Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Basic Chess Strategy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:34 pm 
Heavyweight

ryan_c wrote:
dencioPT101 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
The following articles ay isa sa mga best na nabasa ko about bishop and knights endgame. Paginaral mo mabuti dami ka mapupulot. Kudos to to GM Energia, maganda din siya,hehehe...

http://www.chess.com/article/view/bishop-vs-knight-a-peaceful-encounter
http://www.chess.com/article/view/start-of-the-series-bishop-vs-knight
http://www.chess.com/article/view/the-arch-arch-nemeses-finale

if i know that my opponent is very comfortable and good in using his knights, i usually exchange my bishop or my knight if i have that opportunity. :biglaugh:

Hindi din dre, it's not the question if you prefer knights or bishop, it's what position favors the knight or bishop. Bishop are usually good at open position, knights are good at close position where they have good square to jump.If you have a very strong bishop against a passive knight, why give it up for that knight.Of course there are situation where even if you have a strong bishop you will give it for the passive knight, but a reason that your opponent enjoy playing with knights is not included.

For example in the game below by former world champion Karpov, the bishop dominates the knight in endgame(open position), Karpov gain the advantage in the endgame. Even if you enjoy playing with knights, you have to choose the position of Karpov, because his position has the advantage.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1068973

Now in the endgame below white has the advantage because his knight is better, while his opponent's bishop is hampered by its own pawn (bad bishop). :D

you're right on that aspect bro.

but what i meant is early in the game where one's pieces have not yet established any positional advantage.

and as i've said i only do that to selected opponents particularly those who i know their "caliber of play". :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:56 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Heheh ung tinutukoy mo siguro ay tulad nung nakalaban ko sa kanto kanto, ang pagkakaintindi niya ay kahit saang posisyon, malakas ang kabayo laban sa bishop,hehehe. I proved him wrong, I set up an endgame position an open one(we play it), I show him bishop are good at open position vs the short legged knights. Hehe..

Actually there are opening where you give your bishop early for a knight, for example Ruy Lopez, exchange variation, white gives up the bishop, hoping his queen side majority will give him the advantage in the endgame.

May variation din sa nimzo indian where black will give up the bishop to double white's pawn(structure advantage)...Kaya in nimzo indian there is the Capablanca variation Qc2(to avoid doubling of pawns)..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:04 am 
Heavyweight

ryan_c wrote:
Heheh ung tinutukoy mo siguro ay tulad nung nakalaban ko sa kanto kanto, ang pagkakaintindi niya ay kahit saang posisyon, malakas ang kabayo laban sa bishop,hehehe. I proved him wrong, I set up an endgame position an open one(we play it), I show him bishop are good at open position vs the short legged knights. Hehe..

Actually there are opening where you give your bishop early for a knight, for example Ruy Lopez, exchange variation, white gives up the bishop, hoping his queen side majority will give him the advantage in the endgame.

May variation din sa nimzo indian where black will give up the bishop to double white's pawn(structure advantage)...Kaya in nimzo indian there is the Capablanca variation Qc2(to avoid doubling of pawns)..

exactly what i mean, of course i'm the one playing white! :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 pm 
Cruiserweight

great pointers from bro ryan. i believe you're a very good player. are you a rated player, bro? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:41 am 
Light Heavyweight

natromgon wrote:
great pointers from bro ryan. i believe you're a very good player. are you a rated player, bro? 8)

I don't have OTB rating bro, I just want to help those people who wants to get better at chess or wants to learn how to play chess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 am 
Light Heavyweight

Here are good endgame simulations training.

http://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-training/endgame-simulations.php

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:46 pm 
Lightweight

ryan_c wrote:
I just want to help those people who wants to get better at chess or wants to learn how to play chess.

Are you willing to spare your time and effort to teach needy (orphan, abandoned, neglected) kids and help them find success in life through chess?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
Light Heavyweight

ryan_c wrote:
There are so many things to learn in chess to be good, but I will just post the basic chess maxim, if you based your play on this chess maxim, you will win more games, and it will improve your play.

These general chess principles are not absolutely certain rules, infallible in every case, but rather a sort of general guide. Good players follow them and it takes an expert to know when to deviate from them.

In the opening we should emphasize:

1. Rapid and solid development, avoiding the creation of any permanent weakness. It follows that if through your development you induce your opponent into creating any such weakness, so much the better. The development should aim at the control of the centre, either through immediate possession of it by the pawns, or by the long-range action of the pieces.
2. Do not move the same piece twice before full development has taken place.
3. Avoid loss of material with out full compensation.

In the Middle game:
1. Co-ordinate the action of your pieces.
2. Control of the centre is essential to a successful attack against the king.
3. Direct and violent attacks against the king must be made en masse, with full force, to ensure their success. The opposition must be overcome at all cost; the attack cannot be broken off, because that generally means defeat.
4. 4. Other things being equal, any material gain, no matter how small, means success.
5. Position comes first; material next. Space and time are complementary factors of position.
6. If the game will go to an ending for a decision, consider the type of ending to come before exchanging pieces.

In the ending:
1. Time increases in importance in the endings.
2. Two bishops are better than two knights.
3. A bishop is generally better than a knight, but not always.
4. Rook and bishop are generally better than a rook and knight.
5. Queen and knight are generally better than queen and bishop.
6. Pawns are strongest when in line with each other.
7. When the opponent has a bishop it is generally better to have your pawns on squares of the same colour as your opponent’s bishop. Whenever you have bishop, weather the opponent also has one or not, keep your pawns on squares of opposite colour to that of your own bishop.
8. In endings of one or two minor pieces the king should generally be marched forward towards the centre of the board.

^ correct,

let me just add some additional tips.

For me I believe opening is the most important aspect of the game,most of the time half of the game is won in the opening it self.Always aim to control the center position,don't give up the center, pawns should be handle with care because once you touched that pawn there is no turning back. There is an imaginary border in the center that you should always aim to control at the beginning just search it. That's why when sicilian defense was used frequently by fischer before, against e4 openings it gained popularity because black is not just fighting for equality but waiting to strike and gain advantage -an aggressive defense to control the center of the board.

I believe opening variations will not change for the next hundred years, they might change a little but it's safe to say if you grab a book today you can use it for years to follow.There are so many different books and materials that is dedicated to openings itself that is available today so start studying.

So my advice to those who want to learn serious chess are these:

1.Study the different opening variations ,memorize as much as you can.
From there choose two to three variations that you are comfortable with (the more the better). Then you must have deep understanding of your chosen variations, practice and simulate against different openings.(it takes time usually years)

2.It is a must for black to castle early, try to think of advance moves ahead , always position your officials towards center control.

FOLLOW THE CONVENTIONAL MOVES (openings) most of the time you will see something that is out of the book or unorthodox moves that you're sure will be advantageous for you,FORGET IT! 90% you will be wrong :)

^ above are the basics,study seriously ,the younger the better.

3. Middle game depends on what transpires during opening so by this time you you will likely know what you are playing for ,draw, win or lose. It takes time and experience to be good in middle and end game.(practice and play a lot of games,take years)

My belief as a player is this: (you might not agree and it's fine)

you should have exceptional opening game,your middle game will follow(depending on your experience and understanding of the game), study and it will improve your endgame.

Money will come and go. We all know that. The most important thing in life will always be the people in this room. Right here, right now. Salute, mi familia - Dom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:16 pm 
Light Heavyweight

mas ok pag kumpyansa ka pag solid ang understanding mo sa ibat ibang openings and you have lot of experience playing so pag me nakalaban kang totally di mo kilala and dala mo kanyon hindi balisong enjoy playing ciao :lol:

Money will come and go. We all know that. The most important thing in life will always be the people in this room. Right here, right now. Salute, mi familia - Dom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 pm 
Lightweight

Tip ko lang to improve
1.Play long games and games na may increment(e.g 25+10) and longer.Kung gusto mu talagang madevelop calculation,planning and overall chess ability.Kelangan talaga magalaro ng long game,hindi pwede puro blitz lng.Ang problema madami kasi nabobore sa long game at mamadaliin ka magmove.So hanap ka ng trusted friends na makakalaro mu ng gantong time controls.
2.Regarding chess books.Actually hindi ako nagbabasa ng libro .Mahina kasi ako magbasa ng notation.Pero madami ako natutunan through videos sa youtube.For beginners try jrobichess and matojellic.For intermediate players kingscrusher,chessnetwork and chessexplained
3.Try to play opponents near your strenght.not too strong ,not too weak
4.Regarding openings.Wag lng puro memorize dapat alam din ang prinsipyo.Actually kung beginning player k p lng ang dapat mu lng alalahanin e yung mga traps in your opening.Madaming benefits kung ikaw mismo magexplore ng opening instead of relying on a book.Experience is the best teacher.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 pm 
Light Heavyweight

golden lily wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
There are so many things to learn in chess to be good, but I will just post the basic chess maxim, if you based your play on this chess maxim, you will win more games, and it will improve your play.

These general chess principles are not absolutely certain rules, infallible in every case, but rather a sort of general guide. Good players follow them and it takes an expert to know when to deviate from them.

In the opening we should emphasize:

1. Rapid and solid development, avoiding the creation of any permanent weakness. It follows that if through your development you induce your opponent into creating any such weakness, so much the better. The development should aim at the control of the centre, either through immediate possession of it by the pawns, or by the long-range action of the pieces.
2. Do not move the same piece twice before full development has taken place.
3. Avoid loss of material with out full compensation.

In the Middle game:
1. Co-ordinate the action of your pieces.
2. Control of the centre is essential to a successful attack against the king.
3. Direct and violent attacks against the king must be made en masse, with full force, to ensure their success. The opposition must be overcome at all cost; the attack cannot be broken off, because that generally means defeat.
4. 4. Other things being equal, any material gain, no matter how small, means success.
5. Position comes first; material next. Space and time are complementary factors of position.
6. If the game will go to an ending for a decision, consider the type of ending to come before exchanging pieces.

In the ending:
1. Time increases in importance in the endings.
2. Two bishops are better than two knights.
3. A bishop is generally better than a knight, but not always.
4. Rook and bishop are generally better than a rook and knight.
5. Queen and knight are generally better than queen and bishop.
6. Pawns are strongest when in line with each other.
7. When the opponent has a bishop it is generally better to have your pawns on squares of the same colour as your opponent’s bishop. Whenever you have bishop, weather the opponent also has one or not, keep your pawns on squares of opposite colour to that of your own bishop.
8. In endings of one or two minor pieces the king should generally be marched forward towards the centre of the board.

^ correct,

For me I believe opening is the most important aspect of the game,most of the time half of the game is won in the opening it self.Always aim to control the center position,don't give up the center, pawns should be handle with care because once you touched that pawn there is no turning back. There is an imaginary border in the center that you should always aim to control at the beginning just search it. That's why when sicilian defense was used frequently by fischer before, against e4 openings it gained popularity because black is not just fighting for equality but waiting to strike and gain advantage -an aggressive defense to control the center of the board.

I believe opening variations will not change for the next hundred years, they might change a little but it's safe to say if you grab a book today you can use it for years to follow.There are so many different books and materials that is dedicated to openings itself that is available today so start studying.

From there choose two to three variations that you are comfortable with (the more the better). Then you must have deep understanding of your chosen variations, practice and simulate against different openings.(it takes time usually years)

2.It is a must for black to castle early, try to think of advance moves ahead , always position your officials towards center control.

FOLLOW THE CONVENTIONAL MOVES (openings) most of the time you will see something that is out of the book or unorthodox moves that you're sure will be advantageous for you,FORGET IT! 90% you will be wrong :)

3. Middle game depends on what transpires during opening so by this time you you will likely know what you are playing for ,draw, win or lose. It takes time and experience to be good in middle and end game.(practice and play a lot of games,take years)

you should have exceptional opening game,your middle game will follow(depending on your experience and understanding of the game), study and it will improve your endgame.

Actually it's the reverse, at below master level, studying endgames, tactics and middle game is more important than opening. In fact grand masters always advice not to focus on opening for players who are 2200 below at elo. Judit Polgar(the greatest woman chess player) told before that unless you are 2500 already, don't focus to much time on opening. There are national master who are not even familiar with opening names. Kasparov can't hide his amusement when after opening the quality of the game between two promising juniors suffered(these junior players give more attention to opening).Actually there is a study on the thousand of thousand games among amateur. The culprit of defeats in their games are blunders. What is the use of opening knowledge if you will just blunder? What is the use of opening if you don't understand if the resulting endgame is won or draw. What is the use of opening if you can't find the tactical combination that the position requires.

Do you already know bro short side, checking distance things in rook endgame? Do you know if a pawn + king + rook vs rook + king is draw or win?

Opening theory actually change in rapid fashion. What's fashionable today will not be fashionable tomorrow. For example in a variation in slav the Bg6 move(previous thought is not good) is now giving black solid position.

Last edited by ryan_c on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:35 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Norluan wrote:
Tip ko lang to improve
1.Play long games and games na may increment(e.g 25+10) and longer.Kung gusto mu talagang madevelop calculation,planning and overall chess ability.Kelangan talaga magalaro ng long game,hindi pwede puro blitz lng.Ang problema madami kasi nabobore sa long game at mamadaliin ka magmove.So hanap ka ng trusted friends na makakalaro mu ng gantong time controls.
2.Regarding chess books.Actually hindi ako nagbabasa ng libro .Mahina kasi ako magbasa ng notation.Pero madami ako natutunan through videos sa youtube.For beginners try jrobichess and matojellic.For intermediate players kingscrusher,chessnetwork and chessexplained
3.Try to play opponents near your strenght.not too strong ,not too weak
4.Regarding openings.Wag lng puro memorize dapat alam din ang prinsipyo.Actually kung beginning player k p lng ang dapat mu lng alalahanin e yung mga traps in your opening.Madaming benefits kung ikaw mismo magexplore ng opening instead of relying on a book.Experience is the best teacher.

Agree ako sa mga sinabi mo. Iba iba kasi ang tao, may tao mas madali matuto sa video, may tao mas madali matututo sa books. Hirap ka magbasa ng notation? Actually madali lang intindihin ang notation. Take a look at this.

http://www.chesshouse.com/how_to_read_and_write_chess_notation_a/166.htm

http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/basic/notation/notate.htm

kidsPorts wrote:
Are you willing to spare your time and effort to teach needy (orphan, abandoned, neglected) kids and help them find success in life through chess?

Why not if I have time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:59 pm 
Light Heavyweight

ryan_c wrote:
golden lily wrote:

^ correct,

Actually it's the reverse, at below master studying endgames, tactics and middle game is more important than opening. In fact grand master always advice not to focus on opening for players who are 2200 below at elo. Judit Polgar(the greatest woman chess player) told before that unless you are 2500 already, don't focus to much time on opening. There are national master who are not even familiar with opening names. Kasparov can't hide his amusement when after opening the quality of the game between two promising juniors suffered(these junior players give more attention to opening).Actually there is a study on the thousand of thousand games among amateur. The culprit of defeats in their games are blunders. What is the use of opening knowledge if you will just blunder? What is the use of opening if you don't understand if the resulting endgame is won or draw. What is the use of opening if you can't find the tactical combination that the position requires.

Do you already know bro short side, checking distance things in rook endgame? Do you know if a pawn + king + rook vs rook + king is draw or win?

Opening theory actually change in rapid fashion. What's fashionable today will not be fashionable tomorrow. For example in a variation in slav the Bg6 move(previous thought is not good) is now giving black solid position.

Yup exactly if you want to play at the highest level you could follow my tips or as you said if your goal is not to be the best fine concentrate on your mid and end game. Most games in the highest level don't even have end games :). Openings will be the same bro it's not dictated by fashion,there will be some changes but the principle per se is the same. The berlin wall or sicilian will change little, you will get variations in time but the concept remains. It's not a bad thing to equipped your self, it will be beneficial if you start learning the right way.

As I said memorize as much as you can and delve into 2 or more openings on which to specialized. What's the point of concentrating on your end game or middle game if you are on the losing side because your opening is weak?

It's not everyday you'll face amateurs so better be prepared ,just my 2cents

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I'm not saying middle game and end game is not important ,but opening for me is the most important among the three,just my 2cents :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Mid kasi makukuha mo yun sa practice,years of playing,experience,logic at understanding nung game.Tingin ko kasi matatalo ka pag mahina concept mo sa opening tapos kalaban mo malakas opening at marunong din mag mid at end. Mahirap habulin yung midgame pag olats ka na sa opening pa lang.Positioning pa lang talo ka na di ka naman pwede umasa sa blunder lang diba? :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next