Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:08 pm 
Cruiserweight

say hi for me to your greek captain sailor noel...next time you dry dock, buy some vaseline... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 pm 
Cruiserweight

noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
The issue here is not about about whether or not Pacquiao is rich and we are poor. And just because because his English is OK with you it doesn't necessarily mean it is also OK with the rest of the other Filipinos around the world.

Pacquiao is one of the most popular Filipinos right now. We are very proud of him for what he has achieved and still will achieve.

However, the chink in his armour is his English ability or rather lack of it. It is no secret that because of that "weakness" he has been and still is the object of ridicule and jokes not only in the Philppines but also worldwide. Some of the jokes (especially on American TV) are downright racist and below-the-belt.

Us, ordinary Filipinos, the people Pacquiao is supposed to represent, have felt the embarassment and humiliation. But, aside from just being upset and angry at the people who are making fun of him by making him look and sound stupid, there is nothing much else that we can do about it.

One of the best ways that Pacquiao could do is to hire the services of a good interpreter during interviews. That would help a great deal in bolstering up his personality not only as the world's best pound-for-pound boxer but also as high-ranking public official of the country.

im telling you, Pacquiao doesn't need it. all he need is his fists. get it? he is not a business man nor a salesman he is a boxer. let anyone who is going to fight him do their trash talking, it's part of the show. Pacquiao english is enough IMHO. he became popular because of boxing and not anything else. boxer doesn't need to be fluent in english. he just need to be fluent inside the ring! 8)

During interviews, we usually use words to let ourselves be understood. Not with fists, okay? Unless, of course, the intention is to beat all the interviewers to a pulp.

Boxing is a business, a very big business. People like Bob Arum, or Pacquiao himself can confirm that to you. This is not about trash talking either. It is simply making a proper account of oneself by using decent and understandable English during interviews, rather than making the embarrassing impression that he is stupid and/or a big joke outside the ring.

There’s no doubt that Pacquiao became who he is because of boxing and “not anything else”. As to “boxer doesn’t need to be fluent in English”, I’m with you on that one. That is why if a boxer is not fluent in English, he should admit that honestly so that he can take the most logical step and that is the hiring of a good interpreter who can ably help him out during interviews.

blah blah yadddddaaaa yaddddaaaaaa yadddaaaa!!!!

ma'am may i go out?

Image :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:42 pm 
Light Heavyweight

noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
The issue here is not about about whether or not Pacquiao is rich and we are poor. And just because because his English is OK with you it doesn't necessarily mean it is also OK with the rest of the other Filipinos around the world.

Pacquiao is one of the most popular Filipinos right now. We are very proud of him for what he has achieved and still will achieve.

However, the chink in his armour is his English ability or rather lack of it. It is no secret that because of that "weakness" he has been and still is the object of ridicule and jokes not only in the Philppines but also worldwide. Some of the jokes (especially on American TV) are downright racist and below-the-belt.

Us, ordinary Filipinos, the people Pacquiao is supposed to represent, have felt the embarassment and humiliation. But, aside from just being upset and angry at the people who are making fun of him by making him look and sound stupid, there is nothing much else that we can do about it.

One of the best ways that Pacquiao could do is to hire the services of a good interpreter during interviews. That would help a great deal in bolstering up his personality not only as the world's best pound-for-pound boxer but also as high-ranking public official of the country.

im telling you, Pacquiao doesn't need it. all he need is his fists. get it? he is not a business man nor a salesman he is a boxer. let anyone who is going to fight him do their trash talking, it's part of the show. Pacquiao english is enough IMHO. he became popular because of boxing and not anything else. boxer doesn't need to be fluent in english. he just need to be fluent inside the ring! 8)

During interviews, we usually use words to let ourselves be understood. Not with fists, okay? Unless, of course, the intention is to beat all the interviewers to a pulp.

Boxing is a business, a very big business. People like Bob Arum, or Pacquiao himself can confirm that to you. This is not about trash talking either. It is simply making a proper account of oneself by using decent and understandable English during interviews, rather than making the embarrassing impression that he is stupid and/or a big joke outside the ring.

There’s no doubt that Pacquiao became who he is because of boxing and “not anything else”. As to “boxer doesn’t need to be fluent in English”, I’m with you on that one. That is why if a boxer is not fluent in English, he should admit that honestly so that he can take the most logical step and that is the hiring of a good interpreter who can ably help him out during interviews.

let's get it straight... do you want to be Pacquiao's interpreter? if so, you should apply to him, you don't need to tell people here what Pacquiao should do. or you just want to look good more than Pacquiao because you think you are better in english, which is which? ...just asking 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:44 pm 
Heavyweight

nakita na ba yung english ni Manny? :mrgreen:

KUPAL ANG KOKONTRA SA AKIN!
PUTANGINA NYO!

BOYCOTT CHINA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 pm 
Cruiserweight

docunso wrote:
nakita na ba yung english ni Manny? :mrgreen:

sa internet! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:22 am 
Heavyweight

hard_rook:

let's get it straight... do you want to be Pacquiao's interpreter? if so, you should apply to him, you don't need to tell people here what Pacquiao should do. or you just want to look good more than Pacquiao because you think you are better in english, which is which? ...just asking

No. I don't want to be an interpreter of Pacquiao.

I am not telling him what he should do per se. I am simply doing what most posers do in a forum would normally do, which is voicing/writing out opinions and, yes, giving unsolicited advice.

Manny Pacquiao is a public figure, and a very famous one at that. Aside from the accolades, I am sure he is getting more than enough of his share of criticisms and unsolicited advices. And he is a busy man who has better things to do. Do you think he will actually have time enough to read this thread?

Pacquiao's English is the issue here. And, we are discussing it, in English (most of the time, anyway) because we are required by the moderators to use English in this forum. So if it is so happened that my English or anyone else's English is better than that of Pacquiao's, then that is something that is only inevitable or incidental. But, the intention is not in showing off, okay?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:53 am 
Light Heavyweight

noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook:

let's get it straight... do you want to be Pacquiao's interpreter? if so, you should apply to him, you don't need to tell people here what Pacquiao should do. or you just want to look good more than Pacquiao because you think you are better in english, which is which? ...just asking

I am not telling him what he should do per se. I am simply doing what most posers do in a forum would normally do, which is voicing/writing out opinions and, yes, giving unsolicited advice.

Manny Pacquiao is a public figure, and a very famous one at that. Aside from the accolades, I am sure he is getting more than enough of his share of criticisms and unsolicited advices. And he is a busy man who has better things to do. Do you think he will actually have time enough to read this thread?

Pacquiao's English is the issue here. And, we are discussing it, in English (most of the time, anyway) because we are required by the moderators to use English in this forum. So if it is so happened that my English or anyone else's English is better than that of Pacquiao's, then that is something that is only inevitable or incidental. But, the intention is not in showing off, okay?

as i have said, "boxing is not about english" or interviews. Pacquiao's english is more than enough for a boxer. he is not american. be contented that Pacquiao is giving his best inside the ring. don't ask for more. if he don't want an interpreter so be it. inside the square ring is most important during a boxing, not the interviews. he should have better stamina than english, and he is so happy answering question by himself because if not... don't you think he already took an interpreter long time ago? if you ashamed of PAC english, well, it is you who've got the problem, not him 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:07 am 
Heavyweight

hard_rook wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook wrote:

let's get it straight... do you want to be Pacquiao's interpreter? if so, you should apply to him, you don't need to tell people here what Pacquiao should do. or you just want to look good more than Pacquiao because you think you are better in english, which is which? ...just asking 8)

I think Noel is gunning for the Interpreter job. Jeez! He should at least be honest about it and send directly his CV to Manny for consideration. Hehe ang dami pa kasing pasakalye eh. :peace: :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:23 am 
Middleweight

what's the fuzz about Manny's English? there are on two things that he needs to understand, and these are as follows -

Referee: defend yourself at all times
Roach: knock him out

or if his trainer is Roger or Floyd Mayweather senior, it will be - knock the mother f@cker out

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:27 am 
Light Heavyweight

Pokman wrote:
what's the fuzz about Manny's English? there are on two things that he needs to understand, and these are as follows -

Referee: defend yourself at all times
Roach: knock him out

or if his trainer is Roger or Floyd Mayweather senior, it will be - knock the mother f@cker out

+1
and buboy can translate that i guess... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:47 am 
Heavyweight

I just can't really get it. What's the big ruckus about Manny's English? As long as his English is understandable and he will be able to convey his message to the listeners, then it's perfectly fine. There's no need for Manny to become an exceptionally fluent English speaker. Besides it is not a requirement in his being a boxer.

Only Filipinos are very much particular in grammar and pronunciation. Person who are fluents in English are often time perceived as smart, while, those who are not good with it are labeled as lesser individuals. :whisper:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:33 am 
Light Heavyweight

Manny's english is very well rehearsed no matter what the question is. Props to him for making an effort. His appearances at the Jimmy Kimmel and Pierce Morgan are a bit painful to watch as it kinda stereotypes Filipinos way of speaking english. But the payoff here for him is his marketing to the non-boxing fans who tend to accept him more just for speaking the language unlike non-english former boxing stars, Julio Cesar Chavez and Felix Trinidad. They could'vd been a lot bigger had they made an effort to learn english.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:44 am 
Heavyweight

hard_rook wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook:

as i have said, "boxing is not about english" or interviews. Pacquiao's english is more than enough for a boxer. he is not american. be contented that Pacquiao is giving his best inside the ring. don't ask for more. if he don't want an interpreter so be it. inside the square ring is most important during a boxing, not the interviews. he should have better stamina than english, and he is so happy answering question by himself because if not... don't you think he already took an interpreter long time ago? if you ashamed of PAC english, well, it is you who've got the problem, not him 8)

Even if boxing is not about English, English is still that little thing that matters. It's only your opinion that Pacquiao's English is more than enough as a boxer. There are many others who don't see it that way. This thread won't be born and won't be as long as it is now, if there is already no doubt about his English ability.

We are immensely proud of his achievements but we cannot just lay back and pretend not to hear and know anything about the criticisms and jokes that are levelled against him due to his poor English. Of course, we cannot force him to do what we wanted him to but at least he will know that there is that something that is not necessarily outside of boxinbg that he need to improve on a lot.

Being ashamed of one's English is not a problem. It is simply a normal reaction especially if people make fun of and invent sick jokes about it. To delude oneself that the problem doesn't exist by simply ignoring it, won't make the problem just go away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:58 am 
Light Heavyweight

noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook:

Even if boxing is not about English, English is still that little thing that matters. It's only your opinion that Pacquiao's English is more than enough as a boxer. There are many others who don't see it that way. This thread won't be born and won't be as long as it is now, if there is already no doubt about his English ability.

We are immensely proud of his achievements but we cannot just lay back and pretend not to hear and know anything about the criticisms and jokes that are levelled against him due to his poor English. Of course, we cannot force him to do what we wanted him to but at least he will know that there is that something that is not necessarily outside of boxinbg that he need to improve on a lot.

Being ashamed of one's English is not a problem. It is simply a normal reaction especially if people make fun of and invent sick jokes about it. To delude oneself that the problem doesn't exist by simply ignoring it, won't make the problem just go away.

Why Manny Realizes the Importance of Learning and Being Good in English:

1. He is a global Icon in Boxing and all of sports

2. He talks to a lot of non-Pinoys

3. He is in government where English is important as a medium

4. He knows that lots of money is not enough to lift him up from his class of origin and be acceptable to higher society

5. He wants to be a lawyer. (He did speak of this desire a few days ago over tv. Probably because of his political ambition, brush with Miriam, unsavory comment of Enrile, proceedings of CJ Corona Impeachment trial, etc.)

So, don't limit Manny's sphere of interests by saying that he is just a boxer ergo he does not need to learn better English. It is about time that you accept him not only as a boxer but more than that as he marches on to amazing feats outside of pugilism. He knows better than most, including the likes of Calabao_mababaw=kuting pa and their ilk, that he should not content himself with Calabao English and spouting trash as he opens his mouth to be heard and understood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:01 am 
Light Heavyweight

noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook wrote:
noel3393 wrote:
hard_rook:

We are immensely proud of his achievements but we cannot just lay back and pretend not to hear and know anything about the criticisms and jokes that are levelled against him due to his poor English. Of course, we cannot force him to do what we wanted him to but at least he will know that there is that something that is not necessarily outside of boxing that he need to improve on a lot.

It's only your opinion that Pacquiao's English is more than enough as a boxer.
yes, as i've said earlier "IMHO" i don't deny that.

There are many others who don't see it that way.
where are they? i haven't seen them except you.

but at least he will know that there is that something that is not necessarily outside of boxinbg that he need to improve on a lot.
how you know he will know when you yourself just said this... "Do you think he will actually have time enough to read this thread?"

To delude oneself that the problem doesn't exist by simply ignoring it, won't make the problem just go away.
which is? ...what problem?

Even if boxing is not about English, English is still that little thing that matters.
there you go, you just nailed it! give it up bro. english has nothing to do with boxing! 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next