Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:05 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1658, 1659, 1660, 1661, 1662, 1663, 1664 ... 1681  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 am 
Lightweight

Even if he lost, Wes had a great end game experience here, and with Magnus at that. The length of the game, 70 moves, further enchanced that experience. Two best things that enhance learning is motivation and frustration. I think he underestimated or forgot the strength of connected pawns on both sides of the board vs the bishop (in his calculations, dehydration?) and missed some variations that would separate Carlsens connected pawns like a4, which doubles the queen side pawn of Carlsen. One can even sacrifice a pawn just to separate a strong connected ones.

This is a good preparation though for the Candidates. Better lose in Tata Steel get further experience, and win in the Candidates Matches than win Tata Steel and lose in the Candidates later. As I said, frustration will further enhanced learning curve in the endgame.

Some notes for Wesley, hope he read this: I noticed that Magnus was taking mineral water while Wesley was not drinking anything. Chess games at this level will cause dehydration for as much as 20%, and it would be wise to hydrate the brain. This could be the difference between a blunder or a missed calculation. Just like in the NBA, when players are dehydrated at crunch time, you see frequent stupid turnovers, even injuries.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am 
Heavyweight

Olats... :( :( :(

Bawi next time Wes... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:27 am 
Heavyweight

hendrix009 wrote:
Even if he lost, Wes had a great end game experience here, and with Magnus at that. The length of the game, 70 moves, further enchanced that experience. Two best things that enhance learning is motivation and frustration. I think he underestimated or forgot the strength of connected pawns on both sides of the board vs the bishop (in his calculations, dehydration?) and missed some variations that would separate Carlsens connected pawns like a4, which doubles the queen side pawn of Carlsen. One can even sacrifice a pawn just to separate a strong connected ones.

This is a good preparation though for the Candidates. Better lose in Tata Steel get further experience, and win in the Candidates Matches than win Tata Steel and lose in the Candidates later. As I said, frustration will further enhanced learning curve in the endgame.

Some notes for Wesley, hope he read this: I noticed that Magnus was taking mineral water while Wesley was not drinking anything. Chess games at this level will cause dehydration for as much as 20%, and it would be wise to hydrate the brain. This could be the difference between a blunder or a missed calculation. Just like in the NBA, when players are dehydrated at crunch time, you see frequent stupid turnovers, even injuries.

I agree with the dringking water suggestion. here is one benefit of dringking water 1. Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue
Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 am 
Lightweight

here's another surprise benefit: when your brain is a bit dehydrated it affects your intuition, endgame is difficult to calculate and requires more intuition or right brain thinking to move faster especially during time pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:24 pm 
Cruiserweight

hendrix009 wrote:

OK then I will sponsor one liter of bottled water for Wesley every time he competes! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:25 pm 
Featherweight

This loss of Wesley will be charged to experience again. I remember a time when Wesley lost several times to Giri, Caruana, Nakamura, Anand and Kramnik. It seems back then that he had difficulty beating the elite. But now he defeated them all and was able to become world no. 2 for several months. Beating Carlsen will be the ultimate goal of Wesley's continuous progress in chess. If you noticed, every defeat just fuels this kid to improve more and more. It's just a matter of time. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:06 am 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
R11 : 26 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Jones, Gawain(2640) : 1-0 : +3 : 2796.1

https://chessaccount.com/live-ratings-phi/wesley-so-live-ratings/

The Lord has shown you what is good.
He has told you what he requires of you.
You must act with justice.
You must love to show mercy.
And you must be humble as you live in the sight of your God.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 am 
Middleweight

The 11th-round encounter with Gawain Jones was a fine effort by Wesley who showed some endgame finesse in converting his quality advantage into a win. Even in the opening phase, our boy was already ahead as Jones inexplicably made a weak 10th move (10...b6). From that point on, Wesley never relinquished his advantage and he eventually came off being quality up in the ensuing exchanges.

By a couple of tactics, the game quickly transitioned into its final phase in which Wesley had his rook and four pawns against Black’s knight and five pawns. Ultimately, Jones further committed some weak moves, thus allowing Wesley to quickly pounce on his opponent’s mistakes. The final moves were executed with a gentle touch of some tactics.

Good luck for the remaining two rounds... :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:25 pm 
Cruiserweight

with 2 rounds left to play, wes is 1 full point behind the leaders (anish, magnus and mamedyarov. he is half point behind anand, whom he will be playing in the 12 round. anish has a very good chance to win the championship as his last 2 round are a bit light in adhiban and wei. magnus will have to contend with karjakin in the last round while mamedyarov will face anand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:11 am 
Middleweight

The penultimate round encounter with Anand ended in a draw, thus dashing all hopes of Wesley defending his title (or, at most, tying for first) in this tournament. Moreover, both Giri and Carlsen won their respective matches, placing them a point and a half ahead of Wesley in the current standings.

Wesley, playing the Black pieces, opted for the Open Ruy Lopez. It was evident that he was quite on familiar grounds with his preferred line of play as he moved fast and consumed relatively short time on his clock. In contrast, Anand spent more time in the transition stage from opening to middle game – and indeed at the final move of their encounter, Anand had only about 37 min. left on his clock as opposed to Wesley’s 1 hour and 24 min.

Despite his seeming familiarity with the chosen line of play, Wesley could not make any headway against Anand’s precise judgment of the positional transformations. When the smoke cleared after a series of simplifying exchanges, the final position reduced to that of an opposite-colored bishops ending with equal number of pawns from both sides. Draw was therefore agreed.

More power on the last remaining game. Hope Wesley can give that Chinese gal, Hou Yifan, a l!cking (with pun intended) in the final round. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:40 am 
Heavyweight

R12 : 27 Jan : GM Anand, Viswanathan(2767) –  GM So, Wesley (2792) : ½-½ : -0.3 : 2795.8

Last/Final Round
R13 : 28 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Hou, Yifan(2680) :

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:58 pm 
Heavyweight

R13 : 28 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Hou, Yifan(2680) : 1-0 : +3.5 : 2799.3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:11 am 
Middleweight

Indeed Wesley gave Hou Yifan a l i cking in their final round encounter today.

Playing White, Wesley was thoroughly aggressive in his approach – perhaps no longer bothered by any thoughts of him keeping pace with the tournament leaders. He intimated his bold intentions when he deliberately allowed his kingside position to be opened up early, thus providing in the process more open space for his pieces in the eventual assault on Black’s castled king.

With both sides castling on opposite wings, White’s attack just flowed out naturally. Theory tells us that tactics pretty much abound in such kind of positions. Be that as it may, Wesley came up with some combinative play by which Hou Yifan appeared to have lost a piece after she made a couple of weak replies. In the end, however, Wesley was only quality up (his two rooks against Black’s rook and knight) but had a far superior position due to the nature of his pawn configuration – a decisive advantage that forced the Chinese lady to shake hands with our boy.

Another surrender of the Spratly’s... :D

Anyhow, it was still a good performance by Wesley in this tournament. Whether or not he’s hiding some theoretical preparations for the Candidates, he is certainly learning from his mistakes. That’s our consolation.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 am 
Heavyweight

joeyj wrote:
R13 : 28 Jan : GM So, Wesley (2792) - GM Hou, Yifan(2680) : 1-0 : +3.5 : 2799.3

Congratz Wesley So... :) :D :beer:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:29 am 
Heavyweight

TheEnigma wrote:
Indeed Wesley gave Hou Yifan a l i cking in their final round encounter today.

Playing White, Wesley was thoroughly aggressive in his approach – perhaps no longer bothered by any thoughts of him keeping pace with the tournament leaders. He intimated his bold intentions when he deliberately allowed his kingside position to be opened up early, thus providing in the process more open space for his pieces in the eventual assault on Black’s castled king.

With both sides castling on opposite wings, White’s attack just flowed out naturally. Theory tells us that tactics pretty much abound in such kind of positions. Be that as it may, Wesley came up with some combinative play by which Hou Yifan appeared to have lost a piece after she made a couple of weak replies. In the end, however, Wesley was only quality up (his two rooks against Black’s rook and knight) but had a far superior position due to the nature of his pawn configuration – a decisive advantage that forced the Chinese lady to shake hands with our boy.

Another surrender of the Spratly’s... :D

Anyhow, it was still a good performance by Wesley in this tournament. Whether or not he’s hiding some theoretical preparations for the Candidates, he is certainly learning from his mistakes. That’s our consolation.

Good luck.

Great analysis bro, Good job and congratz to our Wesley So for successfully "l!cking" (pun intended) his opponent in the final round... 8) :) :lol: :beer:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1658, 1659, 1660, 1661, 1662, 1663, 1664 ... 1681  Next