Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:04 am 
Cruiserweight

Here are the numbers of people who attended the fight in Mandalay Bay.

Arum announced an attendance of only 8,362 which wasn’t close to a sellout in the 12,000-seat Mandalay Bay Events Center.

http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080702163

Does anyone know the PPV number?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:26 am 
Light Heavyweight

I can say Arum is spot on. In this case, he's not lying yesterday, he's not lying today. (That last line refers to Arum's famous quote, "I was lying yesterday. I am not lying today.")

In spite of David Diaz's lack of Mexican fan base, Mexicans would have trooped to Vegas were the economic conditions better if only to be on hand for the off chance that Diaz hands Pacquiao an upset.

It's the housing crisis, the gas prices and the spiralling costs of daily life in general that are keeping the fans in their homes.

I'd be also surprised if PPV numbers will be shown as robust. Mere cents short of 50 USD counts a lot these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:59 am 
Light Heavyweight

Even before fight time, Arum has already disclosed that the current state of US Economy seems to be affecting ticket sales.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:12 pm 
Light Heavyweight

bring PACMAN vs HATTON FIGHT in UK.

considering the huge fnas of RH, a soccer stadium will be blockbustered for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:35 am 
Welterweight

Islandboy wrote:
Here are the numbers of people who attended the fight in Mandalay Bay.

Arum announced an attendance of only 8,362 which wasn’t close to a sellout in the 12,000-seat Mandalay Bay Events Center.

http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080702163

Does anyone know the PPV number?

I would be interested in finding the PPV numbers too. I was there at the fight and it was my very first attendance of a live boxing match and it was an awesome experience. I will definitely go watch it live again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:01 am 
Welterweight

Just got this now:

http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p= ... 0080707118

PPV hits gross modest $12.5 M
By Abac Cordero
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
The Manny Pacquiao-David Diaz title bout held in Las Vegas last week drew close to 250,000 hits on pay-per-view, according to Top Rank Promotions president Bob Arum.

“It was okay but not great,” the ageless promoter told a Filipino scribe of the pay-per-view sales that were released exactly a week after Pacquiao scored the sensational win.

The numbers paled in comparison to the 400,000 hits generated worldwide by Pacquiao’s 12-round showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez last March also in Las Vegas. The sales reached over $20 million.

Pacquiao’s three classic fights with Erik Morales drew a combined sales of 1 million pay-per-view hits.

Each hit is worth $49.95 and with close to 250,000 hits sales would reach around $12.5 million. After HBO and Top Rank get their share, the boxers will get theirs depending on what’s stated in the contract.

Pacquiao, the main draw, will get the lion’s share.

The crowd attendance during the fight held at the Events Center of Mandalay Bay wasn’t that great either. With a seating capacity of 12,000 official records showed an attendance of 8,362.

Promoters blamed the failure to pack the venue to the rising cost of gasoline prices as the ordinary fight fan coming in from as far as California would need a few hundred bucks for gasoline to get to Vegas.

Meanwhile, Arum is still hoping that he could find a Las Vegas venue for the planned Nov. 8 match between Pacquiao and Venezuelan knockout artist Edwin Valero.

Arum was informed the other day that the MGM Mirage group cannot accommodate the fight because of two big promotions around the date Arum wants.

There’s the Nov. 22 fight between Ricky Hatton and Paul Malignaggi and the Dec. 6 farewell fight of Oscar dela Hoya. Both fights are set at the MGM Grand, and officials think that it’s not a wise decision to bring in another promotion involving Pacquiao around those dates.

Arum said he’s now looking at the Thomas and Mack Center, where Pacquiao fought Morales twice, or Planet Hollywood.

An Internet report, however, quoted Thomas and Mack director Daren Libonati saying that his facility “wouldn’t work” for a Nov. 8 date because the Professional Bull Riders finals on that night, and a game featuring the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels on the 15th.

“We’re aggressively looking for a date that works for Bob and, potentially, Planet Hollywood,” Libonati said in the report, adding that an October date can be considered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:28 am 
Light Heavyweight

Given the tight money situation , consumer confidence being in the pits, the lack of drawing power from the undercard and that it's only 50k less than the last Pacquiao-Morales, the figure is not too bad.

The last Pavlik fight also suffered from the current crisis. Pavlik's crowd from Ohio did not make it to the venue resulting in several empty seats (I believe attendance was less than 7,000) and PPV hits reportedly did not impress.

As I recall, Hopkins-Calzaghe, which was held in better times, didn't draw more than 8,000 live audience and didn't get past the 200,000 PPV mark (there were reports that it had only 144,000).

I read too that Barrera-Marquez, which was at the start of the housing crisis (when most believed the crisis shall be averted) and when gas prices were much lower, managed only 225,000 PPVs.

I don't know that any fight has racked up 300,000 since the housing bust got widely recognized for what it is and gas prices broke through 4 dollars a gallon- Regular.

Anyway, it should be interesting to know how Cotto-Margarito fares. It has a lot going for it:
1. It is a match that has been talked about for some time now.
2. It feeds on the long-standing Puerto Rican-Mexican rivalry.
3. Both fighters have significant fan bases.
4. The styles of both are ingridients for a very violent confrontation.
5. Either fighter is often mentioned by their respective supporters as bets to beat the retired Mayweather at Welterweight.