Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:31 pm 
Middleweight

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/03 ... ns-disease

Pacquiao showing early signs of Parkinson's disease?
By Dharel Placido, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 01/03/2013 3:04 PM | Updated as of 01/03/2013 5:00 PM

MANILA, Philippines – A neurologist on Thursday said he has been observing early signs of Parkinson's disease from Filipino boxing icon Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.

Dr. Rustico Jimenez, President of Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines, told radio dzMM that among the early signs of Parkinson's being exhibited by Pacquiao include stuttering and hand twitching.

Jimenez urged the Filipino champion to retire from boxing in order to avoid what happened to Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) and award-winning trainer Freddie Roach who were both afflicted with the progressive disorder of the nervous system.

"Kung ako naman ang tatanungin, siguro dapat mag-retiro ang ating pambansang hero na si Manny," he said.

"Lalo pong nadadagdagan ang trauma, lalo pong magkakaroon siya ng problema. Pwedeng later on Alzheimer's disease naman."

In a separate phone interview, Jimenez clarified that he could be wrong with his observations, but nevertheless told Pacquiao to be cautious.

He said while he has not met Pacquiao to personally check on his condition, his hand twitches during television interviews should be a cause for concern.

"Yung movement, although mabilis ang reflexes, napapansin ko lang - another view or personal view lang naman ang sa akin - parang may early signs," he said.

"May mga movements napapansin mo sa kamay. Sa kamay usually, sa ulo hindi natin makikita agad, nagtu-twitch ng konti. Although I haven't seen very close, parang nakikita ko lang mayroong ganoon."

Chronic trauma

This is not the first time that a medical expert raised concerns over Pacquiao's health.

Dr. Raquel Fortun, a renowned forensics expert in the country, earlier said she is not convinced with the CT scan results clearing Manny Pacquiao following his knockout loss to Mexican foe Juan Manuel Marquez.

She said severe head trauma could lead to Alzheimer’s disease or a form of dementia that worsens over time.

She said several studies have been done on the effect of chronic trauma or repeated hits to the head among athletes, particularly boxers and football players.

Fortun said the knockout punch that hit Pacquiao was actually 2 hits: when Marquez's fist connected with Pacquiao's face and when the boxing champ fell face down on the canvass.

"Delikado yun. Pag naalog yan yung utak mo kasi hindi fixed na fixed yan sa bungo so pag naaalog ang utak, may napu-putol putol na connections. May mga small hemorrhages ka," she said.

She said a severe blow to the head could damage the dura mater, which is a membrane that surrounds the brain. Once damaged, it could lead to a subdural hematoma.

The forensic expert expressed alarm over reports that Pacquiao allegedly had a slight seizure after falling unconscious from Marquez's hammer blow to the head. – with David Dizon, ABS-CBNnews.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:39 pm 
Welterweight

Kung ako kay Dr. Jimenez, siguraduhin niya muna yan kaysa kung ano-anong pinagsasabi niya. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:42 pm 
Light Heavyweight

World_War wrote:
Kung ako kay Dr. Jimenez, siguraduhin niya muna yan kaysa kung ano-anong pinagsasabi niya. 8)

^ :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Location: iN dA mIdDlE oF dA DeSeRt, WhErE yOu CaN fInD dA oAsIs!
Publications like this must have a supporting documents or a documentary reports coming from the labs, scans or any test that will surely advise the person to retire.

I can also make my opinion that pac has "this and that" but my testimony is not sufficient enough to prove that I'm right.

Although these Doctors have points of view, but its not enough to prove on what they just observe. It will just create another issues to Pacfans, Pacnuts, Pactards and/or Pacmanias...

But in the contrary, its a good information to Pac.

GO WEB!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:12 pm 
Welterweight

If there's any person who can give advises like these, it's the doctors.

Pac should at least take note.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:24 pm 
Lightweight

"prevention is better than cure". I think it's time for Manny to retire. No need for him to prove anything. With all the accolades he achieved, money he have earned and honor that he brought to our country.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Just a year ago, if you mentioned that JMM will send Pacquiao to the hospital and retire him, everybody will laugh at you because it should be the other way around.

Sadly, the tables have been turned. JMM already sent Pacquiao to the hospital and it looks like JMM will also retire Pacquiao from boxing.

I also agree that Pacquiao should retire. He should just enjoy his life and family after so many sacrifices in the ring.

There's nothing left to prove for Pacquiao.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:14 pm 
Cruiserweight

World_War wrote:

or ask for a second/third opinion (to a very reliable docs)... :)
then, if it's true... (it's still Packys decision)... Pacquiao needs a very smart decision about it, let's hope he's right on reevaluating the circumstances. :?

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 pm 
Welterweight

Tama ba yung mag bigay ng diagnose ng hindi nakikita personally? Sa TV lang niya nakita sa interview nakapag comment ng ganun? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kung me makaka pansin or makaka kita man nun, yung mga doctor na pinag pacheck upan ni Pacman sa US at dito sa Pinas.

Pero siya chineck up niya sa TV :lol:

Wagas yun :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:31 pm 
Cruiserweight

malupit ang visual check-up ng doctor na to :shock:

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I was smiling."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:37 pm 
Light Heavyweight

I read some article from way back that it said Asians are less likely to have Parkinson's disease...their study showed it..I dont know tho if whats the reason but thats what i read...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm 
Bantamweight

Manny can still fight but, be more cautious now on his offense if the knockout doesnt come fine dont risk your health manny and pls stop saying " i want to fight toe to toe to make people happy" you will only get hurt badly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm 
Bantamweight

PACMAN SHOULD CONSIDER STEM CELL THERAPY...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 pm 
Cruiserweight

asteroid_punch wrote:
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/03/13/pacquiao-showing-early-signs-parkinsons-disease

Pacquiao showing early signs of Parkinson's disease?
By Dharel Placido, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 01/03/2013 3:04 PM | Updated as of 01/03/2013 5:00 PM

parang may early signs

:shock: conflicting against the news title. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm 
Welterweight

What an irresponsible doctor! Even with his disclaimer (that he hasn't seen Pacquiao in person), making a clinical opinion off a TV feed and making it public is simply unethical and dangerous.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next