Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:39 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:49 pm 
Middleweight

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Former two-division titleholder Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson, the first African-American fighter to win a flyweight title, told RingTV.com on Wednesday that he believes that there is "no comparison" between himself and THE RING's No. 1-rated pound-for-pound fighter Manny Pacquiao, who captured his first of a record eight crowns as a 112-pounder in December of 1998.
"There is no comparison. Let me tell you something: like I have said before, nobody called me out, I called them out. So, I didn't fight no dead men. I didn't have to pull the wool over anybody's eyes," said Johnson.
"I didn't have to pull the wool over the eyes of people who don't know boxing by fighting guys like Shane Mosley, Oscar De La Hoya and even all of those guys like Antonio Margarito. Them guys were already dead. Everybody I fought was alive."
On Tuesday, Johnson was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame's Canastota, New York-based museum, along with five-division titleholder Thomas "The Hit-Man" Hearns, five-time trainer of the Year Freddie Roach, ring announcer Michael Buffer, Showtime Sports color commentator Al Bernstein and veteran boxing journalist Michael Katz among others.
Johnson was on hand at Wednesday's Washington, D.C., event at the John A. Wilson building, which houses D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray, Council Chairman Kwame R. Brown and their support staffs.
A native of Washington, D.C., Johnson was in attendance to help promote Saturday night's HBO-televised clash at the Washington Convention Center between RING No. 1-rated junior welterweight and WBA/IBF beltholder Amir Khan (26-1, 18 knockouts) and RING No. 6-rated Lamont Peterson (29-1-1, 15 KOs).
Roach will work Khan's corner, and Buffer will introduce the fighters with his trademark phrase, "Lets Get Ready To Rumble."
A slick boxer-puncher, the 40-year-old Johnson (44-5, 28 KOs) was ranked as high as No. 3 in the sport's pound-for-pound ratings before retiring in February of 2006.
Johnson was ducked by standout fighters of his day from 108 to 115 pounds, such as Johnny Tapia, Danny Romero, Michael Carbajal and Ricardo Lopez.
Meanwhile, Johnson believes Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs) has been the beneficiary of having faced inferior if not past-their-prime opposition, including No. 5-rated pound-for-pound and 38-year-old WBO/WBA lightweight beltholder Juan Manuel Marquez (53-6-1, 39 KOs), over whom Pacquiao won a controversial majority decision on Nov. 12.
It was the third meeting between the two, who had earlier battled to a draw and a split-decision win for Pacquiao in May of 2004 and March of 2008, respectively.
"When Pacquiao finally fought Juan Manuel Marquez again, it was a guy that was 40 percent dead, and the guy controlled the whole fight, and the guy controlled the pace of the fight. When I fought, I controlled all of my fights," said Johnson.
"Nobody else controlled the pace. I always made the comparison of me and Marvin Hagler and Aaron Pryor. Me and Hagler were left-handed, and we were too good and too black. Aaron Pryor could use both hands, and he was too good and he was crazy." THIS STUPID HALL OF FAMER INDUCTEE SHOULD BE PLACE IN HALL OF SHAME INSTEAD, I THINK HE IS JEALOUS T MANNY'S SUCCESS!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:11 pm 
Light Heavyweight

who is this guy?

ahhhhh!!! enough of those slick-black-American thing

Last edited by mcknug on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:12 pm 
Middleweight

Pacquiao will always be criticized for fighting drained and washed out fighters even after his elusive career is over. We can blame Arum for this; but on the other hand, we should be thankful for fatherbob for such clever match making. Pacquiao did really look good on those fights that put him in his stature right now. But regardless of this criticism, his legacy is already sealed. It's just regretful that he wont be called "The Greatest Of All Time". Sayang.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:03 pm 
Welterweight

kawawa naman si pac.One fight with JMM suddenly changed their perception about him. very undeserving.This is a wake up call.Huwag muna mag chicks. :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm 
Cruiserweight

this dead man is talking nonsense 8) it's better for him to go back to his shallow grave :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 pm 
Heavyweight

who is johnson anyway? is he a dead man? LOL...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:48 pm 
Cruiserweight

Location: Bishan Park,katung naa ga cricket (waaa!), Singapore
masterjayR24 wrote:

he is a blogger who wants high popularity in a very short time :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:52 pm 
Middleweight

Johnson is a nobody. He sounds like he's on that Mayweather train.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 pm 
Cruiserweight

nokus wrote:
masterjayR24 wrote:

he is a blogger who wants high popularity in a very short time :lol:

Does the Blogger makes him a boxer too
no diff.bet nathanielz and all other self supporting dog.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:04 pm 
Light Heavyweight

:lol: :lol: :lol: Johnson the dead man walking... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:28 pm 
Cruiserweight

mucho wrote:
kawawa naman si pac.One fight with JMM suddenly changed their perception about him. very undeserving.This is a wake up call.Huwag muna mag chicks. :(

Let them fight with Cotto, Margarito, Mosley, DelaHoya, Clottey, Diaz and Marquez, and let's see if they can beat at least 2 of them. For sure Cotto or Clottey or Marquez will kick their arses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:46 pm 
Middleweight

Gardo wrote:
this dead man is talking nonsense 8) it's better for him to go back to his shallow grave :biglaugh:

That's more like it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:25 pm 
Heavyweight

RIP Johnson's dead men :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 pm 
Lightweight

another namey boxer n ksp boxer...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 pm 
Heavyweight

Johnson is not "KSP", he was ASKED a question, and he gave an ANSWER

Just because he gave an answer that most people disagree with or do not like doesnt mean he was seeking attention. Does he have an agenda? its likely, but this is the first time we ever heard him talk about Pacquiao, its better to be honest than give a phony, fake response.

sparrow wrote:
Pacquiao will always be criticized for fighting drained and washed out fighters even after his elusive career is over. We can blame Arum for this; but on the other hand, we should be thankful for fatherbob for such clever match making. Pacquiao did really look good on those fights that put him in his stature right now. But regardless of this criticism, his legacy is already sealed. It's just regretful that he wont be called "The Greatest Of All Time". Sayang.

correct. When evaluating someone's legacy there is always an upside and downside.

When people talk about Rocky Marciano, we bring up his undefeated record, but then again there will always be questions about his fixed fights.

Sames goes for Manny, his resume is not beyond criticism and closer inspection.