Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 pm 
Lightweight

dang...cotto was out of sync....could not find his rhythm in the bout....had some moments....why wasn't he using his jab....to set his punches...wrong tactic imho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Heavyweight

ajol829 wrote:
dang...cotto was out of sync....could not find his rhythm in the bout....had some moments....why wasn't he using his jab....to set his punches...wrong tactic imho

That's what happens when a once-skilled boxer is past his prime. He becomes awkward and falls a step behind. His footwork and reflexes don't coordinate with his body anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:00 pm 
Middleweight

ajol829 wrote:

Trout happens to fight intelligently using his long reach to keep Cotto at bay thats why you did not see more of Cotto jabbing but cutting the ring off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:05 pm 
Light Heavyweight

ajol829 wrote:

The same thing how Manny disabled Cotto's jab with a left lead...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Lildevalt wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

That's what happens when a once-skilled boxer is past his prime. He becomes awkward and falls a step behind. His footwork and reflexes don't coordinate with his body anymore.

Cotto has a great jab. But in Trout you're talking of a guy who has 4" reach advantage who is also adept at throwing the jab and has probably the faster hands. Cotto also couldn't outmuscle Trout who smothered Cotto whenever the latter got inside.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:09 pm 
Heavyweight

krayz211 wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

That i dont agree my friend. Pac ate a lot of jabs in that fight. Trout didn't throw left leads that disabled Cotto, his bodyshots, right hooks and jabs did.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:11 pm 
Cruiserweight

he got Pac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:13 pm 
Heavyweight

Emmanuel53 wrote:
Lildevalt wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

Cotto has a great jab. But in Trout you're talking of a guy who has 4" reach advantage who is also adept at throwing the jab and has probably the faster hands. Cotto also couldn't outmuscle Trout who smothered Cotto whenever the latter got inside.

Well, that would be a case in point but Cotto was lunging his left from Paris in that fight. He couldn't pull the trigger as much as he wanted even when he had Trout trapped against the ropes. There was a considerable gap in his offense and he tired out early in the fight. There's a huge difference between a young Cotto with a good jab and an old, shot Cotto with a good jab. Every bit of it showed up in later rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Cruiserweight

Cotto's hope:

Angel Guillermo Heredia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 pm 
Middleweight

CarneSeca wrote:
Cotto's hope:

Angel Guillermo Heredia

yup his tired especially the championship rounds, he needs a good S & C +++ trainer :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:23 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Lildevalt wrote:
krayz211 wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

That i dont agree my friend. Pac ate a lot of jabs in that fight. Trout didn't throw left leads that disabled Cotto, his bodyshots, right hooks and jabs did.

Manny somehow disabled Cotto's powerful jabs, he did used his jabs in the later rounds while backing up but the jabs doesnt have any power on it anymore because of fear....

Trout in the early rounds was very successful in throwin left straights in the middle while his head positions outside Cotto's jab everytime he throws it...I also agree with your observation kuya that the body shots also helped a lot..but you can also watch the reply to see what im taking about....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm 
Cruiserweight

Lildevalt wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

he is a ballooned middle weight... he is good at welter where his sync was good..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 pm 
Heavyweight

Emmanuel53 wrote:
Lildevalt wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

Quote:
Well, that would be a case in point but Cotto was lunging his left from Paris in that fight. He couldn't pull the trigger as much as he wanted even when he had Trout trapped against the ropes. There was a considerable gap in his offense and he tired out early in the fight. There's a huge difference between a young Cotto with a good jab and an old, shot Cotto with a good jab. Every bit of it showed up in later rounds.

Probably so, but Cotto always had problems with his stamina even when he was younger. And true his age showed because he couldn't put his combinations together consistently, and his left hooks were wider and less compact, but power is the last thing that goes away from an aging figther and Trout was able to absorb Cotto's shots well.
At light middleweight ., I feel that even a younger Cotto would have problems with Austin Trout.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:33 pm 
Heavyweight

Lildevalt wrote:
krayz211 wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

krayz211 wrote:
Manny somehow disabled Cotto's powerful jabs, he did used his jabs in the later rounds while backing up but the jabs doesnt have any power on it....

Trout in the early rounds was very successful in throwin left straights in the middle while his head positions outside Cotto's jab everytime he throws it...I also agree with your observation kuya that the body shots also helped a lot..but you can also watch the reply to see what im taking about....

In what specific rounds did Manny outjab Cotto? Compubox is telling me that Cotto outlanded manny by 19 jabs. Cotto's stiff jabs against Manny's tapping jabs. I'm not busy at the moment and i could use a few minutes of my time replaying what i'd missed.

On fresh legs, Cotto was doing good too in the early rounds. He managed to cut the ring well and connected some shots of his own. From mid rounds to the end, Cotto's stamina faded and those body shots he took from Trout took their toll.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:41 pm 
Heavyweight

Lildevalt wrote:
krayz211 wrote:
ajol829 wrote:

Manny somehow disabled Cotto's powerful jabs, he did used his jabs in the later rounds while backing up but the jabs doesnt have any power on it anymore because of fear....

Quote:

The left lead from a southpaw would travel a longer distance than the jab from an orthodox fighter.