Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:04 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am 
Lightweight

Currently there are only 5 boxers who became P4P King twice.
And they are the following:

Manny Pacquiao- 2010, 2016
Floyd Mayweather- 2005, 2011
Bernard Hopkins- 2001, 2004
Sugar Ray Leonard-1980, 1987
Mohammad Ali- 1974, 1978

Another record that Pacquiao can accomplish when he fights and wins against Spence is to be the only three-time P4P King (in 2020) and will help solidify the argument of becoming the "P4P King of all Era" that the American Max Kellerman is preaching.

For me, I would rather want to see PacSpence than PacMayII.

Why? Because though Spence hits harder than Mayweather, the former is not a "hugger".

Hence, PacSpence is more winnable for Pacquiao.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3jF3ZloxmkI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 pm 
Heavyweight

Possibly in 2020 if he fights and beats the winner of Spence-Porter.........
A fight with Floyd produces nothing except money; Pac just loses a decision there (even if we think he wins).........

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:27 pm 
Flyweight

simimik wrote:

Mohammad Ali- 1974, 1978

Another record that Pacquiao can accomplish when he fights and wins against Spence is to be the only three-time P4P King (in 2020) and will help solidify the argument of becoming the "P4P King of all Era" that the American Max Kellerman is preaching.

Why? Because though Spence hits harder than Mayweather, the former is not a "hugger".

As far as I can remember, Pacman was not P4P number 1 in 2016. He was ranked 8th by Ring magazine and 2nd by TBRB. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm 
Welterweight

Duncan wrote:
A fight with Floyd produces nothing except money; Pac just loses a decision there (even if we think he wins).........

Agree with this...
Quote:
Pac just loses a decision there (even if we think he wins)
They (US-Las Vegas) will never allow Pacquiao win by decision, the only chance of Pacquiao winning is by KO which is unlikely to happen. Mayweather is so elusive and when he's hurt, he's tight as a crab when clinching.

TS.. your source maybe ESPN's pound 4 pound list, we all know that the Ring Magazine is the basis of the true P4P king.

“I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot…
when you think about the consequences
you always think of a negative result.”
~Michael Jordan, Basketball

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:01 pm 
Heavyweight

Pacphobia wrote:
simimik wrote:

Mohammad Ali- 1974, 1978

As far as I can remember, Pacman was not P4P number 1 in 2016. He was ranked 8th by Ring magazine and 2nd by TBRB. :shock:

He's not by the lights of The Ring (only once: 2008-2012) and TBRB (AFAIK not even once)... It's the WBN who recognized him as such in those years... They're the ones who publicize that possibility...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:41 pm 
Heavyweight

TS, pakilagay na lang link ng source mo so we know how to respond properly.........
We are assuming it's The Ring or BWAA or to a lesser extent ESPN but most rely on The Ring's ranking when it comes to P4P.......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:21 pm 
Heavyweight

lateralisis wrote:
Duncan wrote:

Agree with this...
Quote:
Pac just loses a decision there (even if we think he wins)
They (US-Las Vegas) will never allow Pacquiao win by decision, the only chance of Pacquiao winning is by KO which is unlikely to happen. Mayweather is so elusive and when he's hurt, he's tight as a crab when clinching.

TS.. your source maybe ESPN's pound 4 pound list, we all know that the Ring Magazine is the basis of the true P4P king.

Yup that's why i'm still surprised why many Paclanders still want a Pac-Floyd rematch, well some say Pac can now win over Floyd and could knock him out, others say the amount of money is still very enticing - good for a retirement pay, and some others say Floyd cant hurt Pac anyway so its less risky than say fighting Spence or Crawford.

But how about Pac's legacy when he loses again? Most think Pac is already greater than (not necessarily better, skills wise) Floyd. That's undeniable particularly after Pac won a major welter belt at 40s against a prime, undefeated champ. If Floyd beats Pac, the latter will just drop in ATG ranking and in the eyes of many (no matter how absurd that decision will be) it's a validation that Floyd really is the greatest of this era.

For me, no matter how many times Pac-Floyd fight hereafter, they already lost their opportunity of engaging in an all-time greatest fight during their prime. And when they finally met, the facts are indisputable: Pac had an injured shoulder; Floyd took an IV shots that were banned by WADA; and other tactics by Floyd's camp to ensure Pac wasn't comfortable enough to fight his fight.

Listen. Floyd will never do a mistake Sugar Ray did in his 1st fight with Duran. He will never be in toe-to-toe with Pac, and particularly now at this late stage of his career. Like what he's always saying - he will have the last laugh - all the way to the bank - and all the way up there in ATG ranking. Not because he wins convincingly but because he (under PBC) controls Pac's career now and Vegas still.

Just go for the winner of Spence-Porter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:01 pm 
Heavyweight

The only way Pac can be catapulted to No. 1 P4P with either 1 or 2 fights left is this -
Go for the winner of Spence-Porter. I would like Spence to win so Pac is the one to hand him his 1st loss. If Spence can able to leap frog from No. 8 to 4 in P4P ranking from BWAA (he's currently rated No. 6 from The Ring) with just a win over the smaller Garcia, then possibly Pac can also jump (currently #10 in The Ring) to either #2 or 3 by beating another prime and yes truly big welter. Another solid win over any decent fighter at welter puts him presumably at No. 1 overtaking Loma. Or better yet a Crawford fight though seemed remote given the TR-PBF tiff, for all the marbles - as undisputed welter champ at 40s. Win and he has now a solid case to be No. 1 ATG even from the sagest of boxing experts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 pm 
Heavyweight

Doesn't Pacman have the record of staying the longest in the Ring Magazine pound-for-pound ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:49 pm 
Heavyweight

Here's the article about the topic: https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019/08 ... -number-1/

gritsteel2 wrote:
Doesn't Pacman have the record of staying the longest in the Ring Magazine pound-for-pound ?

Yes, from November 2003 to April 2016... The longest consecutive/non-stop run...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 am 
Heavyweight

Pac was P4P king in 2016 ?
Coming off a loss to Floyd a year before ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 am 
Heavyweight

Pac's the only one to hold titles in 4 decades .
That is if he doesn't fight again this year and keeps his belt through Jan 1,2020.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:15 pm 
Heavyweight

JoeyInCali wrote:
Pac was P4P king in 2016 ?
Coming off a loss to Floyd a year before ?

Not sure how WBN scores, they may have GrandPac at #2 prior and with close points margin with the #1... He ascended to #1 after beating Vargas... Maybe they ignored GrandPac's quick retirement and then honored Bradley 3 and Vargas wins with very high points...

That stint was short-lived though... They put Ward as #1 after a few weeks...

JoeyInCali wrote:
Pac's the only one to hold titles in 4 decades .
That is if he doesn't fight again this year and keeps his belt through Jan 1,2020.

He will most likely get that recognition... He already stated his intention not to fight again this year (maybe waiting for the winner of Spence-Porter), and the WBA won't strip his title...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:08 pm 
Middleweight

Pacphobia wrote:
simimik wrote:

Mohammad Ali- 1974, 1978

Correct. After he lost to JMM, pack never became no.1 p4p anymore. If I remember correct, he was not even in the top 4 boxers ever again. The KO from JMM highlighted his weakness. He suffered 3 more defeats the next 5 years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm 
Heavyweight

Pancho Pantera wrote:
Pacphobia wrote:
simimik wrote:

Mohammad Ali- 1974, 1978

Correct. After he lost to JMM, pack never became no.1 p4p anymore. If I remember correct, he was not even in the top 4 boxers ever again. The KO from JMM highlighted his weakness. He suffered 3 more defeats the next 5 years.

Wrong Blitzky... GrandPac was the #3 P4P when he fought AXF and remained as such until he retired the first time... He also suffered only 2 (not 3) defeats, both "controversial"...