Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:01 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 am 
Heavyweight

With four Mindanao teams competing in MPBL, Zamboanga Valientes determined to prove worth

The Valientes will be led by Reed Juntilla, Leo Avenido, Rob Sanz and Pagadian’s own Jonathan Parreno. Christian Jacinto

EXCITEMENT is running high at the Zamboanga Valientes camp as they prepare for their maiden conference in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League.

The squad doesn’t boast of star power but the team is confident it has more than enough to compete, relying heavily on veterans Reed Juntilla, Leo Avenido, Rob Sanz and Pagadian’s own Jonathan Parreno.

Avenido still has commitments in the Thai league, but the rest have been preparing for quite a while under head coach Ednie Morones and are confident that they’ll be ready when the conferences opens this month.

“Okay na ang team namin, kumpleto na kami. Marami na kaming tune up na nailaro. Okay na yung preparation namin, talagang handa na kami,” said Juntilla who last played for GlobalPort in 2013.

What pushes the squad to shoot for the stars is the overwhelming support that they’ve been getting since formally announcing the formation of the team.

It’s been a long time since Zamboanga formally had a basketball team this big and with four teams from Mindanao competing in the tournament, the Valientes, backed by Family’s Brand Sardines, are determined to prove their worth.

“Dahan-dahan nag-gel na ang team. Talagang we’re going for the win cause we want to make our kababayans from Zamboanga proud,” said Morones who also vows to find more homegrown talent from the region.

“Alam naman natin.Marami magaling na galing from Zamboanga like (Mark) Barroca, RR Garcia and (Mike) Tolomia so ang gusto talaga natin ay makakita pa ng bagong talents from Zamboanga.

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/zam ... lwq1txZ.99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am 
Heavyweight

Bong Go says forthcoming MPBL stint meant to help in promotion of basketball

SAP Bong Go participates in a fun shootout during a break in play in the Fiba 3x3 World Cup. Jerome Ascano

BONG Go said he will suit up for Muntinlupa in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL) in order to promote the game of basketball in the countryside.

Go said he accepted an invitation from the Cagers management to play in the MPBL Anta Datu Cup, but admitted he is no more than a ‘saling pusa’ compared to the likes of Bobby Ray Parks, whose Mandaluyong team they will play in the season opener.

His forthcoming stint in the MPBL has come under fire from some fans who branded it as 'electioneering,' but the Special Assistant to the President said his only goal is to contribute in the promotion of basketball.

“Sa totoo lang po, ayoko pong magsinungaling pero saling pusa lang po talaga ako doon. Kakalabanin mo sila Bobby Ray Parks at iba pa. Talagang mga higante ‘yan. May edad na po tayo," said the 44-year old public official.

“Sa akin lang, masaya ‘yung tao at ma-promote ang basketball by area or by cities po,” said Go.

On Saturday, Go took part in a side event in the Fiba 3x3 World Cup where he teamed up with Senators Joel Villanueva and Sonny Angara in a three-point shootout against TNT cager Terrence Romeo.

Go is actually the co-chairman of the organizing committee of the Philippine hosting of the Fiba 3x3 World Cup, proving that the government fully supports the hosting.

“Napaka-importante na kapag nakita ng ibang countries na maganda ‘yung pagho-host natin, it will promote tourism,” said Go.

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/new ... mQy2DIh.99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacquiao firm on MPBL cap on Fil-foreigners: 'Nasasapawan kasi mga Pilipino'

MPBL owner Manny Pacquiao says he has no plan to lift the rule limiting the 26 league teams to one Fil-foreigner standing no taller than 6-4. Marlo Cueto

MANNY Pacquiao remained firm on the ‘one-Fil-Foreigner-per team’ rule in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL), saying he doesn't want to put Filipinos at a disadvantage.

Talking to reporters after the opener of the Anta Datu Cup, Pacquiao said that he has no plans of lifting the cap or allowing teams to hire imports despite the backlash over a 'discriminatory' rule.

The eight-division world boxing champion even used the PBA as an example, saying the glory days of Asia's first professional basketball league came before the influx of Fil-Foreigners in the league.

“Wala muna. Nasasapawan kasi mga Pilipino. Dati, malakas PBA nung puro Pilipino. Humina nung maraming import,” Pacquiao said.

“Ang maganda rito, connected siya sa LGU… maraming nakapaglaro. Actually, nagkaubusan nga ng players dahil sa MPBL. Maganda itong MPBL. Maraming mabibigyan ng chance makita yung galing ng Pilipino,” he added.

Aside from the opportunity given to homegrown Filipinos, Pacquiao said that rule limiting teams to one Fil-foreign player no taller than 6-foot-4 is also safeguards the balance of the regional league.

“Balanced naman 'yan. Istrikto tayo na magpa-ano ng players. (Kaya) bawal 'yung Fil-Am over 6’4 at isa lang bawat team,” he added.

All controversies aside, Pacquiao’s league has grown by leaps and bounds since its launch in January. From 10 teams, the league expanded to 26 in just six months and Pacquiao said fans can expect the field to rise to 30.

"May mga sasali pa nga dapat, pero late na sila e, apat yung gusto pang sumali,” Pacquiao said. “Open pa rin naman kami sa expansion. Ang limit ko lang naman, pwede pa siyang mga anim na team."

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/man ... yZQJfvX.99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:06 pm 
Heavyweight

Yves Sazon posts double-double as Marikina routs Gensan in smashing MPBL debut

Marikina's Yves Sazon torched Gensan for a game-high 33 points. Marlo Cueto

MARIKINA came out firing in its debut in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL) as it ran through General Santos 88-81 in the opener of the Anta Datu Cup on Tuesday at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

Yves Sazon proved head and shoulders above everyone as he scored 33 points on 6-on-11 shooting from the field to go along 10 rebounds, four assists, a steal and a block in 36 minutes of action.

The Philippine Christian University star led a 33-12 attack in the second quarter, draining three treys in that stretch as Marikina opened a 49-33 lead at halftime and never looked back.

Ex-Pro Erwin Sta. Maria and San Sebastian stud Alvin Baetiong finished the job from there, never allowing the Warriors to get closer than seven points.

“Yung mga players kasi may kaunting nerbiyos. Most of them, ngayon lang nakalaro sa ganitong level,” said Marikina head coach Elvis Tolentino.

On Sazon, Tolentino said: “He knows what I want. Siya lagi ang example sa mga bago. Sabi ko sa kanya, tira lang. Kung malas siya, ako na bahala mag-adjust.”

Sta. Maria added 18 points and seven rebounds as Renato Ular added 11 points and 15 rebounds in the win.

Actor Gerald Anderson’s highly anticipated debut in the league was delayed as the actor explained that he was out with a hamstring injury.

Leomar Losentes finished with 18 points and six assists for the Warriors, whose team is mostly composed of players from Golden State Colleges in GenSan.

Christopher Masaglang added 17 points while John Orbeta had 15 in the loss.

The scores:

Marikina 88 - Sazon 33, Sta. Maria 18, Ular 11, Sang 7, Mescallando 7, Ybanez 5, Baetiong 4, Do 3, Gonzalez 0, Roy 0, Bautista 0, Mendoza 0, Butel 0, Catipay 0,

General Santos 81 – Losentes 18, Masaglang 17, Orbeta 15, Mahaling 10, Yusop 6, Vijandre 5, Basco 4,Demafelis 3, Villaruel 2, Goloran 1, Bartolo 0, Clavel 0, Morada 0, Rancho 0, Autor 0,

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/mar ... T7EeVAF.99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm 
Heavyweight

Ray Parks after foul-plagued MPBL debut: 'I know they don't want me in this league'

Ray Parks is left fuming after being called for four offensive fouls in his MPBL debut. Marlo Cueto

RAY Parks was brutally frank when he spoke to reporters following Mandaluyong’s 86-74 loss to Muntinlupa in his Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL) on Wednesday at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

The two-time Asean Basketball League local MVP got his numbers in the loss, posting 21 points, 10 rebounds and four assists but struggled to stay on the floor as he was hobbled by foul trouble.

Parks got called for an offensive foul four times, which left him riding the bench for long stretches.

With him being the centerpiece of the controversial ‘One Fil-Foreign per team’ rule, Parks, son of seven-time PBA best import awardee Bobby Parks, was straight to the point in saying that he felt like he was the target of the referees.

“I know, like I said, they don’t want me in this league. I’ll be honest. They don’t want me in this league. I could make that statement tomorrow or whenever, I’m saying it. They don’t want me in this league,” said Parks who lived his early years in Mandaluyong before growing up Paranaque.

“First time I’ve ever seen in my life, four offensive fouls. I attended the orientation, I know what a foul is. I know what an offensive foul is. They don’t want me here,” he added.

Aware that he can become more of a target, particularly after this statement, the former National University star said that he’ll just take it as a challenge moving forward.

One thing that he’s thankful for is the chance to play for the home crowd, saying that he enjoys putting on a show for ‘as much as he could,’ or for as long as the referees would let him play on the court.

“You take it as a challenge. It’s another day. They don’t want me here but I’m here. I know they don’t want me here. This is gonna be trending but they don’t want me here. I knew that coming in, they don’t want me here,” Parks continued.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
“It’s my home though. I enjoy playing in front of the crowd as much as I could (laughs) at the end of the day, they don’t want me here,” he added.

The 6’4 wingman was clear that he won’t be playing in the league for long as he plans to just honor his commitment to the El Tigre and finish out what was agreed upon between him and the owners.

With his comments after his first game, that’s not a surprise anymore.

“At the end of the day this is a stepping stone for me. I’ll be honest. It’s a stepping stone. I’m not gonna be here long.”

Follow the writer on Twitter: @CAJacinto11

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/ray ... ZWHT5EH.99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 pm 
Heavyweight

Gerald Anderson bummed to sit out anticipated MPBL debut due to hamstring injury

Gerald Anderson reduced into a spectator in Marikina's MPBL debut game. Marlo Cueto

GERALD Anderson’s scheduled debut with Marikina in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL) was set back by a nagging hamstring injury that relegated the actor-baller to the role of cheerleader in the Shoemasters’ 88-81 win over the General Santos Warriors on Tuesday.

Anderson said that he was racing against time to get fit after hurting his hamstring a week before the season opened. He was disappointed to miss it, but also understood that he needs to be in top shape to play at this level.

“Nagkataon na nangyari yung injury sa akin week before. Sinubukan ko gawin lahat. Medyo malungkot at broken-hearted ako kanina. Matagal ko to inabangan, but ganun talaga,” said Anderson.

“Okay naman e, parang kumbaga kung liga-liga lang ilalaro ko talaga to. Pero ibang level ito e,” he added.

Make no mistake about it, Anderson is more than just a pretty face in this team.

Marikina ead coach Elvis Tolentino said that he expects the Kapamilya actor and avid triathlete to be one of the key players in his squad.

“Si Gerald one of the players na inaasahan ko aside from (Yves) Sazon. Malaki ang expectations ko kay Gerald,” said Tolentino.

Knowing that his game will be under scrutiny, Anderson is taking it upon himself to perform well as he tries his luck in semi-professional basketball.

“Kung mataas expectation niya sa akin, lalo na ako. Kung walang taping, may session ako sa bahay. Iba na ito e. Di to basta-bastang liga. Mas pangarap ko nga to kesa mag-artista e. But yun nga yung path ko,” Anderson.

The 29-year-old guard shared he’s been going out of his way juggling dual roles as one of the most recognizable stars in showbiz and a semi-pro player for the Shoemasters.

He’s thankful for teammates who’s helping him adjust amid the hectic schedule.

“Sobrang thankful ako na may opportunity. Thankful ako sa mga teammates. Tinutulungan nila ako araw-araw. Humahabol ako. Ang bait ng teammates at ang bait ng coaching staff,” Anderson explained.

“Minsan ako na mismo nag-aayos. Yung Star Magic di sila sanay na isa sa mga artista nila gusto maglaro ng basketball. Ako na mismo ang nagaayos sa schedule ko. Tinatanong ko nga lagi si coach, yung schedule ng games at practices, para makarating ako,” he added.

Fans can expect him make his debut next week when they visit powerhouse Muntinlupa, and he vows to be fit by then.

“Yung second game, nag-commit talaga ako. Bbyahe talaga kami. Yeah, I’ll be healthy enough.”

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/ger ... xtr8D8v.99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 am 
Heavyweight

Sen. Manny Pacquiao, the man behind the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League, said the trophy is worth nearly P10 million.

Pacquiao stakes P10 million trophy for MPBL winner Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) - June 14, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — On top of the bragging rights as the first MPBL national champion, the winner of the Datu Cup, which unfolded last Tuesday, will win a very special trophy.

It’s made of 18-karat gold and weighs close to five kilos.

Sen. Manny Pacquiao, the man behind the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League, said the trophy is worth nearly P10 million.

It will not be passed around from one champion to another.
“It stays with the champion team,” said Pacquiao, who took a break from his training in General Santos City to grace the opener at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

“They will be fighting for that trophy. For the next conference, we will have a new trophy,” the boxing icon told reporters.

From only 10 teams last January, the MPBL now has 26 participating teams. The 16 expansion teams paid an entry fee of P10 million.

The founding members, Pacquiao said, had to shell out a measly P500,000.

Those who bought it for half a million pesos, the senator said, have increased their value 20 times more – easily.

The teams are LGU-based (local government unit), and already there are entries from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, making it truly a national championship.

Pacquiao revealed one franchise owner turned down an offer of P8 million for the one he bought for P500,000 just five months ago.

“Even those who bought their franchise for P10 million have gotten richer because next time, we will increase the fee to P50 million – at least,” said Pacquiao.

For now, the MPBL glitters like gold.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 am 
Heavyweight

Abu Tratter gives up on MPBL bid, laments 'unprofessional' handling of measurement

[img]image:%20https://contents.spin.ph/image/2018/06/13/abu-tratter-DP.jpg[/img]
Abu Tratter will instead put his focus on the Gilas cadets as well as with Marinerong Pilipino after being measuring over the height limit in the MPBL. Dante Peralta

ABU Tratter shed light on his decision to no longer pursue his desire to play in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL), citing what he felt was an 'unprofessional' handling of his case.

“I believe that it wasn’t really about the height, but really something deeper than that,” the former La Salle slotman said.

Tratter was supposed to play for the Bataan Defenders this conference, but didn't bother to show up for his second measurement session after what he felt was a dubious processing of the league of his initial evaluation.

The Fil-Am big man was placed at 6-5 in the first measurement, which ruled him ineligible no thanks to the MPBL’s height limit for Fil-foreigners at 6-4 that rule was enforced starting this conference.

“I felt like it was disrespectful and the way that they measured me in the first time was very unprofessional. So I decided to not just go to the second measurement,” he said.

He wasn’t the lone casualty of the controversial rule.

Fil-Am swingman Lawrence Domingo was set to play for the Mandaluyong El Tigre, until the expansion team was forced to pick between him and Alab Pilipinas teammate Rayray Parks by the league limit on Fil-foreigners.

“There’s a lot of cases, and it wasn’t just me, that the players are being measured for what reason? So that they can exclude people?” he asked. “I think that in this time and age, it’s not right for people to be segregated just based of either height or appearance.”

Even though he’ll no longer be suiting up for the team, Tratter still wishes nothing but the best for Bataan in its campaign in the 2018 Anta Datu Cup.

“Bataan definitely supported me all the way through. I was looking forward on having all the opportunities that coach Jojo Lastimosa, his management team, and his coaching staff had for me, but unfortunately, the MPBL had some rules that are set that stops me from playing,” he said.

“I would be supporting them all the way through. I wish them all the best of luck and I hope they win it all.”

For now, Tratter has his sights set on continuing his run with the Gilas Pilipinas cadets as well as returning to Marinerong Pilipino in the 2018 PBA D-League Foundation Cup.

“I’ll continue to play for Gilas and right now, I’m looking forward to play for Marinero in the D-League where I’m welcome,” he said. - With reports from Gillian Geronimo

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/abu ... fh7U8F2.99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 am 
Heavyweight

Shorthanded Batangas Athletics, rejigged Caloocan Supremos win MPBL debuts

BATANGAS City Athletics-Tanduay missed several key players in a game the Quezon City Capitals-Black Mamba, but the inaugural MPBL champ still has enough gas left in the tank.

The Athletics bucked the absence of key players Val Acuña, Jhaymo Eguilos and Mon Rogado and turned to Bong Galanza to pull off a 95-90 win in in their season debut at the Caloocan Sports Complex.

Galanza, picked up by the Athletics in the offseason after he was released by Kia in the PBA, scattered 28 points behind a proficient 5-of-7 shooting from beyond the three-point arc.

In the main game, the Caloocan Supremos-Longrich finally snapped a five-game skid dating back to last season to turn back the Pasig Pirates-Gameville, 91-81, for only the second home win in franchise history.

Mar Villahermosa finished with 18 points, six rebounds and three assists. He led six players in double figures for the team.

Ex-pro Jopher Custodio and Cedric Labing-isa added 13 points apiece while Joseph Nalos contributed 12. Prized recruits JR Cawaling and Paul Sanga chipped in 11 apiece as the Supremos completed a come-from-behind victory.

The Supremos had to climb back from 14 points down, 42-56, in the early stages of the third period.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @spinph

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/und ... qlI03RC.99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 am 
Heavyweight

Rival MPBL fans doubt Fil-Israeli Felix Apreku's eligibility, but no question about his ability

Felix Apreku dominates the boards for Muntinlupa, leading fans to question his nationality. Marlo Cueto

NOT even Felix Apreku is safe from the watchful eyes of the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League when it comes to citizenship.

Apreku came under scrutiny for being a Fil-Foreigner right before Muntinlupa’s 86-74 win over Mandaluyong on Wednesday night, but was all focused once he got the green light to play.

The 6-foot-2 forward – born in Israel but grew up in Northern Samar – played like a true “import” as he hauled down 16 boards to go along with 10 points, showcasing the same fire and grit that he had during Letran’s improbable NCAA title run in Season 91.

That type of performance had fans of the opposing team questioning his nationality, but Apreku is having none of it.

“Hindi ko po alam yung ganun kasi ‘di ko alam yung issue. Focus lang po ako sa game,” said Apreku, who’s had to deal with questions regarding his citizenship ever since he won the championship in the NCAA.

“Alam naman natin yan. Sa Letran pa lang tayo. Pinipilit nila. Haters gonna hate,” he said with a smile.

Undersized at the four spot, Apreku’s nose for the ball and high-octane energy make up for his lack of ceiling, making him a valuable contributor for the Cagers.

Apreku insisted that his focus is on finishing what the team started last conference when it lost to Batangas in four games in the finals.

“Focus lang ako sa game ko. Gutom na gutom kami dahil sa nangyari sa amin last conference na natalo kami sa championship,” Apreku said.

With Muntinlupa adding some valuable young pieces like Reggie Basibas, Chester Saldua and Jamil Ortouste, Apreku is confident that they can go all the way this time around.

“Oo. Last conference, wala kaming katulong, pagod kami lagi ni Chito (Jaime), ngayon may nakuha kaming pang-back up sa amin. Kunwari malas, may papalit sa amin tulad nila Basibas, Saldua at Ortouste."

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/fel ... exTjQJr.99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:10 am 
Heavyweight

Thanks to MPBL, basketball world beginning to see how good Naascu standout Yves Sazon is

Marikina guard Yves Sazon breaks loose for a score against Gensan. Marlo Cueto

WHILE fans anticipated the debut of notable names such as Ray Parks, Prince Rivero and Gerald Anderson, little-known Yves Sazon stole the show in the opener of the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL).

The Philippine Christian University standout came out sizzling as he led Marikina to an 88-81 victory over General Santos in the curtain raiser of the Anta Datu Cup at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on Tuesday.

Sazon finished with 33 points on 6-of-11 shooting from three-point land to go along with 10 boards, finally showcasing the skills that made him the worst-kept secret among players in the little-known NAASCU league.

His head coach Elvin Tolentino wasn’t surprised anymore. In fact, the fiery mentor demanded more from him.

“Si Yves, he knows what I want. Sabi ko sa kanya, tira lang, kapag malakas siya, ako na bahala mag-adjust,” said Tolentino.

“Hindi na ako nagulat. Kulang pa nga e. Malaki talaga ineexpect ko sa kanya,” he added.

Sazon is coming off a so-so outing with Navotas Clutch in the league's maiden season. But with his coach continuing to keep the faith, Sazon is just merely repaying the confidence.

“Parating sinasabi sa amin ni coach, mentality namin, winning attitude. Last season, natuto na ako sa mga mali ko,” said Sazon. “Pinaghandaan ko to individually kasi kulang pa kami sa time mag-gel. Nag-extra work ako."

With the attention and the spotlight now on them, Sazon believes that this puts him one step closer of reaching his dream which is to one day make the PBA.

With Tolentino’s guidance and his unceasing appetite to improve, Sazon believes he’ll get there someday.

“Yes. Perfect ito. Magandang liga, sikat at maraming fans. Kaya gina-grab ko ang opportunity na binigay sa akin ni coach Elvis. Hindi ko sasayangin,” Sazon said.

“Ito na yun, malapit na. Nagtitiwala pa rin ako kay coach Elvin na hindi nila ako pababayaan.”

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/yve ... lA27uTj.99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:11 am 
Heavyweight

Reed Juntilla stars as Zamboanga deals host Laguna a tough loss in MPBL debut

REED Juntilla was unstoppable in the fourth period as he led Zamboanga-Family's Brand Sardines to an 86-80 away win over Laguna in its MPBL debut at the Alonte Sports Complex on Thursday.

Juntilla scored 12 of his 30 points in the fourth quarter to keep the Heroes at bay. His jumper with 1:06 remaining all but put the game away for the Valientes, 84-78 lead.

Zamboanga's pride Jonathan Parreno added 18 points as JV Orera chipped in 13.

Denok Miranda scattered 26 points and six assists for the Heroes as Jai Reyes contributed 14 points in the loss.

In the first game, Billy Ray Robles proved steady at crunchtime as Davao Occidental pulled off a close 75-71 win over Imus.

Robles finished with 15 points to lead the Tigers, with six coming in the final three minutes to wrap things for Davao.

Ex-pro Mark Yee also gave a good account of himself with 13 points and 12 rebounds as Leo Najorda finished with 12.

Jeffrey Tajonera led the way for Bandera with 13 points as Jerwin Gaco added 11.

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/ree ... deMcd8e.99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:53 am 
Heavyweight

8) cool

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│
© ΘRIGINAL PRΘFILE ®

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:59 am 
Heavyweight

Makati Skyscrapers gunning for no less than a championship in MPBL debut

The Makati Skyscrapers are soaring for no less than the championship in its rookie season in the MPBL. Christian Jacinto

THE Makati Skyscrapers might be a young, expansion squad but they're definitely aiming high once they make their debut in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL) in the upcoming Anta Datu Cup.

Coach Cholo Villanueva will be mentoring a majorly youthful squad, led by the sweet shooting Phillip Paniamogan alongside several collegiate standouts to banner the flag for Makati.

Mark Isip and Rudy Lingganay will be serving as the veterans for the squad as they shoot for the stars in their debut conference.

"Because we're representing Makati, we want to be number one and win a championship. We'll take it one game at a time but our main goal is the championship," said Villanueva. "That's why we joined the MPBL is to win the championship."

For Villanueva, he hopes that the fresh legs and the early preparation will work to their advantage.

"Our preparation is about six weeks. Our team is young so yun ang advantage namin, yung quickness, yung youth. We want to be a run and gun team so very important ang conditioning."

Isip is also looking at his younger teammates to carry the load, particularly with a plethora of defensive schemes on their team.

That's certainly one way of utilizing those young legs.

"We would use the full length of the court. Marami kaming press, marami kaming defensive scheme," Isip said.
"Di lang opensa ang exciting, yung defensive side ng basketball, nagffocus din kami dun."

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/mak ... dgdP2c7.99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:39 am 
Heavyweight

Aris Dionisio steals spotlight from heralded teammates as Manila nips Bataan in MPBL debut

Aris Dionisio gets the spotlight after shining brightest among his Stars teammates. Christian Jacinto

ARIS Dionisio rose to the occasion for Manila as it opened its Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL) campaign with a thrilling 89-82 home win over Bataan on Saturday at the San Andres Gym in Manila.

Playing in a team full of ex-pros and scorers, it was the young Dionisio who shone brightest as he finished with 21 points, seven rebounds, three shot blocks, and two steals to lead the Stars in the battle of early favorites in the tournament.

Dionisio capped off his performance with a breakaway lay-up with 15 seconds to go to give the home team an 87-82 lead and eventually seal the game for good.

"Naglaro lang kami ng tama. Kailangan namin depensehan shooters nila. Karamihan sa kanila tumitira so hirap talaga kami," said Manila head coach Philip Cezar.

"Outrebounded rin kami, malalaki sila but still yung aming mga offensive player bumuhay," he added.

Adrian Celada added 18 points as Reil Cervantes added 15 points. Marvin Hayes had 13 as Roger Yap had 11 assists to go along seven points and four steals.

Byron Villarias paced the Risers with 17, Pamboy Raymundo finished with 14 as Alfred Batino added 13 points and 14 rebounds in the loss.

The scores:

MANILA 89 – Dionisio 21, Celada 18, Cervantes 15, Hayes 13, Yap 7, Sabellina 6, Bitoon 4, Rodriguez 3, Lopez 2, Laude 0, Cruz 0

BATAAN 82 – Villarias 17, Raymundo 14, Batino 13, Alejandro 12, David 7, Grospe 6, Inigo 6, Celiz 6, Tolentino 1, Dagangon 0, Faundo 0

Quarterscores: 19-20,42-42, 69-64, 89-82

Read more at https://www.spin.ph/basketball/news/man ... 27TD0Pe.99

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next