Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:04 am 
Heavyweight

I was eating at one of our local filipno restaurants here in Calgary and the owner was a good friend of my mother. While serving us she brought up about Manny's upcoming fight with Oscar de la hoya and she was rooting for Manny to lose the fight to teach him a lesson kuno. I asked "bakit po?" and then she said because he's fighting for money and it's all just greed. Then I told them "but he has alot of charitable institutions back home who help our fellow filipinos who are downtrodden" and then she said "oh also cause he's a womanizer and I don't agree with that!" that's funny coming from someone who is a lesbian in her 40's. I told her "well Dolphy, Fernando Poe Jr and Joseph Estrada, willie revillame and countless more others in showbiz were womanizers does that mean you don't watch their movies or programs anymore? hell even bill clinton and JFK were womanizers but that didn't affect their ability to run a country." I was just thinking "wow crab mentality is really everywhere even with people that I though was above thinking like that! " I thought that she should be happy that a filipino from meager beginnings can get that far just by sheer determination and will. I also told her that he can not be blamed for wanting to make lots of money for that is the very same reason that we all went to Canada or the US for that matter for economic wealth so who are we to blame someone who wants to make money from the profession that he loves to do? the whole thing just made me sad because I saw crab mentality at its best...they want Manny to lose not because Oscar was a better boxer but because to them Manny has become greedy and a womanizer.

- Statement of President Noynoy Aquino on appointing Boy Abunda in his cabinet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:15 am 
Light Heavyweight

fil79 wrote:
I was eating at one of our local filipno restaurants here in Calgary and the owner was a good friend of my mother. While serving us she brought up about Manny's upcoming fight with Oscar de la hoya and she was rooting for Manny to lose the fight to teach him a lesson kuno. I asked "bakit po?" and then she said because he's fighting for money and it's all just greed. Then I told them "but he has alot of charitable institutions back home who help our fellow filipinos who are downtrodden" and then she said "oh also cause he's a womanizer and I don't agree with that!" that's funny coming from someone who is a lesbian in her 40's. I told her "well Dolphy, Fernando Poe Jr and Joseph Estrada, willie revillame and countless more others in showbiz were womanizers does that mean you don't watch their movies or programs anymore? hell even bill clinton and JFK were womanizers but that didn't affect their ability to run a country." I was just thinking "wow crab mentality is really everywhere even with people that I though was above thinking like that! " I thought that she should be happy that a filipino from meager beginnings can get that far just by sheer determination and will. I also told her that he can not be blamed for wanting to make lots of money for that is the very same reason that we all went to Canada or the US for that matter for economic wealth so who are we to blame someone who wants to make money from the profession that he loves to do? the whole thing just made me sad because I saw crab mentality at its best...they want Manny to lose not because Oscar was a better boxer but because to them Manny has become greedy and a womanizer.

yeah, it's sad but we can't avoid it....if there are pros there are the antis even you yourself, not every people around you likes you even if you do good or bad things. there will always an angel and a devil.......even god had his enemy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:23 am 
Welterweight

fil79 wrote:

that story of yours made me sad bro... yes crab mentality right?? those pinoys who wants manny to lose thic dec 6, grabe shame on you tlaga... put urself on this manny's situation, are you not going to do the same thing??? and those crab pinoys, nakakatulong ba kyo sa mga mahihirap na pinoy sa pinas??? the hell with the saying " we r entitiled to say or think or whatever" gosh, pinoy si manny then u wnt himto lose????? GGGGRRRRR!!!!.. kaka pikon tlaga...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:27 am 
Heavyweight

tank wrote:
fil79 wrote:

yeah, it's sad but we can't avoid it....if there are pros there are the antis even you yourself, not every people around you likes you even if you do good or bad things. there will always an angel and a devil.......even god had his enemy.

I guess you're right bro Tank! She kinda got irrittated when I told her "but isn't the reason why we left the philippines to come here is to make more money and gain wealth?" Manny is doing the same thing. I think they just can't stomach the though that someone who only finished grade 6 back home is making a hell of a lot more money than they do while they've been here for almost 20 yrs. and they all have a university education. Well if they want more money they should've just tried their luck in boxing! :biglaugh: LOL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:31 am 
Welterweight

Self-righteousness.

They can't even look at their own filth in the mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:31 am 
Heavyweight

raymond_noypi wrote:
fil79 wrote:

that story of yours made me sad bro... yes crab mentality right?? those pinoys who wants manny to lose thic dec 6, grabe shame on you tlaga... put urself on this manny's situation, are you not going to do the same thing??? and those crab pinoys, nakakatulong ba kyo sa mga mahihirap na pinoy sa pinas??? the hell with the saying " we r entitiled to say or think or whatever" gosh, pinoy si manny then u wnt himto lose????? GGGGRRRRR!!!!.. kaka pikon tlaga...

ako din bro medyo napikon ako.....they're a bunch of hypocrites....they all became silent when I told them "di ba ho kaya nga tayo nag-abroad para makalikom nang pera at magpayaman?" it's harsh but it's true. The money is here pero I'm still retiring back home....they can work here in Canada till their ears fall off and I'll be sipping coconut juice and enjoying the sunshine back home! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:37 am 
Lightweight

some people want to win their bets:P. On a serious note I was hoping that he would lose too but after learning that this is one his last 2 or 3 fights I don't think he needs to be taught a lesson not to fight for money.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:38 am 
Welterweight

fil79 wrote:
raymond_noypi wrote:
fil79 wrote:

ako din bro medyo napikon ako.....they're a bunch of hypocrites....they all became silent when I told them "di ba ho kaya nga tayo nag-abroad para makalikom nang pera at magpayaman?" it's harsh but it's true. The money is here pero I'm still retiring back home....they can work here in Canada till their ears fall off and I'll be sipping coconut juice and enjoying the sunshine back home! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:40 am 
Lightweight

Filipinos just like to play it safe. We really lack the self confidence in everything that involves competition with other countries (most of the time) It's kinda like colonial mentality. They think 'oh manny's gonna lose' even though they really want him to win. That way if he loses, then they're right and they can go to sleep at night on the other hand if he wins then they're surprised and happy... Win win as far as they're concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:43 am 
Light Heavyweight

fil79, you answered your own question. lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:47 am 
Heavyweight

Rubirosa wrote:
fil79, you answered your own question. lol

in retrospect, yes I did! LOL but what do you guys think about it? have you encountered something like this too? instead of being happy that a kababayan of yours is succeeding they throw mud on them so that they can make themselves bigger and better than the other person?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:12 am 
Light Heavyweight

cuz some people want to be different? lol

or jst doesnt know **** about boxing and manny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:18 am 
Strawweight

tsk tsk fil79 taga saang restaurant siya?, sa Pacific Hut, Aling Mely's o sa (fake) barrio fiesta? ;-)

fil79 wrote:
raymond_noypi wrote:
fil79 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:22 am 
Welterweight

" INGGIT " ika nga...
Trans. NEVERMIND

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:31 am 
Heavyweight

Quote:
tsk tsk fil79 taga saang restaurant siya?, sa Pacific Hut, Aling Mely's o sa (fake) barrio fiesta? ;-)

hey bro.....taga dito karin ba sa Calgary? I don't want to say her name cause she's one of our advertisers in our community newspaper here in Calgary....but I will tell you the location of her restaurant though...it's right on macleod trail south and 75th avenue sw.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next