Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am 
Middleweight

There is no stopping Manny from making a ring return just like the way he handles his political, marriage, and spiritual life. Like any other fan who prefers him to retire it is also imminent to ponder on what would be my disposition of his return.

For me, as a fan of his hard work, determination, and physical attributes - which unfortunately declines gradually - I would still be hoping that he would make a triumphant return. As a Filipino it's necessary to rekindle those positive attributes that we are known for. But for his return I would strongly recommend the following:

1.) Get an assistant coach that could help freddie layout a good training camp and fight plan for the next bout. I'm quite sure that he would not change freddie as hi main coach for mutual and psychological reason.

2.) Take buboy out of his corner on fight night. No offense to his long-time buddy but I think he's not of a help to Manny on the training level. The truth is, he has become Manny's distraction in the corner for he most of the time gives instruction in panic tone before roach does. Sometimes buboy would show his distressing emotion when Manny is in trouble in the fight. It would also be an insult and distraction to freddie having buboy in the corner taking charge of the instruction most of the time.

3.) Follow Ariza's method diligently. Most of the time on Ariza's interview he would stress how Manny neglects his method of conditioning. It takes a toll on him as the result of his 4th bout with Marquez. I think Manny should trust Scientific method of conditioning for it significantly provides huge advantage in the fight.

4.) Fight like a vintage fighter. He needs to be more technical by means of being aware of the punches coming to him through controlled aggression and dissent defense. He should learn how to move away from power punches. In his KO loss to Marquez he moves towards the right side of Marquez where the power punch caught him.

5.) He should bring back his focus and dedication to boxing. This should be the core of his return.

6.) Reduce his media exposure. This I believe is the main reason why he develops bad habit in training and takes away his discipline. Celebrity complex is a major diversion of a boxer's focus and dedication of the sport. Celebrity complex gives an egocentric-like effect which affects one's logical reasoning.

Hoping Manny the best of this year and the years to come... Good luck on his effort of redemption.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
Lightweight

A little late for a christmas list.

I think its a little too late in his career to make all the sudden changes you asked for. Habits die hard and i dont think he can change all his bad habits at the end of his career. Gym rats are the fighters that are always in the gym perfecting their craft and manny is not that. When you are away from boxing for long stretches, you tend to lose concentration in fights and commit mistakes. I think it will be tough for him to reclaim glory.

Just sayin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 pm 
Heavyweight

devondenom wrote:

2.) Take buboy out of his corner on fight night. No offense to his long-time buddy but I think he's not of a help to Manny on the training level. The truth is, he has become Manny's distraction in the corner for he most of the time gives instruction in panic tone before roach does. Sometimes buboy would show his distressing emotion when Manny is in trouble in the fight. It would also be an insult and distraction to freddie having buboy in the corner taking charge of the instruction most of the time.

Taking Buboy out of his corner would not help. Buboy was the first person Pac was looking for when he has finally collected his senses after he was KO'ed.. Why take out Buboy after just losing a hurtful KO, when in fact Buboy was part of the team when Pac was on his way up demolishing his opponents.. :hat:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:49 pm 
Middleweight

soczep09 wrote:
A little late for a christmas list.

I think its a little too late in his career to make all the sudden changes you asked for. Habits die hard and i dont think he can change all his bad habits at the end of his career. Gym rats are the fighters that are always in the gym perfecting their craft and manny is not that. When you are away from boxing for long stretches, you tend to lose concentration in fights and commit mistakes. I think it will be tough for him to reclaim glory.

Just sayin

I could not really predict a triumphant return for Manny but hey, everything is possible now a days. For sure it would be tough for Manny but it's all up to him. Nothing is constant in this world other than CHANGE.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Pacquiao has so many distractions not only in training but also when is not in training.

As a boxer, you should take care of yourself...

Training starts outside the ring.

Staying late at night, drinking and too many appointments will eventually take something out of your body...

And the last fight was a clear sign.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 pm 
Middleweight

marinduque wrote:
devondenom wrote:

Taking Buboy out of his corner would not help. Buboy was the first person Pac was looking for when he has finally collected his senses after he was KO'ed.. Why take out Buboy after just losing a hurtful KO, when in fact Buboy was part of the team when Pac was on his way up demolishing his opponents.. :hat:

There's no problem having buboy as his true friend in the comfort level. What I'm referring for is having him as part of his cornermen. Let's just admit that he is not that good as coach or strategist, he needs to shut his mouth while roach is about to give instruction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm 
Heavyweight

devondenom wrote:
marinduque wrote:
devondenom wrote:

There's no problem having buboy as his true friend in the comfort level. What I'm referring for is having him as part of his cornermen. Let's just admit that he is not that good as coach or strategist, he needs to shut his mouth while roach is about to give instruction.

Roach is channeling his instruction to Manny through Buboy.. He is not the chief cornerman.. Why fire Buboy? I think Buboy is more of help than those of his Manny's staff whose just there as Pac's money-sucking excess baggage.. :hat:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm 
Light Heavyweight

end of the line.. dont try to bring back the glory days...
time to retire :mrgreen:

CATCHY IT AINT ???

Our universe is one of the Billion universes out there.......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:09 pm 
Middleweight

goldunderfire wrote:
Pacquiao has so many distractions not only in training but also when is not in training.

As a boxer, you should take care of yourself...

Training starts outside the ring.

Staying late at night, drinking and too many appointments will eventually take something out of your body...

And the last fight was a clear sign.

I completely understand what you mean coz i myself have predicted his bitter loss to JMM because of what u stated, di ko lang inasahan na KO. That is why I give these recommendations, na kay Manny na yon kung susundin nya o hindi. Before his recent loss I really wanted him to retire, but since it's more likely for him to return di i-encourage ko na lang sa kanya na gawin yung tama.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm 
Middleweight

marinduque wrote:
Roach is channeling his instruction to Manny through Buboy.. He is not the chief cornerman.. Why fire Buboy? I think Buboy is more of help than those of his Manny's staff whose just there as Pac's money-sucking excess baggage.. :hat:

Did I said that he should fire Buboy? Sabi ko lang tanggalin bilang isa sa mga cornermen niya during the fight. Ok lang naman kung maging part sya sa training lang. Freddie believes that buboy was relaying his message pero sa tutoo kung pakikinggan mo di naman talaga lahat nire-relay nya.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:21 pm 
Heavyweight

devondenom wrote:
marinduque wrote:

Did I said that he should fire Buboy? Sabi ko lang tanggalin bilang isa sa mga cornermen niya during the fight. Ok lang naman kung maging part sya sa training lang. Freddie believes that buboy was relaying his message pero sa tutoo kung pakikinggan mo di naman talaga lahat nire-relay nya.

You never said they should fire Buboy and yet you implied that Buboy should not be in his corner.. Agree that Buboy doesn't relayed the supposed message to Pac 100% accurately, but the thing is Buboy contributes during fight time. I am more keen on removing those excess baggage rather than removing Buboy who helps Pac in different ways at fight night. :hat:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:22 pm 
Cruiserweight

devondenom wrote:
marinduque wrote:
devondenom wrote:

I already suggested that to Asian Sensation in his thread. Buboy should go. Manny doesn't need a babysitter or interpreter around his corner anymore. If you notice, he's often drowning and overriding Roach's muddled instructions. First class trainers like Steward, Beristain, Richardson, and even Garcia don't tolerate their assistants giving strategical orders as it would only confuse the boxer. So much for this Filipino sidekick mentality. Manny is a warrior and his coach should treat him that way. Anybody close to him hanging around would only soften him up. This is a different situation now and Manny knows it. He needs that fire burning every minute of every round, including the round breaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:32 pm 
Middleweight

marinduque wrote:
You never said they should fire Buboy and yet you implied that Buboy should not be in his corner.. Agree that Buboy doesn't relayed the supposed message to Pac 100% accurately, but the thing is Buboy contributes during fight time. I am more keen on removing those excess baggage rather than removing Buboy who helps Pac in different ways at fight night. :hat:

Ok, if that's your opinion. But I would say that the "different ways" you mentioned is not helping him(Manny) much... his actions in the corner takes away the real system of winning, no one should give instruction other than the main coach in the corner to avoid confusion and diversion from the fight plan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:36 pm 
Middleweight

Junorz wrote:
I already suggested that to Asian Sensation in his thread. Buboy should go. Manny doesn't need a babysitter or interpreter around his corner anymore. If you notice, he's often drowning and overriding Roach's muddled instructions. First class trainers like Steward, Beristain, Richardson, and even Garcia don't tolerate their assistants giving strategical orders as it would only confuse the boxer. So much for this Filipino sidekick mentality. Manny is a warrior and his coach should treat him that way. Anybody close to him hanging around would only soften him up. This is a different situation now and Manny knows it. He needs that fire burning every minute of every round, including the round breaks.

Exactly. I totally agree...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:44 pm 
Cruiserweight

devondenom wrote:
Junorz wrote:

Exactly. I totally agree...

Manny has the tendency to goof off and slacken on his training regimen when familiar people play so much inside roles. He clowns around with these people. Even Ariza and Roach are not spared. The intensity level should be maintained until the fight. He has to have that mindset. Buboy can still contribute his help on errands level but he should not be yelling instructions like he used to.