Pacland's Philippine Boxing Forum

Discussion on boxing and other sports, Filipino greats and anything under the sun.
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:22 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:46 pm 

Bolo_Punch wrote:
miron_lang wrote:

Oo nga po Mod, pag dumadrive sa basket,nagmumukhang high school mga kalaban. :D

Parang mga bata sila Duncan Robinson kahit si Butler kapag inararo ni Bakulaw eh..

Chance lang nila pag hindi naka bwelo at na double agad like nung last play ng game 5.. pero pag off the miss, lalo kung long rebound.. naku hirap.

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm 
Heavyweight

Love him or hate him, LeBron James is in a league of his own
by TIM REYNOLDS, AP
JUST NOW

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida — He went to Miami and became a champion.

He went back to Cleveland and won another title.

He went to Los Angeles and now the Lakers are back atop the basketball world.

LeBron James, love him or hate him, is in his own category now. He has led three franchises to NBA titles, something nobody has ever done.
His legacy was complete long before Sunday night (Monday, Manila time), when the Los Angeles Lakers became NBA champions for the 17th time by beating the Miami Heat and winning the title to cap a season like none other, in a bubble like none other.

But that legacy is just a bit shinier now.

“I guess, as Frank Sinatra would say, I did it my way,” James said earlier in these playoffs.

He’s got four titles. He’s a four-time NBA Finals MVP, the second to win that many. He’s done it all with the NBA’s biggest target on his back, with every action and every word scrutinized and often criticized.

James has become the epitome of the independent superstar athlete, something many try to be but few even have a chance of pulling off. He does whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants and makes it work. Bill Russell will forever have more rings and Michael Jordan will forever be the choice of many as the NBA’s greatest player. And that’s OK with James, who has forged his own path.

“The game of basketball will pass me by,” James said as the title loomed. “There will be a new group of young kids and vets and rookies throughout the course of this game. So, I can’t worry about that as far as on the floor. How I move, how I walk, what I preach, what I talk about, how I inspire the next generation is what matters to me the most.”

He’s never forgotten that he was once a broke kid from Akron, Ohio. If he’s not a billionaire yet, he’s trending that way. He’s on a Wheaties box now, saying its unveiling last week was “one of the best moments of my life.” He founded a school and stays involved with matters there. He’s actively trying to get more people, particularly Black people, to vote than ever before.

Oh, if that wasn’t enough, he delivered a championship to a Lakers franchise that went 10 years without one and did so in a year when they needed it most, letting them cry tears of joy after all the tears of anguish that followed the death of Kobe Bryant in a helicopter crash in January.

“I think it’s remarkable what LeBron is still doing at his age,” Denver coach Michael Malone said of James. “The minutes he’s playing, how effective he is on both ends of the floor, and the impact he has on both ends of the floor, his will to win is just incredible.”

The 35-year-old James finished this postseason with 580 points; no one at his age had ever done that. He had 184 assists; no one at his age had ever done that. If he’s slowing down, he’s not showing it; he had 32 points in his first playoff game 14 years ago, he exceeded that six times in this postseason run.

“He’s shown why he is the player that he is, why he’s had the career and the legacy that he’s continually building,” Miami’s Jimmy Butler said.

James is 4,148 points behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the regular-season scoring lead, meaning he’ll have to play at least two more full seasons to reach that mark. Sunday was his 260th career playoff appearance, passing Derek Fisher for the all-time record. He was All-NBA for the 16th time this season, a record. He started his 16th consecutive All-Star Game this season, yet another record. More fans picked him as MVP this season than Giannis Antetokounmpo, who won the award.

There’s nothing left to prove on the basketball court.

Then again, there’s been nothing left to prove for a while now.

“I think the story will be told how it’s supposed to be told and be written how it’s supposed to be written,” James said. “But I don’t live my life thinking about legacy. What I do off the floor is what means more to me than what I do on the floor.”

What he’s done, on and off the floor, is how legends are defined.

“I just think it is a true testament to his greatness to be able to sustain this type of success year in, year out,” Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said. “Different uniforms. New players and new teams going after him. It’s a real testament to that commitment. He’s seen everything. At this point in his career, it’s just about winning.”

Others have won more. But nobody in the NBA has won the way James has.

His way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:57 pm 
Heavyweight

miron_lang wrote:
Bolo_Punch wrote:
miron_lang wrote:

Oo nga po Mod, pag dumadrive sa basket,nagmumukhang high school mga kalaban. :D

Parang mga bata sila Duncan Robinson kahit si Butler kapag inararo ni Bakulaw eh..

Chance lang nila pag hindi naka bwelo at na double agad like nung last play ng game 5.. pero pag off the miss, lalo kung long rebound.. naku hirap.

sama naman ng tawag mo kay lebron... ha ha ha

sabe nga ng asawa ko, mas may hitsura pa yan kay AD eh... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:28 pm 

chitotwothousandseven wrote:

sama naman ng tawag mo kay lebron... ha ha ha

sabe nga ng asawa ko, mas may hitsura pa yan kay AD eh... :lol: :lol:

hehe sori pre.

Yung trait ng mga bakulaw yung tinutukoy ko dun.. Yung strength kasi nila talagang kakaiba.. iba yugn muscles nila mas malakas. yun lang naman.. yung power hindi yung sa itsura... kumbaga Halimaw.. hindi naman dahil mukang halimaw hehee kungdi malakas nakakatakot hehe..

para sa mga Lebron fans: Yan po ibig ko sabihin sa "Bakulaw"

"When a table is normalized, the non-key columns depend on the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key." - a DBA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:36 pm 
Heavyweight

Duncan wrote:
Alright, just an honest-to-goodness take as an NBA fan:

Looks like Lebron has surpassed MJ as the GOAT. My takeaways:

1. As the 1st player to pilot 3 diff. teams to championships as the alpha dog, Lebron has excelled under diff. circumstances (diff. team cultures, diff. coaching strategies, diff. teammate personalities and above all diff. playing conditions – the arena without fans (his foremost advantage) and being in the bubble – a measure of mental toughness).

2. As 4x Finals MVP, Lebron has been a clear-cut choice and has outshone fellow ATGs Wade and AD (even at an advance age of 35) and other All-Stars (current and former) Bosh, Love, Irving, Rondo, Howard, Allen – who can definitely lift a Finals MVP on a good series. He upped his Finals stats and the consistency (from the time he entered the league as a HS grad) is beyond compare from other ATGs.

3. Lebron reached the NBA Finals 10x tied with Jabbar and only Russell had more (12x). Though it’s tough to compare Russell’s league (with only 10 teams that time) and the talent was concentrated only on fewer teams with Boston boasting 8 future HOFers. Clearly, Lebron was the top dog in all those Finals appearances (except maybe one season with Wade).

4. Stats wise, Lebron has been the most complete player and the most consistent from reg. season to the playoffs to the NBA Finals – in 17 years of play. In 55 Finals appearances, he ave. 28/10/8 a near triple-double. In 3 yrs. time (barring injuries), he will surpass Jabbar as the all-time pts. leader.

5. Awards – he already surpassed MJ in the All-NBA 1st Team choice and All-Star appearances; and they’re still keep coming.

6. Bad news for the haters, looks Lebron and the Lakers will continue to compete for the rings in the next 2-3 years.

Nanibago ako sa post ni Duncan...
Iniwan mo na ba duncs ang true GOAT natin?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:44 pm 
Heavyweight

LeBron James’ fourth title puts compelling twist on GOAT debate vs. Michael Jordan

Dan Wetzel
Mon, October 12, 2020, 10:05 AM GMT+8·4 mins read

When LeBron James left the Cleveland Cavaliers two years ago to join a truly lousy Los Angeles Lakers team that had neither won 40 games nor been to the playoffs since 2013 (when they lost in the first round), plenty of critics felt the move was about lifestyle, business interests and weather.

It turns out, quite quickly, it was about winning another (at least) NBA championship. In the process, it adds not just a data point to his eternal “greatest of all time” debate with Michael Jordan, but actually changes the terms of the argument altogether.
[Yahoo Store: Get your Los Angeles Lakers championship gear right here!]

James, the NBA Finals MVP, scored 28 points and had 14 rebounds and 10 assists Sunday night to help lead Los Angeles over the Miami Heat 106-93, winning the Finals 4-2 for the franchise’s 17th NBA championship. It was LeBron’s fourth title personally (and fourth Finals MVP honor), adding to the two he won in Miami (2012-13) and one in Cleveland (2016).

That fourth title probably isn’t going to sway to the pro-Michael crowd. Jordan, after all, has six titles in six finals appearances, none of which went past six games. LeBron is just 4-6 in the Finals, although his 10 Finals appearances, including nine of the last 10, is a resume line in and of itself.

However, the Lakers are the third franchise LeBron has led to the Larry O’Brien Trophy, and make no mistake, he led the Lakers there. They won just 35 games the year before he arrived. Anthony Davis came a season later in a blockbuster trade, but LeBron’s presence was part of making the Lakers attractive.

In terms of the MJ-LeBron battle, this is a plus on James’ side. He’s now the central figure (or co-central figure) for four championships on three completely different teams.

He joined Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh (not to mention Ray Allen, Shane Battier and others) to form a supersquad in Miami and won twice. He then returned to Cleveland to carry a lesser group to a heroic 3-1 Finals comeback against the mighty Golden State Warriors. Now he took over a hibernating Lakers franchise and won again.

Michael Jordan didn’t do that.
That doesn’t mean Jordan should be punished for it. After all, he didn’t have the opportunity to do that. He played for the Chicago Bulls only (at least until a forgettable couple of years with Washington at age 38 and 39).

Despite Jordan’s many feuds with Bulls management, the franchise was expertly run and coached when he was there. Jerry Krause, Jordan’s archenemy and the Bulls’ GM, deftly rebuilt the supporting cast around the triumvirate of Jordan, Scottie Pippen and coach Phil Jackson.

Jordan’s first three titles were won with Horace Grant, B.J. Armstrong, Bill Cartwright and John Paxson helping. After a nearly two year experiment with baseball, Jordan was back full time with Dennis Rodman, Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley and Steve Kerr as the supporting cast.

If LeBron had that kind of stability and talent around him, he may never have left Cleveland in the first place. Instead, he had to bail due to mismanagement.

In Miami, he found not just great players, but the Pat Riley-dominated culture of the Heat. After four years and four Finals, James took what he learned, returned to Cleveland and finally delivered a long-awaited title to the fans of Northeast Ohio. He felt he owed them that.

Still, Cleveland could never get it all together. James getting the Cavs even a single title makes local fans celebrate the era. Yet at some point basketball historians will look back and wonder how Cleveland could have had one of the greatest — if not thegreatest — player of all time (or certainly his generation) for 11 seasons across two stints with the club and collect just one championship.

In terms of the Jordan debate, the entire thing can now be reframed — and that’s with LeBron still capable of adding a fifth championship or more to his collection. L.A. should be a favorite heading into next year also — if anything, this title came a year early. And while James will turn 36 in December, there clearly is still something in the tank.

For a long time, the knock on LeBron was that he feasted on the weak Eastern Conference. Well, that’s over. The Lakers own the West.
By rebuilding the Lakers almost overnight, LeBron can counter Jordan’s perfect record in the Finals (something he obviously can never match) with an entirely different perspective (that Jordan can never match).

LeBron has won wherever he went. Find a team, and LeBron will deliver a title.

He is capable of overcoming dysfunction, rebuilds, different coaches and uncertainty with a combination of talent, attitude and leadership. He is the X-factor.

Is that better than a 6-0 Finals mark for Michael Jordan with a brilliantly operated Bulls organization?

If nothing else, it’s a new twist in the old debate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:22 pm 
Heavyweight

JABEZJ wrote:
Duncan wrote:

1. As the 1st player to pilot 3 diff. teams to championships as the alpha dog, Lebron has excelled under diff. circumstances (diff. team cultures, diff. coaching strategies, diff. teammate personalities and above all diff. playing conditions – the arena without fans (his foremost advantage) and being in the bubble – a measure of mental toughness).

2. As 4x Finals MVP, Lebron has been a clear-cut choice and has outshone fellow ATGs Wade and AD (even at an advance age of 35) and other All-Stars (current and former) Bosh, Love, Irving, Rondo, Howard, Allen – who can definitely lift a Finals MVP on a good series. He upped his Finals stats and the consistency (from the time he entered the league as a HS grad) is beyond compare from other ATGs.

3. Lebron reached the NBA Finals 10x tied with Jabbar and only Russell had more (12x). Though it’s tough to compare Russell’s league (with only 10 teams that time) and the talent was concentrated only on fewer teams with Boston boasting 8 future HOFers. Clearly, Lebron was the top dog in all those Finals appearances (except maybe one season with Wade).

4. Stats wise, Lebron has been the most complete player and the most consistent from reg. season to the playoffs to the NBA Finals – in 17 years of play. In 55 Finals appearances, he ave. 28/10/8 a near triple-double. In 3 yrs. time (barring injuries), he will surpass Jabbar as the all-time pts. leader.

5. Awards – he already surpassed MJ in the All-NBA 1st Team choice and All-Star appearances; and they’re still keep coming.

6. Bad news for the haters, looks Lebron and the Lakers will continue to compete for the rings in the next 2-3 years.

Nanibago ako sa post ni Duncan...
Iniwan mo na ba duncs ang true GOAT natin?

di pa yan, nag la lie low lang yang si bro duncan.. bawi yan next season... :D

dyusme, sana matapos na tong covid na to... :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:08 am 
Heavyweight

In the Finals, Lebron averaged 29.8 points, 11.8 rebounds and 8.5 assists and shot 59.1% from the field, including 41.7% on 3-pointers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:58 am 
Middleweight

LeBron James will never be the Greatest of All Time.

Here are 10 reasons why he’ll never top Michael Jordan:

1. James took the easy way out. He orchestrated super teams with players he’d otherwise have to beat. He’s joined forces with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love and Anthony Davis. He started a terrible trend in the NBA, a movement steeped in fast lanes and personal gratification, a movement focused only on the destination and not the journey. He spawned a generation of players who want to short-cut their way to the mountaintop.

That strategy will get you the ring. But it will never command universal respect, a consequence that haunts James and Kevin Durant to this day.

Related Links
Suns offseason questions: What does the wing group look like next year?
Kevin Young rejoins Monty Williams as assistant coach with Phoenix Suns
Do you know how many players would’ve tripped over themselves to play with Jordan in the 1990s? Do you know how good Jordan would’ve been as a recruiter if he didn’t find the notion so despicable?

2. And did you hear what James said after winning his fourth title?

“We just want our respect,” James said. “(General manager) Rob (Pelinka) wants his respect. Coach (Frank) Vogel wants his respect. Our organization wants their respect. Laker Nation wants their respect. And I want my damn respect, too.”

Jordan would never utter those words. He never had to demand his damn respect.

3. The 2020 NBA Finals were a television ratings disaster. That would never happen if James was the G.O.A.T. sports fans would’ve dropped everything to watch him play basketball, just like we did with Jordan.

But we don’t need to see James play anymore because there’s nothing all that compelling about his game. When things get tight, he bull-rushes his way to the basket, overpowering defenders with his size. He’s never had a match for the artistry of Jordan. His palette is far more brutish and intellectual.

4. A 10-part documentary of Jordan averaged 5.6 million viewers. Or not that far from the number James and the Lakers posted while clinching the NBA title.

5. James gets too much credit for losing six times in the NBA Finals. Former teammate and Sun Devil great Eddie House accused him of quitting on his team during a Finals loss against Dallas. James also recklessly punched a whiteboard following a Game 1 Finals loss to the Warriors, suffering a bone contusion that helped lead to a Golden State sweep.

He made nine appearances as the Eastern Conference finalist, during a time when most of the elite teams were located in the West. Spare me the value of second place.

6. James is a physical behemoth thriving in the softest era of basketball on record. In Jordan’s heyday, you could physically assault an opponent and not even draw a flagrant foul. In 2020, you might get arrested.

7. Jordan has a scrapbook full of transcendent, highlight-reel moments in the Finals: The mid-air, switch-handed layup against Magic’s Lakers, the shrug against Portland; the pose after his game-winning shot against the Jazz.

James has a pivotal blocked shot against the Warriors in the NBA Finals. The title-winning shot belongs to Kyrie Irving.

8. Supporters say James deals with more distractions and obstacles. He is a polarizing figure, to be sure, surrounded by haters and constantly baited by Skip Bayless and Jason Whitlock, two high-ranking members of the sports media. Still:

Nothing motivated Jordan more than his critics, real and perceived. The social media climate in 2020 would’ve spurred him to even greater heights. Just imagine what he would’ve done to mute the Twitter trolls and torch the entire cesspool.

9. Forget the playoffs. Jordan never took a play off. He understood his responsibility to the NBA and the game of basketball, and he never managed his load or took a night off. He never gave a regular-season audience anything less than his best. I know this for a fact, having sat courtside for most of his career.

Jordan is also one of three players to win Most Valuable Player and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. James is not on that list.

10. Jordan averaged over 40 points per game in five different playoff series. Only four other players have done that before Jordan, and they only did it once (Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Rick Barry, Albert King).

James has never done it because he’s never had a carry a team on his back, up the mountain, all by himself. That was by choice. His choice. One that will forever carry enormous consequences.

BRONSEXUALS!!! ATTACK!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:27 am 
Heavyweight

Palamu_Ninja wrote:
LeBron James will never be the Greatest of All Time.

Here are 10 reasons why he’ll never top Michael Jordan:

1. James took the easy way out. He orchestrated super teams with players he’d otherwise have to beat. He’s joined forces with Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love and Anthony Davis. He started a terrible trend in the NBA, a movement steeped in fast lanes and personal gratification, a movement focused only on the destination and not the journey. He spawned a generation of players who want to short-cut their way to the mountaintop.

That strategy will get you the ring. But it will never command universal respect, a consequence that haunts James and Kevin Durant to this day.

Related Links
Suns offseason questions: What does the wing group look like next year?
Kevin Young rejoins Monty Williams as assistant coach with Phoenix Suns
Do you know how many players would’ve tripped over themselves to play with Jordan in the 1990s? Do you know how good Jordan would’ve been as a recruiter if he didn’t find the notion so despicable?

2. And did you hear what James said after winning his fourth title?

“We just want our respect,” James said. “(General manager) Rob (Pelinka) wants his respect. Coach (Frank) Vogel wants his respect. Our organization wants their respect. Laker Nation wants their respect. And I want my damn respect, too.”

Jordan would never utter those words. He never had to demand his damn respect.

3. The 2020 NBA Finals were a television ratings disaster. That would never happen if James was the G.O.A.T. sports fans would’ve dropped everything to watch him play basketball, just like we did with Jordan.

But we don’t need to see James play anymore because there’s nothing all that compelling about his game. When things get tight, he bull-rushes his way to the basket, overpowering defenders with his size. He’s never had a match for the artistry of Jordan. His palette is far more brutish and intellectual.

4. A 10-part documentary of Jordan averaged 5.6 million viewers. Or not that far from the number James and the Lakers posted while clinching the NBA title.

5. James gets too much credit for losing six times in the NBA Finals. Former teammate and Sun Devil great Eddie House accused him of quitting on his team during a Finals loss against Dallas. James also recklessly punched a whiteboard following a Game 1 Finals loss to the Warriors, suffering a bone contusion that helped lead to a Golden State sweep.

He made nine appearances as the Eastern Conference finalist, during a time when most of the elite teams were located in the West. Spare me the value of second place.

6. James is a physical behemoth thriving in the softest era of basketball on record. In Jordan’s heyday, you could physically assault an opponent and not even draw a flagrant foul. In 2020, you might get arrested.

7. Jordan has a scrapbook full of transcendent, highlight-reel moments in the Finals: The mid-air, switch-handed layup against Magic’s Lakers, the shrug against Portland; the pose after his game-winning shot against the Jazz.

James has a pivotal blocked shot against the Warriors in the NBA Finals. The title-winning shot belongs to Kyrie Irving.

8. Supporters say James deals with more distractions and obstacles. He is a polarizing figure, to be sure, surrounded by haters and constantly baited by Skip Bayless and Jason Whitlock, two high-ranking members of the sports media. Still:

Nothing motivated Jordan more than his critics, real and perceived. The social media climate in 2020 would’ve spurred him to even greater heights. Just imagine what he would’ve done to mute the Twitter trolls and torch the entire cesspool.

9. Forget the playoffs. Jordan never took a play off. He understood his responsibility to the NBA and the game of basketball, and he never managed his load or took a night off. He never gave a regular-season audience anything less than his best. I know this for a fact, having sat courtside for most of his career.

Jordan is also one of three players to win Most Valuable Player and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. James is not on that list.

10. Jordan averaged over 40 points per game in five different playoff series. Only four other players have done that before Jordan, and they only did it once (Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Rick Barry, Albert King).

James has never done it because he’s never had a carry a team on his back, up the mountain, all by himself. That was by choice. His choice. One that will forever carry enormous consequences.

BRONSEXUALS!!! ATTACK!!

All you posted here are true because you're one of Lebron's most bitter & envious HATERS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:17 am 
Welterweight

Grabe naman itong hater na ito.

https://youtu.be/xqVIDt0ibGE

Easiest cahmpionship in the last 35 years daw?
Gusto pa lagyan ng asterisk itong 4th ring ni LeBron!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:18 am 
Heavyweight

I think Lebron still has some ways to go to equal MJ, but much respect for your post pareng Duncan :D
Duncan wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:09 pm 
Heavyweight

Sabi ni Pat Riley, may asterisk daw ang latest ring ni Lebron...
Not 100% daw si Adebayo and hindi nakapaglaro ang leading scorer nila na si Dragic...

If that's the case, asterisk then ang Toronto ring last year (hindi 100% healthy ang big 3 ng GSW) and ang ring ng GSW in 2015 (wala sina Love at Irving)... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:33 pm 
Heavyweight

bitter lang yan iniwan kasi ni pirswayp este Lebron :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:42 pm 
Heavyweight

Malamang bitter...

Bitter si Riley dahil nasibak as LA coach....
Bitter dahil iniwan ni Lebron....

Bitter dahil hindi nag champion...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139  Next