Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Who is the greatest mexican boxer?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:28 am
Juan Manuel Marquez 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Marco Antonio Barrera 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Eric Morales 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Jose Julio Chavez Sr. 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
Oscar Larios 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Jorge Solis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rafael Marquez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:39 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Austin348 wrote:
THE MEXICAN wrote:
Austin348 wrote:

I wanna believe that Manny has a chance, and I'll be rooting for him whole heartedly, but I have a difficult time beliveing he can beat Oscar. "Wear him out for a late round stoppage" and the old "puncher's chance" addage gets hard to believe when guys like Fernando and Felix couldn't hit him hard enough to stop him.

youre seeing the light, go preach all over pacland, repent nuthuggers! :biglaugh:

Of course maybe he'll tap him in the side and have him rolling around like Bernard did. :lol: X

You are right , any thing can happen especially in boxing , but the probabilities are very narow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:44 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Joe Black wrote:
Prancman wrote:
Juan Manuel Marquez
Marco Antonio Barrera
Eric Morales
Jose Julio Chavez Sr.
Oscar Larios
Jorge Solis
Rafael Marquez

is Jorge Solis a champ?

why Salvador Sánchez is not in the list?

Coz he is the best and to much to compare with them .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Well, one can argue that it is Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. over and above the other Mexican greats but most of the boxing fans here hardly saw any of his fights. Ditto with Salvador Sanchez. But the only fact which no one can argue about is that among the top 7 of Mexico's greatest fighters are the 3 Pac victims. It's rare to have at least 3 top fighters of a proud nation's boxing history like Mexico to share the distinction of losing badly to one single fighter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:29 pm 
Cruiserweight

great thread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:36 pm 
Lightweight

The greaters Feather Weight of all time, Salvador Sanchez should be in the list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:46 pm 
Lightweight

grayfist wrote:
Austin348 wrote:
Oh, that complaint...

I guess I shall be in line for putting my nephews, nieces and their children to similar tasks in a couple of decades or so. :lol: My wife and I have not been blessed with children... :(

As for ODLH-Pacquiao...Honestly, I still cannot make up my mind. I'm sorry bud. There are days when I fear for Pacquiao, and then, there are days when I can't dismiss his chances.

Maybe as the fight date draws nearer... :)

I wanna believe that Manny has a chance, and I'll be rooting for him whole heartedly, but I have a difficult time beliveing he can beat Oscar. "Wear him out for a late round stoppage" and the old "puncher's chance" addage gets hard to believe when guys like Fernando and Felix couldn't hit him hard enough to stop him.

Yes, all those considerations that you cited and a few more, such as noting that Vargas was 6 years ago and Trinidad was some 9 years ago. And, then, there's the question of how much is compromised by Oscar's having to go down to the required weight and where that compromise is going to be, if there be any. If it's in the torso, then it can be trouble for Oscar.

And there are questions re Pacquiao as well, among them, how quick can he still be at a weight that is 12 lbs. heavier than the last time he fought? How much speed can he retain in his punches? His power, after all, mostly comes from that speed.

Many, many more questions.

I'm just asking myself too many questions that I cannot arrive at a definite conclusion. That's where I am at the moment. I dunno if I can move towards leaping into one side or the other at fight time. Maybe not.

Maybe, I'll just watch the fight on neutral. That may be a little less fun, but just a little. :D[/quote]

Oscar shouldn't have taken the fight. He was up against the Tazmanian Devil hahaha

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6