Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Basic Chess Strategy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:32 pm 
Middleweight

ghiaddze wrote:
Cordille wrote:
jpdb_21 wrote:
is there 2 moves mate?

yes, there is.

1. f4 e6
2. g4 Qh4#

alam ko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:50 am 
Strawweight

dencioPT101 wrote:
hey guys,

whenever you are playing the black pieces and the opponent offers a king or queen's gambit, do you accept or decline it? and why?

I decline it. I prefer Queen's Gambit Declined. But accepting it is not bad, it will lead to Queen's Gambit Accepted. This defense is one of Anand's favorite.

1. d4 d5
2. c4 dxc4 This is the queen's gambit accepted.
3. e3 3. e4 is an alternative which give white a large center. But black can challenge it with 3...e5. It's a mistake to
try to win the e5 pawn with 4. dxe5 Qxd1+ 5. Kxd1 Nc6. Black gets a good position. After 4. Nf3 exd4 5. Nxd4 Nf6. Black gets an even game.
3.... Nf6
4. Bxc4 e6
5. Nf3 c5
6. 0-0

This is a common position in QGA. White has a lead in development, which gives him an advantage. Black aims to equalize by trading pawns on d4. QGA is excellent defense for those who like to counter attack.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 am 
Strawweight

ospelayo wrote:
nice thread.

my biggest problem is how to handle pressure. everything i learned went to the bin when during the ncraa, i was beaten by a freshman... 8)

though, i haven't tried nose-picking...

When you are under pressure. Take a few deep breath. It will help relax you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:49 am 
Light Heavyweight

The key to getting good at chess is to study endgames, positional play and tactics, and of course play a lot. Chess is great, if one will learn these things, he/she will appreciate chess more and improve his/her play as well.

Why do we need to study tactics?

At below master level the common reason for defeats are blunders. Sample of these blunders are losing your piece without getting something in return, or you did not notice you will be mated in a few moves, but you failed to see the right defensive moves. Often at below master level players fails to recognize opportunity to gain material advantage or mate by tactical means .Studying tactics helps lessen your blunder and improves your tactical skills. Sample of chess tactics are pin, fork and skewer.

http://www.usefulchess.com/tactics/forkpin.htm
http://chess.about.com/od/tipsforbeginn ... tes_10.htm
http://www.chesstempo.com

Why do we need to study positional play?

Often times at below master level, player does not know what to do on a given position. If you study the positional features of chess, you will have a guide on what to do in many situations. Sample of this positional concept is a bad bishop. A bad bishop is a bishop that lacks mobility. Below is sample of how rooks can be effetive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_file

Why do we need to study endgame?

Endgame is period in chess in which you can now bring out your king, because it is already safe from threats. It is no use if you have a rook and king against a lone king, if you don't know how to mate with it. Or it is no use if you have an extra pawn (and the position is winning) if you can't convert it to a win. Improving endgame skills is very important in chess. At below master level many positions that should be a win turned into a draw or defeat because of poor endgame skills.

http://www.usefulchess.com/tactics/basicmates.htm

Now where would you learn these chess concepts? You can learn it from books, online tutorials or a chess coach, I prefer books. Remember playing a lot is not enough to improve, you must also study chess. If you want to practice want you learned from books, you can try registering at chess.com. It's better to play human than computers, also chess improvement takes time..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:27 am 
Cruiserweight

One thing that I learned to improve play significantly (I'm only an 1800 player btw :D )

1. Never play against a strong Computer program, use it ONLY for analysis (ie Human vs Human play)...a Free chess program these days on a dual core could possess an astounding 3100 ELO (that's 300 elo stronger than Magnus Carlsen!).. Playing and consistently losing against a computer program would only induce and aggravate frustration .. Although you can always set it to "Handicap Strenght", there's just no substitute to human moves and you enjoy playing against a human opponent more

2. Play lots of Blitz matches online, 3 Minutes would be ideal, it's a common knowledge amongst Chess players that blitz games always improve and drive a player's ability to look for tactics and skirmishes

3. Read lots of books, concetrate on the principles and the ideas behind Chess openings, tactics and strategies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 am 
Heavyweight

I don't read Chess books but I can beat a YaY program upto 1900 rating. Some times I reach 1900+ in Yahoo Chess where all the players are Programs. LOL! I play 1 or 2 minutes against a program I don't play much of 5 minutes it's boring.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:40 am 
Heavyweight

If I play chess tournament I could be 2200+ I think but I never join tournaments I play chess Yahoo online. I bust programs and happy with it. LOL!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 am 
Heavyweight

reading chess book is good but playing as many games as possible is still the best teacher especially if you are against good players of the game.

it you can't have someone to play against they are a lot of computer games/programs out there to choose from. you can even play online via sites like chess.com! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:29 am 
Light Heavyweight

@Beerhuaz
It's been many years since I created this thread,hehehe, it seems from these years, you made significant improvement as a chess player. I agree with all your points, except the blitz part. Blitz develop pattern recognition and focus, but it does not help much on long calculation training because in blitz you don't calculate long many variation that often. If a player is just a novice he/she should concentrate on long games, he can play blitz but only few, if a novice play lots of blitz, he/she will develop bad habits, because a novice does not have yet deep bank of good chess patterns.

@dencioPT101, Yea you also need to play a lot to improve, but you also need to read books, studying and playing are important in chess development,both are important..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 am 
Cruiserweight

ryan_c wrote:
@Beerhuaz
It's been many years since I created this thread,hehehe, it seems from these years, you made significant improvement as a chess player. I agree with all your points, except the blitz part. Blitz develop pattern recognition and focus, but it does not help much on long calculation training because in blitz you don't calculate long many variation that often. If a player is just a novice he/she should concentrate on long games, he can play blitz but only few, if a novice play lots of blitz, he/she will develop bad habits, because a novice does not have yet deep bank of good chess patterns.

But Chess is 99 percent tactics, if you have made 10 good 'strategic' moves it can all be ruined by a single tactical blow, having said that, strategy will soon follow once you are familiar with the basics of tactical chess

I'm an old dog, been playing chess for nearly 25 years and I could barely improve, I guess Chess doesn't run in me, the only motivation that I get from playing Chess is the sheer excitement it brings be it winning or losing

My uncle is way worse, he's in his 60's now and has loved chess since puberty, he owns a library of chess books and guess what, my 14-year old niece is constantly shredding him to bits everytime they play together. Chess is, much like Math, if you have it in you, you should never cease to improve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:05 am 
Featherweight

I want to share to everyone how I improve on my chess game. I started playing chess when I was 10 years old but my chess has always been a mediocre one. In college, I was the laughing stock of my friends who are good in chess and so I decided to improve my chess.

These are the steps I made to improve my chess considerably:

1. I memorize all the openings and choose a few that I am comfortable with.
For white I chose Ruy Lopez as my opening and for black I chose Sicilian defense, Najdorf or dragon( Once you master a certain opening then it is time to move to another opening). Majority of my games are based on this line. As a result I am very familiar with the lines and I can reach the middle game in good position.

2. At this stage, I am always having a good middle game but then crumbles afterwards. So I realized, I lack tactics. To improve on my tactics, I buy a book on chess puzzles. I try solving the puzzles if i can if not then I look at the solution and memorized them. I keep on repeating solving the puzzles that sometimes when I have a game the position will present itself just like in the puzzles.

3. Then I reach a stage wherein I always achieve the end game but sometimes losses or draws a winning position. So to improve on my end game I buy a book about end game positions.

4. After these things that I did, my friends can no longer beat me and so I decided to play chess online and try my openings to online players, as a result it widen more my repertoire of openings.

5. Then lately I won a championship.

...It also helps a lot if you have a chess engine to analyze every official game you had.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 am 
Light Heavyweight

BEERHAUZ wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
@Beerhuaz

But Chess is 99 percent tactics, if you have made 10 good 'strategic' moves it can all be ruined by a single tactical blow, having said that, strategy will soon follow once you are familiar with the basics of tactical chess

I'm an old dog, been playing chess for nearly 25 years and I could barely improve, I guess Chess doesn't run in me, the only motivation that I get from playing Chess is the sheer excitement it brings be it winning or losing

My uncle is way worse, he's in his 60's now and has loved chess since puberty, he owns a library of chess books and guess what, my 14-year old niece is constantly shredding him to bits everytime they play together. Chess is, much like Math, if you have it in you, you should never cease to improve

Tactical ability is important, but I think blitz will not develop much ones tactical ability. Solving chess puzzle is a better way to improve tactics. I am not denying the importance of tactics, but a novice should also study basic things like king and pawn endgames, lucena position,control of center, philidor position, knight vs bishop endgames. Tactical opportunity always arise on good chess positions..

Well yeah as long you enjoy chess, there is no problem. There are really people who no matter what they do they will hit a road block and will not improve that much, but it does not matter as long as you told, you enjoy the excitement of it.

You grandpa is in his 60, it might be his skills also diminished by then.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:01 pm 
Middleweight

tnx, spankwire always catch my attention.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:35 pm 
Middleweight

i learned a lot..Thanks TS Ryan_c.. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:28 pm 
Heavyweight

Ei, TS Where do you play and ano rating mo? Do you have a title, NM, FM, IM or maybe even GM?

Mediocre player here, chesscube ako naglalaro. Maybe you could share some in-game tips.

It takes forever to know everything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next