Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:07 am 
Heavyweight

Philippians 4:13

I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

This a good verse for Manny.
Since he is into this bible reading and preaching, this may help him and give him some inspiration.
This is the verse used by Holyfield to give him inspiration to win against Tyson.
It can be seen inscribed on Holyfield's robe while he was walking towards the ring.
Don Bone Jones also uses this verse too.
He even had this tattooed on his chest.
Even George Foreman thinks that this is what gives him the strength.
I hope Manny take a look at this.

Quote:
Message of Light Shines Through Dark Sport

The inscription on the baseball-style cap reads “Jesus is Lord”.

Similar hats have been worn by thousands of people proudly proclaiming their faith in Jesus Christ, and each in some way may have made a difference for their Lord. Naturally the more visible the hat, the more visible the message becomes.

Maybe it will be seen by a young boy in Africa, an old man in the Bronx, or a single mother in Northern Saskatchewan. Perhaps they will notice, perhaps they’ll wonder, perhaps they’ll ask for an explanation.

When two-time heavyweight boxing champ Evander Holyfield prepared for his pre-fight weigh-in with current WBA Champion, Mike Tyson, he knew the media would capture the moment for all the world to see.

Flexing his well-developed muscles and flashing his familiar ear-to-ear grin, it was nearly impossible to miss the “Jesus is Lord” hat atop Holyfield’s head as he stepped onto the scales.

Evangelism via a brutal sport like boxing? Certainly on the surface it's a sport which seems to be diametrically opposed to the Christian message. After all, the Bible says to love one another, not beat one another up. Surely God couldn't condone such brutality, could He?

According to Evander Holyfield He not only condones it, He blesses it. Holyfield claims God healed him of a heat ailment (a non-compliant ventricle or a stiff heart) which had forced him to retire in April, 1994 after a 12 round loss to Michael Moorer. Why? So he could come back and fight again. Tests at the Mayo Clinic in December, 1994 confirmed that some sort of supernatural healing did take place. Holyfield was subsequently granted a clean bill of health and a green light to return to the ring.

Return to the ring he did, on November 9th, winning ‘sports most coveted prize’ in a shocking upset over the heavily favored and seemingly invincible “Iron” Mike Tyson.

“Can you believe it? Do you believe it?” shouted the stunned television commentator at the conclusion of the fight. Indeed, the result was a shocker to just about everyone buy Holyfield and his Lord.

Prior to the fight Holyfield knew what people were thinking. “They’ve been saying that there’s no way I’m going to beat Tyson at the weakest point of my career, but when you are weak, the Lord is strong,” said Holyfield.

“This thing is more than a fight. This is what the Lord has in store for me.” Holyfield became only the second man in history to win the heavyweight championship title three times(along with Muhammad Ali) by scoring an 11th round TKO over Tyson.

Prayer was a major part of Holyfield’s strategy for fighting Tyson, a formidable boxer who puts many fighters away in the first round. “I prayed during training, I prayed when I got into the ring, I prayed when I was fighting him,” Holyfield said.

On many occasions Holyfield has said, “Boxing is 90 percent spiritual and 10 % physical.”

“It’s the spiritual aspect that gives the edge and an extra burst of energy to draw from. My victories are not achieved by my might, nor by my power, but by the Spirit of Christ who strengthens me.”

After the fight the interviewer for the television network broadcasting the fight to 147 countries, wanted Holyfield to talk about the night “apart from religion.” But “apart from religion,” there’s not much in the new champ’s life. A Christian since he was a young boy, Holyfield proceeded to praise Jesus for the victory, and to proclaim to millions that his God was the only true God. The latter may have been a reference to Mike Tyson’s Muslim convictions.

“I was led by the Spirit. Everybody though I was washed up, but with God, I wasn’t washed up,” says Holyfield, again wearing his Jesus is Lord cap for the cameras.

Inscribed on Holyfield's boxing robe and shorts is “Phil. 4:13,” the scripture verse that states: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” He also adds the reference to his autographs. Holyfield knew that since God can do all things, winning the world heavyweight championship wasn’t a leap of faith.

In the end the belt belonged to Holyfield but the glory belonged to God. He provided Evander Holyfield with the skill and determination to succeed at boxing. He also provided a platform for the gospel to reach the world.

KUPAL ANG KOKONTRA SA AKIN!
PUTANGINA NYO!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:30 am 
Heavyweight

Nice post, doc.

To people who would like to post in this thread:

Please note that the TS posted this under Manny Pacquiao General Discussion, and NOT under PRMO. Meaning, if you have no business believing in God and the Bible, then just ignore this thread.

:peace:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:34 am 
Cruiserweight

genetophile wrote:
Nice post, doc.

Please note that the TS posted this under Manny Pacquiao General Discussion, and NOT under PRMO. Meaning, if you have no business believing in God and the Bible, then just ignore this thread.

Image :mrgreen:

Ate Mamasan': "Isang ligo lang yan!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 am 
Heavyweight

tnx brothers maasahan talaga kayo. :D

PUTANGINA NYO!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 am 
Heavyweight

Instead of bashing Manny for what he believes in, i just thought it's better to give him some inspiration while he is fighting in the ring.
This is a message to Manny Pacquiao, hope he sees this. :D

PUTANGINA NYO!

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 am 
Heavyweight

I think Manny won't be having any more tattoos after his conversion to real Christianity..
He may embroider some Bible verses in his robe though.. :D
That remains to be seen..

I just hope he continues to read the Book of Life.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 am 
Heavyweight

docunso wrote:

If this is moved to PRMO bro, field day nina goreeng. :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 am 
Heavyweight

self_abuser wrote:
genetophile wrote:
Nice post, doc.

Image :mrgreen:

:biglaugh:

just clarifying bro. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 pm 
Welterweight

I thought Manny's favorite verse is Genesis 1:22 “Go out to the world and multiply.” :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 pm 
Heavyweight

genetophile wrote:
docunso wrote:

If this is moved to PRMO bro, field day nina goreeng. :biglaugh:

hehehe!
Wag naman sana.
Ala sa intensyon ko ang makipagtalo tungkol sa religion.
:D

PUTANGINA NYO!

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:23 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)

Greg Young, the boxing instructor at Fight 4Life Fitness and Boxing Ministry in Birmingham, Ala., told The Christian Post on Monday that he hopes Pacquiao will wait to retire until he fights Mayweather.

"I would hope that would happen pretty soon. I know if it [doesn't] happen pretty soon it probably never will happen," said Young.

In addition to teaching the inner-city youth of Birminham discipline through boxing, Fight 4Life also encourages young people through tutoring, a Bible/mentoring group and even a young mother's program.

Fight 4Life program participants are required to memorize and apply a "Participant's Pledge" to their lives. The pledge begins like this:

"I am a valuable and precious creation of God.
I am a leader, not just a follower.
I am my own role model follow me.
I will do great things through Christ Jesus.
I am created for greatness."

Young doesn't think Pacquiao should be concerned about how being a boxer will affect him as a Bible ambassador. He says that God can be glorified through boxing, though he too used to be criticized by some for "trying to hurt people" in the ring because he is a Christian.

But boxing isn't just fighting, Young suggests; it's a sport.

"It's more like ... football," he said. "I don't think them guys really hate each other, they're just trying to just win."

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/news/manny-pacquiao-mulls-retirement-from-boxing-to-be-bible-ambassador-69342/

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:25 pm 
Heavyweight

joeyj wrote:

Greg Young, the boxing instructor at Fight 4Life Fitness and Boxing Ministry in Birmingham, Ala., told The Christian Post on Monday that he hopes Pacquiao will wait to retire until he fights Mayweather.

"I would hope that would happen pretty soon. I know if it [doesn't] happen pretty soon it probably never will happen," said Young.

In addition to teaching the inner-city youth of Birminham discipline through boxing, Fight 4Life also encourages young people through tutoring, a Bible/mentoring group and even a young mother's program.

Fight 4Life program participants are required to memorize and apply a "Participant's Pledge" to their lives. The pledge begins like this:

"I am a valuable and precious creation of God.
I am a leader, not just a follower.
I am my own role model follow me.
I will do great things through Christ Jesus.
I am created for greatness."

Young doesn't think Pacquiao should be concerned about how being a boxer will affect him as a Bible ambassador. He says that God can be glorified through boxing, though he too used to be criticized by some for "trying to hurt people" in the ring because he is a Christian.

But boxing isn't just fighting, Young suggests; it's a sport.

"It's more like ... football," he said. "I don't think them guys really hate each other, they're just trying to just win."

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/news/manny-pacquiao-mulls-retirement-from-boxing-to-be-bible-ambassador-69342/

nice read bro JoeyJ.

:toast: :D

PUTANGINA NYO!

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 pm 
Heavyweight

I want to clear this to all who is reading this thread.
I have no intention of argueing about religion.
I support Manny's decision to change.
If he decides to retire i will still be his fan.
If he decides to stay a little longer I will be much happier.

Manny Pacquiao Tnx from docunso! :D

PUTANGINA NYO!

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:40 pm 
Heavyweight

Location: Bacoor, Cavite or M.M. PACMAN Believer #160 (PB-0160)
Pacman Taking Bible Studies Seriously

Hebrews 10:26
New Living Translation (NLT)
26 Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins.

see hereat video: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/sports/02/13/12/pacman-taking-bible-studies-seriously

::: :D :::

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:44 pm 
Heavyweight

magsusuot pa kaya c manny ng crucifix sa mga laban nya?