Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:28 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1663, 1664, 1665, 1666, 1667, 1668, 1669 ... 1680  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:18 am
Posts: 28436
Location: JARO,Iloilo
So playing Black play for draw , nice move

to regain his composure , still a long way to go

_________________
Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others He who envies others does not achieve peace. - Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 am 
Offline
Middleweight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 515
Location: Sa daigdig ng inyong panaginip
wowieboy wrote:
Hey, those who criticize Wesley about his faith are just clearly expressing themselves. If Wesley & his God-believing minions can attribute his success & wins to God then what's stopping them to think that he is losing because God simply wants it & has some plans for him?

If you don't want your religion to be scrutinized or be subjected to criticisms then don't flaunt it. As simple as it is.

"Those who don't believe in God will have a tough time relying on themselves when the tough times come" - Tell that to the victims of the Holocaust who only had their faith left on them & for being the so-called "chosen" ones & yet suffered horrendously during Word War II.

chess2020 wrote:
In this day and age, there are those who will ridicule you for your faith in God. Those who don't believe in God will have a tough time relying on themselves when the tough times come. This contempt for Wesley because of his faith is not new. He already experienced this prior to his successes in 2016. His success in 2016-2017 has silenced his critics for a while. Now that he is struggling, they are back shouting at the roof tops. Time will tell how things will work out for Wesley in this tournament even though he already lost two in a row. Win or lose, Wesley's faith will carry him through.

This is a long tournament and this is Wesley's first Candidates tournament. Remember that many of these grandmasters have been trying to win the Candidates for several years now. Qualifying in the Candidates is already a major achievement for Wesley. He is still young and I believe he is just starting to adjust psychologically and emotionally at the top levels of chess. Wesley will come back strong in the next few years.

DOES GOD EXIST?

I have read from somewhere that atheists deny the existence of God for moral reasons, not for philosophical reasons. They usually employ “moral arguments” to deny the existence of God.

Although God’s existence is not self-evident, it can be demonstrated logically. This means that God’s existence is not known immediately, but one can reason to the conclusion that God exists (take as example, Thomas Aquinas’ “5 ways” for demonstrating the existence of God). In this sense, however, philosophy only asks whether God exists. It cannot answer questions such as “Who is God and what is his plan for me?” (That is the realm of theology).

As it is said, the atheist is not a logical man because he refuses to acknowledge what is demonstrable. Usually, atheists or heretics are what they are because of scandal and moral scruples, not because of logical failures.

When you consider atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, their strongest arguments are “moral arguments” against the existence of God. Why are children sold through human trafficking for prostitution? Why does God allow hurricanes to destroy the innocent? Why do babies die? In reality, these are not arguments about God’s existence, but rather arguments about the goodness of God. The atheist first creates scandal regarding God’s goodness, and then rejects Him.

This atheistic attack requires a theological answer that includes a doctrine of free will, original sin, and divine providence. However, at the end of the day, there is not a sound philosophical answer to the moral arguments against God. The most compelling response is to cast light on the fact that God Himself entered the world to suffer and die on the cross for the sake of human happiness in eternity. God does not reign like a Turkish Sultan over sin, evil, and death. Rather, God reigns from the cross as a Suffering Servant.

(based on notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)


Back to topic...

Wesley may have had a slow start, but this is a double round-robin tournament. Yes, it’s still a long way to go, and our boy may very well find his true form in the subsequent rounds. That’s our hope and our prayer. :)

_________________
Let my thoughts come to you, when I am gone, like the afterglow of sunset at the margin of starry silence. -- Rabindranath Tagore


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:14 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 44657
Location: Philippines
TheEnigma wrote:
DOES GOD EXIST?

I have read from somewhere that atheists deny the existence of God for moral reasons, not for philosophical reasons. They usually employ “moral arguments” to deny the existence of God.

Although God’s existence is not self-evident, it can be demonstrated logically. This means that God’s existence is not known immediately, but one can reason to the conclusion that God exists (take as example, Thomas Aquinas’ “5 ways” for demonstrating the existence of God). In this sense, however, philosophy only asks whether God exists. It cannot answer questions such as “Who is God and what is his plan for me?” (That is the realm of theology).

As it is said, the atheist is not a logical man because he refuses to acknowledge what is demonstrable. Usually, atheists or heretics are what they are because of scandal and moral scruples, not because of logical failures.

When you consider atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, their strongest arguments are “moral arguments” against the existence of God. Why are children sold through human trafficking for prostitution? Why does God allow hurricanes to destroy the innocent? Why do babies die? In reality, these are not arguments about God’s existence, but rather arguments about the goodness of God. The atheist first creates scandal regarding God’s goodness, and then rejects Him.

This atheistic attack requires a theological answer that includes a doctrine of free will, original sin, and divine providence. However, at the end of the day, there is not a sound philosophical answer to the moral arguments against God. The most compelling response is to cast light on the fact that God Himself entered the world to suffer and die on the cross for the sake of human happiness in eternity. God does not reign like a Turkish Sultan over sin, evil, and death. Rather, God reigns from the cross as a Suffering Servant.

(based on notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)


Back to topic...

Wesley may have had a slow start, but this is a double round-robin tournament. Yes, it’s still a long way to go, and our boy may very well find his true form in the subsequent rounds. That’s our hope and our prayer. :)


Same here, hoping and praying that Wes will find his true form in the subsequent rounds... :angel: :angel: :angel:

_________________
- It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
- Finding good players is easy. Getting them to play as a team is another story.
- Defense wins games. Excellent defense wins championships.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 am 
Offline
Cruiserweight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:41 am
Posts: 2329
Location: Pinas kong mahal
TheEnigma wrote:
wowieboy wrote:
Hey, those who criticize Wesley about his faith are just clearly expressing themselves. If Wesley & his God-believing minions can attribute his success & wins to God then what's stopping them to think that he is losing because God simply wants it & has some plans for him?

If you don't want your religion to be scrutinized or be subjected to criticisms then don't flaunt it. As simple as it is.

"Those who don't believe in God will have a tough time relying on themselves when the tough times come" - Tell that to the victims of the Holocaust who only had their faith left on them & for being the so-called "chosen" ones & yet suffered horrendously during Word War II.

chess2020 wrote:
In this day and age, there are those who will ridicule you for your faith in God. Those who don't believe in God will have a tough time relying on themselves when the tough times come. This contempt for Wesley because of his faith is not new. He already experienced this prior to his successes in 2016. His success in 2016-2017 has silenced his critics for a while. Now that he is struggling, they are back shouting at the roof tops. Time will tell how things will work out for Wesley in this tournament even though he already lost two in a row. Win or lose, Wesley's faith will carry him through.

This is a long tournament and this is Wesley's first Candidates tournament. Remember that many of these grandmasters have been trying to win the Candidates for several years now. Qualifying in the Candidates is already a major achievement for Wesley. He is still young and I believe he is just starting to adjust psychologically and emotionally at the top levels of chess. Wesley will come back strong in the next few years.

DOES GOD EXIST?

I have read from somewhere that atheists deny the existence of God for moral reasons, not for philosophical reasons. They usually employ “moral arguments” to deny the existence of God.

Although God’s existence is not self-evident, it can be demonstrated logically. This means that God’s existence is not known immediately, but one can reason to the conclusion that God exists (take as example, Thomas Aquinas’ “5 ways” for demonstrating the existence of God). In this sense, however, philosophy only asks whether God exists. It cannot answer questions such as “Who is God and what is his plan for me?” (That is the realm of theology).

As it is said, the atheist is not a logical man because he refuses to acknowledge what is demonstrable. Usually, atheists or heretics are what they are because of scandal and moral scruples, not because of logical failures.

When you consider atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, their strongest arguments are “moral arguments” against the existence of God. Why are children sold through human trafficking for prostitution? Why does God allow hurricanes to destroy the innocent? Why do babies die? In reality, these are not arguments about God’s existence, but rather arguments about the goodness of God. The atheist first creates scandal regarding God’s goodness, and then rejects Him.

This atheistic attack requires a theological answer that includes a doctrine of free will, original sin, and divine providence. However, at the end of the day, there is not a sound philosophical answer to the moral arguments against God. The most compelling response is to cast light on the fact that God Himself entered the world to suffer and die on the cross for the sake of human happiness in eternity. God does not reign like a Turkish Sultan over sin, evil, and death. Rather, God reigns from the cross as a Suffering Servant.

(based on notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)


Back to topic...

Wesley may have had a slow start, but this is a double round-robin tournament. Yes, it’s still a long way to go, and our boy may very well find his true form in the subsequent rounds. That’s our hope and our prayer. :)


Nice read bro! :)

_________________
noypinga[i][/i]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline
Cruiserweight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:41 am
Posts: 2329
Location: Pinas kong mahal
Good luck Wesley! Beat them all ! ! ! !

_________________
noypinga[i][/i]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:47 pm
Posts: 10057
TheEnigma wrote:

DOES GOD EXIST?

I have read from somewhere that atheists deny the existence of God for moral reasons, not for philosophical reasons. They usually employ “moral arguments” to deny the existence of God.

Although God’s existence is not self-evident, it can be demonstrated logically. This means that God’s existence is not known immediately, but one can reason to the conclusion that God exists (take as example, Thomas Aquinas’ “5 ways” for demonstrating the existence of God). In this sense, however, philosophy only asks whether God exists. It cannot answer questions such as “Who is God and what is his plan for me?” (That is the realm of theology).

As it is said, the atheist is not a logical man because he refuses to acknowledge what is demonstrable. Usually, atheists or heretics are what they are because of scandal and moral scruples, not because of logical failures.

When you consider atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, their strongest arguments are “moral arguments” against the existence of God. Why are children sold through human trafficking for prostitution? Why does God allow hurricanes to destroy the innocent? Why do babies die? In reality, these are not arguments about God’s existence, but rather arguments about the goodness of God. The atheist first creates scandal regarding God’s goodness, and then rejects Him.

This atheistic attack requires a theological answer that includes a doctrine of free will, original sin, and divine providence. However, at the end of the day, there is not a sound philosophical answer to the moral arguments against God. The most compelling response is to cast light on the fact that God Himself entered the world to suffer and die on the cross for the sake of human happiness in eternity. God does not reign like a Turkish Sultan over sin, evil, and death. Rather, God reigns from the cross as a Suffering Servant.

(based on notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)


`` a wonderful world of magic and imaginations..'

:smoke: '''

_________________
,
"...Lets do it to them before they do it to us..." Sgt. Stan Jablonski, Hill Street Precinct


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:48 pm 
Offline
Featherweight

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 pm
Posts: 53
@TheEnigma,

Thanks for that reply. I was actually trying to find a reply to his post but decided not to pursue it since it is out of topic. I noticed he was affected by what I posted and decided to leave it at that.

Reading your post, you are spot on. His first argument against the existence of God is indeed a moral issue. If one is not used to debating against an atheist, it would be quite challenging if one is not prepared beforehand.

Now back to topic, a draw is good for Wesley, especially with black and against one of the formidable players like Mamedyarov. Other players are not invincible, they are taking losses now like Kramnik, Aronian and Karjakin. This is a long tournament and I also think Wesley can still find his bearings as the tournament grinds on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:10 pm 
Offline
Light Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:20 pm
Posts: 1112
Location: In exile
zorro05 wrote:
TheEnigma wrote:

DOES GOD EXIST?

I have read from somewhere that atheists deny the existence of God for moral reasons, not for philosophical reasons. They usually employ “moral arguments” to deny the existence of God.

Although God’s existence is not self-evident, it can be demonstrated logically. This means that God’s existence is not known immediately, but one can reason to the conclusion that God exists (take as example, Thomas Aquinas’ “5 ways” for demonstrating the existence of God). In this sense, however, philosophy only asks whether God exists. It cannot answer questions such as “Who is God and what is his plan for me?” (That is the realm of theology).

As it is said, the atheist is not a logical man because he refuses to acknowledge what is demonstrable. Usually, atheists or heretics are what they are because of scandal and moral scruples, not because of logical failures.

When you consider atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, their strongest arguments are “moral arguments” against the existence of God. Why are children sold through human trafficking for prostitution? Why does God allow hurricanes to destroy the innocent? Why do babies die? In reality, these are not arguments about God’s existence, but rather arguments about the goodness of God. The atheist first creates scandal regarding God’s goodness, and then rejects Him.

This atheistic attack requires a theological answer that includes a doctrine of free will, original sin, and divine providence. However, at the end of the day, there is not a sound philosophical answer to the moral arguments against God. The most compelling response is to cast light on the fact that God Himself entered the world to suffer and die on the cross for the sake of human happiness in eternity. God does not reign like a Turkish Sultan over sin, evil, and death. Rather, God reigns from the cross as a Suffering Servant.

(based on notes from Dr. T. R. Marshall’s “A Layman’s Quick Guide to Thomism”)


`` a wonderful world of magic and imaginations..'

:smoke: '''


Atheists and those (like gays, etc) who deny the existence of God to justify their perversions will continue to question God's wisdom in allowing 'immorality' and catastrophes to happen. But if you have read and understood the Bible, you would understand why these things happen. For the sake of those who seek the light, let me explain succinctly why this is so.

Due to Lucifer, or Satan's rebellion against God questioning His authority and power and declaring that he 'will be like the Most High' and take all or most of humanity to his side, there is now what we call the 'great controversy', that is, a battle between God and Satan, good and evil, to take as many converts as they can to their side until the end. God allows Satan to tempt humans, although it is said that God would intervene if the temptation is too strong for us to resist. But God knows that we are too weak against temptation, which is why Jesus taught us to pray to 'lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil'. But why does God allow evil to exist and continue to wreak havoc upon us? The answer is found between the lines above. Before Jesus was born, God the Father immediately sentences humans to death once they transgressed any of the 10 Commandments. But killing bad people at once would give Satan the upper hand in their battle because humans generally commits sin and it is written that 'all have sinned and come short of the glory of God'. Should God kill bad people at once, those killed would be added to Satan's score. Since God the Father does not change and His commandments cannot be retracted, the only hope of humanity for redemption is for God to have an 'heir' and let this Heir decide on our fate. So the 'Word was made flesh' in the person of Jesus who died for our sins and gave us the chance to repent until the day we die. In Jesus' reign, sinners are not executed immediately but given the chance to repent. 'For there is great joy in heaven for every sinner who repents'. Each repentant sinner is a point for God and the more sinners who repent until the last day, the more Satan will be defeated in their battle. Jesus also taught us how to offset the curse of the 10 Commandments and that is to 'love one another' and to 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

What then would be the consolation of those who experienced human brutality like human trafficking or molestation? The answer is in the same prayer Jesus had taught us. 'Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us'. If we forgive those who sinned against us, we can expect God to forgive our sins in return (refer to the Parable of the Master and his servant). If the child molester. for example, had been caught and while waiting to be executed, repented and asked for the victim's forgiveness and had been forgiven, the victim can expect God to also forgive her sins now and in the future as long as these had not been committed intentionally. She can pray to God to forgive her sins because she had also forgiven the person who had molested her.

As for Wesley's chess, it is written that 'faith without work is dead'. He must work or train hard and have faith that his training would be enough to win championships. But winning is not everything in this world. You can still project the image of God by being a good sport even when losing, and to keep your strong faith in times of adversity and failure.

_________________
In a land of geniuses, an average person is looked down as an id**t;
in a land of idiots, a genius is looked down as a fool.

Success is measured not by what you have achieved,
but by the degree of satisfaction you derive from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:47 pm
Posts: 10057
Quote:
Atheists and those (like gays, etc) who deny the existence of God to justify their perversions will continue to question God's wisdom in allowing 'immorality' and catastrophes to happen. But if you have read and understood the Bible, you would understand why these things happen. For the sake of those who seek the light, let me explain succinctly why this is so.

` Is this how you equate, see.., those who are non-religious or in atheism like gay people
who, you say, does 'immoral thing' and does not believe in god/s or supernatural beings ?

Keep your morality to yourself and let others - whoever or whatever they are..,
chose what to believe or not.

I opted to forego on your 'biblical ' example as its self-serving.

:smoke:'''

btw - MCarlsen doe not believe his chess 'gifts' came from 'god'...

_________________
,
"...Lets do it to them before they do it to us..." Sgt. Stan Jablonski, Hill Street Precinct


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 44657
Location: Philippines
Draw again for Wes... Hope he can get a win or more in the remaining rounds... :) :D :angel:

_________________
- It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
- Finding good players is easy. Getting them to play as a team is another story.
- Defense wins games. Excellent defense wins championships.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:00 pm
Posts: 4166
Hope your "boys" know that you are rooting for them ;)

Goodluck GM Wesley So. Laban lang :-P

DTruthshallmakeufree wrote:
I see that your boy, So, is down at the Candidates tournament so far but don't worry I am not somebody who kicks a guy when he is down. In fact I hope he can bounce back and at least make a credible showing. I also believe in God and don't like atheists when they mock God or believers. I do agree with the assessment that So lacks mental toughness and a killer's instinct like my boy, Magnus Carlsen! He also should always have a second, especially in tough tournaments like this. Wisdom dictates that.
My boys in this tournament are Caruana/ Aronian and hope that one of them make it!
But whoever it is, MY FAVORITE BOY, CARLSEN, will demolish during the championship. Any criticism of him or me will just bounce off us like a rubber on a steel for we both have mental toughness!!

_________________
Hay itanom mo, ya hidiye'y aniyom. (Trans: What you plant, is what you will reap.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 pm 
Offline
Light Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:20 pm
Posts: 1112
Location: In exile
zorro05 wrote:
Quote:
Atheists and those (like gays, etc) who deny the existence of God to justify their perversions will continue to question God's wisdom in allowing 'immorality' and catastrophes to happen. But if you have read and understood the Bible, you would understand why these things happen. For the sake of those who seek the light, let me explain succinctly why this is so.

` Is this how you equate, see.., those who are non-religious or in atheism like gay people
who, you say, does 'immoral thing' and does not believe in god/s or supernatural beings ?

Keep your morality to yourself and let others - whoever or whatever they are..,
chose what to believe or not.

I opted to forego on your 'biblical ' example as its self-serving.

:smoke:'''

btw - MCarlsen doe not believe his chess 'gifts' came from 'god'...


Let me ask you. Are gays humans? If you answer yes, then they are the same like us straight people who do immoral things. If you are straight, it does not follow that you are not immoral. People, no matter what their genders are, do immoral things. But when I do immoral things or perversions, I admit my immorality and perversions and do not justify them. I feel ashamed of my perversions and immorality and ask God's forgiveness. But if you don't believe in God or deny His existence, you won't feel remorse for your perversions, and in fact, most gays are proud of what they do. I am not judging all gays but only those whom I had the opportunity to discuss things about morality and perversions and most of them deny God's existence, hence, my statement above. I am not telling people here that I am righteous but that I acknowledge my own immorality and perversions and am ashamed of them.

This is a forum where we make our own opinions about issues known. Why not keep your own opinion top yourself if you don't like to have a lively discussion of opinions? Onion-skinned, perhaps? Self-serving opinion? What a shallow conclusion. Self-serving is true only when I gain something from what I wrote. But I believe I could strengthen the faith of other Christians and even non-Christians if we listen to each other's opinions and exhort each other.

So what if Carlsen does not believe in God? That's his personal choice and belief. Wesley and others like me here choose to believe in God and we are not imposing our morality to others but simply making our opinions and beliefs known. If that is bad for you, you should not participate in fora like this.

_________________
In a land of geniuses, an average person is looked down as an id**t;
in a land of idiots, a genius is looked down as a fool.

Success is measured not by what you have achieved,
but by the degree of satisfaction you derive from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm 
Offline
Welterweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Posts: 254
Let's focus on chess please :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:52 am 
Offline
Heavyweight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:18 am
Posts: 28436
Location: JARO,Iloilo
Image

Look like Wesley So is back in form :)

_________________
Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others He who envies others does not achieve peace. - Buddha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 am 
Offline
Strawweight

Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 5
Round 6:

Wesley win vs Aronian

Good win, still long way to go, there's still chance for Wes to be on top.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1663, 1664, 1665, 1666, 1667, 1668, 1669 ... 1680  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

philboxing.com | pinoygreats.com
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group