Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:12 pm 
Heavyweight

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 pm 
Heavyweight

On ex-Clippers Blake Griffin's first 3 games with the Detroit Pistons:

Detroit has won three in a row with Griffin in the lineup after acquiring him in a trade last week. Following a win over Miami on Saturday, Van Gundy said the Pistons might be playing through Griffin too much. He still led Detroit in scoring Monday, but the Pistons had plenty of threats.

The victory pulled the Pistons back to .500 and even with Philadelphia for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Griffin had 21 points, nine rebounds and six assists, and did a good bit of his offensive damage from the perimeter, making three 3-pointers. .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:06 am 
Heavyweight

In the mean time, the Clippers defeated the Dallas Mavericks in a close contest last night. The Clippers are now 2-0 after the Griffin trade.

Clippers score last 13 points, rally past Mavericks 104-101
STATS AP Feb 06, 2018
LOS ANGELES (AP) After playing more than 50,000 minutes, Dirk Nowitzki has certainly made a name for himself.

Even if it's still hard to spell sometimes.

On a night when his last name was botched on the back of his jersey, the Dallas forward became the sixth player in NBA history to reach 50,000 career minutes. He finished with 12 points but the Mavericks collapsed down the stretch in a 104-101 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers.

Nowitzki said he didn't notice until after the game that his name was misspelled on his uniform.

''I actually just saw it,'' he explained. ''I had no idea. It happens. I guess it sums up our season.''

Danilo Gallinari had 28 points, including the go-ahead free throws with 24 seconds left, and the Clippers scored the last 13 points of the game to rally past a Mavs team that went scoreless over the final 4:42.

Tobias Harris had 19 points for Los Angeles, and Lou Williams added 15 off the bench.

''This felt like a steal game, because we didn't play well and they shot the heck out of the ball,'' Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. ''To steal a game like this, you feel like you got two games.''

With the Clippers up by one after Gallinari's free throws, DeAndre Jordan won a jump ball with 4.5 seconds remaining and tipped it to Avery Bradley for a fast-break layup that made it 104-101.

Yogi Ferrell had a chance to tie it with 0.4 seconds to play, but he stepped out of bounds before his shot bounced off the rim.

''When you're playing from in front, you've got to protect the ball and get good shots and we struggled to do both,'' Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said.

Wesley Matthews led the Mavericks with 23 points and Devin Harris added 16 off the bench.

Nowitzki passed Elvin Hayes (exactly 50,000 minutes) for fifth place on the career list in the regular season. Nowitzki has played an additional 5,895 minutes in the playoffs. Next among active players on the regular-season minutes list is Utah's Joe Johnson at 43,806.

TIP-INS

Mavericks: F Harrison Barnes was held out with a sore left ankle. . Carlisle on Nowitzki: ''I just really believe Dirk's record of high level of excellence, of longevity, durability, is one of the most remarkable I've ever seen in sport.'' ... Carlisle does not expect the Mavs to be active before Thursday's trade deadline: ''I don't think we're going to make any trades. Of course, that's been my opinion every year in the 16 years I've been coaching. This time of year there's a lot of talk, and normally not a lot of activity.''

Clippers: G Austin Rivers (ankle) might return to action Friday in Detroit. He has missed 18 games. ... The Clippers had a season-high 38 fast-break points in their previous game against the Bulls, the first game for Harris and Bradley with Los Angeles since they were acquired from Detroit. Doc Rivers said the up-tempo game was by design. ''We told Tobias and Avery, it doesn't matter who gets it, that's the start of the break,'' he said. ''We don't look for a point guard and then get the ball up the court. We're gone.''

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 am 
Heavyweight

ano to wagon thread?

FYI subrang dami na ng lakers at clippers thread dito.... mga loyal fans pa gumawa :biglaugh:

::: LAKERS LOYALIST #24 ::: ::::: WAGONERSSS S@CK :::::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm 
Heavyweight

:lol: :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 pm 
Heavyweight

Nag merge na ang Lakers and Clippers??? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 am 
Heavyweight

LA Clippers' Lou Williams Signs 3-Year Contract Extension Before Trade Deadline
BY ANDREW N. WHITE @DREWGOESIN ON 02/07/18 AT 2:39 PM
While the impending trade deadline has most NBA teams in a frenzy, the Los Angeles Clippers inked a contract extension with guard Lou Williams, according to reports.

The Clippers secured Williams on a three-year deal after reports indicated that both parties had been close to reaching an agreement before Thursday’s deadline.

The contract will include a team option on the third year, Yahoo Sports reported Wednesday. The former Sixth Man of the Year drew attention from teams around the league looking to make a trade.

Williams and the Clippers have been actively discussing an extension for over a month. The 31-year-old guard looked to remain on the team, where he is averaging 23.3 points and 5.3 assists this season. Williams was in the last year of a three-year $21 million contract he signed in 2015 with the Lakers, according to ESPN.

The Clippers acquired Williams, along with Patrick Beverley, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker, DeAndre Liggins, Darrun Hilliard, Kyle Wiltjer and a 2018 first-round pick in a blockbuster trade with the Houston Rockets for All-Star Chris Paul in June.

Williams went on a 50-point tear during a Clippers 125-106 victory over the Golden State Warriors on Jan. 11. The 13-year-veteran ​shot 16-of-27 from the field, 8-of-16 from the three-point during his 35-minute performance, with 27 of his points arriving in the second quarter.

"Just start playing with a lot of confidence," Williams told ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt when asked about the game. "I think somewhere in that third quarter I was able to get three 15-foot jumpers in a row. After that, it was all uphill from there. I just felt like I could make any shot after that."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:28 am 
Heavyweight

According to Yahoo Sports, Los Angeles signed Williams to a three-year extension Wednesday. The exact details of the deal have not yet been announced.

Los Angeles Clippers guard Lou Williams has agreed to a three-year contract extension, league sources tell Yahoo.

The 31-year-old is averaging career-highs in points (23.3) and assists (5.3) per game and has the Clippers just half-game out of the eighth playoff spot in the Western Conference.

With Williams off the market the focus likely will shift to Grizzlies guard Tyreke Evans, who has drawn the interest of several teams, including the Celtics and the Cavaliers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 am 
Heavyweight

Clippers lock up Lou Williams with three-year contract extension
By BRODERICK TURNER
FEB 07, 2018 | 1:10 PM

Clippers lock up Lou Williams with three-year contract extension
Clippers guard Lou Williams is averaging career highs in points, assists, three-point shooting and free-throw shooting. (Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press)

A day before the NBA's trade deadline, the Clippers locked up sixth-man extraordinaire Lou Williams to a three-year contract extension that could keep him in L.A. until 2021 and assured that he will not be traded this season.

Williams, who was in the last year of a deal that pays him $7 million, agreed Wednesday to the deal with the Clippers. The exact amount of the contract was not made available, but its third year is partially guaranteed.

Williams, 31, said he was relieved to get the deal done.

"It was nice for this organization to commit to me the same way I've committed to these guys this year," Williams said before practice at the Clippers' facility in Playa Vista. "In years past, these scenarios don't usually go my way. So it was nice for one to go my way and be somewhere I wanted to be."

Williams is averaging career highs in points (23.3), assists (5.3), three-point shooting (38%) and free-throw shooting (90%).

He leads all reserves in scoring off the bench, averaging 22 points per game.

He's had four 40-plus point games this season, including a career-high 50-point explosion against the Golden State Warriors.

Knowing that he wanted to stay with the Clippers during his extraordinary season, Williams said he let agent Wallace Prather and Lawrence Frank, the Clippers' president of basketball operations, handle the negotiations.

"To keep my frustration level down, I always let my agent to speak for me and deal with everything," Williams said. "We kind of have a preliminary conversation with where we are as far as terms and numbers, and then once we agree to that, I put it in his hands. And kudos to him and L [Lawrence] for getting it done. But it came together pretty quickly."

Williams, 31 said he was tired of being moved around the NBA as a hired gun.

Last season, the Lakers traded Williams to the Houston Rockets on Feb. 22, 2017.

The Rockets then traded Williams to the Clippers last June as a part of the Chris Paul deal.

"I feel like I'm a quality basketball player and usually quality basketball players don't get moved so much, but I understand," Williams said. "I had a relatively cheap deal. Considering that the numbers that I had, it was an expiring contract and that's enticing to teams trying to make a playoff run and they need bench scoring. I understand the business part of it.

"But personally, it's like my kids didn't know who to root for anymore. They were confused. They walk around with Rockets shorts and Lakers jerseys. They just didn't know what was going on. So it's just nice to have that one consistent to know you're going to be somewhere for an extended period of time."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 am 
Heavyweight

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/los-angele ... 018020908/

Pistons vs. Clippers @ Detroit on 2/9/2018
Pistons (27-26) with 5-0 winning streak (4-0 with ex-Clippers Griffin playing)
Clippers (27-25) with 2-0 winning streak (2-0 with ex-Pistons Tobias Harris and Avery Bradley playing)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:39 am 
Heavyweight

Cavs send Thomas, Frye to LA in trade with Lakers
POSTED 12:23 PM, FEBRUARY 8, 2018, BY JEN STEER, UPDATED AT 12:59PM, FEBRUARY 8, 2018

CLEVELAND– The Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Lakers worked a deal hours before the trade deadline, reports say.

The Cavs are sending Isaiah Thomas and Channing Frye to LA, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported on Thursday. In exchange, Cleveland receives Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr.

Nance was born in Akron and is the son of Larry Nance, who played with the Cavaliers from 1988 to 1994. He’s set to compete in the All-Star Game Slam Dunk contest next week at the Staples Center.

Wojnarowski said the Lakers are also getting the Cavs’ 2018 first-round pick, which is protected. This is not the first-round pick the team got from the Nets.

Thomas, acquired in the trade that sent Kyrie Irving to Boston, made his debut with the Cavaliers in January after recovering from a hip injury. He’s struggled since his return to the court and has been linked to locker room conflicts.

Frye joined the Cavs in 2016. The center is averaging about 5 points per game this season. He won over fans with his antics with former Cavalier Richard Jefferson and became a veteran presence.

Last edited by Barabarabay on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:41 am 
Heavyweight

Good for Jordan Clarkson. Hopefully, he'll become part of a team that could contend for the championship.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:47 am 
Heavyweight

Isaiah Thomas is off to L.A. because the Cavs don't want LeBron James to leave
by Dan Devine

One monster performance and game-winning shot wasn’t enough to convince the Cleveland Cavaliers they’d fixed what’s been ailing them for months. The question now: has the Cavs’ attempt to salvage what’s left of this season brought them closer to catastrophe once it ends?

Owner Dan Gilbert and general manager Koby Altman took a long, hard look at the state of play in Cleveland — 7-13 since Christmas, with the league’s second-worst defense and third-worst net rating in that span, and more in-house drama than you could fit into two seasons’ worth of reality TV — and took a wrecking ball to their roster before Thursday’s trade deadline. The first act of demolition: sending point guard Isaiah Thomas, center Channing Frye and the Cavs’ own protected 2018 first-round draft pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for guard Jordan Clarkson and forward Larry Nance Jr, as confirmed by Yahoo Sports NBA insider Shams Charania. ESPN and The Ringer first reported the framework of the deal.

By trading their own first-round pick this year, the Cavs are now officially restricted from trading the Brooklyn Nets’ unprotected 2018 first-rounder, which they received in the summertime blockbuster that imported Thomas from the Boston Celtics in exchange for Kyrie Irving, until after the draft. Not that that’s stopped the Cavs from making more deals before the deadline.

The trade came mere hours after Thomas expressed his desire to stay in Cleveland, despite an abysmal start to his career in wine and gold. The two-time All-Star has struggled mightily to regain his form, fitness and rhythm since returning to the court following seven months on the shelf rehabilitating a torn hip labrum. In 15 games back, Thomas has averaged 14.7 points, 4.5 assists and 2.1 rebounds in 27.1 minutes per game, shooting a career-worst 36.1 percent from the field and 25.3 percent from 3-point range.

Thomas has also been a major defensive problem for a Cleveland team that already struggled to corral ball-handlers at the point of attack. Since his return, the Cavs allowed 106.4 points per 100 possessions with Thomas off the floor, and a staggering 118.6 points-per-100 with him on it. In essence, whenever IT’s been in the lineup, Cleveland’s average opponent has performed like an All-Star team dosed with Super Soldier Serum just before tipoff.

That’s not all Thomas’ fault. There’s plenty of blame to go around for the Cavaliers’ defensive sins. Nor is it Thomas’ fault that, just five weeks removed from returning after a career-halting hip injury that forced him to completely re-learn how to move his legs — kind of a big deal for a 5-foot-9 guard whose game has long been predicated on using quickness and craft to wrongfoot defenders — he’s not yet back to the world-beating form that made him a top-five MVP candidate. But the Cavs need to be better now. They can’t wait for that anymore.

Thomas hasn’t helped on offense — Cleveland’s scored 3.7 more points-per-100 with the high-volume-but-inefficient IT out of the lineup since his return — and has been perhaps the league’s most flammable player on the other end. He has also reportedly played a central role in the internecine squabbling that’s festered inside the Cavs’ locker room (and fan base) during their recent downturn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:05 am 
Heavyweight

PF-C Channing Frye is 6'11" and, at 34, is old by NBA standards. He is a cousin of newly-acquired Clipper Tobias Harris. Welcome to LA!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 am 
Heavyweight

Thomas, PG standing at 5' 9", was named after former Detroit Pistons Hall of Fame point guard Isiah Thomas when his father, James, bet his friend that his favorite team, the Los Angeles Lakers, would defeat the Pistons in the 1989 NBA Finals (which the Pistons won in a four-game sweep). Even though the younger Thomas ended up being born months before the Finals took place, James had already warmed to the name. However, his mother, Tina Baldtrip, insisted on spelling it Isaiah, as she desired a biblical name.[1][2] He was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington.[3] As a child, he had the nicknames "Bighead" (or Head) from his father and "Zeke" from his mother, after the other Isiah Thomas's nickname.