Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is the greatest mexican boxer?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:28 am
Juan Manuel Marquez 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Marco Antonio Barrera 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Eric Morales 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Jose Julio Chavez Sr. 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
Oscar Larios 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Jorge Solis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rafael Marquez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:42 pm 
Cruiserweight

Prancman wrote:
Juan Manuel Marquez
Marco Antonio Barrera
Eric Morales
Jose Julio Chavez Sr.
Oscar Larios
Jorge Solis
Rafael Marquez

hahaha...you must definitely be a newbie to the sweet science. You must be new boxing fan because of Manny Pacquiao. Who's Jose Julio Chavez??? hahaha... You include in your list Larios and Solis but exclude Mexican greats like Salvador Sanchez, Carlos Zarate, Lupe Pintor, Ruben Olivares, Ricardo Lopez, Miguel Canto and Guty Espadas Sr. Why would you include Jorge Solis?????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE_HIPPIE wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Mention of Carlos Zarate always calls to my mind Alfonso Zamora, and the battle of undefeated KO artists. Both are Mexicans.

Prior to that summit, only one fighter went the distance with "Canas" (sorry about the spelling; I don't know how to type the "hispanic n") while Zamora had disposed of all previous opponents before the final bell, including Eusebio Pedroza who later went on to register the most number of sucessful title defenses in the Featherweight class.

In a thread somewhere on this site, I expressed my opinion that The Ring magazine's ranking of Zarate of 70-something in the world's all-time greatest fighters was rather too low. I continue to think so.

Also, talking about Zarate evokes memories of Lupe Pintor and their fight in 79 in Vegas which Pintor won by SD. T'was a classic!

Sadly, Pintor's name is more readily associated with the Johnny Owen tragedy than his sterling accomplishments.

Pintor was Gomez's 17th defense of the SuperBantamweight title (a record which still stands) and that fight is, to understate it, memorable. A round of that encounter, I think, was declared Round of the Year by The Ring.

Personally, I still have to see a SuperBantamweight fight that is as good.

And then there's that other Mexican rivalry: Ruben Olivares and Chuchu Castillo! Olivares beat Lionel Rose while Castillo lost by Split Decision to Rose. Castillo's loss, however, was such a farce that a riot ensued at the Forum, in Inglewood.

Olivares and Castillo met thrice that I can recall with Olivares taking the first and third meetings by UD (but not before being KD'd in the two fights) and Castillo TKO'ing Olivares (due to cuts) in the second fight. All three shouldn't be missed by boxing fans.

I too love all of the three fighters you mentioned. :D

True that the 60's, 70's and early 80's were fantanstic boxing years. The above-mentioned as well as Bazooka Limon's rivalry with Bobby Chacon did a lot to make that so, along with such greats as Lionel Rose, Fighting Harada, Eder Jofre, Vicente Saldivar, Flash Elorde, Ismael Laguna, Sugar Ramos and many, many others.

Edit: As for lyour ast question...I'm neither Mexican nor Filipino. My loss, I guess...:D

Carlos Zarate was kayoed by Daniel Zaragoza who was kayoed by Erik Morales who was kayoed twice by Manny Pacquiao who was kayoed by Oscar Delahoya who kayoed Julio Cesar Chavez twice who kayoed Meldrick Taylor who kayoed......

1. Zaragoza beat Zarate when Zarate was in the 18th year of his pro career. It was Zarate's 70th fight. He was just a few months short of his 38th birthday. The Zaragoza fight was also in his come-back phase and was his last career fight.

2. I don't know that De La Hoya has already been KO'd by De La Hoya. I don't see that far into the future.

3. Pacquiao was KO'd however by both Torrecampo and Singsurat. If your point is that the one who KO's the other is better, then shouldn't Torrecampo and Singsurat be somewhere at the top of your list...higher than Morales, Zaragoza, Zarate and Pacquiao, himself?

Shouldn't it read: "Zarate was ko'd by Zaragoza who was KO'd by Morales who was KO'd by Paquiao who was KO'd by both Torrecampo and Singsurat" ?

Torrecampo, on to the HALL OF FAME!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 pm 
Light Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
THE_HIPPIE wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Mention of Carlos Zarate always calls to my mind Alfonso Zamora, and the battle of undefeated KO artists. Both are Mexicans.

Prior to that summit, only one fighter went the distance with "Canas" (sorry about the spelling; I don't know how to type the "hispanic n") while Zamora had disposed of all previous opponents before the final bell, including Eusebio Pedroza who later went on to register the most number of sucessful title defenses in the Featherweight class.

In a thread somewhere on this site, I expressed my opinion that The Ring magazine's ranking of Zarate of 70-something in the world's all-time greatest fighters was rather too low. I continue to think so.

Also, talking about Zarate evokes memories of Lupe Pintor and their fight in 79 in Vegas which Pintor won by SD. T'was a classic!

Sadly, Pintor's name is more readily associated with the Johnny Owen tragedy than his sterling accomplishments.

Pintor was Gomez's 17th defense of the SuperBantamweight title (a record which still stands) and that fight is, to understate it, memorable. A round of that encounter, I think, was declared Round of the Year by The Ring.

And then there's that other Mexican rivalry: Ruben Olivares and Chuchu Castillo! Olivares beat Lionel Rose while Castillo lost by Split Decision to Rose. Castillo's loss, however, was such a farce that a riot ensued at the Forum, in Inglewood.

Olivares and Castillo met thrice that I can recall with Olivares taking the first and third meetings by UD (but not before being KD'd in the two fights) and Castillo TKO'ing Olivares (due to cuts) in the second fight. All three shouldn't be missed by boxing fans.

True that the 60's, 70's and early 80's were fantanstic boxing years. The above-mentioned as well as Bazooka Limon's rivalry with Bobby Chacon did a lot to make that so, along with such greats as Lionel Rose, Fighting Harada, Eder Jofre, Vicente Saldivar, Flash Elorde, Ismael Laguna, Sugar Ramos and many, many others.

Edit: As for lyour ast question...I'm neither Mexican nor Filipino. My loss, I guess...:D

Carlos Zarate was kayoed by Daniel Zaragoza who was kayoed by Erik Morales who was kayoed twice by Manny Pacquiao who was kayoed by Oscar Delahoya who kayoed Julio Cesar Chavez twice who kayoed Meldrick Taylor who kayoed......

1. Zaragoza beat Zarate when Zarate was in the 18th year of his pro career. It was Zarate's 70th fight. He was just a few months short of his 38th birthday. The Zaragoza fight was also in his come-back phase and was his last career fight.

2. I don't know that De La Hoya has already been KO'd by De La Hoya. I don't see that far into the future.

3. Pacquiao was KO'd however by both Torrecampo and Singsurat. If your point is that the one who KO's the other is better, then shouldn't Torrecampo and Singsurat be somewhere at the top of your list...higher than Morales, Zaragoza, Zarate and Pacquiao, himself?

Shouldn't it read: "Zarate was ko'd by Zaragoza who was KO'd by Morales who was KO'd by Paquiao who was KO'd by both Torrecampo and Singsurat" ?

Erratum: Number 2. Should read: "I don't know that Pacquiao has already been KO'd by De La Hoya." Typo error. My fault.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
THE_HIPPIE wrote:
grayfist wrote:

Exactly!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:49 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE_HIPPIE wrote:
grayfist wrote:
THE_HIPPIE wrote:

Exactly!
If you say so... I guess...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
Exactly!
If you say so... I guess...[/quote]There should be rematch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:54 pm 
Heavyweight

Of the few I've watched on TV . . . JMM.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:04 pm 
Light Heavyweight

My 2 Cents wrote:
Chavez Sr., no doubt 8)

the worst might be... JMM coz he just don't knw how to accept defeat.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JMM be Da Man and face reality... 8) 8)

Does Chavez and Morales know how to accept it ? then why Chavez still asking to the Mexican fans to hate and to dislike Oscar coz He defeated Him ?? Chavez like Morales and Barrera won't accept to be defeated by a Mexican but contrary they are happy if any body from any other nationality will do it , in that way no body will say that no mexican fighter were better than them on theyer time .If they concider that the Mexican fighters are the best or one of the best in the world they should be proud that they were defeated for a Mexican and not just for some body else.They are a soure losser.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:04 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE_HIPPIE wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Exactly!
If you say so... I guess...
There should be rematch.[/quote]

Between Torrecampo and Pacquiao, you mean?

Sure. If you say so.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:07 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
Sure. If you say so.

Should've happened longtime ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:08 pm 
Cruiserweight

1. Julio Caesar Chavez Sr.
2. Salvador Sanchez
3. Ricardo Lopez
4. Erik Morales

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE_HIPPIE wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Sure. If you say so.

Pity, it did not. You think it's too late now?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:18 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
THE_HIPPIE wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Sure. If you say so.

Pity, it did not. You think it's too late now?

It's never too late, i'm sure Torrecampo has bloated to somewhere in 150 pounds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE_HIPPIE wrote:
It's never too late, i'm sure Torrecampo has bloated to somewhere in 150 pounds.
3-lbs difference (Manny is fighting De La Hoya at 147). What's that among old acquiantances, eh? Are you by any chance thinking of promoting the fight?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
Austin348 wrote:

I wanna believe that Manny has a chance, and I'll be rooting for him whole heartedly, but I have a difficult time beliveing he can beat Oscar. "Wear him out for a late round stoppage" and the old "puncher's chance" addage gets hard to believe when guys like Fernando and Felix couldn't hit him hard enough to stop him.

youre seeing the light, go preach all over pacland, repent nuthuggers! :biglaugh:

Yea you are right , one thing is not to like Oscar and the other thing is to see the reality .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next