Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:33 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 482  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:50 am 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao hits the gym ahead of comeback clash with Jessie Vargas... as trainer warns Filipino is 'ridiculously stronger' than WBO champion

By Richard Arrowsmith for MailOnline

Manny Pacquiao cut a determined figure as he returned to training ahead of his comeback fight against Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas next month.

The Filipino former eight-division world champion, who retired from boxing in April to concentrate on his political career, took part in a workout session at the Elorde gym in Manila on Thursday after announcing his comeback seven months after defeating Timothy Bradley in his farewell fight.

The 37-year-old has chosen to train in his homeland to allow him to attend to his legislative work, as he promised during the election campaign.

Pacquiao will be competing for the first time as an elected senator in the Philippines when he meets Vargas for the WBO welterweight title on November  5.

Asked what had prompted his decision to come out of retirement, Pacquiao previously admitted: 'The main reason is because when I hung up my gloves, I realised that the sport that I loved, I was no longer active with that.

'And then I realised that boxing still liked me and I liked boxing so why am I not continuing my journey in boxing? So I changed my mind and decided to continue my journey.'

After seeing Pacquiao train, his strength and conditioning coach Justin Fortune believes that Vargas will struggle to compete with his fighter in the ring.

Speaking to GMA News, Fortune said: 'Listen, it's Jessie Vargas, he's a world champ so he's a good fighter, but he's not on the same level as Manny. It's just a simple fact that Pacquiao is faster and ridiculously stronger than Jessie. I mean there's no way around it.

'He could do whatever he wants to do but he could never match the speed and power of Pacquiao. It really gets down to absolute basics, and that's the basics of it.'

'He has the age advantage, so what? He doesn't have the experience, doesn't have the power and he doesn't have the speed,' he added. 

Meanwhile, Pacquiao has admitted he took all kinds of drugs as a teenager but fully supports President Rodrigo Duterte, whose vicious anti-drugs campaign has led to the killing of more than 3,000 people.

'I tried drugs...many kinds of drugs, all kinds of drugs before I became a champion,' he said. 

'The president, he doesn't know my experience with drugs,' said Pacquiao, adding he was confident it wouldn't damage their close relationship.

'He always gives a chance to people who want to be changed,' said the boxer-turned-lawmaker in an interview in his senate office. 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:59 am 
Heavyweight

Updated at 05:32 PM EDT, Fri Sep 30, 2016 
Read More By : Boxing Clever

AIBA Developing Anti-Betting Program For Boxers

The international boxing association says it is developing a new anti-betting education program after three boxers were sanctioned by the IOC for gambling on fights at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

AIBA President CK Wu says “the actions of a very small minority at Rio 2016 have shown that what we believed to be a very clear message still needs some reinforcing.”

Olympic boxers Michael Conlan and Steve Donnelly of Ireland and Britain’s Antony Fowler received “severe reprimands” from the International Olympic Committee on Wednesday for betting on fights during the Rio Games.

Wu says AIBA is developing “a clear and comprehensive educational program” for 200 national federations and their boxers.

He says an AIBA disciplinary commission will deal with three boxers reprimanded by the IOC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:48 am 
Heavyweight

Nietes sets eyes on vacant flyweight crowns 0

BY JOSEF T. RAMOS, TMT ON SEPTEMBER 29,2016

Donnie “Ahas” Nietes is eyeing to capture either of the World Boxing Organization (WBO) or World Boxing Association (WBA) vacant flyweight titles soon.

Mexican Juan Francisco Estrada (33-2 win-loss record with 24 knockouts) relinquished the WBO and WBA world flyweight titles last week after he decided to move up to the super flyweight rank. Estrada will make his debut as a super flyweight when he fights Filipino Raymond Tabugon on October 8 in Mexico.

“I’m not going to follow Estrada or Roman Gonzales in the super flyweight rank because I’m looking forward to win a world title in the flyweight division for the meantime,” Nietes, 34, told The Manila Times on Thursday in a phone interview. “I feel so good fighting in the flyweight. I didn’t encounter any trouble about my new weight. I’m so fast, stronger and wiser fighting in the 112 pounds.”

Nietes, a former minimum weight and light flyweight world titleholder, could become a three-division world champion if he bagged any of the two vacant world titles.

But Nietes (39-1-4 win-loss-draw record with 22 knockouts) added that he’s still open to fighting Estrada or Gonzales, “Of course, I’m willing to fight anyone of them but in a catch weight category. If the fight would happen against Estrada or Gonzalez, I will fight them between 112 or 114 pounds. But I think that’s not possible for the meantime unless they make an offer. So far, I’m still waiting for the decision of my manager regarding my next fight.”

Nietes said that he would likely face two-time Olympic gold medalist Zou Shiming soon. “I really like that fight because I sparred with Zou before. I can handle him. I learned a lot of techniques during my training with coach Freddie Roach.”

Nietes made his debut as a flyweight in Carson, California on Saturday by beating former Mexican world champion Edgar Sosa via unanimous decision. “I really felt good although I couldn’t knock him out because he’s avoiding my punches in the later rounds,” said Nietes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Arum: De La Hoya is Like a Momma in How He Protects Canelo!

By Miguel Rivera

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum has been on a roll all week, with his statements regarding the ongoing negotiations to make a fight between Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (48-1-1, 34KOs) and Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (36-0, 33KOs).

A few days ago, Arum took shots at Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya for offering Golovkin a flat fee to face Canelo in a major pay-per-view event next September. Golovkin, who holds the WBA/IBO/IBF/WBC middleweight belts, is looking for a percentage deal. Arum feels De La Hoya is protecting Canelo from the Golovkin fight and hurting the Mexican superstar's fanbase in the process.

Arum spoke with Golpe a Golpe about the issues that are plaguing the sport, with promoters refusing to match their boxers tough. Arum has been speaking with several promoters about this issue, including manager/adviser Al Haymon - and Arum feels there are going to be some very big fights to boost  boxing back to form in the near future.  At the same time, he says De La Hoya is also willing to match his fighters tough - unless it's Canelo. "Let me tell you the truth, boxing is on the cusp of being extraordinarily strong. It is a very popular sport. People want to watch it - but as long as the promoters make good fights people will watch, people will come to the events. Boxing is a great, great sport all over the world - and its very, very strong and it's going to be stronger in the years to come, wait you see," Arum told Golpe a Golpe. "I am talking to the other promoters now. I've had long conversations with Al Haymon, and Al Haymon realizes - he's not a stupid man - that we have to make interesting, good matches. So he's not going to be a problem [with making good fights]." "And Oscar - except for Canelo... who he protects like he's a momma...... other than Canelo, Oscar is willing to put his fighters in [tough fights]."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Bradley: There Are Levels; Vargas Will Find Out Against Pacquiao

By Keith Idec The thing Timothy Bradley likes most about Stephen A. Smith is that his new broadcast partner speaks the truth, regardless of the consequences. Bradley has taken that very approach to assessing the Manny Pacquiao-Jessie Vargas fight the former two-division champion will call from ringside alongside Smith and Brian Kenny on November 5 in Las Vegas. He would like to paint Pacquiao-Vargas as a 50-50 encounter either fighter could win, particularly given their age disparity. But based on what Bradley experienced in the ring against both boxers over the past 15 months, he doesn’t think the roughly 8-1 odds that favor Pacquiao are quite wide enough. “My thoughts on Vargas winning are slim to none,” Bradley told BoxingScene.com. “I’m gonna be honest with you. Yeah, it’s a competitive fight. Vargas is gonna show up and do what Vargas is gonna do. But it takes a certain kind of style to beat Manny Pacquiao.

“Granted, Vargas had a sensational win against Sadam Ali. He had a sensational right hand against me in the last round, even though I was dominating that fight. But he feels that he has a puncher’s chance. He feels like he can land an overhand right on Pacquiao. And he definitely has a really good chin.” The 33-year-old Bradley knows all too well about Vargas’ right hand. He was dominating their June 2015 fight in Carson, California, when Vargas drilled Bradley with an overhand right that buckled Bradley’s legs with approximately 20 seconds left in the 12th round. Bradley appeared on his way to surviving the trouble, but referee Pat Russell denied Bradley a decisive victory when he mistook the 10-second warning for the final bell and called an end to the HBO bout eight seconds too soon. Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) campaigned for a rematch thereafter, but Bradley (33-2-1, 13 KOs, 1 NC) went on to dominate Brandon Rios (33-3-1, 24 KOs), who lost by ninth-round TKO, and lost another unanimous decision to Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) in a 12-round WBO welterweight title fight most boxing fans and media criticized promoter Bob Arum for making earlier this year. Though Bradley beat Vargas pretty easily other than that aforementioned right hand (115-112, 116-112, 117-111), Bradley respects Vargas’ skills, especially the Las Vegas native’s sometimes-jarring jab. “One of the things that Jessie Vargas does very well and has in his arsenal, is he has a solid, stiff jab,” Bradley said. “And he’s gonna need that against Manny Pacquiao because he’s gotta control range and distance against Manny Pacquiao. If he uses that range and jab, he’ll be able to keep Manny Pacquiao off of him a little bit and move and control the distance.”

Even if Vargas’ jab is effective early in their scheduled 12-rounder at UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center, Bradley doesn’t think that’ll be nearly enough to disarm Pacquiao. Bradley admits he was surprised how fast and powerful Pacquiao was during their third fight, which took place nearly four months after Pacquiao’s 37th birthday. “As soon as Manny Pacquiao figures out that range and that distance,” Bradley said, “and figures out what he’s doing, then I think Pacquiao’s gonna come and press him and press him. He’s quick and he’s explosive, man. He’s a completely different fighter from when I faced him the first two times. Just more patient, more precise on his punches. It seems like he got his power back, full-fledged. He punched pretty hard the last time I faced him. I didn’t feel him punch that hard in the first two fights. But man, that third fight, that dude had some lightning speed and some great punching power.” Pacquiao basically beat Bradley three times, though Bradley won their infamous first fight by split decision in June 2012 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. With trainer Teddy Atlas in his corner, the Palm Springs, California, native thought he had a legitimate shot at winning their third fight, a bout even Bradley was surprised Arum arranged. Once Pacquiao scored a seventh-round knockdown, however, Bradley believes he subconsciously conceded defeat to the Filipino superstar in Pacquiao’s first fight following his unanimous-decision defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May 2015. Pacquiao scored two knockdowns during their April 9 bout, the second of which occurred during the ninth round, and won by the same large margin on all three scorecards (116-110). “I was on point, man,” Bradley recalled. “If I was gonna win a fight [against Pacquiao], it was gonna be that night. I was in superior shape and I was on everything he likes to do. And I knew everything he liked to do. But you’ve gotta be mentally tough all the way through. And for some reason, man – I’m not sure if it’s the history of it with Pacquiao – I’m not sure what happened. But during the course of the fight, I gave in. I don’t know why. “I think it had to do with the knockdown in the [seventh] round, when I thought he pulled me down. He threw a punch, but he kind of grabbed my glove and pulled me forward to the ground. I think that kind of discouraged me a bit because I was just like, ‘Here we go. I’m in the fight or this fight is even right now, going into the [seventh] round, and the ref [Tony Weeks] called a freakin’ knockdown when it was a slip.’ I’m just like, ‘Here we go again.’ I think that had to do with the rest of the fight and the kind of discouragement I had because of that particular knockdown. But my trainer always says, ‘You’ve got to be a professional at all times.’ And I wasn’t a professional that night.” Pacquiao connected with a short right hand around Bradley’s left glove during the sequence to which Bradley referred. Their arms got tangled thereafter, Bradley fell forward and his gloves touched the canvas, which caused Weeks to call it a knockdown with just under 20 seconds to go in the seventh round. Regardless, Bradley fully expects Vargas to be a professional when he encounters the greatest opportunity of his eight-year pro career five weeks from Saturday night. It just won’t be enough, according to Bradley.    “Pacquiao is the favorite and he should be the favorite,” Bradley said. “Manny Pacquiao is on a whole different level. There are levels to this game, man, and Jessie Vargas will find out.”

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:34 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather accusation vs Pacman PED use justified? Delay of Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather was Manny’s fault? Irony of Rodrigo Duterte support

By Mark F. Villanueva

The Fight of the Century between Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather may be over, but it came a bit too late, where both boxers were perceived to be in a gradual physical decline.

Coach, Freddie Roach had claimed that Floyd Mayweather would get beat by his ward ‘cause he no longer had the legs to move around the ring for 12 rounds, or, at least not as much as he used to.

The delay was mainly due to Pacman’s refusal to take drug tests. Sure, there was the agonizing financial dispute, but nobody doubted Floyd as being on the A-side of the agreement.

The main thing that held up the fight was Manny’s refusal to take random drug tests- either ‘cause he was afraid of needles, or his superstitions made him feel sluggish whenever blood was taken out of his system prior to a fight.

The drug/PED use was blatantly denied, and people believed him. Floyd Mayweather got called a chicken for that, for allegedly finding all sorts of excuses not to fight.

Boxing analysts have chimed in agreement regarding Manny Pacquiao’s ebbing power, not being able to knock out an opponent as he used to, and cited his problems with leg cramps. Some say he’s been showing signs of exhaustion lately, huffing and puffing on the later rounds.

There were many reasons behind the Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather bout being less than stellar. In fact, apart from the biggest fight actually happening when most thought it wouldn’t, nothing notable really happened in that squared circle that would suggest its living up to its billing.

But according to a report by TMZ Manny Pacquiao has admitted to using “all kinds of drugs” before he became a boxing champion.

Surely, he may have meant recreational/designer drugs like Shabu or Cocaine, in contrast to performance-enhancing drugs, but it drives down the point that it utterly destroys his credibility on the matter.

It turns out now that Floyd Mayweather was right in demanding for random drug testing. Apparently, it’s not merely enough if an athlete says he’s a man of faith and preaches about honesty, and we simply take his word for it. You lie about one drug, you lie about all.

Manny Pacquiao, now a member of the Phil. Senate made this revelation in support of the country’s controversial president Rodrigo Duterte. He pledges his support for Duterte’s drug crackdown, which is under international scrutiny for alleged human rights abuses.

Pres. Rodrigo Duterte has been questioned at the outset of his program for alleged ordering the killings of addicts and drug pushers, and hard criminals.

Do these drug elements deserve to be killed being a menace to society? Are they not human beings anymore, as rotten as their crimes, unworthy of the shelter of the law?

Sen. Pacquiao supports his tough program despite admitting drug use. Ironically, he’s the best example why drug users shouldn’t just be put to an end for the legend he’s become.

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather 2 anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:36 am 
Heavyweight

BARE EYE
Roach says Pacquiao is tired

Philippine Daily Inquirer
By: Recah Trinidad, October 1st, 2016 11:13 PM

There’s a jumpy twist in the otherwise energetic preparations of Manny Pacquiao for his world welterweight title challenge in Las Vegas on Nov. 5. This concern was delivered by trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Bob Arum themselves.

First, Arum confided he was not confident if Pacquiao can continue to manage his career in the Senate with his career in boxing.

Then, in his turn, Roach said Pacquiao appeared tired in training.

Veteran broadcaster Ronnie Nathanielsz reported yesterday that Pacquiao looked fatigued and listless in training at the Elorde Gym in the Mall of Asia on Thursday, described by Roach as “not a very happy day.”

“I think he is getting a little tired, he looks flat” Nathanielsz quoted Roach as saying.

“Manny is getting a bit older because of the stuff he is doing in the Senate,” Roach added.

Explained Arum: “For me, it seems maybe like it’s a lot too much.”

Arum did not suggest anything, except to say his title bout against Jessie Vargas “will tell a lot of things about Manny.”

Roach, on the other hand, said he’ll be giving Pacquiao a couple of rest days, instead of the customary one.

Arum described Vargas as an energetic kid who has been punching well, and could be “a danger to Manny.”

If anything, these latest developments should help improve the awful odds (in favor of Pacquiao), and could push lagging pre-fight sales for the championship described as “wholly unappetizing” and which Showtime has refused to distribute.

Top Rank Inc. has decided to take over the international broadcast of the Nov. 5 championship, with Tim Bradley doing commentary from ringside.

Bradley, who definitely knows more than enough about the greatness of Manny Pacquiao, was saying that Vargas merely surpassing himself would not be enough to lead the unheralded WBO welterweight champion to victory. Bradley said Pacquiao boxes on a wholly superb superior level.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:27 pm 
Heavyweight

Don't Count Out Manny Pacquiao as Boxing's Best Fighter Just Yet

Kelsey McCarson
Sep 28, 2016

Manny Pacquiao is 37 years old, but he still has what it takes to be the best fighter in the world.

There was a time in our sport when a boxer reaching Pacquiao's age would be considered ancient. It's still generally true. However, as fighters of the modern era focus more on the advances in nutrition and conditioning their forefather's didn't have—and maybe even as they become more educated about things like what happens to a famous professional boxer once his ability to make millions of dollars ceases—fighters these days just keep fighting, and they do it pretty well.

There's no shortage of opinions in the media on what fighters like Pac-Man should be concerned about. Some think Pacquiao's just too old to be anything close to what he was at his peak.

Others point to the threat of boxing leading folks to mental illness.

Others just want to dictate their wishes. Quit while you can. That's what Tony Katigbak suggests in the Philippine Star.

But why?

Has Pacquiao shown decline to the point of being scared for his safety? Is there any real reason one of the top fighters of his era should stop fighting other than maybe our own vain interests in preserving our memory of him—or any other great fighter we support—as the very best version of himself?

Or at least maybe we just don't want to witness him become the shell of what once was the way we had to watch Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes and Evander Holyfield become during the late years of their careers?

Perhaps a more modern example is Roy Jones Jr. Was there a better fighter than him at his best? And has there been more of a gap between how great a pugilist he was at his best to what he has now become at the end?

But Pacquiao is not there yet. In fact, after announcing his plans to come out of his short-lived retirement, Pacquiao burst back into most top-10 pound-for-pound lists out there, including our own here at Bleacher Report.

And why shouldn't he?

Pacquiao looked exceptional in his last fight. In April 2016—yes, less than half-a-year ago—Pacquiao easily dismantled Timothy Bradley—an excellent fighter who had already shared the ring with Pacquiao for 24 rounds over two fights, Bradley looked better than ever leading up to the rubber match with his rival.

Bradley was the first man ever to stop Brandon Rios a few months prior, but as soon as the bell rang against Pacquiao, he was completely befuddled by the superior man's speed and power. Whatever he had going for him headed into the fight, Bradley was lost in there. He couldn't outbox him. He couldn't out-slug him. He couldn't make him miss.

He was toast.

And Bradley is elite. He isn't Floyd Mayweather, but Pacquiao's opponent in November, Jessie Vargas, isn't either. And neither is anyone in boxing right now other than the retired Mayweather, a man who is probably the only boxer still in fighting shape with better credentials than Pacquiao.

Big fights still loom. Pacquiao should handle Vargas with relative ease. The current WBO titleholder is good, tough and durable, but he doesn't possess an elite skill set like Pacquiao.

For the returning Pacquiao, a welterweight title win could set up bouts against the likes of Amir Khan, Terence Crawford or even Mayweather again.

And who is to say Pacquiao—the man who shockingly stormed up to welterweight and above to beat Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto—after being the best little fighter of the era, couldn't surprise everyone again?

For the pessimist out there, remember a lesson from history. The aforementioned Holyfield, who fought well beyond his shelf life as an elite fighter, was considered washed up near the very same age that Pacquiao is now.

A kid at the time, I remember fear—not just concern but absolute terror—that Holyfield, in his mid-30s, was on his way to injury or even death against Mike Tyson in 1996. But Holyfield beat Tyson and went on to secure his place among the all-time great heavyweights in history.

Let's be clear, though. Even if he hadn't beaten Tyson, Holyfield, as a fighter, deserved to go out his own way. All fighters do, and Pacquiao should choose his own path, too.

Heck, he has. He's fighting Vargas in November.

And Pacquiao could still be the best fighter in the world. But he might not be, too. He might be middling. As unlikely as it seems, he might even be terrible.

But fighters deserve the benefit of the doubt as they grow older. If anything, it's because all those scrubs they belted to the canvas on their way up the ranks didn't have the public's misplaced concern. We didn't care they couldn't compete. We just let them fight because that's what they came into boxing to do.

Those guys just got whipped, and if there's something wrong with a fighter—any fighter—getting beat-up because he doesn't have the skill or speed or power or whatever to beat the man in front of him—due to age or any other attribute he possesses (so long as he can pass the required tests)—then boxing should just close shop.

Boxing should stick around. So should Pacquiao so long as he wishes to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather might fight again “for a couple more bucks”
Posted on October 1, 2016
By Allan Fox: 

Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he might come out of retirement for a little more money. He’s leaving his options open after he tried and failed to make a fight between him and UFC star Conor McGregor recently. Mayweather wanted to make the fight with the 28-year-old McGregor for a pay-per-view fight that would have taken place inside a boxing ring, but he couldn’t put the fight together.

McGregor reportedly would have wanted 50% of the revenue for the fight. That obviously would have taken a big slice out of the payday that Mayweather would have received, making it likely that he wouldn’t have made the kind of money he made in the past for his fights. That wouldn’t work obviously.

Mayweather can make a good payday fighting boxers like Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman or Kell Brook and take the bigger slice of the pie. A rematch against Manny Pacquiao would make Mayweather a ton of money if he could get the bigger slice of the revenue. However, the longer Mayweather waits before making a comeback the less money he’ll likely get, because fans forget stars when they stay outside of the ring for a long time.

Additionally, fans want to see relevant fighters, not old timers hobbling around the ring. With Mayweather having been out of boxing for a year now, there will be questions from a lot of fans whether it’s worth paying to see an old and inactive fighter.

Mayweather said to TMZ.com about a match against McGregor:

“The fight is very difficult to make. I tried to make the fight, but it didn’t happen. You live and learn. I’m loving retirement.”

I don’t think you can sell a fight between Mayweather and McGregor to non-MMA fans. If your focus is on boxing, then you’re not going to know or care who McGregor is. Mayweather would making a mistake if he fought him, because he would be dependent on MMA fans to bring in the money for the fight on pay-per-view, and those same fans would understand the fight is a mismatch due to the fight bring inside the ring rather than the octagon.

When asked if he would come out of retirement to resume his boxing career, Mayweather said, “For a couple of more bucks. You just don’t know. I’m an old man. I did it for 20 years. I had a great career.”

The only fights that will make Mayweather huge money in boxing are matches against Pacquiao, Saul Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto and Gennady Golovkin. Mayweather wouldn’t make big money fighting Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Brook, or Jessie Vargas. Those are not big fights. the fights that would be big are against the bigger names.

Golovkin would be a tremendous fight for Mayweather, even though Golovkin isn’t a PPV. Fans would want to see Mayweather fight Golovkin because they would want to see if Mayweather would get knocked out. Golovkin has so much power that he might break Mayweather like he did with Kell Brook. If you saw the Golovkin-Brook fight, you’ll have noticed that Brook did alright for a little while until suffering a broken eye socket.

Brook was making Golovkin miss the entire fight, but he couldn’t make him miss with everything he threw. Something got through Brook’s defenses and it caused the injury. I don’t think Mayweather would be willing to earn the most money possible in a comeback, because it would be too risky.

Mayweather would likely play it safe if he came back to the sport by taking on someone like Danny Garcia. That’s not a fight would sell big numbers, because it’s too much like Mayweather vs. Berto. Garcia is probably even less popular now than Berto, because fans have become disillusioned with Garcia’s career due to all the soft matches in the last two years.
Here are Mayweather’s best options for money fights if he comes back:

1. Manny Pacquiao

2. Saul Canelo Alvarez

3. Gennady Golovkin

4. Miguel Cotto

5. Danny Garcia

The interest from fans in a second fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao could dry up depending on how Pacquiao looks in his fight against WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas on November 5. If Pacquiao loses that fight or if he struggles to win, then there’s no point in Mayweather fighting him. Mayweather needs to make a decision soon about his career whether to return to the ring or not.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:59 pm 
Heavyweight

JEWELER CLAIMS FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. OWES $1.4M FOR DIAMOND NECKLACE

By MAX MICHOR
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

A Las Vegas-based jeweler claims in a lawsuit that champion boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. owes the company $1.4 million for a diamond necklace.

According to the Clark County District Court complaint, filed Sept. 23, The Jewelers Inc. sold Mayweather a $3 million necklace containing 72 diamonds in September. The retired boxer paid the company $1 million up front and then made six payments of $100,000 between October and May.

After the last payment, the jeweler claims, Mayweather refused to pay the remaining balance.

Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, said Friday that Mayweather had no comment on the lawsuit.

Last year Mayweather was ranked No. 1 on Forbes’ list of highest-paid celebrities after earning $300 million. Mayweather, who says he has retired from boxing, currently sits at No. 54 with $44 million earned over the last 12 months.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:11 pm 
Heavyweight

TYSON FURY TESTS POSITIVE FOR COCAINE

IT'S GONE FROM BAD TO WORSE FOR FURY (RIGHT) PICTURED IN HIS BOUT WITH WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO. PHOTO: SASCHA STEINBACH/BONGARTS

BY TOM GRAY

Tyson Fury, the RING, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion of the world, has tested positive for cocaine, according to a report.

The news comes on the heels of the enigmatic Brit pulling out of a rematch with former champion Wladimir Klitschko, which was scheduled for Oct. 29 in Manchester, England. That announcement was made public on Sept. 23.

Now ESPN.com is reporting that Fury failed a drug test conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) on Sept. 22.

The sports website obtained a copy of a letter issued by VADA President Dr. Margaret Goodman to all parties involved in Fury-Klitschko II, which reads as follows, “This letter is to advise you that the ‘A’ sample urine specimen number 4006253 collected from Tyson Fury on September 22, 2016 in Lancaster, England through his participation in the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) program has been analyzed for anabolic agents, diuretics, beta-2 agonists, stimulants and drugs of abuse. The results of the analysis are as follows: Adverse. Urine specimen contains benzoylecgonine.”

Benzoylecgonine is the main metabolite in cocaine.

Team Fury had released a statement indicating the fighter was “medically unfit to fight” and rumors began to circulate that this was due to a battle with depression. The Klitschko rematch, originally scheduled for July, was postponed after Fury suffered an ankle injury in June..

Fury defeated Klitschko by a 12-round unanimous decisionlast November in the RING Upset of the Year for 2015. The 28-year-old Englishman also was named Fighter of the Year honor by this publication.

Since that time, controversy has never been too far away and Fury is likely to lose his world title belts without ever defending them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Manny Pacquiao Will Stop Vargas in Five Rounds, Says Trainer

by Edward Chaykovsky

Eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38KOs) will only need five rounds to end the reign of Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10KOs), according to assistant trainer Jonathan Penalosa, who is the older brother of former world champion Gerry Penalosa.

Pacquiao will challenge Vargas on November 5th at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Top Rank, who promote both fighters, will handle the pay-per-view. Undefeated Olympian Jose Ramirez, who like Pacquiao is trained by Freddie Roach, is giving Pacquiao some hard rounds of sparring in the ongoing training camp in the Philippines.

“Manny is now 60 to 70 percent in good fighting form based on my own opinion,” Penalosa told The Manila Times in an interview. “He had a tough sparring session last week because Ramirez is also a good boxer.” When asked for his opinion on the outcome, Penalosa believes Pacquiao could close the show by the fifth. Vargas captured the title in March when he knocked out unbeaten Sadam Ali to snag the vacant belt. “"I believe Manny could win by a fifth round technical knockout and that’s my personal opinion so far. Manny will become stronger and faster as the fight goes near. I guess coach Freddie (Roach) is impressed with Manny’s latest condition,” Penalosa said. Roach had been concerned with a recent sparring session when Pacquiao fatigued and was struggling to keep up with Ramirez. The boxer was worn down after a week of camp and handling a lot of senatorial duties. Pacquiao’s personal adviser Mike Koncz told the paper that Pacquiao is in best shape so far and his performance in the recent sparring session with Ramirez looked very great. “Saturday’s sparring looked great and fine,” Koncz told The Manila Times in a phone interview. “I think he’s 70 to 80 percent ready. Ramirez is doing well in sparring.”

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:03 pm 
Heavyweight

Nonito Donaire and Jessie Magdaleno expect slugfest on Pacquiao undercard

Lance Pugmire

Jessie Magdaleno believes the strength and energy of youth will make him a champion.

Nonito Donaire is counting on his experience and timeless passion for boxing to retain his World Boxing Organization super-bantamweight belt.

The mystery of the outcome will remain until Nov. 5, when the meeting of Magdaleno (23-0, 17 knockouts) and Donaire (37-3, 24 KOs) is seen by many as the better of two bouts pitting a Las Vegas fighter and a product of the Philippines.

That night’s pay-per-view main event at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas is the World Boxing Organization welterweight title bout between champion Jessie Vargas and former eight-division champion Manny Pacquiao.

“Both Jessies from Las Vegas beating both big fighters from the Philippines,” Magdaleno said. “That’d be something.”

At Tuesday’s undercard news conference at L.A. Live’s Conga Room, Magdaleno, 24, couldn’t hide his excitement for the co-main-event bout that could give him his first world title.

He’s training in Carson alongside unbeaten new WBO featherweight Oscar Valdez, and said the sessions have proved beneficial.

“I can relate to him. I’m just as old as he is.  He’s accomplished his goals. I’m ready to accomplish mine,” Magdaleno said. “We feed off each other. He has a belt like the one I want, and he sees in me the hunger as I train and work hard.”

Magdaleno has a significant weigh-in test before the bout. He hasn’t fought under the super-bantamweight limit of 122 pounds since January 2015, and he weighed 131½ pounds for his most recent bout in February.  

“That’s everybody’s concern. It’s not my concern. I can make that weight, it’s going to be an easy task,” Magdaleno said. “The time’s here. I’ll take full advantage of it. I believe youth is going to overpower [Donaire].”

Donaire, 33, has won four consecutive bouts and scored three knockdowns en route to his April title defense in the Philippines.

He’s thrilled to finally be on a card with Pacquiao and predicted a Filipino sweep of the final two bouts.

“Experience has to be desire, as well. You always need tenacity and determination because youth and experience don’t matter unless you have your mind, body and soul into preparing yourself,” Donaire said. “And then I’ll utilize my experience of knowing exactly where the kid’s going to be.”

Both fighters are expecting an early end to their bout.

“It’ll come down to who has the heart to keep going,” Magdaleno said. “I’m a big risk taker. Risks make champions. I’ve got to be the stronger, smarter fighter and once he feels my power, he’ll have an entirely different mentality.”

Magdaleno assesses that Donaire has stamina issues which he intends to press. But Donaire expects to take energy from a large Filipino cheering section.

“I’m ready to answer [Magdaleno’s theory]. That’s inexperience,” Donaire said. “You should always know I get better every time I fight. If he expects me to be tired, he’s going to lose.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:32 pm 
Heavyweight

Boxer Jose Ramirez training  again with Manny Pacquiao in Philippines

BY ANTHONY GALAVIZ
agalaviz@fresnobee.com

Jose Ramirez is in the Philippines. No, not for a vacation.

The Avenal pro boxer is there again to train with future Hall of Famer Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2), who will return to the boxing ring Nov. 5 in Las Vegas against Jessie Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) for Vargas’ WBO world welterweight title.

Pacquiao last fought April 9 and defeated Timothy Bradley Jr. by unanimous decision. After the fight, Pacquiao retired and then ran for a seat in the Philippine Senate. He was elected in May.

Pacquiao’s boxing retirement was brief, and Top Rank announced in July he would be returning to the ring.

This is Ramirez’s second time training with the eight-division world champion in the Philippines, as the 24-year-old from Avenal prepares for his Dec. 2 fight at the Save Mart Center against an opponent to be named later.

“I’m happy to see what I’ve developed since then,” said Ramirez, who last fought July 9 and defeated Tomas Mendez by knockout. “Like any fighter, I would like to see he (Pacquiao) shows respect to me inside the ring throughout the sparring. I want to see that sign. A fighter with that experience and showing respect to me as a fighter inside the ring … that’s a good accomplishment and will bring my confidence up.”

Ramirez’s promoter/agent Rick Mirigian said his fighter will never decline a chance to spar with Pacquiao. Both boxers are trained by Hall of Famer Freddie Roach.

“The ability to spar and train with one of the best fighters the sport has ever had and travel across the world is what goes in to becoming a world champion,” Mirigian said. “Ramirez is no stranger to hard work and sacrifice.”

Ramirez (18-0, 13 KOs) didn’t believe Pacquiao would stay retired coming off his victory.

“That last fight was a confidence-booster for him,” he said. “He beat Bradley, and that was a good win for him. There was no doubt in his last fight.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:02 pm 
Heavyweight

Mayweather Sr. Confident Floyd Still Beats All Top Guys at 147

By Edward Chaykovsky

Former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (49-0, 26KOs) retired last September after winning a twelve round decision over former welterweight beltholder Andre Berto at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Since that announcement, speculation has been widespread over whether or not Mayweather will actually come out of retirement. Mayweather denies the possibility of a comeback fight, his father and trainer - Floyd Mayweather Sr. - believes his son will return for at least one more ring outing to get his record to 50-0.

Even though his son is nearly 40-years-old, Floyd Sr. feels confident that he can still defeat the top fighters in the welterweight division. The main welterweight players at the moment at include WBA champion Keith Thurman, WBC champion Danny Garcia, IBF champion Kell Brook, WBO champion Jessie Vargas, Errol Spence, Shawn Porter and of course Manny Pacquiao. "Well, you’d be surprised, you will be surprised how Floyd will do, you will be surprised. If he gets ready to fight, I will make sure that he’s in there to win, and he will win. I know a lot about boxing and I know a lot of things to do to beat some of these guys that are still out there that are thinking they are gonna be the next Floyd," Mayweather Sr. told On The Ropes Boxing Radio. "Those guys that’s out there, just like I said, I can still get Floyd to do what he’s been doing. I’m telling you, I’m pretty sure of that. I think Floyd can still win against some of those bigger guys that are at a higher stage right now in the boxing game, I think Floyd pretty much still whoop all of them. But he ain’t be out that long though! He’s been out long enough, but he ain’t been off that long."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 482  Next