Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:05 am 
Light Heavyweight

PACMAN10402 wrote:
i remember i use to work with him at solitas restaurant/club. i remember him training me. i remember him sparring with me and catching me with a shot to my liver n i called TIMEOUT....and i was on da floor trying to catch y breath..i remember him only having only to kids john and donica, i remember ate cherry his wife used to picked us up at fairtex gym at daly city. i remember him bringing me and my dad to da MAYWeather vs chavez fight at civic center....that was the fight when PACMAN fought a dirty fighter...i have sooooooooo much memories with him......but really the Sh** i remember s his LEFT HOOK!!! crazy !!!

Pre, what happened to his wife? I heard she abandoned Loiue for another man? Louie's attorney? why? did you know what happened?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 am 
Welterweight

racer.x.rocks.PG wrote:
tulindoy wrote:
I recently met him and he's such a humble man. We even exchange cell #s. After his day job, he trains a young boy and I believe a lady boxer too.

Poor Louie..I hope everything works out for him in the near future..

When he learned that I am a member of Pacland his face lit up but he is a bit concerned too. He told me, "Wag ka na lang maingay sa ibang pilipino, alam mo na baka may sabihin sila tungkol sa akin. Nakakawala na rin ng tiwala eh." I was not sure what he meant about what he said but I assured him that Pacland is behind him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:27 am 
Heavyweight

don robert wrote:
Master J wrote:
espinosa was the shhit back in the days :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Espinosa was a classy fighter, a purists dream. Problem was, he was not that attractive. He fought a little too late in the US.

I watched him once, live in Ninoy Aquino stadium. The fight ended in one round only. One of the undercards was Gerry P, who was my idol then. He messed up the face of his opponent. Luisito had his brother in the undercard too, and I wonder what happened to his brother.

Also, in both fights Luisito had with Sotto, I believed he won both. The second fight was a more clear win for him, as the first one was close. Had he beaten Sotton in their second fight, Luisito would have been bigger as he would have clearly beat Prince Hamed (who was reportedly avoiding him). I guess, it was not to be. Barrera instead did the favor in whipping Hamed.

Pacquiao was not popular then, but his name pops out from time to time. I used to have a colleague who takes bets for Pacman. Well, those were the very early Pacman days.

Yeah , I remember that time... and I think that if he was able to fight Hamed at that time (w/c I believe that he had of big chance of winning over the cocky Hamed).It could trigger his career to super-stardom... to bad he lost to Sotto and down his career goes... Louie was my man before pacquiao ...

Can somebody confirm that he is working at Costco right now...?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:34 am 
Welterweight

blonde_balbon wrote:
don robert wrote:
Master J wrote:
espinosa was the shhit back in the days :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Espinosa was a classy fighter, a purists dream. Problem was, he was not that attractive. He fought a little too late in the US.

I watched him once, live in Ninoy Aquino stadium. The fight ended in one round only. One of the undercards was Gerry P, who was my idol then. He messed up the face of his opponent. Luisito had his brother in the undercard too, and I wonder what happened to his brother.

Also, in both fights Luisito had with Sotto, I believed he won both. The second fight was a more clear win for him, as the first one was close. Had he beaten Sotton in their second fight, Luisito would have been bigger as he would have clearly beat Prince Hamed (who was reportedly avoiding him). I guess, it was not to be. Barrera instead did the favor in whipping Hamed.

Pacquiao was not popular then, but his name pops out from time to time. I used to have a colleague who takes bets for Pacman. Well, those were the very early Pacman days.

Yeah , I remember that time... and I think that if he was able to fight Hamed at that time (w/c I believe that he had of big chance of winning over the cocky Hamed).It could trigger his career to super-stardom... to bad he lost to Sotto and down his career goes... Louie was my man before pacquiao ...

Can somebody confirm that he is working at Costco right now...?

Yes, he is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:38 am 
Light Heavyweight

tulindoy wrote:
racer.x.rocks.PG wrote:
tulindoy wrote:
I recently met him and he's such a humble man. We even exchange cell #s. After his day job, he trains a young boy and I believe a lady boxer too.

Poor Louie..I hope everything works out for him in the near future..

When he learned that I am a member of Pacland his face lit up but he is a bit concerned too. He told me, "Wag ka na lang maingay sa ibang pilipino, alam mo na baka may sabihin sila tungkol sa akin. Nakakawala na rin ng tiwala eh." I was not sure what he meant about what he said but I assured him that Pacland is behind him.

That right there makes me even more sad for him. Like you, I do not really know what he means but one can only assume that he had lost his trust in the Filipino. Di bale Louie, just be be yourself. It appears that you have moved on. I believe there is something good for you in the future. Mabuhay ka!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:39 am 
Middleweight

I don't want to feel that fear of one of our champs being KOed again - that's what I remember most about Louie, his chin.

Luisito had many fights and most of those fights were koed victory in fashion. He fought the very best in his division and those victories are worth to remember , two of those were against Khaokor Galaxy and Kennedy Mckinney, if you remember the fight which were one of the greatest in boxing history.

And your traumatic recollection is how he was koed and most of all his chin and you don't even want to watch or see him fight... because of your fear... that he might be koed again.

What I recall most were Luisito's victories, his triumph and his courage to last.

There must be something wrong if you remember the worst...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:50 am 
Heavyweight

what i remember most about espinosa is when he knockout kennedy mckinney.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:51 am 
Light Heavyweight

optvpixelpusher wrote:
I am a boxing fan since I was a kid. My dad, used to be an amateur boxer and he taught us enough to defend ourselves in the streets. I love watching fights on RPN 9 before. I loved watching the likes of Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Vargas, Dela hoya, Tyson pummel thier foes into submission.

I also loved watching pinoy boxers fight for the title, the earliest I could remember was BadBoy Navarette getting KOed by Bazooka Limon if I remember right. Then there was Doddie Boy Penalosa, who despite his bum leg was quite feared in his division. Then there was Louie Espinosa.

I hate to admit it, but during Louie's reign, I wasn't really proud at all that he represents the best of Philippine boxing. The knockout wins of his was fun to watch but the live fights was the contrary. I know he could land a big one and that's it for the opposition, but his chin is so suspect, I know that if his opponent lands a clean one on him, its all over. I would crouch in one corner of the sofa everytime he fights, hoping that he could at least last the whole boxing match and end up with a decision. Louie also fights better when he's outside of the country, the fights he did here was mediocre at best he was even KOed in a championship match here if i'm not mistaken.

Louie was a Champ, no doubt about that, he's a filipino and we're proud of him for his acheivements, thank god his reign is over...I don't want to feel that fear of one of our champs being KOed again - that's what I remember most about Louie, his chin.
What was shocking was when Louie KOd Khaokor Galaxy in Thailand. Khaokor was deemed unbeatable then espceially the fight was in Thailand. That was i think Khaokor's first loss & quit boxing after that. His twin brother Khaosai , more illustrious, was a champion for 7 years until his retirement, 49 wins 43 kos. Louie beat Manuel Medina & Cesar Soto in Mnila, both his defenses. I don't think he had a weak chin. He also Kod Kennedy, an olympic gold medalist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:52 am 
Light Heavyweight

I think Louie is the greatest Filipino champion in terms of longevity & the number of his title defenses. 2 div champ, remember that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:22 am 
Middleweight

"The night b4 the fight, the mexicans are already celebrating (even with live band at the hotel where louie is staying)."

You're wrong about the mexicans culture. Bands are part of mexicans life... they are called Mariachi and they are everywhere.

It is their way of life, serenading and even give something thru music... it was not a celebration of defeat for Espinosa as was written.

Next time if you see a mariachi band in our pinoy boxers hotel or quarter before the fight... they are just serenading.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:48 am 
Heavyweight

optvpixelpusher wrote:
I am a boxing fan since I was a kid. My dad, used to be an amateur boxer and he taught us enough to defend ourselves in the streets. I love watching fights on RPN 9 before. I loved watching the likes of Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Vargas, Dela hoya, Tyson pummel thier foes into submission.

I also loved watching pinoy boxers fight for the title, the earliest I could remember was BadBoy Navarette getting KOed by Bazooka Limon if I remember right. Then there was Doddie Boy Penalosa, who despite his bum leg was quite feared in his division. Then there was Louie Espinosa.

I hate to admit it, but during Louie's reign, I wasn't really proud at all that he represents the best of Philippine boxing. The knockout wins of his was fun to watch but the live fights was the contrary. I know he could land a big one and that's it for the opposition, but his chin is so suspect, I know that if his opponent lands a clean one on him, its all over. I would crouch in one corner of the sofa everytime he fights, hoping that he could at least last the whole boxing match and end up with a decision. Louie also fights better when he's outside of the country, the fights he did here was mediocre at best he was even KOed in a championship match here if i'm not mistaken.

Louie was a Champ, no doubt about that, he's a filipino and we're proud of him for his acheivements, thank god his reign is over...I don't want to feel that fear of one of our champs being KOed again - that's what I remember most about Louie, his chin.

My favorite knock out win of Espi was the 1st round(I think less than 45 seconds) win againts the champion of Thailand (Kaokor Galaxy his 15 defense? againts Espi)

Where is Espinosa right now?paging!paging Espi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 am 
Heavyweight

What I understand is that Espinosa was ill-managed during the height of his career and so he had so much distractions every time he fights he was not well fucosed, correct me if I'm wrong. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 am 
Heavyweight

Samanea Saman wrote:
What I understand is that Espinosa was ill-managed during the height of his career and so he had so much distractions every time he fights he was not well fucosed, correct me if I'm wrong. :D :D

No, that's not true! Rivera(?) was like a father to him, nurtured him, made him a big star.
The start of Louie's downfall was his meddling wife, who we now know has left him.
Louie abandoned his manager, Rivera was terribly hurt of the act but kept quiet.

Rivera's son took care of Louie again in the last few years of his boxing career, managed him even though Louie should retire already.

Louie did not take care of himself. He should have listened to people who was there for him since then. Well, that is life. You choose and you live with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:41 am 
Cruiserweight

i remember what happened after he KO rios in Koronadal, South Cotabato!!!
remember?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:48 am 
Heavyweight

Louie is one of the best Filipino tacticians inside the ring, i like his stance, hard to KTFO