Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:10 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is the greatest mexican boxer?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:28 am
Juan Manuel Marquez 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Marco Antonio Barrera 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Eric Morales 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Jose Julio Chavez Sr. 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
Oscar Larios 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Jorge Solis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rafael Marquez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:02 pm 
Heavyweight

Jorge Solis.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:08 pm 
Welterweight

Prancman wrote:
Juan Manuel Marquez
Marco Antonio Barrera
Eric Morales
Jose Julio Chavez Sr.
Oscar Larios
Jorge Solis
Rafael Marquez

ricardo lopez

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 pm 
Welterweight

I'll go for Julio Cesar Chavez, Morales, and Barrera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 pm 
Lightweight

this is ano brainer. Chavez Sr. is the best boxer that came out of Mexico. that is why Mexicans are mad against Oskee because of what he did to their boxing Idol!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:17 pm 
Heavyweight

panday wrote:
Jorge Solis.

lol, in that case glenn donaire is the best pinas ever had :biglaugh:

PACLAND: where pacquiao fans around the world congregate.

To talk about floyd! LMFAO!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:37 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
grayfist wrote:
blackheart wrote:
Chavez Sr., Ricardo Lopez and the greatest Salvador Sanchez.
Just too bad he died even before reaching his peak. I think he was still on his way to making good on his full potential and yet he was already beating the likes of Azumah Nelson (Nelson ran out of steam. The fight was such that a rematch was slated until Sanchez met his fate) and Wilfredo Gomez (who had stopped everyone he faced save one)--both of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Then there were Ruben Castillo, Roberto Castanon, Juan La Porte, Patrick Ford, Danny "Little Red" Lopez (twice)...

Scary!

I remember the build-up to his first meeting with the very popular Lopez, the reigning WBC Featherweight champ. The media knocked the match as a non-fight between, "Little Red vs. Little Known", meaning, Sanchez was a nobody.

They shoulda known better. Sanchez sure surprised them. :D

damn, a real boxing fan, what a breather, hey, what do you think of carlos "el canas" zarate, ruben "puas" olivares and lupe pintor? those are among my faves, i think the 60s and 70s where mexicos golden age... mexicano or pinoy?

Thanks! :D

Mention of Carlos Zarate always calls to my mind Alfonso Zamora, and the battle of undefeated KO artists. Both are Mexicans.

Prior to that summit, only one fighter went the distance with "Canas" (sorry about the spelling; I don't know how to type the "hispanic n") while Zamora had disposed of all previous opponents before the final bell, including Eusebio Pedroza who later went on to register the most number of sucessful title defenses in the Featherweight class.

In a thread somewhere on this site, I expressed my opinion that The Ring magazine's ranking of Zarate of 70-something in the world's all-time greatest fighters was rather too low. I continue to think so.

Also, talking about Zarate evokes memories of Lupe Pintor and their fight in 79 in Vegas which Pintor won by SD. T'was a classic!

Sadly, Pintor's name is more readily associated with the Johnny Owen tragedy than his sterling accomplishments.

Pintor was Gomez's 17th defense of the SuperBantamweight title (a record which still stands) and that fight is, to understate it, memorable. A round of that encounter, I think, was declared Round of the Year by The Ring.

Personally, I still have to see a SuperBantamweight fight that is as good.

And then there's that other Mexican rivalry: Ruben Olivares and Chuchu Castillo! Olivares beat Lionel Rose while Castillo lost by Split Decision to Rose. Castillo's loss, however, was such a farce that a riot ensued at the Forum, in Inglewood.

Olivares and Castillo met thrice that I can recall with Olivares taking the first and third meetings by UD (but not before being KD'd in the two fights) and Castillo TKO'ing Olivares (due to cuts) in the second fight. All three shouldn't be missed by boxing fans.

I too love all of the three fighters you mentioned. :D

True that the 60's, 70's and early 80's were fantanstic boxing years. The above-mentioned as well as Bazooka Limon's rivalry with Bobby Chacon did a lot to make that so, along with such greats as Lionel Rose, Fighting Harada, Eder Jofre, Vicente Saldivar, Flash Elorde, Ismael Laguna, Sugar Ramos and many, many others.

Edit: As for lyour ast question...I'm neither Mexican nor Filipino. My loss, I guess...:D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:13 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Just too bad he died even before reaching his peak. I think he was still on his way to making good on his full potential and yet he was already beating the likes of Azumah Nelson (Nelson ran out of steam. The fight was such that a rematch was slated until Sanchez met his fate) and Wilfredo Gomez (who had stopped everyone he faced save one)--both of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Then there were Ruben Castillo, Roberto Castanon, Juan La Porte, Patrick Ford, Danny "Little Red" Lopez (twice)...

Scary!

I remember the build-up to his first meeting with the very popular Lopez, the reigning WBC Featherweight champ. The media knocked the match as a non-fight between, "Little Red vs. Little Known", meaning, Sanchez was a nobody.

damn, a real boxing fan, what a breather, hey, what do you think of carlos "el canas" zarate, ruben "puas" olivares and lupe pintor? those are among my faves, i think the 60s and 70s where mexicos golden age... mexicano or pinoy?

Mention of Carlos Zarate always calls to my mind Alfonso Zamora, and the battle of undefeated KO artists. Both are Mexicans.

Prior to that summit, only one fighter went the distance with "Canas" (sorry about the spelling; I don't know how to type the "hispanic n") while Zamora had disposed of all previous opponents before the final bell, including Eusebio Pedroza who later went on to register the most number of sucessful title defenses in the Featherweight class.

In a thread somewhere on this site, I expressed my opinion that The Ring magazine's ranking of Zarate of 70-something in the world's all-time greatest fighters was rather too low. I continue to think so.

Also, talking about Zarate evokes memories of Lupe Pintor and their fight in 79 in Vegas which Pintor won by SD. T'was a classic!

Sadly, Pintor's name is more readily associated with the Johnny Owen tragedy than his sterling accomplishments.

Pintor was Gomez's 17th defense of the SuperBantamweight title (a record which still stands) and that fight is, to understate it, memorable. A round of that encounter, I think, was declared Round of the Year by The Ring.

And then there's that other Mexican rivalry: Ruben Olivares and Chuchu Castillo! Olivares beat Lionel Rose while Castillo lost by Split Decision to Rose. Castillo's loss, however, was such a farce that a riot ensued at the Forum, in Inglewood.

Olivares and Castillo met thrice that I can recall with Olivares taking the first and third meetings by UD (but not before being KD'd in the two fights) and Castillo TKO'ing Olivares (due to cuts) in the second fight. All three shouldn't be missed by boxing fans.

True that the 60's, 70's and early 80's were fantanstic boxing years. The above-mentioned as well as Bazooka Limon's rivalry with Bobby Chacon did a lot to make that so, along with such greats as Lionel Rose, Fighting Harada, Eder Jofre, Vicente Saldivar, Flash Elorde, Ismael Laguna, Sugar Ramos and many, many others.

Edit: As for lyour ast question...I'm neither Mexican nor Filipino. My loss, I guess...:D

compadre, your knowledge is great, i only know of one guy who knows that much, chups' lolo, :biglaugh: hey, i was a toddler when all those fights happened, i remember watching sanchez-gomez with my grandpa who was a huge boxing fan, im a regular fan of boxing since 1986, its really great to talk with somebody who lived that golden epoque of mexican boxing, i truly envy you bro... cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:19 pm 
Cruiserweight

zorro....
he told me he's a boxer :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
grayfist wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:

compadre, your knowledge is great, i only know of one guy who knows that much, chups' lolo, :biglaugh: hey, i was a toddler when all those fights happened, i remember watching sanchez-gomez with my grandpa who was a huge boxing fan, im a regular fan of boxing since 1986, its really great to talk with somebody who lived that golden epoque of mexican boxing, i truly envy you bro... cheers!
You're much too kind, compadre! :D

I've met chups here and in other boxing related sites (we've been buddies for years now!) and it would have been great as well to have met chup's lolo! I suspect we'd be a lot closer in terms of age. :D

Great to meet you too, pal! :D Coronas, all around?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:38 pm 
Middleweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
grayfist wrote:
blackheart wrote:
Chavez Sr., Ricardo Lopez and the greatest Salvador Sanchez.

Scary!

Seriously! There's not nearly enough of us on here. (I say us because I consider my self a real fan (I was the first one on this thread to mention Lopez lol))

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:45 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:

Solid post ol' buddy. Have nothing to contribute but to tell you that you can type ñ using ALT 164. Nice to see you pal. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 pm 
Heavyweight

Oscar Dela Hoya? Afterall, he is still mexican by blood.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:51 pm 
Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
Stop fooling people alfredo. I know you're a contemporary of john sullivan ha ha ! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:55 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Austin348 wrote:
[quote="THE MEXICAN"

Seriously! There's not nearly enough of us on here. (I say us because I consider my self a real fan (I was the first one on this thread to mention Lopez lol))[/quote]

Lopez? I mentioned Little Red only in relation with Sanchez and by no means was he the subject of the discussion. If that was also the context in which you did your earlier post, then, I apologize for having missed it all together.

We were talking about Sanchez, Zarate, Olivarez...

As for being a boxing fan, you can take being the greater boxing fan with all my best wishes, although I cannot see how something like that can matter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:58 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:
grayfist wrote:

You're much too kind, compadre! :D

I've met chups here and in other boxing related sites (we've been buddies for years now!) and it would have been great as well to have met chup's lolo! I suspect we'd be a lot closer in terms of age. :D

Great to meet you too, pal! :D Coronas, all around?

coronas? nah, ill invite you a case of dos equis lager, thats real mexican beer!
yeah, chups lolo is the bible of mexican boxing, damn old man knows from kid azteca to the latest boxing prospects, he likes to have records and lists so he doesnt loss track, he and chups are not in good terms, kinda of a love hate relationship lately, :biglaugh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next