Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:43 am 
Heavyweight

To my fellow Paclanders,

Updated: November 23, 2010, 1:11 PM ET
Manny Pacquiao also a PPV champion
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5842507

Manny Pacquiao already holds the record for winning titles in eight weight classes. Now, he has tied a record in the pay-per-view world.

Pacquiao matched former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson as the only fighter in pay-per-view history to generate at least one million buys for a fight in three consecutive years. HBO announced Tuesday that Pacquiao's one-sided battering of Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium to win a vacant junior middleweight title -- his record-extending eighth -- generated at least 1.15 million buys and $64 million domestic pay-per-view revenue.

The number HBO reported is only an initial figure, with the total likely to rise once the buys are fully accounted for.

"We're thrilled with the PPV performance," said HBO senior vice president Mark Taffet, who runs HBO PPV. "With the breadth of interest from sports, entertainment and news media following Manny and the fight, boxing has tremendous momentum as we finish 2010 and head into a very exciting 2011."

Pacquiao's lopsided eighth-round destruction of Oscar De La Hoya, which sent him into retirement, generated 1.25 million buys in 2008. Pacquiao's 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto in 2009 sold 1.2 million units.

"This is the third consecutive year that a Manny Pacquiao megafight has exceeded 1 million buys and he has generated 5.1 million buys over his last five fights -- true measures of his PPV superstar status," Taffet said.

Pacquiao's other 2010 fight, a lopsided decision against Joshua Clottey at Cowboys Stadium in March, generated 700,000 buys. That fight was made on short notice and Clottey was a virtual unknown.

"I think the fight with Margarito did very, very well and we are constantly trying to figure out how to better our performances," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said. "Considering where we were when we announced the fight, nobody would have believed we would have done this. They said Margarito was disgraced and people talked about boycotting it."

Arum was referring to the scandal that engulfed Margarito, who had been caught in January 2009 of trying to enter his fight against Shane Mosley with loaded hand wraps. He was caught, had his license revoked by California regulators and became a pariah before Texas granted him a license to fight Pacquiao.

After Tyson was released from prison, he also did huge numbers for fights from 1995 to 1997. The total for Pacquiao-Margarito is the second-biggest pay-per-view of the year. Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s May win against Shane Mosley generated 1.4 million.

Of course, the biggest fight in boxing would match Pacquiao, the pound-for-pound king, with Mayweather. However, two rounds of negotiations have failed. When Mayweather rejected an offer to fight him on Nov. 13, Margarito was tapped instead.

Arum is proud of the fact that Pacquiao, who is from the Philippines, has become a major star in the United States.

"That's one of the achievements we can take credit for -- taking a non-American and crossing him over," Arum said. "Can we do more? Yeah. Nobody would have dreamed that you could take a fighter from the Philippines and make him into an iconic American star and we've been able to do that. Most of the credit goes to Pacquiao, but we've been able to do that and now we have to improve on what we've done.

"It's a work in progress. It's one thing to do big numbers fighting Oscar De La Hoya, who always did big numbers. It's another doing them on his own, which he is now apparently able to do. One of the ways to put it into the stratosphere is to make the Mayweather fight, but that is out of my control.

"I hope that is the next fight."

Mabuhay ang dugong Pilipino, mabuhay ang mga Kawal Pinoy, mabuhay si idol MP.
GOD BLESS US ALL !!!

Matthew 28:20"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."
Acts 20:35 "It is more blessed to give than to recieve."
Philippians 4:13"I can do all things through CHRIST which strengtheneth me."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 am 
Cruiserweight

Awesome, and that's the low end. It's bound to go up in a few days. Prolly will end up at about 1.2million.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 am 
Heavyweight

Additional LinkS:

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33132

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=A ... bers112310

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:49 am 
Heavyweight

Pac-Man fight TOPS a Million Buys

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 10 minutes ago

link: http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=A ... bers112310

Mark Taffet, the senior vice president of sports operations and pay-per-view at HBO, announced that the Nov. 13 fight between Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito sold 1.15 million units and generated $64 million in pay-per-view revenue.

The figure made Pacquiao the first boxer in the pay-per-view era to have a bout sell in excess of 1 million in three consecutive years. Pacquiao sold 1.25 million with Oscar De La Hoya in 2008 and 1.2 million with Miguel Cotto in 2009.

More From Kevin IoleMartinez's dominance could cost him Nov 21, 2010 One fight at a time for Williams Nov 19, 2010 However, the number was under the predictions of Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who was expecting no fewer than 1.25 million purchases. HBO Pay-Per-View didn’t release a figure until 10 days after the fight, which is unusually late, in an obvious effort to be able to announce as high a number as possible. Pay-per-view sales often continue to drag in for months, and, in some cases, years, though the final figure normally doesn’t change appreciably. The 2007 Mayweather-De La Hoya fight recently surpassed 2.45 million, Taffet said.

Taffet asserted that the Pacquiao-Margarito fight “performed exceptionally well.” He also said that since Pacquiao’s past five pay-per-view bouts have sold a combined 5.1 million, it is a “true measure of his pay-per-view superstar status.”

But Mayweather, who is facing up to 34 years in jail on felony and misdemeanor charges related to a Sept. 9 domestic violence allegation in Las Vegas, continues to sell better than Pacquiao. The Mayweather-Shane Mosley bout on May 2 sold 1.4 million. Mayweather did nearly twice as well with De La Hoya as Pacquiao did, and his 1 million sales for a September 2009 bout with Juan Manuel Marquez were well more than Pacquiao did in two fights against the great Mexican champion.

Arum was expecting bigger numbers for the pay-per-view sales because of the extraordinary media coverage the fight received, pointing to publicity such as the Pacquiao profile that appeared on CBS’ “60 Minutes” the Sunday before the fight.

The Pacquiao-Margarito bout attracted 41,734 fans to Cowboys Stadium, which is 9,260 fewer than Pacquiao did for the March 13 fight in the same venue against Joshua Clottey. Arum attributed that decline to the fact that the $35 so-called “party passes,” which afforded fans a standing-room ticket, weren’t sold for the Margarito fight.

Pacquiao’s pair of 2010 fights sold 92,728 tickets, an extraordinary number for boxing. The two bouts in Texas likely generated a combined paid gate of approximately $13 million, given the ticket pricing structure for Pacquiao vs. Margarito. That’s only about $2 million more than the paid gate of $11.03 million for the Mayweather-Mosley fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Texas has not yet released the official gate report from the event.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:03 am 
Light Heavyweight

die hard!!! wrote:

Iole is really a Mayweather nuthugger. He is happy that Pacquiao did not surpass Mayweather's PPV numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:15 am 
Heavyweight

Dalubhasa wrote:
die hard!!! wrote:

Iole is really a Mayweather nuthugger. He is happy that Pacquiao did not surpass Mayweather's PPV numbers.

+Yes, I agree bro.
other link: http://www.boxingnews24.com/2010/11/pac ... more-47074

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 am 
Cruiserweight

Mayweather-Mosley, both Americans outsold Pac-Margarito. GEE, WHAT A SURPRISE.

The fact that Manny can sell over a million PPV's against a non-American is a testament to his drawing power, one that is coming off a suspension with many folks calling for a boycott.

It's all a matter of perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 am 
Heavyweight

flipgolfer wrote:

The fact that Manny can sell over a million PPV's against a non-American is a testament to his drawing power, one that is coming off a suspension with many folks calling for a boycott.

+Very well said bro. Hopefully the next fight fight of MP will generate much more ppv buys. It should be against a well known, fame, popular and established fighter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:41 am 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao asserts himself as Pay-Per-View Star
Posted 2h 9m ago |

link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2 ... 2974_x.htm

By Dave Skretta, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK — Manny Pacquiao is NOT Simply The BEST Boxer in the World. He's Also The SPORT's BIGGEST BOX OFFICE Attraction.
Pacquiao's comprehensive destruction of Antonio Margarito for a vacant junior middleweight title on Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium generated at least 1.15 million buys and $64 million domestic revenue, according to figures announced Tuesday by HBO Sports.

Those numbers are expected to increase slightly once all the figures are counted, but Pacquiao already is assured of his third straight year with at least one fight breaking the 1 million mark.

"It wasn't even on the right-hand side of the computer spreadsheet," said HBO vice president Mark Taffet, whose job includes handling pay-per-view broadcasts, when asked whether the numbers exceeded his expectations. "It's an outstanding number."

Pacquiao's victory over Oscar De La Hoya in 2008 generated 1.25 million buys, and his knockout of Miguel Cotto last year did 1.2 million. Taffet said his last five fights combined have generated at least 5.1 million buys, putting Pacquiao on par with De La Hoya, Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the biggest earners in pay-per-view history.

Of that group, the Filipino icon is the only non-American.

"He's become a world figure, that's what differentiates it from the superstars that preceded him," Taffet said. "And his coverage is not just in sports media. He's transcended sport, to the point where he's the first non-American to generate these kinds of numbers."

Pacquiao also generated 700,000 buys for a lopsided decision earlier this year over Joshua Clottey, a fighter who has virtually no name recognition beyond the most ardent boxing fans.

Those same fans are hoping the next fight for Pacquiao is against someone virtually everybody recognizes: Mayweather. The two sides have failed twice to reach an agreement on what could be the richest fight in boxing history, and now with Mayweather's legal trouble in Las Vegas, the matchup is looking increasingly unlikely for next year.

"Mayweather, it can't be compared to any other fight that can conceivably be made," said Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, comparing the fight to the Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier fight in 1971.

"That fight would be like the Ali-Frazier of our time. And you know, Ali-Frazier in 1971 was the biggest fight really of all time, at that point. The same thing would be said for Manny and Floyd this time, but you know, it takes two to make the fight."

Arum said he's flying to the Philippines in December to celebrate Pacquiao's birthday, and at that point plans to discuss potential opponents. But he conceded in a phone interview with The Associated Press late Tuesday that he's not optimistic about Mayweather for the spring.

"Manny is there, he wants to do the fight, and Floyd for whatever reason is not prepared to fight him, so we have to go on to the next best thing if Floyd remains unavailable," Arum said. "We'll see who's available and what the terms are and then we'll select an opponent. Hopefully it's Mayweather, but as the day goes by, it's not looking good."

Last edited by die hard!!! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:44 am 
Cruiserweight

flipgolfer wrote:

Im surprised the majority doesn't know Margarito is an American.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:56 am 
Heavyweight

elks wrote:
flipgolfer wrote:

Im surprised the majority doesn't know Margarito is an American.

Yes I know that he is an American, at least on ink. The same as Donaire and Viloria - but both claim they are Pinoys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 am 
Heavyweight

HBO REPORTS 1.15 MILLION BUYS FOR PACQUIAO VS. MARGARITO

Earlier today, HBO announced that Manny Pacquiao's dominant November 13th victory over Antonio Margarito generated a minimun of 1.15 million pay-per-view buys, resulting in $64 million in domestic revenue. This marks the third year in a row that Pacquiao was involved in a fight that generated at least 1 million buys, a feat matched only by former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content8879.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:54 am 
Cruiserweight

a ppv champion indeed. im already happy w/ 1.15M. thats a pretty good # already considering the facts that pac & marg are not americans, economy is not in good state, a lot may still have boycotted the fight due to marg's case and a lot may also have settled on watching it free online.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 am 
Heavyweight

leftstraight wrote:
a ppv champion indeed. im already happy w/ 1.15M. thats a pretty good # already considering the facts that pac & marg are not americans, economy is not in good state, a lot may still have boycotted the fight due to marg's case and a lot may also have settled on watching it free online.

+I'm so happy too bro. Hopefully MP's next fight will be against a well known, established, famous, and popular fighter to generate much more ppv buys and much more live gate attendance too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:31 am 
Heavyweight

Quote:
Kevin Lole of Yahoo Sports;

Amid his many troubles, Floyd Mayweather Jr. probably cracked a smile on Tuesday because he remains boxing’s undisputed pay-per-view champion.

Mark Taffet, the senior vice president of sports operations and pay-per-view at HBO, announced that the Nov. 13 fight between Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito sold 1.15 million units and generated $64 million in pay-per-view revenue.

The figure made Pacquiao the first boxer in the pay-per-view era to have a bout sell in excess of 1 million in three consecutive years. Pacquiao sold 1.25 million with Oscar De La Hoya in 2008 and 1.2 million with Miguel Cotto in 2009.

How can Floydie Boy smile when inspite of the movement to boycott the fight, it exceeded the Pacman – Clottey fight by 500k PPV sales?

Was the call for a boycott not effective at all or should we credit the success to Top Rank’s promotional skills?

If Margarito had not cheated before and with the catchweight in place, how would you have predicted the PPV sales? 1.5 million?

"Marcos, Hitler, Diktador, TUTA. Patalsikin ang bangkay ni Marcos sa LNMB". PATALSIKIN!!!
____