, 1611, 1612, 1613, 1614 ... 1677  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:16 am 
Middleweight

Congrats Wes! It's always nice to see you come back strong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 am 
Cruiserweight

doubleblade29 wrote:
^^^tengeneng kanta na yan, pinilit ko kantahin hanggang dulo, nagkasore throat ako kinabukasan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Translation: Let's go, Wesley...!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 am 
Cruiserweight

Keep on winning Wesley! Win the tournament . . . . come from behind ika nga!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 am 
Heavyweight

joeyj wrote:
R5: 25 Apr: GM So, Wesley (2822) - GM Kramnik, Vladimir(2811): 1-0: +4.8 : 2811.5

https://chessaccount.com/live-ratings-phi/wesley-so-live-ratings/

Nice, congratz Wesley So... :) :D :celebrate:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:18 pm 
Heavyweight

Congrats wes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:02 pm 
Bantamweight

TheEnigma wrote:

At one point, White could have made a sacrificial attacking move had he played Rxf7 on move 39. However, the resulting complications were deep to calculate with little time left. Instead, Wesley chose a line that would net him a pawn in a favorable endgame.

I saw that Bro, and that was a good idea. In its aftermath, white would be battling black's rook and 2 knights with his queen and bishop, plus the advantage of having a safe haven for his king. Looks good for white, but there are still lots of combinations to consider. Wes chose otherwise and continued the pressure.

The thing is Wes found a better opponent to beat, the guy he is jockeying with for the world's no 2 position. I will be happy if Wes doesn't win this one but stays on no. 2 in the world ranking. I will be happier if he catches the leader and gets at least a tie for first place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:38 pm 
Bantamweight

Re: So vs Kramnik

Sorry, I stand corrected on my reaction to Bro TheEnigma's presupposition of sacrificial attack by Wes by Rxf7 on move 39. I now think it's a bad idea, Bro. After 39. Rxf7......Kxf7, and the attack fizzles out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 pm 
Cruiserweight

Kaya siguraduhin ang analysis bago mag post. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 pm 
Welterweight

Blunder :lol: , para cgurado pa assist kay stockfish :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 am 
Welterweight

black bishop wrote:

Sorry, I stand corrected on my reaction to Bro TheEnigma's presupposition of sacrificial attack by Wes by Rxf7 on move 39. I now think it's a bad idea, Bro. After 39. Rxf7......Kxf7, and the attack fizzles out.

Nice observation, Bro black bishop. Thanks again for sharing your opinion.

As it is, to each his own...

First of all, let me make it clear that I believe Wesley made the right choice (the most practical one at the moment) when he played 39. Ne3, since it was difficult to calculate all the variations resulting from 39. Rxf7 with only about 4 minutes left on his clock to complete the first time control.

Secondly, the suggested rook sacrifice may not necessarily lead to a sustained mating attack. However, the consequent piece exchanges may gain material for White or may transition the play into a favorable endgame for White -- much simpler than that occurring in the actual game.

One line, for instance, may run like this:
39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Kg8, 41. Nd4, etc. The pinned knight on e6 is a goner, e.g., 41...Qf6, 42. Qd7. Also, Black’s queenside pawns would eventually fall.

Here’s another variation:
39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Re7, 41. Nxe7 Qxe7, 42. Qxc6, etc. Any reply by Black would be answered by 43. Qxe6, just in time as the Black knight is still immobile due to the pin.
(Hence, after these ‘forced’ exchanges, a King-and-pawns ending would ensue -- White having four connected pawns on the kingside against two for Black, and along with their respective b-pawns. This is an elementary win for White.)

On 40...Kf6 after White’s 40. Qxc7+, many variations are possible. One idea is to lure the Black King away from his home and further into White’s territory, so that it would be exposed to the attack of White’s kingside pawns. The method would entail additionally sacrificing the knight on f5, and may result either to having the Black King caught in a mating net, or to gaining some material for White (even Black’s Queen).

Here’s one line (sacrificing the knight on f5):
39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Kf6, 41. e5+ Kxf5, 42. Bb1+ Kg5, 43. Qxh7 with the double threat of Qxg6 mate and Qh4 mate. If Black plays 43...Qh6, White would win the Queen. 44. h4+ Kh5, 45. Bxg6+.

If Black does not take the knight on f5:
39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Kf6, 41. e5+ Kg5, 42. h4+ Kg4 (...Kh5, 43. Qxh7+ Kg4, 44. Qxg6+) 43. f3+ Kxf5, 44. Bb1 mate.

Of course, I don’t have the luxury of time to go through all the intricacies of the different variations. The rest is left to all chess enthusiasts here as exercise.

"One must learn by doing the thing." -- Sophocles

Until next time...signing off... :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:13 am 
Cruiserweight

TheEnigma wrote:
black bishop wrote:

First of all, let me make it clear that I believe Wesley made the right choice (the most practical one at the moment) when he played 39. Ne3, since it was difficult to calculate all the variations resulting from 39. Rxf7 with only about 4 minutes left on his clock to complete the first time control.

Secondly, the suggested rook sacrifice may not necessarily lead to a sustained mating attack. However, the consequent piece exchanges may gain material for White or may transition the play into a favorable endgame for White -- much simpler than that occurring in the actual game.

39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Kg8, 41. Nd4, etc. The pinned knight on e6 is a goner, e.g., 41...Qf6, 42. Qd7. Also, Black’s queenside pawns would eventually fall.

39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Re7, 41. Nxe7 Qxe7, 42. Qxc6, etc. Any reply by Black would be answered by 43. Qxe6, just in time as the Black knight is still immobile due to the pin.
(Hence, after these ‘forced’ exchanges, a King-and-pawns ending would ensue -- White having four connected pawns on the kingside against two for Black, and along with their respective b-pawns. This is an elementary win for White.)

On 40...Kf6 after White’s 40. Qxc7+, many variations are possible. One idea is to lure the Black King away from his home and further into White’s territory, so that it would be exposed to the attack of White’s kingside pawns. The method would entail additionally sacrificing the knight on f5, and may result either to having the Black King caught in a mating net, or to gaining some material for White (even Black’s Queen).

39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Kf6, 41. e5+ Kxf5, 42. Bb1+ Kg5, 43. Qxh7 with the double threat of Qxg6 mate and Qh4 mate. If Black plays 43...Qh6, White would win the Queen. 44. h4+ Kh5, 45. Bxg6+.

39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Kf6, 41. e5+ Kg5, 42. h4+ Kg4 (...Kh5, 43. Qxh7+ Kg4, 44. Qxg6+) 43. f3+ Kxf5, 44. Bb1 mate.

Of course, I don’t have the luxury of time to go through all the intricacies of the different variations. The rest is left to all chess enthusiasts here as exercise.

Taba ng utak mo bro Enigma! :lol: Kahangahanga ang analysis mo!
8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:59 am 
Featherweight

Site updated with Shamkir-Gashimov 2017 games plus Engima's notes.

http://ssehc.bitballoon.com/tournaments/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 pm 
Bantamweight

TheEnigma wrote:

Bro, after putting the chess pieces on the board and analyzing the continuation of the sacrificial Rxf7, I now agree with you that it is a brilliant move for white. I played all the combinations and they all pointed to an eventual victory for white. I am sorry for my half-baked analysis using just the chess images in the computer. In the actual chessboard, I even tried moving black's king to f6 (after the white's queen takes the knight at c7) to free it from the bishop's pin, but white's pawn push to e5+ will force the king to go closer to white's territory which will eventually result in a mate. It was a very difficult situation for Kramnik as he had no chance of counterplay since Wes's king was safely tucked among its kingside pawns.

Anyway, thanks for your analysis, Bro. That was a lot of time you spent, all for the love of chess and its followers. You're not just a chess expert, but also a philosopher. Now we can continue singing Bridge Over Troubled Water. You are also an artist. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 pm 
Middleweight

"Here’s one line (sacrificing the knight on f5):
39. Rxf7 Kxf7, 40. Qxc7+ Kf6, 41. e5+ Kxf5, 42. Bb1+ Kg5, 43. Qxh7 with the double threat of Qxg6 mate and Qh4 mate. If Black plays 43...Qh6, White would win the Queen. 44. h4+ Kh5, 45. Bxg6+."

As chess players we are always fascinated by sacrificial moves culminating into mating combinations. As such i also looked into this 41. e5+ while analyzing the 39. Rxf7 move but stopped on my tracks because Black has the counter 43. ... Nf4+ and the mating threats are gone. I find it difficult for White to win the ensuing endgame that follows.

The simpler 41. Qxc6 is probably better since after 41. ... gxf5 and 42. exf5 White's position is preferable as I see it.

Just sharing my input.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:08 am 
Cruiserweight

Wesley is about to get his 2nd straight win against Karjakin as he is showing how brilliant he is in the end game. Hindi mahulaan ng SF ang mga moves niya lalo na yung Ka6. It is just a matter of time before Wes promotes his pawn on the B-file. Pero lumalaban pa si Karjakin...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1608, 1609, 1610, 1611, 1612, 1613, 1614 ... 1677  Next