Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Basic Chess Strategy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:04 pm 
Heavyweight

MITZPUNCHER wrote:
I dont know whats wrong with me. I read chess books, read chess games on the web and even analyze it. Y i cant improve my game? Many ordinary chess players can beat me. Can you help me how to improve my game? I do have lots of patience in fact i sometime play the game in hours.Will u give a hint what to do? What would i do first and what would i need to improve. I love chess game but it seems that the game i love doesnt like me.huh... :(

Ditto, bro. Your questions are the same as mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:33 pm 
Heavyweight

here are my inputs for the game.

Read chess books and get to familiarize with the moves or patterns. the more you got to familiarize, the smaller the chess board becomes. even chess bums in the parks have their own chess books to read and learn, just don't underestimate these guys. you'd be surprised that these people play as good as 1700 and above ELOs. they are smart. Me, on the otherhand, just rely on my personal patterns, which made my chess life you'd difficult rather than easy for me. I only read 1 chess book in my entire life (I think it was "counter offense" or something). that was when I was 11, IIRC and read it for just 30mins and that's it. you'd appreciate the help of what these books can do to improve your game. word of advice, don't be like me.

Black is always disadvantage. remember that you're always behind by 1 move. so make sure once you get the initiative to attack or advance, take it. it's a reversal of roles once you have taken a move's advantage. a single move can predict the outcome of a game and makes the biggest difference in a chess game.

do not rush your moves. study the board carefully.

anyway, I prefer a timed game for 30mins each. this prevents my opponent to put me into a clear disadvantage. the last no timed chess tournament match that I played a decade ago, I forfeited the match eventhough I was at a clear advantage to win. the opponent I was playing then refused to play or move and was thinking for about 15 minutes. that pissed me off and asked for the tourney head if they will disqualify that player. sadly, they said they cant do anything about it since it was a no timed match. I gave my hand in concession to my opponent, packed up my things and went to study since I have an exam in 2 hours. because of that incident, I never played without any timer. :D

I'm now retired from active chess since 2000. so that's a lot of codwebs to clean, if I ever decide to come back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I play chess for fun once in a while, if I'm not busy at work or nothing to do at work. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:39 pm 
Heavyweight

MIC TYSON wrote:
here are my inputs for the game.

Read chess books and get to familiarize with the moves or patterns. the more you got to familiarize, the smaller the chess board becomes. even chess bums in the parks have their own chess books to read and learn, just don't underestimate these guys. you'd be surprised that these people play as good as 1700 and above ELOs. they are smart. Me, on the otherhand, just rely on my personal patterns, which made my chess life you'd difficult rather than easy for me. I only read 1 chess book in my entire life (I think it was "counter offense" or something). that was when I was 11, IIRC and read it for just 30mins and that's it. you'd appreciate the help of what these books can do to improve your game. word of advice, don't be like me.

Black is always disadvantage. remember that you're always behind by 1 move. so make sure once you get the initiative to attack or advance, take it. it's a reversal of roles once you have taken a move's advantage. a single move can predict the outcome of a game and makes the biggest difference in a chess game.

do not rush your moves. study the board carefully.

anyway, I prefer a timed game for 30mins each. this prevents my opponent to put me into a clear disadvantage. the last no timed chess tournament match that I played a decade ago, I forfeited the match eventhough I was at a clear advantage to win. the opponent I was playing then refused to play or move and was thinking for about 15 minutes. that pissed me off and asked for the tourney head if they will disqualify that player. sadly, they said they cant do anything about it since it was a no timed match. I gave my hand in concession to my opponent, packed up my things and went to study since I have an exam in 2 hours. because of that incident, I never played without any timer. :D

I'm now retired from active chess since 2000. so that's a lot of codwebs to clean, if I ever decide to come back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I play chess for fun once in a while, if I'm not busy at work or nothing to do at work. 8)

In chess, TEMPO (gaining the initiative) is the name of the game . . . I think. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:25 pm 
Flyweight

hey let's play with thai chess players. register here: http://www.thaibg.com. go to chess section. hope to see you there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:47 am 
Light Heavyweight

is there also a basic stategy for dama? :D

3.darchilicious

being in the top list means your one of the most irritable and stupidest paclanders right now-larry merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:53 am 
Light Heavyweight

MITZPUNCHER wrote:
I dont know whats wrong with me. I read chess books, read chess games on the web and even analyze it. Y i cant improve my game? Many ordinary chess players can beat me. Can you help me how to improve my game? I do have lots of patience in fact i sometime play the game in hours.Will u give a hint what to do? What would i do first and what would i need to improve. I love chess game but it seems that the game i love doesnt like me.huh... :(

If you don't have a coach that will teach you insights about chess, then reading chess books is necessary to improve your game. But there are good and bad chess books. What is the tittle of the books that you have read? To improve your game in chess you need to learn the basic first, meaning the basic themes in opening, middle game and endgame. Once you are familiar with that, buy books that is above beginners level. These are the books that teaches you strategies about weak squares and pawn structures, etc. If you are not a master yet, never memorize so many opening lines, it's better to study the idea behind chess openings. To improve your calculating abilities try to solve chess puzzles. Don't be discourage by your loses, even great players have lost a hundred time before they become great. The important thing is learn from your defeats.

Here are the books that I suggest you buy.

1.How to Reassess your chess by Jeremy Siliman

Can you name at least 3 "Anti-Knight" techniques? (Masters have given me blank looks on this one!) Do you understand "The Minority Attack?" Do you know Silman's, "3 Rules of [the] Combination?" Do you understand the various strengths and weaknesses of the standard pawn structures? Do you know some of the basic imbalances? Do you know the basic properties of each piece, and how they relate to each other ... and the overall position on the board. This book will teach all of that. This is a great book to have.

2. Yasser Seirawan's Winning chess series

His winning books are great and entertaining, Yasser's book are the one that makes me a better player. In fact his books alone are enough to make you a really good player. It's not necessary to buy another chess books until you mastered the lessons in his book. Once you mastered all the lessons in his book and you are still aspiring to become a really very strong players, then reading more advance book will help your game. Books like "Pawn Structure Chess" by Andrew Soltis, "My System" and "Chess Praxis by Nimzowitsch".

2. Logical Chess, Move-By-Move by Irving Chernev, another great book one of the best out there in teaching the basics of chess.

3. Yasser Seirawan's Winning chess series

His winning books are great and entertaining, Yasser's book are the one that makes me a better player. In fact his books alone are enough to make you a really good player. It's not
necessary to buy another chess books until you mastered the lessons in his book. Once you mastered all the lessons in his book and you are still aspiring to become a really very strong players, then reading more advance book will help your game. Books like "Pawn Structure Chess" by Andrew Soltis, and "My System" by Nimzowitsch" are must have books.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 am 
Light Heavyweight

I have also forgotten to include as a good first chess book is Jeremey Siliman's , "Amateur's Mind"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:50 pm 
Heavyweight

thnx sir ryan_c nice thread..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:01 pm 
Heavyweight

ryan_c wrote:
MITZPUNCHER wrote:

If you don't have a coach that will teach you insights about chess, then reading chess books is necessary to improve your game. But there are good and bad chess books. What is the tittle of the books that you have read? To improve your game in chess you need to learn the basic first, meaning the basic themes in opening, middle game and endgame. Once you are familiar with that, buy books that is above beginners level. These are the books that teaches you strategies about weak squares and pawn structures, etc. If you are not a master yet, never memorize so many opening lines, it's better to study the idea behind chess openings. To improve your calculating abilities try to solve chess puzzles. Don't be discourage by your loses, even great players have lost a hundred time before they become great. The important thing is learn from your defeats.

Can you name at least 3 "Anti-Knight" techniques? (Masters have given me blank looks on this one!) Do you understand "The Minority Attack?" Do you know Silman's, "3 Rules of [the] Combination?" Do you understand the various strengths and weaknesses of the standard pawn structures? Do you know some of the basic imbalances? Do you know the basic properties of each piece, and how they relate to each other ... and the overall position on the board. This book will teach all of that. This is a great book to have.

His winning books are great and entertaining, Yasser's book are the one that makes me a better player. In fact his books alone are enough to make you a really good player. It's not necessary to buy another chess books until you mastered the lessons in his book. Once you mastered all the lessons in his book and you are still aspiring to become a really very strong players, then reading more advance book will help your game. Books like "Pawn Structure Chess" by Andrew Soltis, "My System" and "Chess Praxis by Nimzowitsch".

2. Logical Chess, Move-By-Move by Irving Chernev, another great book one of the best out there in teaching the basics of chess.

His winning books are great and entertaining, Yasser's book are the one that makes me a better player. In fact his books alone are enough to make you a really good player. It's not
necessary to buy another chess books until you mastered the lessons in his book. Once you mastered all the lessons in his book and you are still aspiring to become a really very strong players, then reading more advance book will help your game. Books like "Pawn Structure Chess" by Andrew Soltis, and "My System" by Nimzowitsch" are must have books.

How about Walter Korn's "Modern Chess Openings"? I'm told this is considered as "The Chess Players' Bible."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 am 
Light Heavyweight

new town wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
MITZPUNCHER wrote:

How about Walter Korn's "Modern Chess Openings"? I'm told this is considered as "The Chess Players' Bible."

I don't know that book, but it seems that book tackles about opening variations, if many likes that book then it must be a good book. The problem is such book will only help a master and not an average player who is just starting to learn chess, it's better for an average player to learn the ideas behind chess openings than to memorize opening chess variations. An average player will benefit more studying positional and tactical themes in chess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 am 
Middleweight

....my two cents of suggestion, memorize openings,king's pawn games and queen pawn games, since there are too many openings ....if you are white determine if you are a king pawn player or a queen pawn player and start from there. example, if you are a king pawn player when white, then study the king pawn replies, petroff,ruy lopez, sicilian , pirc,modern defense, 4 knights etc...since there are too many variations choose the line best suited for you and take notes on the novel moves to a certain variation. play against yourself and study the pawn structure in the ending. It should give you a good idea where to move your king and which pawn to advance. Replaying it will make you master your favorite variation since you cannot study all unless you do nothing but play chess (then you can study all). You have no choice when white but study the basic replies. If you don't , chances are you will get cramped against an average opponent.

when black concentrate on one reply for instance sicilian defense and play this persistently win or lose. go home and review your losses, find the move which caused the change in position or balance. find out what should have been the best move and replay.

if your opponent as white plays the queen pawn game, choose just one defense suitable for you... for example king's Indian defense and do the same play it persistently win or lose but study your losses home. It won't be long that you get familiar with the variations and this will allow you to play blitz.

then you can move on to the next defense to study the next defense doing the same process. there is no problem in losing games as all great masters lost a thousand games since the time they started but it is from these losses and post analysis that made them find the novelty move & win.... when playing avoid the blitz syndrome of wanting to punch the clock even if there is no necessity and lose a game with so much time left. if you can't control it, then avoid blitz games first until you can control the urge to punch the clock without thinking. it is better to lose in a strategic game than an oversight or blunder because of the urge to punch the clock fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:24 am 
Light Heavyweight

here is another one

Piece Placement

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:42 am 
Light Heavyweight

Here are some great attacking games of grandmaster, notice how these GM coordinated their pieces beautifully in their attacks, also the sacrifices and combinations are all amazing!! Predicting the moves of the grandmasters in these game is a great way to improve your calculation and pattern recognition.

Bagirov vs Gufeld
Anderssen vs Kieseritsky
Byrne vs Fischer
Kasparov vs Topalov

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:54 am 
Light Heavyweight

Here is another good link, studying end games will help your chess

chess endings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:19 am 
Middleweight

bossing, maraming salamat sa tips niyo

sinong mga paclanders naglalaro sa chess.com?

gusto ko rin matuto

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next