Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:43 am 
Bantamweight

This thing has gotten me confused because of the recent article with Ron Frazier (honestly, I don't know him) where he stated that Pac had a fight where he had a rehydration clause in the contract, and I'm assuming that was the ODLH fight.

What I know is that there is no such thing as a stipulation that prohibits ODLH from weighing more than 147 pounds on fight night. The only thing I know is that there was a fine of $1m for every pound in excess of 147 in the weigh in but not on fight night. I did some research but was not able to find anything about this clause. This bothers me because this issue has been stated by a number of people which I think has no basis at all. Oscar messed up his weight with an experimental diet and that caused his devastating loss.

Once and for all, can anyone confirm or deny this rehydration clause with the ODLH fight? Links for proof would be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:29 am 
Heavyweight

can somebody explain this issue please

Learning and progress comes from being open minded.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 am 
Cruiserweight

No such thing. It's ODLH decision not to gain much weight on fight night since he was thinking that he can match Pac's speed if he will be fighting on a lighter weight!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:45 am 
Middleweight

Greystoke wrote:
This thing has gotten me confused because of the recent article with Ron Frazier (honestly, I don't know him) where he stated that Pac had a fight where he had a rehydration clause in the contract, and I'm assuming that was the ODLH fight.

What I know is that there is no such thing as a stipulation that prohibits ODLH from weighing more than 147 pounds on fight night. The only thing I know is that there was a fine of $1m for every pound in excess of 147 in the weigh in but not on fight night. I did some research but was not able to find anything about this clause. This bothers me because this issue has been stated by a number of people which I think has no basis at all. Oscar messed up his weight with an experimental diet and that caused his devastating loss.

Once and for all, can anyone confirm or deny this rehydration clause with the ODLH fight? Links for proof would be awesome.

Where have read that article?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:40 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Greystoke wrote:

it's a rumor, that's what i think of this issue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:37 pm 
Middleweight

I don't know about this particular case but typically a Rehydration clause usually says a fighter can't put TOO much weight back on before the fight. It pretty much never says that they have to weight the weight limit though. For example, in the De La Hoya fight if there was a rehydration clause it wouldn't have been that Oscar had to weigh 147 before the fight, it would have been Oscar has to weigh in at 147 the day before like a normal fight AND Can't weigh more than 154 or 160 or whatever the agreed weight is an hour before the fight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:50 pm 
Bantamweight

jojo catam wrote:

It's from this article - http://fighthype.com/pages/content6455.html

It's a long read.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:30 pm 
Middleweight

The person interviewed just confuses the people. Oscar, Hatton and Cotto had no re-hydration clauses. That would be very very very stupid because if you had a re-hydration clause and the other fighter comes in 10lbs heavier than the clause what's gonna happen? They will cancel the bout the day itself? That will be a huuuuuuge disaster!

Oscar came in at 147lbs during fight night because he messed his body up. Hatton came in at 154 because he said he wanted to match Pacquiao's speed. Cotto, even though his weight at fight night wasn't announced looked much bigger than Pacquiao who re-hydrated to 149lbs. Cotto probably went in the middle to high 150s. He wasn't as big though because as he stated himself, they trained for speed. That's why he was fast in the early rounds which also surprised Roach.

I also got confused when he stated that fighting at 147lbs meant that fighters had to fight with 10oz gloves. That is wrong! 154lbs stipulated that boxers must use 10oz gloves, not 147! If that is a rule, it is non-negotiable because it was made for the fighter's safety. So why then would they allow 8oz gloves for welterweight fights just like most of the bouts held at that weight limit? THAT'S BECAUSE 8oz GLOVES ARE ALLOWED FOR WELTERWEIGHT BOUTS!

The person interviewed claims that he's a trainer, used to be a fighter, an insider in boxing, blah blah blah, but the things that he said seemed to have just come out of his ***! He is just misleading people with false information.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:55 pm 
Bantamweight

Yeah, that statement about the 8 oz. gloves was also just crap.

But still, there are a lot of misinformed people who believe that a rehydration clause existed in the ODLH fight. I know that haters will always hate, but they hold this issue as if it was fact.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 pm 
Middleweight

Greystoke wrote:
Yeah, that statement about the 8 oz. gloves was also just crap.

But still, there are a lot of misinformed people who believe that a rehydration clause existed in the ODLH fight. I know that haters will always hate, but they hold this issue as if it was fact.

Actually, the this was the first time that I've heard of a re-hydration clause for the De La Hoya fight. In fact, I don't know of any fight with such a clause. But hey, just like the steroid allegations, I'm sure that this thing would spread as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:12 pm 
Light Heavyweight

he was a trainer named unknown frazier, i really don't know his name. i'm only familiar with the frazier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:29 pm 
Middleweight

Greystoke wrote:

rumors coming from showbiz talk show...

Pacman fanatics LIVE CHAT tayo sa http://www.chattersreunion.com or http://webchat.bbc-dubai.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:34 pm 
Featherweight

pac tko DLH 8. period. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:34 pm 
Middleweight

Greystoke wrote:
jojo catam wrote:

It's from this article - http://fighthype.com/pages/content6455.html

It's a long read.

indeed..it is only his opinion...not reliable... 8)