Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:55 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on Gilas U19
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:04 am 
Heavyweight

Gilas U19 did not get a win at the recent U19 World Cup. Here are my thoughts:

1. AJ Edu got injured in the first game. That immediately eliminated our twin-tower threat.
2. More ball movement. They usually end up with isolation plays.
3. Better three-point shooting. They won't win big games if they don't get higher percentages from downtown.
4. Better freethrow shooting. Really important especially in close games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:43 am 

My thoughts :

1. All teams are bigger and better all the way. The kids were able to hang a bit better against Argentina and that's a good accomplishment in itself. Remember we hardly quality in this tournament in the past.

2. Since basketball is deeply ingrained in our 'Cult-ture' then i guess the investment both emotionally and financially are worth it. :D

3 The program. I think basketball officials should invest more in the Kids rather than the mens team. The sr team can be competitive right away because it is allowed an import or 'naturalized' player :D so me short cuts sa seniors.

4. The Future. we got Kai, yeah he is promising. but we saw how 'ordinary' he looks againts European big kids :( He needs to improve a lot. Japan already has Rui Hachimura... a legitimate international basketball force aged 21 and selected in the NBA draft at # 9. Scout for a import already. Blatche cant hang much longer. and maybe/hopefully Clarkson can play in Fiba tournaments.

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:55 pm 
Heavyweight

Kai just turned 17, going against young men aged 18/19. That age gap is huge in this age group bacause we are talking about a year or two of training and experience. For Kai to more than hold his own against these older guys is an accomplishment in itself. Imagine him training and playing for two years more and then compete in this level. That's what you would see in the next iteration of u19 wherein he'd be one of the oldest. Expect dominance.

It takes forever to know everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:03 pm 

doubleblade29 wrote:
Kai just turned 17, going against young men aged 18/19. That age gap is huge in this age group bacause we are talking about a year or two of training and experience. For Kai to more than hold his own against these older guys is an accomplishment in itself. Imagine him training and playing for two years more and then compete in this level. That's what you would see in the next iteration of u19 wherein he'd be one of the oldest. Expect dominance.

I am HOPING.

Thanks

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:14 pm 
Heavyweight

They're getting their behind whipped by Australia again.

Still a small team specially the guard, SG and Fw position.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:19 pm 
Heavyweight

theDon wrote:

1. AJ Edu got injured in the first game. That immediately eliminated our twin-tower threat.
3. Better three-point shooting. They won't win big games if they don't get higher percentages from downtown.

They are good.

A bit undersized in some position. When the opponents crank it up they have to respond with a bit of speed. Out speed the opponent because Gilas is smaller.

I have seen that lil nugget guy on Gilas blow pass his defender consistently.But the other guard Pinopio and that Fortea get guarded easily.They hold up the ball and get the defense set and locked in.

But they are good team though just needs better back court.

As for the front line.

I want Kai to get stronger because he has small hands and can't hold on to the ball. Maybe if he can hold his position without getting pushed around he might grab some of those balls.

I would cut Tamayo. Doesn't do much on the court same with Chiu much the same production from him 0 pts, 1 rebound, 0assist.

AJ edu and Kai up front is good for now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:34 am 
Bantamweight

theDon wrote:

Same observation, especially for bullet no.3 & 4. If we have only at least 2 to 3 players with high accuracy in outside shooting especially at 3 pt line this will lessen-up the defense on Kai…because Kai can score at low post. The coaching staff should give a high emphasis on plays for outside shooting ..it doesn’t mean to disregard the iso plays…what I have seen in this tournament the foreign teams which are more taller are the one who are taking more shots from the 3 point line with a high percentage. I saw some instances that foreign teams sometimes taking hesitation when kai is in the middle,, Kai’s presence will be an advantage to us if only we have streak outside shooters.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:48 am 
Heavyweight

miron_lang wrote:
My thoughts :

1. All teams are bigger and better all the way. The kids were able to hang a bit better against Argentina and that's a good accomplishment in itself. Remember we hardly quality in this tournament in the past.

On that note, other nationalities physically mature earlier than Pinoys. Our under 19 look like boys compared to full-grown men from other teams. Look at Kai and Geo Chiu, and compare them to the centers from Senegal, Australia, or the USA. Their centers are physically fully developed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:18 pm 
Heavyweight

Getting their *** whipped by China.

These small guards can't blow pass Chinese press or double team. Nor can they stay in front of these bigger, taller, and faster Chinese counter parts.If the guard gets beat there should be a big man to cover the Chinese penetration. Poor defending.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:58 pm 
Light Heavyweight

Numero uno wrote:

These small guards can't blow pass Chinese press or double team. Nor can they stay in front of these bigger, taller, and faster Chinese counter parts.If the guard gets beat there should be a big man to cover the Chinese penetration. Poor defending.

Ildefonso, Tamayo deliver as Gilas Youth rips China for first U19 World Cup win

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/gilas-pilipinas-youth-vs-china-2019-fiba-under-19-world-cup-dave-ildefonso-carl-tamayo-a2437-20190706

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:03 pm 
Heavyweight

zuma wrote:
Numero uno wrote:

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/gilas-pilipinas-youth-vs-china-2019-fiba-under-19-world-cup-dave-ildefonso-carl-tamayo-a2437-20190706

At least we got a consolation win against China. Good job, boys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 pm 
Heavyweight

Maybe we need to improve with the coaches as well...
I hope we can bring in somebody who has some relevant experience in international competition...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm 
Heavyweight

zuma wrote:
Numero uno wrote:

They did better rotating and picking up the penetration of China. Also did well in getting past the defense of China and dumping it in the paint for an easy shot or kick it for a wide open threes. 8) The key was the ability to get by the bigger Chinese and have scrambling allowing some snick attacks in the interior or just outside shots.

The other key was really just rotating better. The guards were getting hang up on the top key and got beat by China at will but the help came and the boys scrambled to cover. Kai and Chui were manning the middle. But I see the guards picked up their defense and not allowing Chinese to just drive in they stayed in front and hustled well.

Stand out for me was Tamayo. Good shooting nice and he was able to get inside and weave his way in for beautiful moves.Very balanced offense scored inside and outside.

Kai is too soft. Can't seem to hold his position or hold the rock just can't secure the ball at this stage needs to strengthen up.

Overall this small team is not bad and will be a force in Asia, i mean for China and Korea.Not Australia or NZ they are too good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:02 pm 
Heavyweight

Tamayo MVP.

These guards specially that short 1, Abadiano was getting abused in the post by NZ bigger guards.
Also he is Buwaya played hero ball and turned the ball over at a critical position.Dealfonso also has tunnel vision wants to go solo, 1 against 30 defenders and turned over the ball at crucial part of the game. But overall not a bad performance.I think Abadiano and Fortea should be cut. I know it's harsh but they are liability on defense.

Panpio pg
Dealfonso Sg
Tamayo SF
Aj Ed PF
Kai- Center.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 pm 
Heavyweight

They had the game in their hands over New Zealand, but had crucial mistakes toward the end. My thoughts on the game:

1. Kai looked tired for the entire game. There were lots of occasions when he had the ball but lost it.

And Kai's physical posture (he hunches) does not intimidate anyone. He should really get a back brace to correct his posture while he's still young. He looks weak because he hunches. I wish he would stand erect like David Robinson.

2. Tamayo played really well. He truly deserved his spot.

3. We did miss AJ Edu in the game. Probably had a better result with him playing.