Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:23 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25080 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660, 1661, 1662 ... 1672  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:49 pm 
Cruiserweight

good luck Wes

maski hindi maipanalo ang tourney, mas importante magkamomentum in the last few rounds para hopefully ma-carry over sa Candidates :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 am 
Welterweight

yes! wes won :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:17 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
R4 : 16 Jan : GM Caruana, Fabiano (2811) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) :  ½-½ : +0.3 : 2791

R5 : 17 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Adhiban, B. (2655) : 1-0 : +3.2 : 2794.2

https://chessaccount.com/live-ratings-phi/wesley-so-live-ratings/

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:32 am 
Cruiserweight

a win finally :D

di ko pa na-play through etong panalo ni Wes, but the first thing that came to my mind after learning of this win and Fabi's loss in rd5.........parang nasira ang confidence ni Fabi, after missing two (?) daggers to win his rd4 game against Wes, positive naman ang effect nito kay Wes...nerves of steel talaga si Wes to be able to defend a very precarious position in rd4, some would say he was lucky Fabi missed those moves, pero that's part of the battle over the chessboard, and I think sa ganyan situations malakas si Wesley, as noted by Garry K :)

another good rd6 performance, and Wes' momentum will be surging

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 am 
Cruiserweight

joeyj wrote:
R4 : 16 Jan : GM Caruana, Fabiano (2811) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) :  ½-½ : +0.3 : 2791

R5 : 17 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Adhiban, B. (2655) : 1-0 : +3.2 : 2794.2

Bro. Enigma I'm waiting for your analysis :) . Good win Wes, Keep it up! ! ! !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 am 
Heavyweight

Free day: Thursday 18 January

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 am 
Heavyweight

joeyj wrote:

Yehey!!! a win finally for Wes, hoping for more in the coming rounds. God bless Wesley So... 8) :) :D :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm 
Welterweight

It was a typical adhiban game.kudos to him,he always go for the sharp,complicated lines.but his preparation must have been crushed by wes' 15th move-ndb5,offering his knight. I remember last time they played adhiban opted for the now rarely used king's gambit, a very sharp opening

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:00 am 
Welterweight

noypinga wrote:
joeyj wrote:

I think Caruana outplayed Wesley strategically in their 4th-round encounter. Though the game ended in a thrilling draw, it was a close call for our boy. Wesley, playing Black, chose the Nimzo-Indian against White’s queen pawn opening. Caruana responded with the Rubinstein system (4. e3), and subsequently showed his preference for the Reshevsky variation of the system (5. Ne2 after 4...O-O).

With all of White’s pieces coordinating for the attack, Black’s kingside position began to crack under the pressure of heavy artillery. Nevertheless, Wesley was able to keep his cool and remarkably came up with inventive counter measures by way of opening up the c-file (courtesy of Rc8, b6, and c5 moves). White’s onslaught somehow slowed down after Caruana had mistakenly traded queens. On the other hand, Wesley’s counterattack gained momentum after his queen rook was able to occupy White’s second rank. His other rook also came to life via the open h-file – with both rooks now moving around and behind the enemy King position similar to executing ‘scout ranger’ maneuvers. :)

During brief tactical skirmishes, Wesley was able to advance his d-pawn further forward to the queening square, seemingly forcing Caruana to give up his rook. However, Caruana was able to weave a mating net around Black’s King. Wesley’s only resource then was to give a perpetual check to the White King. What a narrow escape!

On So-Adhiban game, Wesley opened with 1. c4, and the game transposed into a reversed Closed Sicilian set-up (with an early f5 move by Black). This is analogous to the Closed Sicilian when White makes an early f4 pawn push. I think Adhiban overextended himself with his e- and f-pawns, allowing Wesley to come up with an interesting rejoinder in 15. Ndb5 (seemingly offering his knight for more positional gains).

Except for some strategical jockeying for position, White’s play centered around winning Black’s far advanced e-pawn on e3 square. When this pawn was finally captured, the rest of the play turned into an instructive rook endgame. Although White was not perfect in his precision, the endgame was a fine display of the technique on how to convert a one-pawn advantage into a win. After Black had played 73...Kb8, White’s reply 74. Rd7 sealed Black’s fate. Keeping the Black King at least two files away from White’s queening pawn would allow the famous Lucena position to be set up when all the other pawns are off the board. (To the uninitiated, the Lucena position is one of the basic rook endgame positions that is a “must” to master.)

Good luck for the remaining rounds...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:31 am 
Cruiserweight

TheEnigma wrote:
noypinga wrote:
joeyj wrote:

I think Caruana outplayed Wesley strategically in their 4th-round encounter. Though the game ended in a thrilling draw, it was a close call for our boy. Wesley, playing Black, chose the Nimzo-Indian against White’s queen pawn opening. Caruana responded with the Rubinstein system (4. e3), and subsequently showed his preference for the Reshevsky variation of the system (5. Ne2 after 4...O-O).

With all of White’s pieces coordinating for the attack, Black’s kingside position began to crack under the pressure of heavy artillery. Nevertheless, Wesley was able to keep his cool and remarkably came up with inventive counter measures by way of opening up the c-file (courtesy of Rc8, b6, and c5 moves). White’s onslaught somehow slowed down after Caruana had mistakenly traded queens. On the other hand, Wesley’s counterattack gained momentum after his queen rook was able to occupy White’s second rank. His other rook also came to life via the open h-file – with both rooks now moving around and behind the enemy King position similar to executing ‘scout ranger’ maneuvers. :)

During brief tactical skirmishes, Wesley was able to advance his d-pawn further forward to the queening square, seemingly forcing Caruana to give up his rook. However, Caruana was able to weave a mating net around Black’s King. Wesley’s only resource then was to give a perpetual check to the White King. What a narrow escape!

On So-Adhiban game, Wesley opened with 1. c4, and the game transposed into a reversed Closed Sicilian set-up (with an early f5 move by Black). This is analogous to the Closed Sicilian when White makes an early f4 pawn push. I think Adhiban overextended himself with his e- and f-pawns, allowing Wesley to come up with an interesting rejoinder in 15. Ndb5 (seemingly offering his knight for more positional gains).

Except for some strategical jockeying for position, White’s play centered around winning Black’s far advanced e-pawn on e3 square. When this pawn was finally captured, the rest of the play turned into an instructive rook endgame. Although White was not perfect in his precision, the endgame was a fine display of the technique on how to convert a one-pawn advantage into a win. After Black had played 73...Kb8, White’s reply 74. Rd7 sealed Black’s fate. Keeping the Black King at least two files away from White’s queening pawn would allow the famous Lucena position to be set up when all the other pawns are off the board. (To the uninitiated, the Lucena position is one of the basic rook endgame positions that is a “must” to master.)

Good luck for the remaining rounds...

Thank you! Very instructive. Ang gandang i-actual sa chess board! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:29 am 
Welterweight

what a reversal in his game against wei yi.
Wes was losing, but wei cracked under time pressure.
Now wesley is winning :D
go wes :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:33 am 
Welterweight

wesley wins and moves up to world no. 3 in live rating

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:23 am 
Heavyweight

R5 : 17 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Adhiban, B. (2655) : 1-0 : 3.2 : 2794.2
Rest Day 18 Jan
R6 : 19 Jan : GM Wei, Yi (2743) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) : 0-1 : 4.3 : 2798.5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:38 am 
Welterweight

Wow! This is the kind of enterprising chess we sometimes yearn for. The Wei Yi – So game in the 6th round evidently kept every chess fan following it on the edge of their seats.

It opened as a Reti, and Wesley (playing Black) opted for that line of early pawn capture on c4. Both players were clearly on ‘no holds barred’ fighting mode as they deliberately refrained from castling all throughout the entire opening and mid-game phases.

The position started to get ‘wild’ after the Chinese initiated an aggressive pawn push to g4 on his 10th move. A few moves later, Wesley uncharacteristically made an inferior knight capture on e4 giving White more open lines for his pieces. Sensing the imminent danger to his rather unsafe King position, Wesley decided to counter strike at once on White king’s territory via the ambitious 19...Qh4. The chess engine evaluated this move as positionally weak, but it seemed to be the most dynamic way to proceed (the merits and demerits of which are still debatable). Nonetheless, a sharp tactical struggle ensued – with White creating havoc on the queenside while Black was cleverly concocting mating threats on White’s king position.

The exciting factor was the great imbalance generated by either side’s unsafe king position. One or two slips committed by either side could spell disaster. Under severe time pressure, Wei Yi crumbled and made a couple of weak moves that allowed Wesley to tactically simplify the play into an endgame in which our boy had the quality up (rook against bishop). Finally, White’s pawns started to fall like ripe apples paving the way for the Chinese’ surrender of the Spratly’s... :D

Good luck, once again, for the remaining games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:56 am 
Heavyweight

R7 : 20 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Giri, Anish(2752) :

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25080 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660, 1661, 1662 ... 1672  Next