Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:48 am 
Middleweight

true that. gerry won that fight. most of the punches thrown by ponce de leon were parried anyway. but time to move on and just wait for the friggin rematch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:08 am 
Welterweight

Gerry outbox Ponce and he can take Ponce's power punches too.. in his 2nd meeting with DeLeon he should throw combinations like he did in Vorapin fight. if he do that then he would be the 2nd 3 division wolrd champion in asia.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:19 am 
Middleweight

just want to remind you about the judges score:
Chuck Giampa 109-119 | judge: Dave Moretti 108-120 | judge: Nelson Vazquez 109-119

If we were the judges, Gerry could be the winner, unfortunately we're not. Witht the scores above it's clear that judges likes aggressiveness and the busier figther. If Gerry cannot match the number of punches of DPDL then he would need a KO on the rematch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:34 am 
Bantamweight

hello everybody!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:33 pm 
Light Heavyweight

erinkeon wrote:
Chuck Giampa 109-119 | judge: Dave Moretti 108-120 | judge: Nelson Vazquez 109-119

If we were the judges, Gerry could be the winner, unfortunately we're not. Witht the scores above it's clear that judges likes aggressiveness and the busier figther. If Gerry cannot match the number of punches of DPDL then he would need a KO on the rematch.

Probably. A KO would always make for clear verdict, but I don't think it would be necessary.

I think GP should just increase his work rate, and provide the more telling blows (which he did the first time), then he may sway the judges in his favor. DPDL will come to fight in the rematch, and the early rounds will tell whether GP has a chance to get that 122 lbs. belt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm 
Heavyweight

bruceleejkdce wrote:
This would be a good fight, however one should go back in history and check the caliber of the boxers to whom he lost. In Joo Cho and Masatori Tokuyama. Both fighters are taller than Gerry and he had great difficulty chasing boxers with longer reach. Both guys have "hit" and "run" styles that made Gerry look bad in the eyes of the judges. I saw both of his fights with In Joo Cho and have no complaints about the decision.

Against Daniel Ponce de Leon, Gerry will again face a relentless, gung-ho puncher with a very high work rate. Taller, younger, faster and stronger. Unless Penalosa changes his style and punches rapid fire attacks like his polio-stricken brother Dodie Boy used to do (after Pacquiao, he is the fastest Filipino boxer in terms of punch launched that I have seen), I think he will not stand a chance against de Leon, not even during his prime. He lost to Cho and Tokuyama during his prime and both will eat dust if matched against de Leon.

Gerry is the Philippines answer to Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez boxing savvy. Cool, accurate, calculated but sometimes, and I say sometimes boring, especially for judges. DPDL throws punches with reckless abandon, whether they land or not. From the point of view of the judges scoring the fight, this can mean more rounds won.

I say, I like Gerry's boxing genius, but his style is not fit for fighters of DPDL's character. Like the fight with Jhonny Gonzales, the body punch was the victory punch. Without it, I am certain he could have lost that fight as well.

Gerry, I wish you all the best. Hope you prove me wrong. I am no detractor, just a boxing fan who would like to see world-beaters just like you overcome the opposition.

Mabuhay Ka!!!! :combo:

i completely agree with you bro, for the very same reasons. i don't think gerry will win if ever a match with DPDL happens but i'll be happy to be preven wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:08 pm 
Heavyweight

I think De leon won that fight. I know alota cried after that fight, they sobbed that GP was robbed apparently.And the same happened in Z Gorres, they sobbed Z was robbed against Montiel.
And these are the same people acusing Marquez of crying. I don't think so. Marquez just challenged Pac. He didn't beg. He challenge him face-to-face in his own backyard..Just Like De leon accepted Penalosas challenge. Peace sayo lahat..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:10 pm 
Heavyweight

I think we can see a different Geronimo in this rematch, Way different from his last fight against Daniel. Maybe FR and Gerry have a different approach to Daniel fighting style. Gerry could do what Ponce did.

Cant wait for this fight to materialize. Go Gerry!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:12 pm 
Heavyweight

erinkeon wrote:

good point. i have nothing against gerry but DPDL could just be his "Achilles heel".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:10 pm 
Welterweight

Numero uno wrote:
I think De leon won that fight. I know alota cried after that fight, they sobbed that GP was robbed apparently.And the same happened in Z Gorres, they sobbed Z was robbed against Montiel.
And these are the same people acusing Marquez of crying. I don't think so. Marquez just challenged Pac. He didn't beg. He challenge him face-to-face in his own backyard..Just Like De leon accepted Penalosas challenge. Peace sayo lahat..

How dare him come here in PI, when he ignored Manny offering him a handshake? So arrogant!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:59 pm 
Middleweight

cinderella_man wrote:
EYB wrote:
GP is like JMM when it comes on how badly needed the fight. but GP didnt go to Mex to call DPDL

Gerry, a true student of the sports did the cryin' calling out Ponce in classy way not like JMM - "chipipay" act ... :lol:

well said brothers you have my two thumbs up... :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:01 pm 
Heavyweight

cinderella_man wrote:
If Ponce loses to JuanMa, should Gerry still fight him? :?

Yea i think gerry is not after the world title anymore. He just wants revenge like juanita wants to fight pacman again :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 pm 
Middleweight

Numero uno wrote:

but i know you'll agree that JMM is not a true sportsman very ungentle man of him,and dont forget he keeps on whining which doesnt sound so good.. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:44 pm 
Welterweight

i believe gerry would throw more punches in thier rematch. we've seen him improved his hand speed in vorapin fight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:03 am 
Lightweight

How about a rematch against Johnny Gonsalez?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next