Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 am 
Bantamweight

http://www.boxingscene.com/marquez-donaire-on-potential-big-show-on-july-14th--49795

Gesta vs Juan Manuel Marquez. Donaire vs Victor Terrazas, and Brian Viloria in Mexico vs Philippines at Cowboys Stadium in July. Thoughts?

Mercito Gesta vs Juan Manuel Marquez
Gesta has no business going from Ricardo Domingues to fighting Marquez, but losing to Marquez, as long as it's not ktfo, won't kill Gesta's stock in my eyes. If Gesta pulls off the improbable and wins then us Pinoys have a new star. Win, lose or draw, this fight doesn't hurt Gesta.

Donaire vs Terrazas
Lame fight and mismatch but to keep with the theme of Mexico vs Philippines, is a more even match up than Donaire v Arce (who is past prime and smaller) imo. Rather see Donaire vs Nishioka here, break the whole theme.

Brian Viloria vs Hernan Marquez
Only good matchup I see so far. Marquez is the favorite but I think Brian gives him a good fight.

Johnriel Casimero vs Archie Solis (wish list as undercard)
Solis is still injured. But this is an undercard I would like to see. Archie is proven but Casimero has a lot of potential imo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:17 am 
Heavyweight

marquez won't gain anything from gesta.

gesta still has to work his way up the ladder and get experience....
marquez will dissect and annihilate gesta :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 am 
Cruiserweight

freewheeze wrote:

Jmm will make gesta a bum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 am 
Heavyweight

gesta might surprise, what he needs to do is fight like the rough pacquiao, box like an unpredictable whirlwind and ctach marquez early with multiple heavy punches

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:38 am 
Cruiserweight

I'm no fan of Gesta but I think he should get this fight. This is the only time that he can face somebody like JMM. I will love to see him fight JMM than fighting those bums that TR's feeding him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:41 am 
Light Heavyweight

Tough match for Gesta but it's a win win situation for him. His stock will rise higher even if he loses as long as he gives Marquez a competitive fight. Let's get it on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:42 am 
Cruiserweight

studstar wrote:
gesta might surprise, what he needs to do is fight like the rough pacquiao, box like an unpredictable whirlwind and ctach marquez early with multiple heavy punches

Gesta might surprise jmm in the first few rounds but jmms resiliency and great tactics will always prevail in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:45 am 
Heavyweight

This is Gesta's chance to superstardom. I hope he prepares himself well and make the most of this chance. JMM can be beaten and Chris John has done that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:51 am 
Cruiserweight

SHOEGAZER wrote:
studstar wrote:

Gesta might surprise jmm in the first few rounds but jmms resiliency and great tactics will always prevail in the end.

PICK-UP LINE:

Q: FILIPINO KA BA ?

A: BAKIT ?

Q: MUKA KA KASING PINOY CRAB.

O! O! JOKE ONLY, BRO.

MASYADO KA KASING SERYOSONG FAN NG UMIINOM NG IHI ? 8)

PEACE. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:58 am 
Cruiserweight

I feel that this is a complete mismatch and Gesta will get badly hurt in this fight.

"Jim don't come up here trying to give me no badass questions, try to degrade me.."

"Nah he never hurt me man, I'm Undestructible.." lol

"who's next!!! I got milk baby" lmao

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 am 
Light Heavyweight

SIOUX1104 wrote:
Tough match for Gesta but it's a win win situation for him. His stock will rise higher even if he loses as long as he gives Marquez a competitive fight. Let's get it on.

Don't feed Gesta to the wolves. He has a potential to be a very good boxer, but he has to work harder up the ladder. It is not wise to take too much risk now. He needs to mature as a fighter, gain experience, discover his style, broaden his repertoire and follow the road map to his champioship goal. Marquez will defeat him, no doubt, it will damage the potential marketability of Gesta. The first defeat of a boxer will have far reaching psychological impact on him which most if not all succumb to and have great difficulty in overcoming its ill effects.

Because boxing is primarily a business proposition, Marquez will not risk it with Gesta and imperil the former's desire to meet Pacquiao for the fourth time and collect hefty purse that goes with that elite fight, unless Gesta is willing to take the fight as a sparring session with a caveat that he has to hand it to Marquez in the end. He may even collect more moolah by doing a Likar Ramos act. This is not what Pinoy fans want, in fact we vehemently object to this practice by managers and promoters of our boxers wherein they cash in immediately without thinking of the boxer's welfare. We never want it with all our fighters although this is generally what is happening in the Philippine boxing scene. Gesta has the potential because he has the technique, what he lacks is the killer instinct that only a good coach could develop in him. He has to have that killer instinct to instill fear among his would be opponents. A boxer wins fights merely by eliciting fear to his opponent who becomes confuse or surrender the fight out of fear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:09 am 
Heavyweight

lightsOUT wrote:
I feel that this is a complete mismatch and Gesta will get badly hurt in this fight.

maybe, but then again maybe not. like i mentioned i think if gesta plays the unpredictability card he might surprise marquez with ko-level punches. he is young and would have the toughness to take the match until the last round. marquez is not getting any younger. with marquez at near-40, a bull strong gesta fighting for his life and career is a big big challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:28 am 
Light Heavyweight

SHOEGAZER wrote:
freewheeze wrote:

Jmm will make gesta a bum.

Jmm almost made Pacman a bum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:37 am 
Heavyweight

pranzer wrote:
SIOUX1104 wrote:

Don't feed Gesta to the wolves. He has a potential to be a very good boxer, but he has to work harder up the ladder. It is not wise to take too much risk now. He needs to mature as a fighter, gain experience, discover his style, broaden his repertoire and follow the road map to his champioship goal. Marquez will defeat him, no doubt, it will damage the potential marketability of Gesta. The first defeat of a boxer will have far reaching psychological impact on him which most if not all succumb to and have great difficulty in overcoming its ill effects.

Because boxing is primarily a business proposition, Marquez will not risk it with Gesta and imperil the former's desire to meet Pacquiao for the fourth time and collect hefty purse that goes with that elite fight, unless Gesta is willing to take the fight as a sparring session with a caveat that he has to hand it to Marquez in the end. He may even collect more moolah by doing a Likar Ramos act. This is not what Pinoy fans want, in fact we vehemently object to this practice by managers and promoters of our boxers wherein they cash in immediately without thinking of the boxer's welfare. We never want it with all our fighters although this is generally what is happening in the Philippine boxing scene. Gesta has the potential because he has the technique, what he lacks is the killer instinct that only a good coach could develop in him. He has to have that killer instinct to instill fear among his would be opponents. A boxer wins fights merely by eliciting fear to his opponent who becomes confuse or surrender the fight out of fear.

Good post bro.pranzer.But when Pacquiao was matched against Barrera
the first time,wasn't he fed to a wolf ? Gesta could be a huge underdog
against JMM but his style will pose problems to JMM.In this kind of
situation,boxing stars are born and Gesta should grab this chance of a
lifetime.But i doubt if JMM will agree to this fight-high risk and low
reward.Only Pacquiao is in his mind whether he's sleeping,eating,
travelling,romancing his wife,peeing,etc.It's Pacquiao ! Only Pacquiao!!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:45 am 
Heavyweight

gesta would be lucky to even shake hands with jmm :biglaugh: