Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:00 pm 
Featherweight

stovepipe wrote:
Pac is a warrior in the ring with the heart of a true champion who wants the most dangerous fight he can possibly take for his own honor and pride.

My thoughts exactly! I'm in awe of the type of guy who will take on the toughest of opponents knowing full well what the risks are. I guess I've gotten so used to fighters who dodge certain opponents that I'm just so amazed when stuff like this happens.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:23 pm 
Middleweight

Losing one fight doesn't mean that he's not in his prime anymore (Morales losing to Raheem). And a very good point by pso_junior, Morales is just 29 years old.. Man.. he's still got a couple of more years being on top of his career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:39 pm 
Heavyweight

Do not give EM the chance to redeem himself at the expense of the Pacman. After EM's loss, Pacman has nothing to gain with that fight except the money. Pacman should fight MAB first for the 2 belts and for proof that he owns Marco before EM gets another chance to redeem himself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:47 am 
Lightweight

tantarado wrote:
After learning that the Manny Pacquiao vs. Erik Morales rematch was still on track despite Morales' loss to Zahir Raheem last Saturday, I was flabbergasted.

Just a few months back, Pacquiao signed a 2-year contract with one of the premier managers in boxing today, Shelly Finkel. The two-time BWAA Manager of the Year Award recipient heads a management team that includes two other LA-based lawyers in Keith Davidson and Nicholas Khan. "Between three seasoned lawyers, surely they must have advised their ward not to take this fight", I thought to myself.

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, is highly regarded as one of the best American trainers in boxing today. He was named Trainer of the Year for 2003 and the biggest names in boxing flock to his Hollywood gym to prepare for their upcoming matches. More importantly, Roach and Pacquiao have a father-son type of relationship nurtured through years of working with each other. From the changes made with Team Pacquiao this year, I think it's fair to say that Manny trusts Freddie's judgement implicitly. If there's anyone who can convince Manny not to take this fight, it would be Freddie. "Surely he must have advised Manny not to take this fight", I thought to myself.

Between all the accolades and awards received by his management team and trainer, you'd think at least one of them would have thought of it. Just by the sheer amount of people surrounding him on a daily basis, surely one of them must have figured it out.

Manny Pacquiao cannot win, if in fact he faces Erik Morales in the ring on January 21. Before you all go "Pedro Fernandez" on me (sorry, I couldn't help it), let me explain myself.

Manny Pacquiao has little to gain and everything to lose in this upcoming match. After Erik Morales' stunning loss to Raheem this past Saturday, one of the HBO commentators put forth an interesting question. Is Erik in the twilight of his boxing career? The question was open-ended presumably because his next match would determine his fate.

Manny Pacquiao has little to gain from this upcoming match because if he does defeat Morales, most people would attribute it to the fact that Erik was not at the top of his game anymore. A win for Pacquiao wouldn't necessarily mean a considerable move up anybody's pound for pound list. It certainly wouldn't do much for his boxing reputation to beat a fighter whose career is in a downward slope. His marketability wouldn't gain sizeable ground either.

Meanwhile, I shudder to think what would happen if Manny loses. I'm sure his future fight purses would suffer as a consequence of a loss. But that's probably the least of his problems at that point.

There's almost no upside and so much downside to this, I'm shocked that no one has talked Manny out of fighting Morales again. I'm sure his management team could have arranged a fight with another boxer where he'd actually get the lion's share of the purse. So it can't be just about the money.

I was beginning to think there was no logic behind it when I suddenly figured it out.

Manny loves the challenge of a good fight. In an age where some boxers have long and lucrative careers while steering clear of fights where there is little upside, Manny would rather fight the tough fights. Irregardless of what it might do to his reputation, he loves to go up against the toughest boxers and no one will convince him otherwise. The notion sends shivers up my spine. It's almost...heroic.

It occurred to me that this is precisely why so many people have been following his career so closely. No wonder they call him the people's champ!
MANNY IS GONA GET HIS *** HANDED TO HIM.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:58 am 
Featherweight

A little more insight on why Manny is honoring his rematch with Morales, even after the latter's loss to Raheem.

This is from the Philippine Star
http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200509201608.htm

"I don’t care if he lost. He was a man in giving me a rematch, I want to be a man in giving him a rematch," Pacquiao said in his dressing room after watching Morales’ loss to Raheem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:10 am 
Lightweight

tantarado wrote:
After learning that the Manny Pacquiao vs. Erik Morales rematch was still on track despite Morales' loss to Zahir Raheem last Saturday, I was flabbergasted.

Just a few months back, Pacquiao signed a 2-year contract with one of the premier managers in boxing today, Shelly Finkel. The two-time BWAA Manager of the Year Award recipient heads a management team that includes two other LA-based lawyers in Keith Davidson and Nicholas Khan. "Between three seasoned lawyers, surely they must have advised their ward not to take this fight", I thought to myself.

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, is highly regarded as one of the best American trainers in boxing today. He was named Trainer of the Year for 2003 and the biggest names in boxing flock to his Hollywood gym to prepare for their upcoming matches. More importantly, Roach and Pacquiao have a father-son type of relationship nurtured through years of working with each other. From the changes made with Team Pacquiao this year, I think it's fair to say that Manny trusts Freddie's judgement implicitly. If there's anyone who can convince Manny not to take this fight, it would be Freddie. "Surely he must have advised Manny not to take this fight", I thought to myself.

Between all the accolades and awards received by his management team and trainer, you'd think at least one of them would have thought of it. Just by the sheer amount of people surrounding him on a daily basis, surely one of them must have figured it out.

Manny Pacquiao cannot win, if in fact he faces Erik Morales in the ring on January 21. Before you all go "Pedro Fernandez" on me (sorry, I couldn't help it), let me explain myself.

Manny Pacquiao has little to gain and everything to lose in this upcoming match. After Erik Morales' stunning loss to Raheem this past Saturday, one of the HBO commentators put forth an interesting question. Is Erik in the twilight of his boxing career? The question was open-ended presumably because his next match would determine his fate.

Manny Pacquiao has little to gain from this upcoming match because if he does defeat Morales, most people would attribute it to the fact that Erik was not at the top of his game anymore. A win for Pacquiao wouldn't necessarily mean a considerable move up anybody's pound for pound list. It certainly wouldn't do much for his boxing reputation to beat a fighter whose career is in a downward slope. His marketability wouldn't gain sizeable ground either.

Meanwhile, I shudder to think what would happen if Manny loses. I'm sure his future fight purses would suffer as a consequence of a loss. But that's probably the least of his problems at that point.

There's almost no upside and so much downside to this, I'm shocked that no one has talked Manny out of fighting Morales again. I'm sure his management team could have arranged a fight with another boxer where he'd actually get the lion's share of the purse. So it can't be just about the money.

I was beginning to think there was no logic behind it when I suddenly figured it out.

Manny loves the challenge of a good fight. In an age where some boxers have long and lucrative careers while steering clear of fights where there is little upside, Manny would rather fight the tough fights. Irregardless of what it might do to his reputation, he loves to go up against the toughest boxers and no one will convince him otherwise. The notion sends shivers up my spine. It's almost...heroic.

It occurred to me that this is precisely why so many people have been following his career so closely. No wonder they call him the people's champ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:31 am 
Welterweight

Pacman will fight Morales coz it's already a done deal!!! Pacman will win by KO!!! then Barrera have no choice but to fight Pacman coz in some point Pacman will be the no.1 challenger on one of those belts that Barrera got !!! go Pacman :machinegun: go Pacman :machinegun: that's the only way to get a rematch from Barrera!!! just my thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:15 am 
Bantamweight

tantarado wrote:
A little more insight on why Manny is honoring his rematch with Morales, even after the latter's loss to Raheem.

This is from the Philippine Star
http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200509201608.htm

"I don’t care if he lost. He was a man in giving me a rematch, I want to be a man in giving him a rematch," Pacquiao said in his dressing room after watching Morales’ loss to Raheem.

Very good post and topic.

I read the Philstar article too. The Man has class and character!

IMHO, PACMAN may have many options of whom to fight next all with big paydays, but if he succeeds in completing the trifecta of defeating MAB, EM and JMM, he name will be forever in sports history as fearless and the only human being who dared to challenge, fight and beat all three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:29 pm 
Strawweight

let us just hope and pray pac-man would win his rematch with El Terrible...let us not expect too much with the up coming fight between them!!!cause it would just go on a hot debate where we dunno exactly what will happen then...they are both great warriors in the ring!!!so let us just wait and hold our hands together for pacman's fight!!!go go go manny!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:11 pm 
Heavyweight

GO Manny! Solid Manny PACQUIAO to! EM will be dead on Jan. 21, 2006......