Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:18 pm 
Middleweight

Well..Abe was lost..he was TKO'd..Certainly, JMLopez is just an excellent warrior.

But in what manner may improve his fighting style?

My observations is that;

1) He always got hit when he's backing out. His head is widely open, too susceptible
for a punch.
2) No head movements.
3) Weak defense.

Better luck next time and i'm wishing that his fighting capabilities will develop more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lightweight

Abe lacks lateral, bob, and weaving movements. The thing is when Abe jabs he's kind of short in reach, if he tries to hit Juamma he gets countered, but either way he gets countered like what happened in the Leuvano fight. He has shown some in and out movement, but still he doesn't know when to use it properly.

I guess, the game plan of Buboy and team Abe was basically the hooks to the head, and big shots to the body. But Juamma is an elite top fighter. They need a much more solid game plan.

Abe needs to fight some top guys in the featherweight division, before pitting himself up with the champs. For me his wins are just with journey men. He needs top caliber fights, and I mean top. This is for him to gain experience, experience with the top guys. He needs it badly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:08 pm 
Light Heavyweight

My observation with Bernabe is his problem with his jabs. Concepcion's jabs are heavily loaded. He is not able to bring it back soon enough and a fast counter punch can hit him. His opponents will be looking for this opening. He is also looking for a knock out all the time. This makes it difficult for him since he will be throwing his strongest punches. By the way, nobody can throw KO punches all the time unless you are Manny Pacquiao. Therefore, he is not able to punch just to score and get through the rounds. He does not have good lateral movements. Maybe because he is always looking for a KO. He tends to move either forward and back. KOs are good but let them come your way. Don't look for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:15 pm 
Welterweight

blame the trainer, buboy fernandez. from the looks of it, concepcion is not really prepared strategy-wise for the lefty champion. almost all the left throws of lopez landed on concepcion's face. totally no defense, no jabs, no footworks. concepcion should have adapted pacquiao's training on the rubber tyre for good balance while maintaining the power on his punches as well on the defensive end.

i believe concepcion has the skills, although personally i think this is too early for him to fight the caliber of lopez. still, trainer's fault for wrong or lack of preparation & strategy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:04 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I blame it on Abe, no lateral movements, weak defense, always relies on his power.... and also Abe has a low IQ when it comes to technique's and style.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 pm 
Heavyweight

1. Abe was weak from the start. Just one straight punch down he goes to the canvass in the first round.
2. He opted to remain a sitting duck in front of Juanma, no lateral movement.
3. He brawled with a big swing and went after a one punch KO. It didn't work against a quick counter puncher Juanma.
4. Absolutely no defense. He was all wide open for a clean counter punch to the head.
5. Absolutely wrong strategy to brawl a skilled counter puncher.
6. Wrong training/coaching? or Abe could have absolutely defied the teachings of his trainer/coach.
7. Abe might have decided to fight big name as Juanma and stepped into the ring deperately in need of money win or lose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:34 pm 
Heavyweight

His punches are too wide leaving large gaps for counters. Lacks volume and combination punching.
Telegraphs his punches.
This bout just illustrates the great gulf, skill wise compared to Gerry. Now if only Penalosa had
Concepcion's power, even at age 35, I believe he whips Lopez easy. Gerry is in my estimation the best
Filipino technical boxer ever and that superiority in fundamentals tops the likes of Manny, and Nonito.

Last edited by Emmanuel53 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:37 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Abe telegraphs his punches. One big problem he needs to overcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:09 pm 
Welterweight

it`s a no brainer ...

the most basic thing ...

a boxer should possess ...

is tolerance to ...

absorbing punches ...

if abe does have that ...

i`m really sure ...

his skills would work ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12 pm 
Heavyweight

IDOLLLLLLLLLL wrote:
Well..Abe was lost..he was TKO'd..Certainly, JMLopez is just an excellent warrior.

My observations is that;

1) He always got hit when he's backing out. His head is widely open, too susceptible
for a punch.
2) No head movements.
3) Weak defense.

Better luck next time and i'm wishing that his fighting capabilities will develop more.

4) NEEDS UPGRADE ON HIS CORNER. (i mean, for a world title and all you have is buboy and neri)
5. he has no jab. he only throws one or two looping power punches at a time leaving him wide open everytime

at least we saw juanma can be decked too. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:22 pm 
Heavyweight

Juanma just surprised him with the amazing counter punches. No variety in his attack. Just wide right hooks. Although one hurt Juanma clearly in the body in the second round. Reach advantage was also evident. Better man simply won. Bernabe is still young. His power is up there. Train him better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:26 pm 
Light Heavyweight

IDOLLLLLLLLLL wrote:

My observations is that;

for a punch.
2) No head movements.
3) Weak defense.

4) POSTE. flat-footed no lateral movements = easy target.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:31 pm 
Middleweight

Abe always got caught by a left straight. I believe he lacks sparring against southpaws. Hindi niya mailagan ang left straight. And I believe he has a weak chin. If only he had a stronger chin, he could have knocked Lopez out sinceevery time he landed on the body, Juan Ma felt them. So early in the fight, Juan Ma was clearly weakening but sadly, he got caught again by a left straight which I thought was not that strong. Sayang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:40 pm 
Heavyweight

Gil P. Acosta wrote:
Abe always got caught by a left straight. I believe he lacks sparring against southpaws. Hindi niya mailagan ang left straight. And I believe he has a weak chin. If only he had a stronger chin, he could have knocked Lopez out sinceevery time he landed on the body, Juan Ma felt them. So early in the fight, Juan Ma was clearly weakening but sadly, he got caught again by a left straight which I thought was not that strong. Sayang

Not really. Juanma is a big puncher. And Abe caught the full brunt of Juanma's punches coming in. He neither rolled with the punches
nor partially deflect them with his gloves. Concepcion was also off balanced when he missed and this shoved his face and chin right into the path of those blows. I don't think anybody in the division can withstand the power of those blows especially when caught flush. And it took quite a number of them to take Abe out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Abe seems like not in perfect shape...

he needs to hire Alex Ariza to make him prepare will in big fights like this...