Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:02 am 
Heavyweight

If you check the Ring Ratings, the first thing that immediately jumps out (outside of Pacquiao falling really low) is that Adrien Broner, a good fighter but has not fought the big-names, is now ranked number 5 although he was nowhere near the top 10 a week before.

I think this is an absolute farce. Come on, Ring Ratings panel (Mike Coppinger, Martin Mulcahey, Mark Ortega, Ryan Maquinana, Ryan Songalia, Harry Pratt, Anson Wainwright, Joe Koizumi, Corey Erdman). Please explain in detail the inclusion of Adrien Broner.

First, what is he doing in the top 10? Why not Brian Viloria, who has fought several elite-level opponents? The best fighter on Broner's resume is Antonio DeMarco. And for sure, DeMarco, a good fighter more on the level of Jeffrey Mathebula, is not an elite fighter.

Second, why is Broner ranked higher than Donaire, who definitely has a much better resume? Come on now! Antonio DeMarco, Vicente Escobedo, and Eloy Perez (Broner's) over Toshiaki Nishioka, Fernando Montiel, and Vic Darchinyan (Donaire's).

Pound for Pound

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Record: 43-0-0 (26 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 1 | Last Week: 2 | Weeks On List: 64
Titles: WBC welterweight, WBA jr. middleweight

2. Andre Ward
Record: 26-0-0 (14 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 2 | Last Week: 3 | Weeks On List: 86
Titles: RING, WBC, WBA super middleweight

3. Juan Manuel Marquez
Record: 55-6-1 (40 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 3 | Last Week: 6 | Weeks On List: 296
Titles: WBA, WBO jr. welterweight

4. Sergio Martinez
Record: 50-2-2 (28 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 4 | Last Week: 4 | Weeks On List: 136
Titles: RING, WBC middleweight

5. Adrien Broner
Record: 25-0-0 (21 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 5 | Last Week: NR | Weeks On List: 1
lightweight

6. Nonito Donaire
Record: 30-1-0 (19 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 6 | Last Week: 5 | Weeks On List: 188
Title: WBO, IBF jr. featherweight

7. Manny Pacquiao
Record: 54-5-2 (38 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 7 | Last Week: 2 | Weeks On List: 471
welterweight

8. Wladimir Klitschko
Record: 59-3-0 (50 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 8 | Last Week: 7 | Weeks On List: 120
Titles: RING, IBF, WBO, WBA heavyweight

9. Timothy Bradley
Record: 29-0-0 (12 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 9 | Last Week: 8 | Weeks On List: 116
Titles: WBO welterweight

10. Robert Guerrero
Record: 31-1-1 (18 KOs)
Ranking: This Week: 10 | Last Week: NR | Weeks On List: 1
welterweight

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/ratings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:04 am 
Heavyweight

kaw na maging amerikano :lol: :lol:

trans: he "deserved it" :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 am 
Light Heavyweight

8) ring is owned by Oscar delahoya, broner is under his promotion... as simple as that... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:11 am 
Heavyweight

zeke_gabriel wrote:
kaw na maging amerikano :lol: :lol:

trans: he "deserved it" :biglaugh:

Yeah, he "deserved" it. Why not! Hehe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:12 am 
Cruiserweight

viloria defeated miranda, segura, romero and marquez, impressive for a 2 year span.. bradley and broner? seriously? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 am 
Heavyweight

5. Adrien Broner???

Daniel Ponce De Leon taught him boxing didn't he?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:33 am 
Light Heavyweight

I think the number one spot is still vacant. JMM and Floyd should be tied at number two.

1. Vacant
2. JMM/Floyd
3. Andre ward
4. Sergio Martinez
5. Nonito donaire
6. Wladimir
7.manny Pacquiao
8. Brian villoria
9. Danny Garcia/bronner
10 Tim bradley. ( some kinda joke but a win is a win :lol: )

Why putting up Floyd on top who fought only once a year? And that's not all, putting up his wannabe at number five overtaking nonito manny and wladimir. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ring magazine is no longer a bible of boxing to me. It's more like a magazine based on the ideas of wannabe experts. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:42 am 
Middleweight

gabbi wrote:
viloria defeated miranda, segura, romero and marquez, impressive for a 2 year span.. bradley and broner? seriously? :lol:

AND WHAT'S FUNNIER IS THAT THE RING MAGAZINE FLYWEIGHT CHAMP IS TOSHIYUKI IGARASHI AND VILORIA IS JUST THE NUMBER ONE CONTENDER.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 am 
Heavyweight

Thunder_knuckles wrote:
5. Adrien Broner???

Daniel Ponce De Leon taught him boxing didn't he?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:07 pm 
Heavyweight

TS, did it cross your mind why Pacquiao is still in the Top 10? When Roy Jones, Jr., p4p no. 1 for many years, was knocked out cold by Tarver, he was booted out of the Top 10 immediately. Similar with Top 3/5 p4pounders like Hopkins, Mosley and Dela hoya when they only lost by points.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 pm 
Heavyweight

Lildevalt wrote:
TS, did it cross your mind why Pacquiao is still in the Top 10? When Roy Jones, Jr., p4p no. 1 for many years, was knocked out cold by Tarver, he was booted out of the Top 10 immediately. Similar with Top 3/5 p4pounders like Hopkins, Mosley and Dela hoya when they only lost by points.

Different generations have different issues to deal with. That was a long time ago, and I believe they have a different group of people in the Ring panel now.

My questions deal with current issues that I hope will be clarified by the current Ring panel. Why is Broner listed in the top 10 when other fighters have better records? Why not Brian Viloria, and why is he ranked higher than Donaire?

I just want a clear, honest-to-goodness clarification from at least one of the panelist. I hope this gets their attention.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:27 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Adrien Broner as #5, higher than Donaire, Pacquiao and Klitschko is crazy... :lol:

I think this update was the worse...

But if I will rank them, #1 will still be vacant and Ward will be the #2...

It's just that many people are foolish enough to believe that he's great...

He's a coward cherry-picking gay...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:14 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I'm on the ratings committee for The Ring, and can tell you that pound for pound is strictly up to the discretion now of Chuck Giampa. I have advocated for Viloria's inclusion ever since he beat Giovani Segura, but to no avail. I personally don't put much stock into pound for pound but also agree with everyone here that Adrien Broner has done nothing to merit his being rated so highly. Giampa, who has had a brilliant career as a judge and TV commentator, is in the wrong on this matter, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Things happen. You live and you learn. The only thing he can do is rejuvenate himself and bounce back like a true champion," stated undefeated pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather, who shared his thoughts on Manny Pacquiao's shocking 6th round knockout loss at the hands of Juan Manuel Marquez. Although he has yet to actually see the fight, Mayweather praised the performances of both fighters and offered some words of advice for the 8-division world champion.

"Marquez is a true champion, Manny Pacquiao is a true champion, both of them went out there and put on a good performance, and that's a good thing for the sport of boxing," Mayweather commented. "I wish Pacquiao nothing but the best. I wish that he can bounce back and he can recoup from this. In the sport of boxing, you have to really dedicate yourself to your craft. You have to really, really dedicate yourself to your craft. I think he's got so many different things on the outside that he worries about, you know. But it was a good thing that he was able to come into the sport, you know, piggyback off my name, and get a bunch of endorsement deals and make a good living. That's a great thing."

As far as the mega-fight with the Filipino icon is concerned, Mayweather suggests the manner in which Pacquiao was knocked out probably means he has a lot more to think about, and a long way to go, before that fight is ever a possibility again. "Pacquiao's focus should be trying to take a vacation, get his mind right, and get a few tune-up fights so he can bounce back," he explained. "I'm not here to talk bad about Pacquiao. I feel bad for him, honestly. I really feel bad for him. There's a difference in the ways you can get knocked out. See, when a guy gets knocked out and he can get up, they sit him on his stool, they rub his back, he go home and ice himself, you know, he go to the hospital and get checked out and he's okay, that's one thing. But when you gotta wake a guy up with smelling salt and he got a concussion and he gotta go to the hospital over night, that's crucial. I mean, that's close to the death."

Mayweather added, "Hopefully he's okay. My prayers go out to the Pacquiao family. I know he loves the sport of boxing, so hopefully he can bounce back."

CATCHY IT AINT ???

Our universe is one of the Billion universes out there.......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:52 pm 
Heavyweight

asian_sensation wrote:
I'm on the ratings committee for The Ring, and can tell you that pound for pound is strictly up to the discretion now of Chuck Giampa. I have advocated for Viloria's inclusion ever since he beat Giovani Segura, but to no avail. I personally don't put much stock into pound for pound but also agree with everyone here that Adrien Broner has done nothing to merit his being rated so highly. Giampa, who has had a brilliant career as a judge and TV commentator, is in the wrong on this matter, I believe.

Thanks for the clarification, Ryan.

Wow! So only one man decides who gets on top of the pound-for-pound rankings, eh? Wow, just wow! If Ring Magazine wants more credibility, they better have a panel assigned to such task.

Yes, Giampa may have corrected the rankings a little bit; still Broner at number 6 is still way too high. In fact, he should not be in the top 10. Viloria deserves to be there, maybe Mares. But Broner?