Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Parang bigger version ni Westbrook si Giannis. 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:08 pm 
Heavyweight

Bawi na lang tayo next season...
Bata pa naman si Giannis..
He still have time to improve...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:15 pm 
Heavyweight

Report: Bucks' chances at re-signing Giannis Antetokounmpo could depend on making 2020 NBA Finals

Jack Baer
Yahoo Sports Contributor
Yahoo SportsMay 26, 2019, 1:06 PM

With their Game 6 loss to the Toronto Raptors in the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday, the Milwaukee Bucks’ season has come to a close.

Despite the disappointment of a somewhat earlier-than-expected playoff exit, a prevailing thought was the Bucks and the 24-year-old Giannis Antetokounmpo would be back and heading into the NBA Finals at some point.

Turns out the team might need that Finals trip sooner than expected.

Could Giannis Antetokounmpo spurn the Bucks’ supermax deal?
Thanks to his All-NBA first-team selection on Thursday, Antetokounmpo will be eligible to sign an NBA-record five-year, $247 million supermax extension next summer with the Bucks, according to ESPN’s calculations. Obviously, that is a massive chunk of change.

And yet, Antetokounmpo, one of Wisconsin’s most beloved athletes ever, isn’t sold yet on signing the contract.

Immediately after the Bucks’ loss on Saturday, ESPN’s Malika Andrews reported that the team’s chance at re-signing Antetokounmpo could depend on whether or not the team makes the NBA Finals next season:

Antetokounmpo has consistently made public proclamations of his love for Milwaukee, as he grew up and became acclimated to American culture in Cream City after moving from Greece. Antetokounmpo adores the Bucks medical staff. His mother moved to Milwaukee. But he is all about winning. In more concrete terms, a source close to Antetokounmpo said that getting to the NBA Finals is not just an ambition, it could tip the scales as he weighs his contractual future.

And if they can reach the NBA Finals next season, the Bucks can improve their chances of signing Antetokounmpo to the supermax in the summer of 2020.

So, yeah, making the NBA Finals next year might suddenly be of franchise-altering importance for the Bucks, a small-market team with a rare chance to lock up the prime of one of the NBA’s elite players.

The plot thickened even further when Antetokounmpo abruptly walked out of his post-game press conference on Saturday when Andrews asked him an unrelated question.

Re-signing Antetokounmpo likely depends on a number of factors outside the Bucks’ control, most notably where this summer’s biggest free agents end up. The road to the Finals becomes a lot bumpier if Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant all end up in the East, with two of them potentially on the same team.

However, if the name of the game is really convincing Antetokounmpo the Bucks are a long-term winner, it could all depend on what the Bucks are able to do with their roster over the next year.

How are the Bucks set up for the future?
The biggest decision on the Bucks’ horizon has already been addressed. They want to sign Antetokounmpo, even if it costs 35 percent of their salary cap. He’s that good.

Moving lower on the priority list, there are some more difficult decisions. The Bucks signed Eric Bledsoe to a four-year, $70 million deal earlier this season, but the team still has three starters it needs to address.

Milwaukee Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo reacts during the first half of Game 5 of the NBA Eastern Conference basketball playoff finals against the Toronto Raptors Thursday, May 23, 2019, in Milwaukee. (AP Photo/Morry Gash)
Could the Bucks become the newest small-market team to lose their superstar? (AP Photo/Morry Gash)
More
All-Star Khris Middleton will almost certainly decline his $13 million player option this summer, while starters Malcolm Brogdon and Brook Lopez are set to hit free agency. Key reserve Nikola Mirotic is also a free agent, while a decision will have to be made about backup point guard George Hill.

As good as Antetokounmpo is, the five players in the above paragraph were also key to the Bucks’ rise through the East and it will be borderline impossible to retain them all. Then again, maybe there’s a better player around the corner the Bucks can snag to replace one of them.

It has been 18 years since the Bucks were this close to the NBA Finals, but work clearly remains to be done. Whether or not the Bucks can find and/or keep the players to do it next year could have major repercussions for the NBA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 am 
Heavyweight

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo named NBA MVP over James Harden

Ben RohrbachYahoo SportsJun 25, 2019, 11:16 AM
Yahoo Daily Fantasy

You forget that Giannis Antetokounmpo is only 24 years old.

The Milwaukee Bucks forward became the 10th-youngest Most Valuable Player in NBA history when results were revealed at the third annual NBA Awards Show on Monday in Santa Monica, California. Antetokounmpo ended Houston Rockets guard James Harden’s reign to win what many now believe will be his first of multiple MVP honors in his career. Harden and Oklahoma City Thunder forward Paul George were the other finalists.

A panel of 100 media members comprise 50 percent of the vote for NBA awards. Players and fans split the remaining 50 percent. Results will be made available.

The Bucks star is the youngest recipient since Derrick Rose became the youngest winner ever at the age of 22 in 2011. The rest of the list of 10 youngest MVPs in history, based on age at the end of the regular season, is a Hall of Fame ledger:

Derrick Rose (2011): 22 years, 191 days

Wes Unseld (1969): 23 years, 9 days

Bob Pettit (1956): 23 years, 92 days

Bob McAdoo (1975): 23 years, 193 days

Wilt Chamberlain (1960): 23 years, 201 days

Lew Alcindor (1971): 24 years, 14 days

Moses Malone (1979): 24 years, 16 days

Bill Russell (1958): 24 years, 28 days

LeBron James (2009): 24 years, 104 days

Giannis Antetokounmpo (2019): 24 years, 125 days

Everyone else on that list but Rose went on to win a championship, six of them won multiple MVP honors in their careers and five of them won more than one title. This is the company Antetokounmpo now keeps, where the odds are in his favor to win this award again and pair it with at least two championship rings, barring injury.

Antetokounmpo finished the regular season just 21 days older than when LeBron James won his first of four MVP honors. Within three years, James was a three-time winner and a first-time champion. That is now the standard for Antetokounmpo.

This season ended in disappointment after his Bucks won an NBA-best 60 regular-season games. They led the Toronto Raptors 2-0 in the Eastern Conference finals and 105-103 in the second overtime of Game 3, but Kawhi Leonard neutralized Antetokounmpo in winning four straight games en route to a title and Finals MVP.

The Raptors exposed Antetokounmpo’s one true weakness in the playoffs, building a wall of defenders to ensure he would have to beat them from the perimeter. He didn’t, and he vowed afterward to The Athletic’s Eric Nehm that he would come back a more efficient perimeter playmaker in what will be his seventh NBA season.

“And it’s something from Year 5 to Year 6, I was like, ‘Yeah. OK, I put on seven pounds of muscle. Bro, I’m the most dominant guy in the f---ing league. I’m just going to go and f---ing dunk it,’” he told Nehm in the aftermath of the loss to the Raptors. “You can get away with it to a point. It’s good if you’re able to do it, but I gotta be more skilled. I gotta get back to my old self. Think like a guard, not as a big.”

In the regular season, when Antetokounmpo faced fewer dominant defenses designed to stop him, he was the game’s most dominant two-way player — a freakishly athletic 6-foot-11 specimen playing any and all positions on both ends of the court. His 27.7 points on 17.3 field-goal attempts (64.4 true shooting percentage) and 5.9 assists against 3.7 turnovers per game made him a more efficient offensive player than Harden (36.1 points on 24.5 shots per game for a 61.6 true shooting percentage and an average of 7.5 assists against five turnovers), who used almost 10 percent more of his team’s offensive possessions this season.

Throw in Antetokounmpo’s 12.5 rebounds and 2.8 combined blocks and steals per game, along with his unrivaled ability to defend from the rim to the perimeter with what seems like a single step, and he was the anchor of the NBA’s best defensive team in the regular season. It is no wonder he was also a Defensive Player of the Year finalist, threatening to join Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon as the only players to win league MVP honors and the top defensive award in the same season.

Jordan was 25 years old when he accomplished that feat. Olajuwon was 31. You should be starting to get the sense that Antetokounmpo is joining some rarefied NBA air, and he’s not even old enough to rent a car without incurring a youth tax.

This is all reassuring financial news for Antetokounmpo, who was already in line for the largest contract in NBA history in 2020 — a projected five-year, $247 million supermax extension from the Bucks. According to ESPN’s Malika Andrews, a trip to the Finals next season could be the deciding factor in his decision to commit to Milwaukee for the long term. And as we all know, speculation about a player’s free agency two years before he hits the market is the true mark of a modern superstar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:09 pm 
Heavyweight

Gratz to the Greek Freak.......
But we know who's freaking best in playoffs/Finals......
King Klaw = King of the North = GOAT........ :whistle:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:19 pm 
Lightweight

He deserves to be the MVP!!

By the way, this man is one of my reason why I would like Kawhi to transfer to Clippers.

His skillset growth is superfast like Leonard.

He knows what to do with his play.

I see that he is unguardable (guarding w/out committing a foul) next season, even by Kawhi.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm 
Heavyweight

Congratz Giannis.....you deserved it!!!

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Teary-eyed MVP Giannis credits late father for pushing him toward his goals
by BETH HARRIS, AP
1 HOUR AGO

SANTA MONICA, California — The Milwaukee Bucks fell two games short of the NBA Finals.

They won big at the NBA Awards.

A tearful Giannis Antetokounmpo earned Most Valuable Player honors and Mike Budenholzer won Coach of the Year on Monday night (Tuesday, Manila time).

Antetokounmpo, a 24-year-old forward from Greece, beat out Paul George of Oklahoma City and James Harden of Houston, who won last year.

Antetokounmpo averaged 27.7 points and 12.5 rebounds while earning All-NBA first-team honors this season, his sixth with the Bucks. He led the franchise to the best record in the regular season and the Bucks reached the Eastern Conference finals.

Tears rolled down his cheeks as Antetokounmpo thanked his mother and brothers who were in the audience at Barker Hanger. He credited his late father for pushing him toward his goals and credited his teammates and coaching staff for their help.

Budenholzer also got choked up while thanking his family after his second coaching honor. He earned the trophy for the first time with Atlanta in 2015.

He guided the Bucks to a 60-22 record in the regular season in his first year with the franchise, leading them to the Eastern Conference finals, where they lost to eventual NBA champion Toronto.

Budenholzer also coached Team Giannis in the All-Star Game last season.

He beat out Denver's Mike Malone and Doc Rivers of the Los Angeles Clippers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 pm 
Heavyweight

“I want to thank my dad,” Antetokounmpo said. “Obviously, my dad is not here with me, but two years ago, I had to go in my head that I'm going to be the best player in the league, that I'm going to do whatever it takes to help my team win and that I'm going to win the MVP.

“Every day that I step on the floor I always think about my dad and that motivates me and it pushed me to play hard and move forward even when my body's sore, even when I don't feel like playing, I always go and show up and I’m always going to do the right thing."

Antetokounmpo also thanked his brothers, calling them “role models.” His brothers had to fight tears as well, especially when Antetokounmpo started talking about their mother.

“She’s my hero,” Antetokounmpo said. “When you’re a little kid, you don’t see the future. If you have a good parent, your parent sees the future for you. She always saw the future in us, she always believed in us, she was always there for us. She’s the foundation of this family. You’re my true hero.”

The speech ended with Antetokounmpo addressing the one thing he did not accomplish this season.

“This is just the beginning. My goal is to win a championship, as my dad taught me. Always want more and never be greedy. My goal is to win a championship and I will do whatever it takes to make that happen.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm 
Heavyweight

Hope Giannis does not go the Dwight Howard path.......
Though it looks like he's on Shaq's way to dominance.......
East is stacked. There are 3 or 4 legit contenders.......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Duncan wrote:

Hope he'll become a dominant force in years to come like Shaq...
Yung tipong no one can stop him once he has the ball...

Improve nya lang ang jumpshooting nya...

Prediction: at least 3 MVPs for this man...
And maybe at least 2 rings...

Sana wag sayangin ng Milwaukee ang chance..
Time to stack up the lineup and exploit the heydays of Giannis...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 pm 
Heavyweight

JABEZJ wrote:
Duncan wrote:

Huwaw may 2 rings at 3 MVPs agad........ :biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm 
Heavyweight

Duncan wrote:
JABEZJ wrote:
Duncan wrote:

Kaya nga prediction eh... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 pm 
Heavyweight

JABEZJ wrote:
Duncan wrote:
JABEZJ wrote:

Kaya nga prediction eh... :lol: :lol:

O sige tutal mahilig ka naman sa prediction........
Ano prediction mo ke The Klaw = King of the North = GOAT....... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:04 pm 
Heavyweight

Duncan wrote:
O sige tutal mahilig ka naman sa prediction........
Ano prediction mo ke The Klaw = King of the North = GOAT....... :lol:

First thing's first...

Una, hindi GOAT si Klaw..
Marami pa siyang kakaining bigas para maging GOAT... :lol:

Sige, my prediction...

If Kawhi will be satisfied with the money which will be offered by Clippers, he will sign with them..
Say 247M in 5 years, that will be the biggest money he'll ever receive..

If not, he'll stay with the Raptors for a year or two...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next