Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:10 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is the greatest mexican boxer?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:28 am
Juan Manuel Marquez 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Marco Antonio Barrera 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Eric Morales 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Jose Julio Chavez Sr. 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
Oscar Larios 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Jorge Solis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rafael Marquez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:59 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Kadyo wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Thanks! :D

Mention of Carlos Zarate always calls to my mind Alfonso Zamora, and the battle of undefeated KO artists. Both are Mexicans.

Prior to that summit, only one fighter went the distance with "Canas" (sorry about the spelling; I don't know how to type the "hispanic n") while Zamora had disposed of all previous opponents before the final bell, including Eusebio Pedroza who later went on to register the most number of sucessful title defenses in the Featherweight class.

In a thread somewhere on this site, I expressed my opinion that The Ring magazine's ranking of Zarate of 70-something in the world's all-time greatest fighters was rather too low. I continue to think so.

Also, talking about Zarate evokes memories of Lupe Pintor and their fight in 79 in Vegas which Pintor won by SD. T'was a classic!

Sadly, Pintor's name is more readily associated with the Johnny Owen tragedy than his sterling accomplishments.

Pintor was Gomez's 17th defense of the SuperBantamweight title (a record which still stands) and that fight is, to understate it, memorable. A round of that encounter, I think, was declared Round of the Year by The Ring.

Personally, I still have to see a SuperBantamweight fight that is as good.

And then there's that other Mexican rivalry: Ruben Olivares and Chuchu Castillo! Olivares beat Lionel Rose while Castillo lost by Split Decision to Rose. Castillo's loss, however, was such a farce that a riot ensued at the Forum, in Inglewood.

Olivares and Castillo met thrice that I can recall with Olivares taking the first and third meetings by UD (but not before being KD'd in the two fights) and Castillo TKO'ing Olivares (due to cuts) in the second fight. All three shouldn't be missed by boxing fans.

I too love all of the three fighters you mentioned. :D

True that the 60's, 70's and early 80's were fantanstic boxing years. The above-mentioned as well as Bazooka Limon's rivalry with Bobby Chacon did a lot to make that so, along with such greats as Lionel Rose, Fighting Harada, Eder Jofre, Vicente Saldivar, Flash Elorde, Ismael Laguna, Sugar Ramos and many, many others.

Edit: As for lyour ast question...I'm neither Mexican nor Filipino. My loss, I guess...:D
Solid post ol' buddy. Have nothing to contribute but to tell you that you can type ñ using ALT 164. Nice to see you pal. :D
Hey, pal!

THANKS MUCH! Alt 164 it is! :lol:

Great to see you too, old friend! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Kadyo wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:
compadre, your knowledge is great, i only know of one guy who knows that much, chups' lolo, :biglaugh: hey, i was a toddler when all those fights happened, i remember watching sanchez-gomez with my grandpa who was a huge boxing fan, im a regular fan of boxing since 1986, its really great to talk with somebody who lived that golden epoque of mexican boxing, i truly envy you bro... cheers!
Stop fooling people alfredo. I know you're a contemporary of john sullivan ha ha ! :lol:

suuuuure joselito, youre a fan since the days they filled boxing gloves with coconut fibers in philippines :biglaugh:

PACLAND: where pacquiao fans around the world congregate.

To talk about floyd! LMFAO!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:05 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:

coronas? nah, ill invite you a case of dos equis lager, thats real mexican beer!
yeah, chups lolo is the bible of mexican boxing, damn old man knows from kid azteca to the latest boxing prospects, he likes to have records and lists so he doesnt loss track, he and chups are not in good terms, kinda of a love hate relationship lately, :biglaugh:
Dos Equis! I don't think an old fella like me can still handle that, bud! :D Thanks for the offer, just the same!

Chups and his lolo are not...? Oh, in time, things will turn out copasetic for them, I'm sure. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:11 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:

coronas? nah, ill invite you a case of dos equis lager, thats real mexican beer!
yeah, chups lolo is the bible of mexican boxing, damn old man knows from kid azteca to the latest boxing prospects, he likes to have records and lists so he doesnt loss track, he and chups are not in good terms, kinda of a love hate relationship lately, :biglaugh:
Dos Equis! I don't think an old fella like me can still handle that, bud! :D Thanks for the offer, just the same!

Chups and his lolo are not...? Oh, in time, things will turn out copasetic for them, I'm sure. :D

chups gramps is pissed coz chups doesnt take him to the park to feed the pigeons anymore, well, in reality he goes to see the nannies drinking a 40 wrapped in brown paper :biglaugh: hey bro, whats your honest, fearless prediction for pac-DLH? nevermind the nuthuggers, shoot bro :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:13 pm 
Middleweight

grayfist wrote:
Austin348 wrote:
[quote="THE MEXICAN"

Seriously! There's not nearly enough of us on here. (I say us because I consider my self a real fan (I was the first one on this thread to mention Lopez lol))

Lopez? I mentioned Little Red only in relation with Sanchez and by no means was he the subject of the discussion. If that was also the context in which you did your earlier post, then, I apologize for having missed it all together.

We were talking about Sanchez, Zarate, Olivarez...

As for being a boxing fan, you can take being the greater boxing fan with all my best wishes, although I cannot see how something like that can matter.[/quote]

LOL nah I'm just saying there's not enough fans like us on here. The Ricardo Lopez I meant was Ricardo "Finito" Lopez

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:18 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Dude, are you out of your mind. Your choices are way off. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:19 pm 
Light Heavyweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
grayfist wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:

chups gramps is pissed coz chups doesnt take him to the park to feed the pigeons anymore, well, in reality he goes to see the nannies :biglaugh: hey bro, whats your honest, fearless prediction for pac-DLH? nevermind the nuthuggers, shoot bro :D
Oh, that complaint...

I guess I shall be in line for putting my nephews, nieces and their children to similar tasks in a couple of decades or so. :lol: My wife and I have not been blessed with children... :(

As for ODLH-Pacquiao...Honestly, I still cannot make up my mind. I'm sorry bud. There are days when I fear for Pacquiao, and then, there are days when I can't dismiss his chances.

Maybe as the fight date draws nearer... :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Austin348 wrote:
grayfist wrote:
Austin348 wrote:
[quote="THE MEXICAN"

Seriously! There's not nearly enough of us on here. (I say us because I consider my self a real fan (I was the first one on this thread to mention Lopez lol))

Lopez? I mentioned Little Red only in relation with Sanchez and by no means was he the subject of the discussion. If that was also the context in which you did your earlier post, then, I apologize for having missed it all together.

We were talking about Sanchez, Zarate, Olivarez...

As for being a boxing fan, you can take being the greater boxing fan with all my best wishes, although I cannot see how something like that can matter.

LOL nah I'm just saying there's not enough fans like us on here. The Ricardo Lopez I meant was Ricardo "Finito" Lopez

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer[/quote]Oh, ok.

Your quoting our posts which spoke only of Little Red and had no mention of Finito had me asking.

I am familiar with Ricardo Lopez, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 pm 
Middleweight

ricoannamostajo wrote:
Dude, are you out of your mind. Your choices are way off. 8)

Who's choices and what choices don't you agree with?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:25 pm 
Heavyweight

1 Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.
2 Ricardo Lopez
3 JMM
4 Erik Morales
5 Marco Barrera.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:34 pm 
Heavyweight

grayfist wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:
grayfist wrote:

chups gramps is pissed coz chups doesnt take him to the park to feed the pigeons anymore, well, in reality he goes to see the nannies :biglaugh: hey bro, whats your honest, fearless prediction for pac-DLH? nevermind the nuthuggers, shoot bro :D
Oh, that complaint...

I guess I shall be in line for putting my nephews, nieces and their children to similar tasks in a couple of decades or so. :lol: My wife and I have not been blessed with children... :(

As for ODLH-Pacquiao...Honestly, I still cannot make up my mind. I'm sorry bud. There are days when I fear for Pacquiao, and then, there are days when I can't dismiss his chances.

Maybe as the fight date draws nearer... :)

i understand, you dont want to be jumped by nuthuggers ;) hahaha
hey, im excited with both main tv outfits in mexico showing boxing again, starting in late 80s and early 90s boxing turned into ppv and boxing lost even more fans to soccer, i think we are to see a revival in the next years, what you think of mares and victor ortiz? i think theyll be kicking *** pretty soon....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:37 pm 
Welterweight

MARIMAR :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:39 pm 
Middleweight

Oh, that complaint...

Maybe as the fight date draws nearer... :)[/quote]

I wanna believe that Manny has a chance, and I'll be rooting for him whole heartedly, but I have a difficult time beliveing he can beat Oscar. "Wear him out for a late round stoppage" and the old "puncher's chance" addage gets hard to believe when guys like Fernando and Felix couldn't hit him hard enough to stop him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:53 pm 
Heavyweight

Austin348 wrote:

I wanna believe that Manny has a chance, and I'll be rooting for him whole heartedly, but I have a difficult time beliveing he can beat Oscar. "Wear him out for a late round stoppage" and the old "puncher's chance" addage gets hard to believe when guys like Fernando and Felix couldn't hit him hard enough to stop him.

youre seeing the light, go preach all over pacland, repent nuthuggers! :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:57 pm 
Middleweight

THE MEXICAN wrote:
Austin348 wrote:

youre seeing the light, go preach all over pacland, repent nuthuggers! :biglaugh:

Of course maybe he'll tap him in the side and have him rolling around like Bernard did. :lol: X

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next