Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:05 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Where will you rank Pacquiao as ATG?
1-3 79%  79%  [ 31 ]
4-6 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
7-10 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
11-15 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
16-20 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
21-25 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
26+ 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:16 pm 
Heavyweight

After winning against Thurman and breaking several records along with it, where will you rank Pacquiao?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:49 pm 
Heavyweight

I put him in the Top Three based on his Resume Alone... Number One in Fact.

Five Lineal Titles

Eight Weight Division Champion

Defeated nearly a Dozen Hall of Famers and over Two Dozen Champions

I don't ever see anyone coming close to equaling those Accomplishments in my lifetime

There is no other Resume in Boxing that I would rather have, including Sugar Ray Robinsons

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 pm 
Welterweight

How many 8 weight division champs is there.
How many 19 yr olds became flyweight world champions
How many 40 yr old welterweight champions are there
How many 5 weight lineal world champs is there
Manny should be in the top 3 in my opinion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 pm 
Heavyweight

HUNA wrote:

As of this writing, GrandPac defeated 21 (22 including interim) world champions which includes 3 HoFers... Far from nearly a dozen HoF and over 2 dozen champs...

But anyway, I just want to share a quote from BoxingScene:

Quote:
What a performance by Manny Pacquiao, who won a split decision over Keith Thurman to win the most widely recognized WBA "super" version of the welterweight title. With the victory -- and I had Pacquiao ahead by a point -- he has achieved a lot of boxing history. Consider:

* Pacquiao is the first fighter ever to win widely recognized versions of the 147-pound title on four occasions, breaking his tie with three-time winners Jack Britton and Emile Griffith.

* At 40 years 225 days, Pacquiao becomes the oldest fighter ever to win a widely recognized belt at 147 and the first to do so after age 40.

* Pacquiao now holds the number one, four and five spots in terms of oldest fighters to win a widely recognized 147-pound world title. He was 36 years 333 days old when he decisioned Jessie Vargas in November 2016, and 35 years 125 days old when he defeated Timothy Bradley Jr. in April 2014.

* Pacquiao is the only fighter to win widely recognized welterweight titles after the age of 35 on three occasions (W 12 Bradley, W 12 Vargas, W 12 Thurman)

* Pacquiao has become the first and only fighter in boxing history to win widely recognized world titles as a teenager and as a 40-year-old. He was 19 years 357 days old when he won the WBC flyweight title and is 40 years 225 days old tonight.

* Pacquiao is 30th on the all-time list of youngest world champions, and, by beating Thurman, he won a widely recognized world title at the seventh oldest age of all time and became the fifth oldest individual to do so. The four men ahead of him are Bernard Hopkins -- who won three shares of championships at 49 years 106 days, 48 years 65 days and 46 years 137 days -- George Foreman at 45 years 310 days, Thulane "Sugar Boy" Malinga" at 42 years 19 days, and Cornelius Bundrage at 41 years 36 days). He also joined "younger" 40-year-olds Sam Soliman (40 years 209 days) and Bob Fitzsimmons (40 years 193 days). Malinga also won a belt at 40 years 92 days.

* Pacquiao has become the second fighter ever to extend his championship arc past 20 years (20 years 233 days to be exact). He won his first major title on December 4, 1998 and won his latest on July 20, 2019. Only George Foreman's arc of 22 years 163 days is longer (won his first belt on January 22, 1973 and relinquished his final widely recognized belt -- the IBF title -- on June 29, 1995), but Foreman was retired for more than a decade while Pacquiao remained active throughout.

* Now that Pacquiao has defeated Thurman, he likely will become the first fighter to hold a widely recognized belt in four different decades because he'll likely not fight again until 2020 (he's held titles in the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s).

NOTE: All calculated ages include "leap days" lived, for Feb. 29 is a day lived just like all other days we are alive. Therefore, due credit must be given.

For the record, I picked Thurman to win the fight because I did not think Pacquiao could duplicate the work rate of his prime years. Tonight, he averaged 57.1 punches per round, throwing 80 in the fourth, 71 in the fifth and 60 in the eighth, plus, he out-threw Thurman in eight of the 12 rounds. I, along with many others, were proven wrong. Given the same circumstances, I'd make the same pick for the same reasons, but the possibility of unexpected and historic performances is one of the many reasons why I love boxing so much.

Congratulations to Manny Pacquiao for his well-deserved and hard-fought victory, and all the best to the former champ Keith Thurman, who was, in his initial comments, sportsmanlike and classy. - Lee Groves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 am 
Heavyweight

thedarkdragon 11...

Yes , I did add a handful of sure Future Hall of Famers that haven't been enshrined yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 am 
Welterweight

If he wins a second "Fighter of the Decade" award I would put him at #1.
Otherwise, #2.

I am basing my ranking according to awards and championship record.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:04 am 
Light Heavyweight

HUNA wrote:
I put him in the Top Three based on his Resume Alone... Number One in Fact.

Five Lineal Titles

Eight Weight Division Champion

I don't ever see anyone coming close to equaling those Accomplishments in my lifetime

There is no other Resume in Boxing that I would rather have, including Sugar Ray Robinsons

Agree. In addition, he won belts as a part-time boxer, having been a congressman and now a senator. For all we know, he could be a vice-president or president champion, which is highly probable in 2022. But I advise him to take it easy in the ring and try not to get hit often.

Success is measured not by what you have achieved,
but by the degree of satisfaction you derive from it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am 
Heavyweight

HUNA wrote:
thedarkdragon 11...

Yes , I did add a handful of sure Future Hall of Famers that haven't been enshrined yet.

Let's see...

Already in the HoF: Barrera, Morales, De La Hoya
Potential HoF: Marquez, Cotto, Mosley, Bradley, Broner

simimik wrote:
If he wins a second "Fighter of the Decade" award I would put him at #1.
Otherwise, #2.

I am basing my ranking according to awards and championship record.

#2 for you then... Canelo will win the FotD...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:48 am 
Heavyweight

thedarkdragon11 wrote:
After winning against Thurman and breaking several records along with it, where will you rank Pacquiao?

Voted! but this is the thing ,if he's an American,its automatic he will be considered GOAT. By the way, whose your next pick for his opponent? the easy one dapat sana like Khan or Garcia .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:53 am 
Heavyweight

Kailangan niyang talunin si Gayweather para sure na nasa top # 1- 3 siya :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:00 am 
Heavyweight

batang kamuning wrote:
thedarkdragon11 wrote:

Voted! but this is the thing ,if he's an American,its automatic he will be considered GOAT. By the way, whose your next pick for his opponent? the easy one dapat sana like Khan or Garcia .

That's true... Americans will overhype him if he's an American... But I think it's also a blessing in disguise that GrandPac isn't... At least we get to see his true value without much bias... Just imagine, he could still reach that level without being overhyped by the US media...

For me, he should fight Danny Garcia, Sergey Lipinets, Andre Berto or Amir Khan... Mikey Garcia would be a good choice, too, for another future HoFer from the list of his victims but I don't think GrandPac can still handle him being a prime technical boxer...

Errol Spence, Shawn Porter and Terence Crawford would murder him so he should stay away from those 3... But knowing GrandPac plus PBC intervention, he will probably fight the Spence-Porter winner on January...

dan44 wrote:
Kailangan niyang talunin si Gayweather para sure na nasa top # 1- 3 siya :)

He won't gain that much from beating AXF at this point... AXF is long gone as a pro... Sure, it will add another boxer from his victims list of world champions, future HoFers, and undefeated boxers but that's it...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:12 am 
Heavyweight

No. 1 in the pound for pound list. His record-setting 8 division titles to go along with 5 lineal championships from flyweight up to lightmiddleweight in a span of over 2 decades is unprecedented.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am 
Light Heavyweight

3rd behind Ray Robinson and Ali..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:35 pm 
Heavyweight

Yup, if Pac is an American, he could’ve been GOAT already especially after the Thurman fight. His achievements are beyond compare. SRR was a big welter feasting on smaller men. We’re more impressed with a little guy beating the bigger, taller and supposed to be stronger men to a pulp.

The Ring magazine 2002

1. Robinson
2. Armstrong
3. Ali
4. Louis
5. Duran
6. Pep
7. Greb
8. Benny Leonard
9. Sugar Ray Leonard
10. Whitaker

ESPN May 2007